Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Advice on connecting a PS2 with gun con 2 with RGB arcade monitor  (Read 279 times)

Zebra

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
I want to connect a PS2 to my tri-sync arcade monitor (cga, ega vga) and use a Guncon 2 (In 15khz mode).

The monitor has a standard arcade RGBS molex port and a 15 pin d-sub (vga style) port that accepts RGBS and RGBHV. I also have an Extron RGB interface that could convert sync on green to composite sync if needed.

Would I be able to connect a Guncon 2 to the green or sync line from one of the cheap PS2 scart cables or a Ultimarc PS2 to db15 cable for tri-sync arcade monitors? I noticed that people who use PS2 component video cables are able to connect their Guncon to the green plug. I was wondering if it could work the same way with RGB.

I am trying to avoid spending $50 on a scart cable with Guncon from the UK, plus another $40 for scart to BNC adapters given that I bought this PS2 used for $35.... and I know how to solder a wire if necessary...

RandyT

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Offline Offline
  • Friends don't let friends hack keyboards.
    • GroovyGameGear.com
Re: Advice on connecting a PS2 with gun con 2 with RGB arcade monitor
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2018, 01:17:49 pm »

If you aren't able to open up the PS2 and do some soldering, you would need a sync separator.  There are some plans out there to build a simple one from a chip and a few support components.  You would also need a component cable with composite video out (for the GunCon to attach to) and the appropriate adapters to connect to your monitor.

I just did the legwork to find a usable sync signal on a 50000 model unit.  If you have one of these, there are 3 pretty simple to use solder points for H, V and Composite which seem to work well on my big Mitsubishis.

Zebra

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2018, 05:12:29 pm »

If you aren't able to open up the PS2 and do some soldering, you would need a sync separator.  There are some plans out there to build a simple one from a chip and a few support components.  You would also need a component cable with composite video out (for the GunCon to attach to) and the appropriate adapters to connect to your monitor.

I just did the legwork to find a usable sync signal on a 50000 model unit.  If you have one of these, there are 3 pretty simple to use solder points for H, V and Composite which seem to work well on my big Mitsubishis.

I already have a sync seperator in my rgb cable and another one in my RGB interface. I just need to know what signal the Guncon needs to connect to. I have R,G,B and S output. I need to find out which of these connect to the Guncon.

RandyT

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Offline Offline
  • Friends don't let friends hack keyboards.
    • GroovyGameGear.com
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2018, 02:27:04 pm »

I already have a sync seperator in my rgb cable and another one in my RGB interface. I just need to know what signal the Guncon needs to connect to. I have R,G,B and S output. I need to find out which of these connect to the Guncon.

I could be mistaken, but it is my understanding that the composite video connection to the GunCon is simply a source for it to acquire a composite sync signal.  I would try giving it a composite sync and see what happens.

Zebra

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2018, 02:59:48 pm »

I could be mistaken, but it is my understanding that the composite video connection to the GunCon is simply a source for it to acquire a composite sync signal.  I would try giving it a composite sync and see what happens.

You are correct. I got an answer from another forum saying the same. It just needs a sync signal from either SOG or composite sync. Sounds easy enough especially because I plan to use a breakout board to go from my PS3 vga cable to my arcade monitor (so I don't have to unplug my mame pc).

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31