Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Star Wars Themed Upright Cabinet  (Read 44342 times)

krangbrain

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 22, 2020, 05:36:57 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Re: Star Wars Themed Upright Cabinet
« Reply #40 on: February 08, 2017, 08:03:14 pm »
Thanks a lot for the compliments, guys! I’m happy with the way it’s turning out so far in spite of a few hiccups.

As you probably noticed in my last post I was able to get the coin door installed. It’s an original Coin Controls over/under that I found on eBay in really good shape. All I had to do was give it a nice scrub and install new bezels and reject buttons I bought from Twisted Quarter. I whipped up the reject button inserts by modifying one that I found over at the KLOV forums in this thread.

It’s a little difficult to make out in the picture, but I put felt over the batons that the monitor glass lays against to keep it from getting scratched. I originally used the “loop” side of adhesive backed Velcro, but it was a little too thick and made the glass push too hard against the speaker panel. After taking that off with Goo Gone, mineral spirits, and 30 minutes of immense frustration  :cry:, I cut strips of felt the width of the batons and adhered them with some spray adhesive. The glass lightly butts up against the speaker panel which is what I was going for.

I also installed the control panel clamps.

Oh, and how could I forget the arduous process of painting the sides lol. It took about 5 coats of primer to get the sides smooth. There were a handful of grooves that had to be smoothed out. That’s what I get for using cheap ply from Home Depot. Next time I’ll fork over the extra $$ and get better quality sheets. The sheen isn’t perfect, but it’s smooth enough for side art – that’s all I care about lol. So here’s what she looks like at the moment. Try to ignore the slurpee straw and furniture movers under the feet lol. Next up, paint the inside of the monitor glass and start on that marquee.  :)

« Last Edit: October 01, 2017, 11:54:49 pm by krangbrain »

leapinlew

• Some questionable things going on in this room with cheetos
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 07:09:32 pm
« Reply #41 on: February 10, 2017, 03:02:22 pm »
Nice!

On the coin inserts, how about "Use Force to Eject"

gdonovan

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 05, 2021, 02:37:58 pm
« Reply #42 on: February 10, 2017, 04:27:12 pm »
How were you able to get the buttons apart? I have 2 new ones and I'm unable to get them apart after prying the "release tabs"

Gary

opt2not

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 15, 2024, 07:31:21 pm
« Reply #43 on: February 10, 2017, 05:29:45 pm »

:lol ^ I like this.

krangbrain

• Offline Offline
« Reply #44 on: February 10, 2017, 11:05:59 pm »
How were you able to get the buttons apart? I have 2 new ones and I'm unable to get them apart after prying the "release tabs"

Gary

I had to use 2 very small screwdrivers.  I would get one side open a bit, put something between the 2 pieces, then open up the other side. It was definitely a struggle. The tabs from one of the original ones that came with the coin door broke trying to get it apart, so be careful. I'm sure they were brittle from age, though.

If I end up changing the inserts, I'll take pics of how I get it apart. Although you'll probably have figured it out by then lol.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2017, 11:09:02 pm by krangbrain »

krangbrain

• Offline Offline
« Reply #45 on: February 10, 2017, 11:07:45 pm »
Nice!

Lol good idea. What do others think? Should I leave it with the traditional "push to reject" or change it up?

SpaceHedgehog

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 06, 2023, 12:10:24 pm
  • Almost done ...
« Reply #46 on: February 11, 2017, 07:56:42 am »
Nice!

Lol good idea. What do others think? Should I leave it with the traditional "push to reject" or change it up?

I like leapinlew's idea. You already have the Star Wars logo so may as well go the whole hog and change the wording too.
Click a pic for a video tour 

rootbeer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 13, 2018, 10:06:41 am
« Reply #47 on: February 11, 2017, 10:01:08 am »
"Force push to eject."

gdonovan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #48 on: February 11, 2017, 10:49:33 am »

I had to use 2 very small screwdrivers.  I would get one side open a bit, put something between the 2 pieces, then open up the other side. It was definitely a struggle. The tabs from one of the original ones that came with the coin door broke trying to get it apart, so be careful. I'm sure they were brittle from age, though.

If I end up changing the inserts, I'll take pics of how I get it apart. Although you'll probably have figured it out by then lol.

