Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Star Wars Themed Upright Cabinet  (Read 44343 times)

krangbrain

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 22, 2020, 05:36:57 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Star Wars Themed Upright Cabinet
« on: November 11, 2016, 01:19:21 am »
Hi all,

So after a few years of lurking these forums I’ve finally started to build my cabinet (familiar story, I know). A good handful of builds on this site have served as inspiration for mine so thanks to everyone here who have paved the way! I don’t have very many requirements for my cabinet, but I want a classic 6-button layout to play most games, a trackball, and most importantly, I want this thing to look authentic, like it could have come straight from the 80s.

I'm using laminate for the front, back, and inside of the side panels.

The sides are almost identical to the Space Duel/Gravitar cabinets. They definitely have my favorite profile of any arcade:

Laminating only the reveal made it so I could use one sheet for both sides. It saved me about $50 lol.

Here she is standing up with a few panels attached. I'm positive I documented the laminating process, but I can't find the pics.  :dunno

Here's the back. The feet and cabinet handles are from Twisted Quarter. I also put casters on there to move it around. Every full-size upright should have these things! I can't tell you how many times I've moved it around while working on it lol. The fan grills are just from of Amazon. I put some black t-molding on the inside of the fan cutouts. I think it gave it a nice finished look.

I also put black t-molding inside the speaker cutouts. I really didn't want it to look like an arcade cabinet with transplanted car speakers, so I just kind of copied the Space Duel grills. I had them custom cut from an eBay seller. I just primed and painted them, then used screw caps to finish it off. I think it came out pretty good. I thought of using rivets, but I wanted to be able to take the grill off just in case I needed to in the future. No offense to anyone using car speaker grills, of course. They look great on certain cabs, but they would look out of place on a restored Asteroids or Pac-man, so I didn't want it on this build.

So that's all I got for now. I'll add some updated pictures tomorrow after I install the TV and glass.  :)
« Last Edit: October 01, 2017, 11:03:36 pm by krangbrain »

ivwshane

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 24, 2022, 09:35:21 pm
    • My first mame cab! (WIP)
Re: Star Wars Themed Upright Cabinet
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2016, 03:53:41 am »
Looking good!

Where did you get the laminate and what type did you get? Vertical grade, countertop grade? How thick is it?

krangbrain

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2016, 10:46:57 am »
Looking good!

Where did you get the laminate and what type did you get? Vertical grade, countertop grade? How thick is it?

It's Wilsonart laminate from Home Depot. I'm pretty sure it's countertop grade since that's what it says in the description in this link:
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Wilsonart-48-in-x-96-in-Laminate-Sheet-in-Black-Matte-1595603504896/203592675

I originally found two full sheets of black Nevamar laminate on Craigslist for just $20. Right when I got home I dropped and shattered both of them. Needless to say I treated the new ones like fine china plates.

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 17, 2024, 12:41:11 am
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2016, 03:56:16 pm »
The grilles look good.  Modern car speaker grilles looks like ass. Good job.
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

krangbrain

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2016, 09:09:09 pm »
A little progress update. I built the control panel out of wood by attaching a few 2" boards onto a 12" piece. I primed, sanded, and sprayed it with Rustoleum black satin for the CPO to stick to. Came out nice and smooth. I used a piano hinge that I bought on eBay to attach it to the cabinet. I just used the same primer and spray paint for the hinge.

I was able to get the glass installed, too. The support that it rests on was ripped at about 45 degrees then I routed out just a bit over a 1/4 inch on the top so the glass won't go anywhere. I cut the bottom at an angle so that it could be installed sort of like a French cleat.

Worked out perfectly:

Here's a pic from the inside:

I didn't want the back door panel to just sit on top of the panel below it, so I added a few thumb tacks to add a little space that was equal to the one above it.

Here's how the cab stands at this point:

« Last Edit: October 01, 2017, 11:18:54 pm by krangbrain »

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2016, 11:10:54 pm »
Nice job so far.  Clean,  traditional lines are the best.

krangbrain

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2016, 01:37:36 am »
Nice job so far.  Clean,  traditional lines are the best.

Thanks! I agree, a classic look is best  :)

rablack97

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 11, 2022, 06:50:10 pm
  • If you don't try, you have no chance at innovation
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2016, 01:38:10 pm »
did you bust up that bottom corner?

