Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Split, Merged and non merged...which one do I need?  (Read 215 times)

CXK

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Split, Merged and non merged...which one do I need?
« on: November 04, 2018, 10:52:08 pm »
I'm looking to update my rom set. I assume moving to a newer version of MAME will help some games run better since I'm running games from .139 currently.

I've always just used one zip file per rom. mk2.zip and thats all I needed. I'd like to continue that way since its easy. Would that method be split or merged? or something else? lol Thanks

TheElectricMonk

• Offline Offline
Re: Split, Merged and non merged...which one do I need?
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2018, 03:53:57 pm »

JDFan

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2018, 04:08:37 pm »
I'm looking to update my rom set. I assume moving to a newer version of MAME will help some games run better since I'm running games from .139 currently.

I've always just used one zip file per rom. mk2.zip and thats all I needed. I'd like to continue that way since its easy. Would that method be split or merged? or something else? lol Thanks

Some will run better some worse - depending on the computer system you are using since newer mame versions require higher levels of performance even on older roms due to new shaders etc. that have been refined - so depending on the games you play and the system you play on - performance may be better or may be worse with a newer mame version.

That would be non merged !  WIth the non merged each zip has the entire game inside each zip file so you can delete any without effecting others ( ie. if you delete a parent rom the child roms can still be played since their zip file contains a copy of all the files from the parent that they need.) That method takes up the most HDD space for storage since each game has a copy of all the files they need packed inside the zip file ( so if there are 20 child roms of a certain parent game you will have 20 copies of some of the same files so it takes more space - but is much more convenient if you plan on going through and deleting some games since deleting 1 does not cause the 20 others to stop working also !)
« Last Edit: November 06, 2018, 04:11:18 pm by JDFan »

CXK

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2018, 09:25:28 pm »
Thank you for clearing it up! I think I'll hold off then. Everything I really want to play works, only a few games I kind of cared about didn't work. The PC I'm running it on is almost 15 years old. Its an AMD 4200+ with 2gb of ram so I don't want to push it too hard.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31