I was able to take apart one of my original Atari units fairly easy, not so much luck with the new ones I purchased.

At least now I can scan in the OEM Atari and make a matching image. Once I scan it I'll upload for everyone.

Is is it copyright?

;-)
« Last Edit: February 11, 2017, 12:08:21 pm by gdonovan »

krangbrain

• Offline Offline
« Reply #49 on: February 11, 2017, 12:05:03 pm »
"Force push to eject."

This is what I was thinking when I woke up this morning! I know, pathetic it's like one of the first things I think of lol.

leapinlew

• Offline Offline
« Reply #50 on: February 11, 2017, 12:38:50 pm »
Force Push was what I originally thought too, but I felt it bordered on too geeky.

krangbrain

• Offline Offline
« Reply #51 on: February 11, 2017, 03:36:13 pm »
Force Push was what I originally thought too, but I felt it bordered on too geeky.

Yeah I think you're probably right, and I don't know if the term "force push" was a thing back in Star Wars' early days.

leapinlew

• Offline Offline
« Reply #52 on: February 11, 2017, 04:41:37 pm »

Yeah I think you're probably right, and I don't know if the term "force push" was a thing back in Star Wars' early days.

I'm a Star Wars fan but not a super fan. I have an upright Star Wars cabinet in my collection (it's one of my grails). The first time I remember force push was when I played Dark Forces in 1995.

krangbrain

• Offline Offline
« Reply #53 on: February 11, 2017, 05:14:13 pm »
I'm a Star Wars fan but not a super fan. I have an upright Star Wars cabinet in my collection (it's one of my grails). The first time I remember force push was when I played Dark Forces in 1995.

I'm seriously jealous. It's funny, even being a big SW fan I never liked the original game when I was a kid. I did like playing Empire on my Atari, though.

I think "force push" is too much a "modern" SW term for this build.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2017, 05:57:09 pm by krangbrain »

gdonovan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #54 on: February 12, 2017, 01:37:01 pm »
Although you'll probably have figured it out by then lol.

A bit more muscle was required, I practice on an old one first.

The results.. well worth the effort.

krangbrain

• Offline Offline
« Reply #55 on: February 12, 2017, 05:54:41 pm »

A bit more muscle was required, I practice on an old one first.

The results.. well worth the effort.

Nice! Glad you were able to get those opened up without any busted tabs  :)

krangbrain

• Offline Offline
« Reply #56 on: February 12, 2017, 06:06:58 pm »
So I'm getting my marquee retainers ready and I want to drill the screw holes, but I'm not sure how much room I should give for the marquee. I originally thought of sandwiching the marquee art between two 1/8" pieces of glass. That means I need to allow for at least a 1/4" space. But now I'm considering having it reverse printed by Brad. So I have 2 questions:

1. Do you know how thick the plexi is that brad uses?

2. Since the vinyl is adhered to the plexi, do I need 2 pieces, or just the one that it's attached to?

Thanks in advance, guys.

krangbrain

• Offline Offline
« Reply #57 on: February 13, 2017, 02:05:46 am »
So I'm getting my marquee retainers ready and I want to drill the screw holes, but I'm not sure how much room I should give for the marquee. I originally thought of sandwiching the marquee art between two 1/8" pieces of glass. That means I need to allow for at least a 1/4" space. But now I'm considering having it reverse printed by Brad. So I have 2 questions:

1. Do you know how thick the plexi is that brad uses?

2. Since the vinyl is adhered to the plexi, do I need 2 pieces, or just the one that it's attached to?

Thanks in advance, guys.

Never mind, I emailed Brad and he got back to me like within an hour. Another reason I HIGHLY recommend ordering from him.

rootbeer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 13, 2018, 10:06:41 am
« Reply #58 on: February 13, 2017, 11:08:24 pm »
For reference, what were the answers?

krangbrain

• Offline Offline
« Reply #59 on: February 13, 2017, 11:53:33 pm »
His reply was, "The thicker it is the better it looks...I'd go 3/16" if you can."

I'm assuming you don't need another piece of plexi since the reverse printed screen is adhered to the one he provides. I'm going to install the retainers with 1/4" allowance to be safe.

« Last Edit: February 14, 2017, 12:01:53 am by krangbrain »

krangbrain

• Offline Offline
« Reply #60 on: May 15, 2017, 02:08:42 am »
Hi guys, sorry it's been such as long time since my last update. Life has been crazy and I was addicted to the new Zelda game for about 2 months lol. Anyway, I special ordered these angled aluminum pieces to use as my marquee retainers. I spray painted them black, but still need to drill the holes for the hardware. I think they'll look nice.

I also sprayed the sides of the monitor glass with black primer:

Using an LCD TV has its cons, one being that the black bars on the top and bottom (or sides, if your tv is mounted horizontally) aren't completely black, which kinda bothered me. So I bought some of this stuff:

I cut it to size with a razor blade and straight edge and adhered it the the TV. It took some finesse, but I was able to get it right by my standard. Here's how it turned out:

I took a photo with the TV on, but it doesn't show the difference that's noticeable in person. I'm happy with the result.

I've been working on the artwork here and there. I haven't gotten very far, but I'll post a what I've got once I have something to show. 
« Last Edit: October 02, 2017, 12:00:47 am by krangbrain »

KenToad

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 14, 2024, 12:22:10 am
  • Flap Flap Flap
« Reply #61 on: May 17, 2017, 03:51:05 pm »
This project looks really cool. I'm excited to see what you create for the side art and marquee.

krangbrain

• Offline Offline
« Reply #62 on: October 01, 2017, 11:10:27 pm »
Well, I guess I won't be using photobucket anymore lol. I'll go through the rest of the thread and fix the pictures and hopefully have some updates soon. I've been dying to get back to finishing this but a kitchen renovation and handful of other things over the summer have taken every bit of spare time.  :badmood: I have been working on the artwork. It's just taking me forever cause I can't draw better than my 7-year-old son lol.

Laythe

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 10, 2024, 07:19:50 pm
  • "-smurfing- delivers." - Yots
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,149109.0.html
« Reply #63 on: October 11, 2017, 05:52:42 pm »
Thanks for fixing your pictures - I love this cab, and I think this thread is one of the important references on this forum for how to design around a 16:9 LCD panel right.

Good luck on getting back to this soon.

Niels Arcade

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 01, 2018, 05:35:06 am
  • I built a Star Wars themed arcade cabinet
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,147851.0.html
« Reply #64 on: November 19, 2017, 01:02:34 pm »
I just stumbled upon this project, and wow what you've shown so far is excellent, especially your graphic design and layout of the control panel! I hope to see future updates on this great cab to be.
I built a Star Wars themed arcade cabinet
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,147851.0.html

krangbrain

• Offline Offline
« Reply #65 on: November 24, 2017, 02:15:09 pm »
I just stumbled upon this project, and wow what you've shown so far is excellent, especially your graphic design and layout of the control panel! I hope to see future updates on this great cab to be.

Thanks Niel! I'm looking forward to your build progress, too. I'm always a sucker for Star Wars :)

krangbrain

• Offline Offline
« Reply #66 on: November 24, 2017, 02:55:13 pm »
Ok, finally update time. Here's a couple versions of what I have for my side art so far. They're pretty much the same save the logo in one of them. I know, most cabinets don't have their logos on the side, but I thought it might need something up top so the art wasn't so bottom heavy with the death star and x-wing.  You'll notice that I drew heavily on some of my favorite cabinets, particularly the original Star Wars stand-up (I straight up ripped off the aura around the death star, and the outline/surround is very similar), Xevious, and even Echo Base by DrChek. I wanted to add something to the Logo like "classic arcade machine" or something like that, I just haven't thought of a way to do it tastefully that would flow with the scene. The "swoosh" or trail of the top x-wing might look a little too plain. I thought of adding a colored gradient to the white, but I don't have any gradients elsewhere, and the late 70s and 80s cabs didn't use them to my knowledge. I also debated using the puke green/yellow on the x-wings, but in the end I included it to add a little color. I don't want it to feel too muted with grays and black. I also thought of adding flames or something to the bottom x-wing's thrusters, but nothing I came up with looked good to me. I just thought, "The Xevious artwork doesn't have that, so why should mine?" lol. Everything was done in Inkscape. So what do you guys think? What looks good/what should I change? Thanks for looking!

