Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Using Reyann Zero Delay Arcade USB Encoder + Rpi3b+ Works on wheel not in MAME  (Read 4947 times)

mrclean

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 10, 2022, 08:30:36 am
  • World Record Holder for Gun Smoke Dedicated & MAME
    • Guscade
Using Reyann Zero Delay Arcade USB Encoder + Rpi3b+ Works on Attract Mode wheel but not in MAME. I was able to program the buttons / joystick to work launch games from the Attract Mode. Basically Attract Mode recognizes it as a controller etc. When I launch MAME, hit the TAB followed by ENTER on the set up of respective mapping the buttons nor the joystick are being recognized. I can't set any controls within the TAB / MAME mapping. THE USB Encoder clearly works the fact that Attract Mode outside of MAME recognizes the inputs. Any help with this ?  :dunno
2,370,650 Gun.Smoke

JDFan

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 21, 2023, 04:07:42 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
IS joystick input enabled in the mame controller options ?

mrclean

• Offline Offline
    • Guscade

I'm not sure how to check that, but buttons also don't work either with mapping in MAME / using the TAB etc. 
2,370,650 Gun.Smoke

JDFan

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 21, 2023, 04:07:42 pm

I'm not sure how to check that, but buttons also don't work either with mapping in MAME / using the TAB etc.

Makes sense -- the buttons would be seen as joystick buttons 1 - x - so if it is not set to allow joystick input then the buttons attached to the joystick also would be ignored. Haven't used regular MAME for awhile but in MameUI you go to Default Game OPtions - Controllers and on that page there are checkboxes that you place a checkmark in the  Enable Joystick Input box as shown in the attached

EDIT : Found an article here that describes what to do in regular MAME to enable it : https://www.moddb.com/groups/mame-arcade/tutorials/how-to-assign-keys-in-mame
« Last Edit: July 29, 2018, 11:35:02 am by JDFan »

mrclean

• Offline Offline
    • Guscade
OK so I think I know possibly what the issue is it's the fact that I'm using :"lr mame2003" or "mame-libretro".With a modified lite MAME set .78u. It states that RetroArch controls the settings of the button mapping. I DON'T want to use RETROARCH at all for mapping my buttons, I want MAME to do this when I hit the TAB button on my keyboard within MAME. If I hit the TAB button in MAME it will allow me to remap the buttons / joystick using my keyboard that it recognizes, but not these USB encoders. Again to reiterate from my first post what's annoying is that these USB encoders work fine outside of MAME, Emulation Station recognizes them, I can also MAP the buttons / joystick properly when using "Attract Mode".

Any way to modify the retroarch.cfg to allow MAME to be able to control my inputs ? It says it's here:
Config Dir: /opt/retropie/configs/mame-libretro/retroarch.cfg

Or how do I switch to a different version of MAME within the RetroPi menu one that flat out doesn't require retroarch. I was trying to save money with using these especially for 4-Player cabinet builds it's half the cost of an IPAC4, But If I can only get an IPAC4 to work with this so be it & I'll order one of those I just don't want to run into the same issue.

Has anyone been successful in MAPPING these USB encoders in MAME for 4-Player with lr mame2003 & Rpi3b+ ? Again the encoders work just fine when not in MAME.

I know this sounds stupid but how do I switch in retropi / attract mode the version of MAME emulator I want it to utilize. I also read that other versions of MAME simply don't use retroarch & I think that's the problem. I would need to update / load a completely different rom list which I'd like to avoid doing so being that I've fine tuned this list to how I want it etc.

Also as a side note I don't think I've seen an ESC button I can MAP within the MAME TAB when using the lr mame2003 as the MAME emulator.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2018, 10:54:27 pm by mrclean »
2,370,650 Gun.Smoke

lomoverde

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 17, 2023, 09:16:34 pm
what image are u using? as in stock retropie or motion blue maybe?
the git hub goes into over riding retroarch configs
« Last Edit: July 30, 2018, 09:03:35 pm by lomoverde »

mrclean

• Offline Offline
    • Guscade
what image are u using? as in stock retropie or motion blue maybe?
the git hub goes into over riding retroarch configs

I'm not using anyone's image / rpi backup if that's what you mean. Do you have a link you can provide which discusses this known issue fix or as you mention over riding retroarch, no I'm not using motion blue as a layout. I just want my USB encoders to be recognized by MAME when hitting TAB & it does NOTHING.
2,370,650 Gun.Smoke

mrclean

• Offline Offline
    • Guscade
mame 2003 liberetro doesn't allow for me to recognize the USB CONTROLS within the MAME "TAB" being that RetroArch supersedes it ? . If I switch the emulator to say advancemame, the TAB works in MAME & recognizes the USB controller but I'm using a MAME .78 set. Thus why I have everything set up for use with Libretro MAME 2003. Ideally I'd like to keep my roms as a .78 set. I also noticed when using Advance MAME the roms / games when launched and when playing them look ultra grainy in comparison to mame 2003.

Any way to use libretro 2003 With my MAME SET .78 & TURN OFF RETROARCH so the MAME Tab will recognize inputs ? !?