Very good craftsmanship here, great job!!! :applaud: :applaud:

krangbrain

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2016, 07:08:53 pm »
did you bust up that bottom corner?

Ugh, that's where the dumb bar code sticker was. It left some nasty residue after I peeled it off, so I foolishly tried to scrape and sand it clean. Unless anyone else has a better idea, I'm going to use some Goo Gone to get the rest of it off, then level it with wood putty and sand it smooth. I should have just done that in the first place.

Very good craftsmanship here, great job!!! :applaud: :applaud:

Thanks!

sealcouch

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2023, 09:28:56 pm
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2016, 07:40:57 pm »
Super clean build. Wish I had this craftsmanship. Can't wait to see it finished.

n3wt0n

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 27, 2024, 05:03:38 pm
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2016, 10:31:36 am »
Really nice job so far - I am enjoying your attention to detail like the t-moulding on the inside edge of the fan and speaker grills. The lines are nice.

krangbrain

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2016, 08:23:17 pm »
Here's the 42" tv that's going in the cabinet. Taking off the back and getting the speakers out (they're still on in the picture) was a lot easier than I thought. It's going to be mounted vertically so I could get the equivalent of a 24" display for both horizontal and vertical games. I've been playing with shaders in Retroarch and am pretty happy so far.

Speaking of Retroarch, I have a quick question (probably with a not-so-quick answer). Adjusting the “custom viewport” in Retroarch’s video settings allows me to display the game pretty much anywhere I want on a TV, but this, of course, only affects the game being displayed and not the frontend (Hyperspin for now). Is there a way to have the frontend’s display adjusted as well? Should I post this question in the Monitor/Video forum? Thanks in advance!

« Last Edit: October 01, 2017, 11:30:17 pm by krangbrain »

Laythe

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 10, 2024, 07:19:50 pm
  • "-smurfing- delivers." - Yots
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,149109.0.html
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2016, 09:43:31 pm »
Here's the 42" tv that's going in the cabinet. Taking off the back and getting the speakers out (they're still on in the picture) was a lot easier than I thought. It's going to be mounted vertically so I could get the equivalent of a 24" display for both horizontal and vertical games.

:cheers:  Welcome to the masked-off portrait club.  (grin)  Hey Token - think we need a secret handshake or something?

Nice looking cab!   :applaud:

For your frontend - you could probably do a custom theme on a skinnable frontend that puts it wherever you like.  Or, you may be able to get your video driver to take a custom resolution for the windows desktop.  nVidia drivers give you a limited amount of placement offset.  Some people have had luck using Powerstrip.  I designed my cabinet around the centerpoint of the monitor being the centerpoint of the visible screen and buried both ends of it, so I didn't need an offset.

krangbrain

• Offline Offline
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2016, 01:05:53 am »
:cheers:  Welcome to the masked-off portrait club.  (grin)  Hey Token - think we need a secret handshake or something?

Lol! That's good company... Your and Token's builds are very nice! But if we're going to have a secret handshake we gotta shoot for something unique that no one can mimic. Ok, I promise to never do that again  :embarassed:

For your frontend - you could probably do a custom theme on a skinnable frontend that puts it wherever you like.  Or, you may be able to get your video driver to take a custom resolution for the windows desktop.  nVidia drivers give you a limited amount of placement offset.  Some people have had luck using Powerstrip.  I designed my cabinet around the centerpoint of the monitor being the centerpoint of the visible screen and buried both ends of it, so I didn't need an offset.

Thanks for the suggestions! I have a custom 1080x1080 resolution that I've got going no problem, and my monitor is just about centered with the cab's display area; it's about a 1/4" low, I think, which I was planning to fix with the offset option like you mentioned. But I was considering leaning the TV back a little more than I had originally designed which would push the display a bit lower. This is why I was thinking Retroarch to move the display. I've tried Powerstrip, but I couldn't get any more offset than with my graphics card.

Laythe

• Offline Offline
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2016, 03:44:40 am »
But if we're going to have a secret handshake we gotta shoot for something unique that no one can mimic. Ok, I promise to never do that again  :embarassed:

:lol

I have a custom 1080x1080 resolution that I've got going no problem, and my monitor is just about centered with the cab's display area; it's about a 1/4" low, I think, which I was planning to fix with the offset option like you mentioned. But I was considering leaning the TV back a little more than I had originally designed which would push the display a bit lower. This is why I was thinking Retroarch to move the display. I've tried Powerstrip, but I couldn't get any more offset than with my graphics card.

Ah, gotcha.  You're already up to speed on everything I can think of to suggest, software-wise, then.

Seriously nice build.  Looking forward to watching the rest of your project unfold.

krangbrain

• Offline Offline
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2016, 01:44:21 pm »
Hi guys, so I've spent some time designing a CPO and have come up with the following 2. The first one has more of a "Star Wars" feel to it, which is the one I'm leaning toward. The second one is inspired by the asteroids deluxe CPO. I think I'll use white buttons, but am not totally sure yet. The horizontal "lights" at the bottom will wrap around the front of the control panel. What do you think? Any and all feedback is welcome!  :)

« Last Edit: October 01, 2017, 11:31:16 pm by krangbrain »

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2016, 06:45:10 pm »
I like 'em both. God job!

rablack97

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 11, 2022, 06:50:10 pm
  • If you don't try, you have no chance at innovation
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2016, 07:44:45 pm »
Hi guys, so I've spent some time designing a CPO and have come up with the following 2. The first one has more of a "Star Wars" feel to it, which is the one I'm leaning toward. The second one is inspired by the asteroids deluxe CPO. I think I'll use white buttons, but am not totally sure yet. The horizontal "lights" at the bottom will wrap around the front of the control panel. What do you think? Any and all feedback is welcome!  :)

your side art and marquee will dictate which one to go with, mock those up as well and see how it all flows together.

harveybirdman

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 19, 2024, 12:40:25 pm
  • SHMUP'EM
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2016, 09:17:21 pm »
Haven't been around for a while or I thought this was another thread..... but Dayyyuuuum son!!!!  This is looking very nice!

:cheers:

krangbrain

• Offline Offline
« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2016, 09:02:43 pm »
your side art and marquee will dictate which one to go with, mock those up as well and see how it all flows together.

That's good advise, thanks. I'm no artist so the side art and marquee are going to take me a while, but I'm hoping that I can create something that has the same feel as some of my favorites like Xevious, Space Duel, and Asteroids Deluxe to name a few. We'll see how resourceful and creative I can be lol.

Haven't been around for a while or I thought this was another thread..... but Dayyyuuuum son!!!!  This is looking very nice!

:cheers:
Thanks! Your marquee that Opt2Not made is seriously amazing! I hope I can come up with something even close to that good!

efp9teen78

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 20, 2023, 08:53:29 pm
« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2016, 01:23:59 pm »
watching this thread with admiration. cant wait to see what you come up with for the side panels

krangbrain

• Offline Offline
« Reply #21 on: December 27, 2016, 01:57:41 pm »
Finally an update! So I made a few changes to the first CPO that I posted above and went ahead and had it printed by Brad (Lucian045). Here’s what I got in the mail:

I can’t say how easy it was to order from Brad. He responded to my emails very quickly and we were able to chat over the phone about a few details. He was patient and informative throughout the process. Most importantly, though, I’m very impressed with the quality of the product. Very nice! To anyone looking to order artwork I’d highly recommend him.

This was my first time applying artwork, so it took me a few days to muster up the courage to actually do it, lol. Laying it on smooth wasn’t the problem; making sure it lined up with the edges was what I was sweating over. In the end it turned out good. I know that most here on the forums drill the holes for their controls before adhering the CPO, but I really wanted the position of the buttons to be aligned perfectly with the art. On my practice panel and other scrap pieces, I just couldn’t get my holes to line up the way I wanted them to. Even being very careful, some of them ended up being like 1/32” off. Not sure if the method I used is documented here in the forums so here’s a few pics to help explain what I did.

I first drilled a 1 1/8” hold in a scrap piece to use as a template. I did this using a (extremely cheap and old) drill press and 1 1/8” hold saw. This way the hole cut was perpendicular to the board.

Then, after adhering the CPO, I drilled a 7/8” hole with a spade bit to “rough cut” the opening of one of the holes for the buttons. It doesn’t tear the CPO, but it’s definitely not a very clean cut.

Then, I placed the template over the rough cut opening making sure it was perfectly aligned and centered with the circle on the art and clamped it. Sometimes the clamps would move the template a bit, so it occasionally took a few tries to get it just right. Also, I was extremely careful to wipe both the CP and template clean before placing it. Last thing I wanted was a scratched surface.

I then used the router with a flush trim bit to finish cutting the hole in the CP. The end result is a very nice and clean cut. I repeated these steps for each hole. I didn’t cut more than one rough opening at a time because I wanted to make sure nothing was scratched. Here’s a picture of all the button holes done.

I have to say I’m very satisfied with the end result. You’d think a CNC machine cut them. No difference in distance between any of the buttons, and they’re aligned PERFECTLY with the artwork!

Next up, cutting the opening for the trackball and routing the underside for joysticks.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2017, 11:33:13 pm by krangbrain »

Laythe

• Offline Offline
« Reply #22 on: December 27, 2016, 09:52:25 pm »
That is beautiful.  Good technique!

matsadona

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 28, 2023, 06:00:12 am
« Reply #23 on: December 28, 2016, 03:56:17 am »
You have to get that trackball painted as the Death star by someone with an airbrush :)
Building, collecting and playing arcade machines :)

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 04:21:02 pm
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #24 on: December 28, 2016, 10:23:03 am »
+1 to that.

krangbrain

• Offline Offline
« Reply #25 on: December 28, 2016, 01:31:22 pm »
You have to get that trackball painted as the Death star by someone with an airbrush :)

LOL! I never even thought of that before. That would be slick. Although I don't think my wife's New Year's resolved budget is down with it.  :'(

SpaceHedgehog

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 06, 2023, 12:10:24 pm
  • Almost done ...
« Reply #26 on: December 28, 2016, 04:34:23 pm »
This is looking like a verrrry nice build. Great job so far  :cheers:
Click a pic for a video tour 

SpaceHedgehog

• Offline Offline
  • Almost done ...
« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2017, 07:36:45 am »
Waiting patiently for updates on this build  :cheers:

Vincefaro

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 09, 2023, 04:52:36 pm
« Reply #28 on: February 04, 2017, 11:33:31 am »
This is just great work , the panel and cabinet look great . Great theme too .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

krangbrain

• Offline Offline
« Reply #29 on: February 05, 2017, 07:16:01 pm »
Waiting patiently for updates on this build  :cheers:

Thanks for the nudge, lol! I've totally been slacking on updating my thread. You know how it is -- life gets in the way.

Anyway, before I dive into updates, a little background on my trackball situation. So early/mid last year I bought a black Happ high lip trackball for the project. I didn't know much about the Happ trackball mounts at the time, so along with the trackball I ordered a standard trackball mount. The listing on eBay said that it works with both the standard and high lip track balls, which, in fairness I suppose is true. But the opening on the trackball mount isn’t big enough for the lip to fit through; it pushes up against the bottom of the mount. A few threads here in the forums go over this; not sure if I read those before or after ordering. Oh well. Anyway, I didn’t want this because it didn’t look as clean to me, so back in December when all this was happening I went looking to order a mount for the high lip. Found out that NOBODY had them in stock (I tried a handful of different vendors), and Happ had (still has?) them on backorder til February or so of this year. So then I thought of this grand idea to just use a hole saw to widen the opening of the standard mount I had from 3” to 3 ¼”. Here’s a picture of how that went:

The dumb guide bit had a mind of its own and traveled all over the place in the wood. I should have clamped the mount down to something metal, I guess. I was angry. My wife could tell haha. I thought about waiting for the high lip mount, but instead I went ahead and ordered a U-trak.  I kinda wanted a white ball instead of the black one I ordered with the Happ, and after looking at ChanceKJ’s flush mount technique on his Flynn’s Arcade with the U-track, I thought that would look good on my panel.

After impatiently waiting for an unexpected 2 week delivery time I had the U-Trak in my hands. (For the record, I didn’t order from Andy’s Ultimarc website. If I had, I would expect the 2 weeks since I’m in the US. In fact, I think my i-pac ultimate came faster than 2 weeks, which I DID order from Andy’s site I think early 2016.)

Being excited with the new toy, I busted out my router and flush trim bit and got the hole for the trackball just right. I also routed out about 1/8” on the underside so that the lip of the trackball would sit flush with the surface of the CPO.

While I was at it, I drilled, routed, and chiseled the placements for the joystick mounts. I used these joystick mounting plates from Paradise Arcade Shop. They gave me just enough room to work with my wood inserts. Actually, for safe measure I used my Dremel and cut off the ends of the inserts:

I didn’t want any chance of ruining my panel, so I used a scrap piece of wood to create a drill bit stop to make sure the depth was right for each insert.

Here’s what I had after the woodworking:

I like the S style mounting plates cause they allowed me to get the proper joystick shaft height as recommended/mentioned at Slagcoin while bottom-mounting them. It also provides options down the road should I have to change anything. And, blind mounting the joysticks just looks better imho.  :)

Ok back to the U-Trak. So, I had originally accommodated for the depth of the Happ trackball. Space is limited under my control panel, so I made sure I had measurements just right. BUT, now I had a U-trak, and as luck would have it, it didn’t fit!! The control panel wouldn’t close all the way. The bottom of the trackball housing was hitting the panel below the control panel. I don’t think the U-trak is larger than the Happ, but the Happ mounting plate allowed for about 5/8” more space. So, I took apart the u-trak to see what I was working with:

After inspecting the housing, I figured I could cut off a bit of it where it was hitting the bottom panel. I mounted it to a board and cut it on the table saw.

Mounted it to test fit again. Still wouldn’t close. I needed a tiny bit more room. So I took my router and cut out some of the bottom panel it was hitting against. I also drilled out a little extra for the mounting bolt using a forster bit.

That did the trick, without a mm to spare lol.

Once that was taken care of it was on to installing all the buttons and wiring it up. Took forever! I used the Dupont style housings and terminals. Real estate is limited with this CP, so I was forced to mount the ipac ultimate above (well, technically speaking, below) player 2’s joystick. I really didn’t want the hassle of mounting it somewhere else. It worked fine in the end. Here she is before being mounted to the cabinet.

I’ve got more, but I want to post what I’ve jotted down so far. I feel like I just wrote an essay  :dizzy: lol. I think I'll have a bit of free time later tonight. Thanks for checking it out!
« Last Edit: October 01, 2017, 11:46:15 pm by krangbrain »

opt2not

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 15, 2024, 07:31:21 pm
« Reply #30 on: February 05, 2017, 08:05:18 pm »
That's really too bad about the trackball. It's going to be a pain if you have to replace it in the future.

But anyway, I like the project so far. Great design choice of the old Atari style cabs, it's my favourite design for both ergonomics and aesthetics.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2017, 02:49:13 am by opt2not »

krangbrain

• Offline Offline
« Reply #31 on: February 06, 2017, 12:21:34 am »
That's really too bad about the trackball. It's going to be a pain if you have to replace it in the future.

Yeah it was a bummer. I was pretty upset about it, but I just had to let it go. If I ever need to replace the U-Trak I'm sure I can just use the same bottom part of the housing.

I wanted to take a few more pics of other progress I've made, but it's been pretty dark and cloudy lately, and my garage has terrible lighting. I'll see if I can get another update soon.

SpaceHedgehog

• Offline Offline
  • Almost done ...
« Reply #32 on: February 07, 2017, 05:26:25 pm »
Nice. Looking forward to the control panel full frontal reveal  ;)

krangbrain

• Offline Offline
« Reply #33 on: February 08, 2017, 02:48:12 am »

:D

« Last Edit: October 01, 2017, 11:49:08 pm by krangbrain »

opt2not

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 15, 2024, 07:31:21 pm
« Reply #34 on: February 08, 2017, 03:18:14 am »
EXCELLENT design choices here. That panel looks pretty legit as a SW panel. Great job!!  :applaud:

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 04:21:02 pm
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #35 on: February 08, 2017, 07:14:44 am »
That CP is sexy.

Vidiot

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 15, 2024, 10:00:17 am
  • John 3:16
« Reply #36 on: February 08, 2017, 08:00:22 am »
I am really loving this. Great job!  :applaud:

SpaceHedgehog

• Offline Offline
  • Almost done ...
« Reply #37 on: February 08, 2017, 11:44:45 am »
Really nice execution on the control panel. I strongly suspect this build will be up there with the best of them  :applaud:

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #38 on: February 08, 2017, 01:07:05 pm »

:D

See, THAT'S a control panel. No characters, no battle scenes, just a simple design that looks like a real panel from the SW Universe. I wish more people designing their panels would think about practical design the same way. You hit a home run that Babe Ruth would be proud of!
« Last Edit: February 08, 2017, 04:54:32 pm by yotsuya »

Laythe

• Offline Offline
« Reply #39 on: February 08, 2017, 04:33:39 pm »
That is *beautiful*.