Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Picking a PC  (Read 415 times)

morton

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Picking a PC
« on: September 26, 2018, 09:07:31 am »
I am wanting to try out GroovyMame, but am having trouble ascertaining what exactly I need to be looking for in a PC. My plan is to run it in a cab on 15khz with a JPAC and games upto about the early 2000s at most. Nothing too crazy. Some builds are quite expensive, and know that I can get by using something more modest if I don't ask too much of it. I have seen people suggest pre built PCs like a Dell Optiplex i5 and so on, but am not sure what the requirements for GroovyMame even are. Any help would be appreciated, I am a noob - currently a Pi user.

donluca

• Offline Offline
Re: Picking a PC
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2018, 10:07:17 am »
Try getting an old Pentium G3258 and overclock it and you'll run everything that MAME currently supports, besides some of the more modern 3D midway games.

And, of course, a Radeon card.

keilmillerjr

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Web Developer.
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2018, 11:46:40 am »
Processor requirements I believe would be no different than mame.

I have an i3 2100 and it runs things like blitz and gauntdl well over 100%. I choose an i-series processor to help keep the computer up to date longer. Apple has been dropping support for intel core series.

Video cards need to be crt emudriver compatible. I am currently running an hd5450. Mame uses mostly processor for graphics, so a “shlttier” video card is fine. However, steam gameplay results can vary because of this. Need to know if you want mame only or other games too to determine what video card you should choose.

Ram doesn’t need to be high.

Choose an ssd to improve boot times and make it seem more authentic. Hiding windows helps in authenticity feeling too. I use win 10 1607 enterprise and easily completely hide win UI. Some use windows 7. Some use xp - but your dealing with an old unsupported platform.

morton

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2018, 08:12:10 am »
It sounds like I can get away with an old Dell Optiplex or something like that. An i3 or i5 with about 3.0ghz would suffice? I am ordering a Jpac and am going to go with SSD for sure.

If I like shmups a lot, would I be needing something better or faster to play any 2000's games?

Zebidee

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2018, 04:00:40 pm »
Core2duo or i3 or better running Windows 7 or Win 10 would be best/easiest. You can use Win XP but then you're limited as the latest versions of CRT_emudriver don't support XP. Similarly you may have issues with drivers and running other post-2014 applications on XP.

Having said all that, I'm currently using XP 64bit on core2duo HP ex-desktops with 2GB ram and 64MB Radeon X1050 graphics cards, and they run fine 100% on every vertical game I've tried so far except "Brave Blade", which is a 3D game (runs at about 95% normal speed). I suspect that the main limitation with Brave Blade is the low-spec graphics card.
Check out my completed projects!

Sledge

• Online Online
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2018, 09:24:13 pm »
I use a Dell Optiplex 9010 or something like that :)
Low Profile GPU...
perfection!

keilmillerjr

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Web Developer.
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2018, 06:55:25 am »
It sounds like I can get away with an old Dell Optiplex or something like that. An i3 or i5 with about 3.0ghz would suffice? I am ordering a Jpac and am going to go with SSD for sure.

If I like shmups a lot, would I be needing something better or faster to play any 2000's games?

Yes. Your choice is a good one. Will perform and save money. Makes me think I should have gone that route.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31