Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up --- Bug Reports --- Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Building Workbench  (Read 952 times)

yo1dog

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 11:02:49 pm
    • MikeArcade
Building Workbench
« on: January 05, 2019, 04:38:23 am »
Over the break I am finally building myself a proper workbench. I have been working off a $100 Harbor Freight "workbench" with stick legs and 2 folding tables. Try using a #7 plane on those... This is the first step towards getting my shop setup now that I know I will be in my current residence for the foreseeable future.

I have read about 4 books about workbenches with my favorite being "The Workbench Design Book - The Art & Philosophy of Building Better Benches" by Christopher Schwarz. He goes pretty in depth on ancient designs as well as some modernization for modern tools. I really like his philosophy: they have been using the same workbench designs for thousands of years for a good reason - don't reinvent the wheel unless you have a very good reason or specific usage. He is also very practical with his advice on the actual construction which mostly agrees with my experience with benches.

Anyway, I am building a Rubo bench out of Southern Yellow Pine. No, it's not hardwood and yes, it will be fine. Without getting too deep into the debate, SYP is very cheap and plentiful around here, is decently hard, has a good weight, and all the books recommend it. I can always put a hardwood layer on top later if I want.

I picked through the construction grade stuff at Home Depot and brought home 18 2"x10"x8' and 3 2"x10"x12' for $130. The good thing about the 10" (and 12") boards is that they are mostly flat sawn boards which you can rip in half for nice quarter sawn boards. Watch out for pith. I would later learn I was not picky enough (or just unlucky) and had to replace 3 of the 8 footers ($18) due to them having too much internal stress. Some of the boards are also wet with an upwards of 17%MC according to my cheap $40 moisture sensor. One of the boards was soaked at over 35%MC! I passed on that one too. They can also be pretty out-of-square. Combine that with internal stress and expect to mill off 1-2" if you need the full length. It's construction grade, you get what you pay for.
:dunno

Still in the process of milling it all down.

drewjbx

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 16, 2019, 08:00:27 am
Re: Building Workbench
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2019, 11:07:27 am »
Garage full of sawdust... getting work done. awesome!
Heavy duty work bench is a must!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yo1dog

• Offline Offline
    • MikeArcade
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2019, 11:47:01 am »
Yea this project quickly overwhelmed my shop vac I was coasting on. I have since purchased this portable 1hp dust collector: https://www.woodcraft.com/products/rikon-portable-dust-collector-with-wall-mount

Works well enough. The large shavings from the jointer will clog it if I take off too much too quickly. Regardless, it's way better than the shop vac and is a good temporary solution before I get my real dust collection system in place.

(BTW I don't use the funnel it came with. I attach it directly to the jointer and table saw dust port.)
« Last Edit: January 05, 2019, 11:49:06 am by yo1dog »

yo1dog

• Offline Offline
    • MikeArcade
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2019, 11:59:47 am »
Here's the plan for my 3 garage shop (only using 2 spots so the wife can park her car). I already own all the tools. They just need a proper home!

drewjbx

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 16, 2019, 08:00:27 am
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2019, 05:16:05 pm »
Nice layout and well equipped... that table saw have router as well? Would like to get 4x8 CNC table... one day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yo1dog

• Offline Offline
    • MikeArcade
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2019, 03:07:35 pm »
Yea the router table is built into the end of the table saw. I can also switch the router out for an oscillating spindle sander. Similar to this: http://toolmonger.com/2007/08/27/rocklers-router-table-insert-for-porter-cable%E2%80%99s-spindle-sander/

A full sheet CNC would be awesome.

yo1dog

• Offline Offline
    • MikeArcade
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2019, 03:07:58 pm »
Some progress pics

bperkins01

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 09:31:08 pm
  • Plenty of skills.. gaining experience..
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2019, 11:40:48 pm »
Looks overdue!  With the nice Powermatic Tablesaw and Jointer..  You need a real bench!
My Arcade Build and other projects here:
https://bperkins.wordpress.com/

yo1dog

• Offline Offline
    • MikeArcade
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2019, 12:38:12 am »
It absolutely is. Part of the reason is because until recently I was unsure of how long I was going to be in my current house and I didn't want to build a huge heavy bench if I was moving soon. Another reason was that I get little shop time these days and I was preferring to use that time on projects instead. But, this has been a fun project!

bperkins01

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 09:31:08 pm
  • Plenty of skills.. gaining experience..
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2019, 09:59:35 am »
Shop furniture is reward to build..  You'll find more things to do soon!
My Arcade Build and other projects here:
https://bperkins.wordpress.com/