Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Arcade OSD reset  (Read 2524 times)

Retro77

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 29, 2023, 08:50:10 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Arcade OSD reset
« on: November 27, 2018, 03:15:27 pm »
Hi all,

I have an issue with Arcade OSD and resolutions that reappear after a reboot. I have a set of resolutions that are working really well with Groovymame. I have checked them all with Arcade OSD and they all display properly.

The problem I have is that when I power the system on and run Arcade OSD again it shows a few resolutions that can't be displayed on my monitor (I am using a 15 khz arcade monitor).

It shows, for example 640 X 480 at 15hz which works but it also shows 640 X 480 at 31hz which doesn't work.

As far as I can tell this resolution isn't on my resolution list but it shows on the list when I load up the PC. Retroarch chooses it when quitting a game and forces me to switch user to get the screen stable again.

Does anyone have any idea why this might be happening?

Cheers.

buttersoft

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 22, 2024, 12:55:20 am
  • Is running at 15kHz
Re: Arcade OSD reset
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2018, 10:19:04 pm »
Have you checked the "hide modes this monitor can't display" box in windows display properties? And stopped and disabled the AMD External Events Utility service (type "services" in the start menu)?

I'm unclear on the sequence of events here. As admin, you have a modelist showing only the modes you want. However, when you reboot, as admin, modes you do not want (31kHz) appear in the modelist. Some programs (retroarch) are capable of grabbing these resolutions even though you don't want them to. Which seems straightforward so far, and will hopefully be fixed by the above comment. But to fix this you're... what, logging out and logging in again as a different user? Also i'm confused as to how you mean the modelines go away, in order to reappear when you reboot? Or did you mean that you install only the modes you want, but then after a single reboot the ones you don't get added to the list and don't go away again before subsequent reboots?
« Last Edit: November 28, 2018, 12:02:29 am by buttersoft »

Retro77

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2018, 02:56:15 am »
I will try and explain myself a bit better.

I have a modeline list hat when installed via VMMaker, Arcade OSD only shows 15khz modelines. Yet, if I restart the PC, Arcade OSD shows the same list but with 3 modelines that are out of range for my 15khz monitor.

I have disabled AMD external event utility and I have ticked the 'hide modes this monitor can't display'. I have no idea where these other modelines are coming from?

The Retroarch issue is that by default it selects the 31hz 640 X 480 resolution when quitting Retroarch. So I have to switch user, then log back into my admin account to regain focus. As I can't see the screen properly the actions I am taking are CTRL, ALT and Delete, down arrow once then enter. This will show the switch user screen (focused) and allow me to log back in as the same account.

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 14, 2024, 05:26:05 am
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2018, 03:22:41 am »
Hi Retro77,

1.- What card are you using?
2.- CRT Emudriver version?
3.- Have you enabled EDID emulation?
Important note: posts reporting GM issues without a log will be IGNORED.
Steps to create a log:
 - From command line, run: groovymame.exe -v romname >romname.txt
 - Attach resulting romname.txt file to your post, instead of pasting it.

CRT Emudriver, VMMaker & Arcade OSD downloads, documentation and discussion:  Eiusdemmodi

Retro77

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2018, 06:03:13 am »
Hi Calamity,

The card installed is an ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5000 Series. This is what is listed in Device Manager.

I have CRT EmuDriver 2.0 (12.6) (Full folder name is crt_emudriver_&_tools_2.0_beta_10_12.6_W.7.8.10-64) installed. Also, EDID emulation is enabled. I get an unstable picture on my arcade monitor without it.

I have only just noticed this issue when trying to add a few console games that work with arcade controls to my cab so it could have always been like this and I just haven't noticed. But I have recently updated GroovyMAME (+romset) to .203 as well. Just a thought, but does the mame.ini need to be produced again? Could this be the issue?

Thanks
« Last Edit: November 28, 2018, 06:09:42 am by Retro77 »

Retro77

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2018, 07:16:44 am »
I have fixed this issue now. I have re-installed CRT emudriver (this time using latest Crimson version instead of catalyst). I have restarted several times and the undesired resolutions are no longer showing.

Very pleased with the results. Thanks Calamity for your hard work.

:cheers: