Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns --- Bug Reports --- Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Aimtrak light gun and Ubuntu  (Read 1116 times)

DOX1842

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 19, 2018, 12:43:42 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Aimtrak light gun and Ubuntu
« on: April 05, 2018, 07:45:05 pm »
Hey everyone! So I have a retropie x86 setup running ubuntu and I was hoping to get my aimtrak working with it. When I connect the gun it works like a mouse except the cursur is super sensitive. I loaded up the 3rd party calibration program and it doesnt even detect my gun! I tried it on my windows laptop just to make sure it wasnt a hardware issue and it works ok. I played some time crisis for a while and to be honest, the accuracy was kind of off but it  did alright. I was wondering if anyone has any tips with getting this to work with linux as I do not use my windows pc to run emulators.

MacGyver

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 27, 2019, 01:17:37 am
Re: Aimtrak light gun and Ubuntu
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2018, 07:58:19 am »
Might try adjusting the acceleration (sensitivity and digital speed) for the analog control in MAME, however, if it works like all the other Linux SDL versions, adjusting "Mouse1 X&Y" for the gun might screw up any spinners and trackballs that are also "Mouse1 X&Y".

SDL has been promising for nearly a decade that they would be adding multiple mouse support to "the next release" so don't hold your breathe at them fixing it if adjusting one screws up the others.

[edit]
That's not really very fair of me, SDL is free software worked on by volunteers, it's just frustrating to those of us that have been waiting a long time to free our cabinets from Windows.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2018, 03:29:09 pm by MacGyver »

kiall

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 08, 2019, 11:47:56 am
Re: Aimtrak light gun and Ubuntu
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2019, 08:52:19 am »
Reviving an old thread, but .. I got these working flawlessly.

Details here: https://github.com/mamedev/mame/pull/4698

The PR was merged AFTER 0.206 was released, so will be part of MAME from 0.207 on.

TLDR: Multiple guns working, perfect accuracy (within what the guns themselves allow for), etc.