Within my /opt/retropie/configs/mame-libretro/retroarch.cfg file i see:

# Settings made here will only override settings in the global retroarch.cfg if placed above the #include line

input_remapping_directory = "/opt/retropie/configs/mame-libretro/"

#include "/opt/retropie/configs/all/retroarch.cfg"

Any way to fix this ?!

« Last Edit: July 31, 2018, 11:35:06 am by mrclean »
2,370,650 Gun.Smoke

johnm

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 04, 2024, 03:05:24 pm

Have you tried your hotkey and fire at the same time, usually its select/coin and one of your buttons for various commands

mrclean

• Offline Offline
    • Guscade

Have you tried your hotkey and fire at the same time, usually its select/coin and one of your buttons for various commands

I'm not sure what a hotkey has to do with this. I can hook up a PS4 Controller (If I hit the PS4 logo button + the start button it will exit out of mame as a hotkey etc..) I can program / assign / map my Keyboard using the TAB key in MAME recognizes those as inputs. With retroarch being in place it takes over the controls in MAME & just won't see the zero usb encoders when trying to map them in MAME using the TAB / enter input key. Again the various components don't like each other that I'm trying to have work are:

Raspberry Pi 3b+
MAME 2003 Libretro
MAME Set .78
Retro Arch
Zero Delay USB encoders

If I replace MAME 2003 libretro with say Advance Mame 1.4 etc I don't have the issues of being able to map the buttons within the TAB feature of MAME (Advance mame), therefor I know the zero delay USB encoders work just fine. but I know .78 in conjunction with libretro 2003 has the best collective compatibility with games running on the rpi3b+ . When I switch the emulators that MAME uses from libretro 2003 to advance mame, within MAME if I hit the TAB key it works as it should & I can map the buttons. I think my main issues are with the fact that MAME Emulator libretro 2003 is using RETROARCH, that's where I'm having difficulties. I would imagine you can within a .cfg file turn off RETROARCH all together ? My next step is to just order an IPAC4 where I think it would work being it's proabably going to be recognized as a keyboard encoder instead, but I really don't want to run into the same issues that and purchasing 4x zero delay encoders are half the price and in theory for my purposes if I can get the zero USB encoders working would be a much more suitable / economical.   

This is exactly my issue right from GitHub's site but I don't understand how to fix it:

To access the MAME internal menu, press the 'TAB' key or R2.

Whilst lr-mame2003 is a libretro emulator and benefits from automatic controller configuration, sometimes you may still want to rebind how it internally deals with inputs. For example, the default control setup might make sense in one game, but in another they don't. In which case, you can use the 'Input (this game)' option to rebind keys for a single game, generating a .cfg file in:

/home/pi/RetroPie/roms/mame-libretro/mame2003/cfg/

or, if you're using the arcade folder:

/home/pi/RetroPie/roms/arcade/mame2003/cfg/

If you rebind global inputs ('Input (general)'), it will update a file in the same directory called default.cfg.

These files are not human-readable, but can be safely deleted if you get into a mess and wish to return to the default configuration.

Also states this on the GitHub site:
Controls

lr-mame2003 utilities RetroArch control configurations. Add custom retroarch controls to the retroarch.cfg file in:

/opt/retropie/configs/mame-libretro/retroarch.cfg

Being that I'm setting up a 4-Player Cabinet using 4x zero delay usb encoders it would really be ideal If i can just get into the MAME hit the TAB as usually and just hit ENTER on each corresponding inputs... Sadly that doesn't seem to do anything when using these usb encoders.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2018, 10:07:41 pm by mrclean »
2,370,650 Gun.Smoke

johnm

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 04, 2024, 03:05:24 pm
 advance mame is not a liberto core , mame 2003, 2010, fbalpha etc are. To get into the settings for keys etc you press hotkey and one of the fire buttons

mrclean

• Offline Offline
    • Guscade
advance mame is not a liberto core , mame 2003, 2010, fbalpha etc are. To get into the settings for keys etc you press hotkey and one of the fire buttons

I'm aware that Advance MAME is not a libretro core etc... I was just stating that within that version of MAME / Emulator the TAB key and it being able to recognize the zero delay encoders work (when using advance mame), where as utilizing retroarch doesn't seem to recognize the zero delay usb encoders within the MAME / TAB key (using mame 2003 libretro). Retroarch still allows me to hit TAB within MAME & keyboard inputs work but won't recognize any input / mapping from the zero delay USB encoders it's extremely annoying. I feel that possibly a .cfg override or edit within one of the config files would fix this. 

Outside of Attract Mode back into Emulation Station I can go to RetroArch program and use my keyboard / ps4 controller. "x" selects on the keyboard when navigating retroarch, "z" takes me back a screen & yes I do have save on exit enabled / on within Retroarch. I think I'm having a hard time comprehending using retroarch to program the buttons/ joysticks when I'm accustomed to just hitting TAB in MAME.

I think I'm just having trouble with retroarch + zero usb controller setting the mapping inputs. Any one help with this ?
2,370,650 Gun.Smoke