Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: "effect" option causing audio pitch problems?  (Read 249 times)

cools

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Arcade Otaku sysadmin...
    • Arcade Otaku
"effect" option causing audio pitch problems?
« on: September 26, 2018, 05:46:10 pm »
Perfect audio: groovymame64 rtype -effect none
Messy audio (pitch rising and falling): groovymame64 rtype -effect scanlines

Logs attached. I don't see any difference between them.
Please don't PM me with support questions. Ask in public so everyone can learn!

Calamity

• Offline Offline
Re: "effect" option causing audio pitch problems?
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2018, 03:29:01 am »
I'd say the -effect scanlines feature is very resource hungry on high resolutions, so it must be causing speed drops. But your logs show the speed is 100%, which apparently is fine but because it's an average it could be masking the slowdowns.

As a note, with cards older than the HD 6xxx I've always had troubles using super resolutions above 240p-288p
Important note: posts reporting GM issues without a log will be IGNORED.
Steps to create a log:
 - From command line, run: groovymame.exe -v romname >romname.txt
 - Attach resulting romname.txt file to your post, instead or pasting it.

CRT Emudriver, VMMaker & Arcade OSD downloads, documentation and discussion:  Eiusdemmodi

cools

• Offline Offline
    • Arcade Otaku
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2018, 05:30:21 am »
This was working perfectly on the same hardware in the past. If I try bgfx instead it's fine, but I get static tearing.

Watching the in-game speed % it doesn't wobble at all, and it doesn't feeling like the emulation is slowing down either. I'm not convinced it's resource related but I'll try with non-super resolutions when I get a chance.

You keep trying to convince me to upgrade my cards but so far I've genuinely found no difference from the XFX 4350's I started with - those worked perfectly with super resolutions and fake scanlines with the older CRT_Emudriver. Every time I upgrade it's a pain grabbing a PC monitor and doing all the cable swapping - I'm sure you secretly have 200 eBay accounts pushing fanless old Radeons ;)

I'll play around some more and see what I can establish. Normal resolutions, and older versions of GM.

Calamity

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2018, 05:46:39 am »
 ;D

Try to figure out the pain when some random user complains about an issue with an old HD 4xxx and I have to open my test box, plug in the the old 4350, reinstall drivers, loose all configurations, just to confirm it's a legit bug (which very often it's not). But yeah, you gave me an idea with the ebay thing  :D

Just in case, in version 17i I made a change in the audio sync part that was breaking save states, so I'd start by confirming 17h was free of the issue.
Important note: posts reporting GM issues without a log will be IGNORED.
Steps to create a log:
 - From command line, run: groovymame.exe -v romname >romname.txt
 - Attach resulting romname.txt file to your post, instead or pasting it.

CRT Emudriver, VMMaker & Arcade OSD downloads, documentation and discussion:  Eiusdemmodi

cools

• Offline Offline
    • Arcade Otaku
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2018, 06:33:09 am »
Will do. Got a 6450 on the way from one of your shill accounts ;)

cools

• Offline Offline
    • Arcade Otaku
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2018, 09:59:09 am »
Using a lower super resolution sorted it, so you were right about it being resource (or card) led. It's still bugging me that it was working flawlessly before. I'm going to try the 6450 soon and see what happens.

I didn't know "effect" was a purely software option. Wondering if there's a BGFX or HLSL method that can do the equivalent on the GPU.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31