Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Visual Comparison of Atari Blue Gel and Bronze Tinted Plexi replacement options  (Read 6346 times)

8BitMonk

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 19, 2023, 05:27:00 pm
Posted this over on klov, thought it might be of interest to restorers here as well...

In the middle of a couple of restorations (Asteroids Deluxe upright and cabaret as well as a Missile Command cabaret) and thought a visual comparison of some of the replacement options I tried for blue gel and bronze tinted plexi might be helpful to others.

Blue Gel Replacements
Adorama.com
Rosco Roscolux Sea Blue, 20x24" Color Effects Lighting Filter
Lee Filters Light Blue 24x21" Gel Filter Sheet
Another I ordered to try but was backordered.
Lee Filters Lagoon Blue 24x21" Gel Filter Sheet

One observation about the blue gels from Adorama is that they are paper thin which makes them tricky to handle and prone to a small crinkle here or there if you're not careful. Any small creases didn't seem to affect the image quality though and both colors seem to be a suitable match.

Bronze Tint Plexiglass
OneDayGlass.com
estreetplastics.com

Apparently Atari used different tints for plexi, probably one for vector monitors and one for rasters? The Asteroids Deluxe Cabaret version is darker than the Missile Command cabaret version.

Atari originals are the large pieces, darker is from the AD cabaret and lighter is from Missile Command cabaret.

The 4 same sized squares are from OneDayGlass and the smaller square is Bronze Plexi from estreetplastics.com.

The estreetplastics bronze is a nearly perfect match for the darker Atari original but the dark gray is a close alternative and would probably hold up better.  The bronze glass seems to be a close replacement for the lighter original bronze plexi for the Missile Command cabaret.

Close up

« Last Edit: August 07, 2017, 05:44:19 pm by 8BitMonk »
Games: Asteroids Deluxe | Atomiswave | Centipede | Championship Sprint | Defender | Donkey Kong | Dig Dug | Frogger | Ikari Warriors | Missile Command | Pac-Man | Pole Position | Robotron | Spy Hunter | Tempest | Super Mario Strikers

wp34

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 10, 2022, 09:48:19 pm
Thanks for posting this.  Which gel did you go with for your AD?

I used one from Wizzes.
http://www.wizzesworkshop.com/cart/product.asp?intProdID=23

I'm not sure if theses are still for sale or not. 

As you say they are very thin.  I had trouble keeping any creases or "bubbles" out of mine.

8BitMonk

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 19, 2023, 05:27:00 pm
Thanks for posting this.  Which gel did you go with for your AD?

I think I'll go with the Light Blue which is (despite the name) bluer than the Sea Blue. That's why I ordered samples and posted pictures, it's nearly impossible to tell from the naming or online color samples how it compares. I'll post a picture of Lagoon Blue if/when I get it, it's been on backordered for awhile now.

I used one from Wizzes.
http://www.wizzesworkshop.com/cart/product.asp?intProdID=23

I'm not sure if theses are still for sale or not. 

As you say they are very thin.  I had trouble keeping any creases or "bubbles" out of mine.

I ordered from him and then cancelled when I found Adorama's were half the price. It's my guess he's buying gels from a similar camera source and just cutting them to size, slapping some double-sided tape on them and reselling them. I emailed him and asked about whether his were a better match, thickness or quality and here was his response:

It’s all the same theory, the monitor white shows thru the color of the gel. It’s all about matching the color and the cost really. On a BZ you have to buy two sheets, a red and a green. I’m precut to the original size and include the two sticky pads the original one had. For AD, I think mine might be a little thicker, but if you find a color you like that’s cheaper, it’s up to you.

Based on your experience it's sounds like his are thin as well, I wouldn't be surprised if he gets them from Adorama. Still tempted to order from him just for comparative purposes but it seems like a total waste of $22 just to satisfy my curiosity.  :D

Games: Asteroids Deluxe | Atomiswave | Centipede | Championship Sprint | Defender | Donkey Kong | Dig Dug | Frogger | Ikari Warriors | Missile Command | Pac-Man | Pole Position | Robotron | Spy Hunter | Tempest | Super Mario Strikers