Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Pi longevity?  (Read 2697 times)

ivwshane

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 24, 2022, 09:35:21 pm
    • My first mame cab! (WIP)
Pi longevity?
« on: March 14, 2018, 11:09:47 pm »
I've got a raspberry pi2 in a bartop that gets daily use. I'm using the gpio for the two player six button setup and one gpio header has gone dead. Now it appears more have gone bad (I haven't had a chance to confirm it yet). Before buying another pi I would like to see what everyone's experience is in terms of longevity and I'm especially interested in those that are using the gpio pins.

So... How long has your pi been in use?
What pi are you using?
Are you using the gpio for your controls?
How much use does it get?

JDFan

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 21, 2023, 04:07:42 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Re: Pi longevity?
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2018, 11:44:35 pm »
Could always just get a USB encoder for the buttons instead of using the GPIO - figure the Zero delay encoders are less than $10 and might get you a few more years of use out of the pi2.  :dunno

ivwshane

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2018, 12:05:21 am »
I was looking at the xen mo but is there a particular zero delay encoder you recommend. The xen mo's are $20 for a 2 player setup.

UEDan

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 10, 2019, 05:54:08 am
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2018, 01:28:26 am »
Pi2s are cheap. I think Microcenter frequently sold Pi2s for about $20. Buy a few and swap the SDCARD and pins. Done.

Back to your original question, I have Pi2 Model B I think. The last ARM CPU model. It's been my 24/7 torrent server with no air circulation for almost... 2 years? No GPIO pins.

nitrogen_widget

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 07:02:12 am
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2018, 04:58:26 pm »
The pi2 outside under my hot tub controlling the filter, light, and temperature inside a Tupperware container has been going strong for almost 2yrs and i'm switching 110v Solid state opto-isolated relays with the GPIO,

Sometimes electronics crap out.

ivwshane

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2018, 08:47:54 pm »
Well I got the xin mo and its working fine so hopefully this type of setup lasts longer. The other big advantage is that I can upgrade the pi more easily since the xin mo plugs in via USB which also means that if I ever want to I could go with a full blown PC and switching it over would be a matter of plugging in a USB cable.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2018, 01:54:19 am by ivwshane »