Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: [SOLVED] SNES Tin Star with Aimtrak?  (Read 2669 times)

TheElectricMonk

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 06, 2022, 04:17:57 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
[SOLVED] SNES Tin Star with Aimtrak?
« on: August 23, 2018, 04:27:13 am »
Dear lightgun experts, once again I need your help.

I've gotten most of the SNES lightgun games to work with snes9x, but Tin Star uses the SNES mouse, not the Super Scope, and doesn't react to my AimTrak gun.

If I run the game in SuperScope mode via command line, I can't start it as the game doesn't recognize the controller start button. If I start it in Justifier mode, the game can start but won't recognize the fire button. I can switch to Super Scope or Justifier in the emulator menu after the game has started, but the aim is way off (the shots show up about an inch above the crosshairs, and there is no way to calibrate).

Another thing I've tried is running an AHK script that maps mouse cursor movement to up/down/left/right cursor keys. Configured the game to gamepad mode and started it this way - which works fine as long as I'm using a normal PC mouse, but unfortunately not with the AimTrak.  :(

Has anyone found a clever way (or perhaps another emulator) that can play Tin Star (and Shien's Revenge, I guess) with the AimTrak?

As always, thanks for your help.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2018, 07:11:55 pm by TheElectricMonk »

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 15, 2024, 10:59:21 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
Re: SNES Tin Star (and other SNES mouse games) with Aimtrak?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2018, 02:24:43 pm »
Shouldn't you just set it to mouse?  Nearly all PC lightguns are more or less mice.  Also doesn't snes9x allow you to remap buttons?

TheElectricMonk

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2018, 04:41:10 pm »
Shouldn't you just set it to mouse?  Nearly all PC lightguns are more or less mice.  Also doesn't snes9x allow you to remap buttons?

Ah, my bad, I should have clarified. If I set it to mouse, the cursor does react, but at the slightest movement of the gun it just instantly jumps from one corner of the screen to the other.
I can remap A/B/X/Y/L/R buttons to whatever gun button I'm using, but that's not the problem, the fire button is recognized. I can't remap the "up" key to "gun position -y" for example.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 15, 2024, 10:59:21 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2018, 09:29:08 pm »
Well you are using an amitrak, which is a lightgun.  You shouldn't be mapping anything to the up key as you want mouse style movement.  Typcially if you enable the snes mouse in a snes emulator your pcs actual mouse "just works"  Aimtraks have a mouse mode so you should use that.  You might have to calibrate the guns before everything works. 

I'm not familiar with the latest versions of snes9x though so something might have changed. 

TheElectricMonk

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2018, 03:44:33 am »
You shouldn't be mapping anything to the up key as you want mouse style movement.

I know, that was just my attempt at a workaround. Which didn't work.  ;)

Typcially if you enable the snes mouse in a snes emulator your pcs actual mouse "just works"  Aimtraks have a mouse mode so you should use that.  You might have to calibrate the guns before everything works. 

I am using the Aimtrak in mouse mode, and it works with all other 107 games I have on the cab. Weird.

TheElectricMonk

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2018, 04:09:30 am »
OK, I don't know what kind of brain fart I originally had, but if I start the game with -port2 superscope in the command line, I actually get a Super Scope calibration screen before the game starts. I was 100% sure I had tried that before, but apparently I hadn't.

I have to end calibration with the player 2 start button, but that's easily redefined as one of the gun buttons. Problem solved, at least for Tin Star. I'll have to see about Shien's Revenge when I get home from work tonight.

TheElectricMonk

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2018, 07:11:22 pm »
Oh well, Shien's Revenge seems to be unplayable with the Super Scope / with only an Aimtrak gun and no joypad, as the weapon selection is triggered by the joypad buttons according to the manual. Never mind then.