Niels Arcade

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 01, 2018, 05:35:06 am
  • I built a Star Wars themed arcade cabinet
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,147851.0.html
« Reply #67 on: November 24, 2017, 03:09:44 pm »

Thanks Niel! I'm looking forward to your build progress, too. I'm always a sucker for Star Wars :)

Thanks, actually my cabinet is finished  :) Check my signature link if you'd like to take a look.

Great side art graphics! Really has that old school arcade vibe going on and great throwback to the original Star Wars cab below, but still with it's own identity, very nice. I like it with the logo included best, but without looks great as well.

« Last Edit: November 24, 2017, 03:13:48 pm by Niels Arcade »
I built a Star Wars themed arcade cabinet
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,147851.0.html

darkSSide

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 19, 2023, 08:10:05 pm
  • I want to make my own money!
« Reply #68 on: November 24, 2017, 03:09:52 pm »
I like it with the logo. Awesome work!

Sent from my Atari 2600

darkSSide

• Offline Offline
« Reply #69 on: November 24, 2017, 03:12:54 pm »
Ok, finally update time. Here's a couple versions of what I have for my side art so far. They're pretty much the same save the logo in one of them. I know, most cabinets don't have their logos on the side, but I thought it might need something up top so the art wasn't so bottom heavy with the death star and x-wing.  You'll notice that I drew heavily on some of my favorite cabinets, particularly the original Star Wars stand-up (I straight up ripped off the aura around the death star, and the outline/surround is very similar), Xevious, and even Echo Base by DrChek. I wanted to add something to the Logo like "classic arcade machine" or something like that, I just haven't thought of a way to do it tastefully that would flow with the scene. The "swoosh" or trail of the top x-wing might look a little too plain. I thought of adding a colored gradient to the white, but I don't have any gradients elsewhere, and the late 70s and 80s cabs didn't use them to my knowledge. I also debated using the puke green/yellow on the x-wings, but in the end I included it to add a little color. I don't want it to feel too muted with grays and black. I also thought of adding flames or something to the bottom x-wing's thrusters, but nothing I came up with looked good to me. I just thought, "The Xevious artwork doesn't have that, so why should mine?" lol. Everything was done in Inkscape. So what do you guys think? What looks good/what should I change? Thanks for looking!

Only thing you might want to do is change the lasers on the X-wing as they are suppose to be green.

Sent from my Atari 2600

krangbrain

• Offline Offline
« Reply #70 on: November 24, 2017, 03:22:47 pm »

Thanks, actually my cabinet is finished  :) Check my signature link if you'd like to take a look.

Great side art graphics! Really has that old school arcade vibe going on and great throwback to the original Star Wars cab below, but still with it's own identity, very nice. I like it with the logo included best, but without looks great as well.

I don't know why, but in my mind you had yet to install the side art. lol. Your cabinet looks fantastic.

Thanks for the kind words!

krangbrain

• Offline Offline
« Reply #71 on: November 24, 2017, 03:33:31 pm »
Only thing you might want to do is change the lasers on the X-wing as they are suppose to be green.

[/quote]

I totally thought that, too, before this project. Actually, the tie fighters (and rest of the empire vehicles if I remember) have green lasers. The rebels' vehicles have red. It's weird that they would reverse the colors like that since the lightsabers are the opposite.

darkSSide

• Offline Offline
« Reply #72 on: November 24, 2017, 03:44:04 pm »

I totally thought that, too, before this project. Actually, the tie fighters (and rest of the empire vehicles if I remember) have green lasers. The rebels' vehicles have red. It's weird that they would reverse the colors like that since the lightsabers are the opposite.
[/quote]I stand corrected. Me being a big SW geek I totally forgot the empire lasers were green. Good catch!

Sent from my Atari 2600

brucelee00

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 13, 2020, 05:16:36 pm
« Reply #73 on: November 24, 2017, 05:07:21 pm »
Looking really good! I honestly think you can go either or on the art, but would lean towards with logo, if I had to choose. I'll be posting an updated picture of the art for my cab soon, also drawing inspiration from the Echo Base cab and other classics. Just curious could you take a close up picture of the piano hinge from the outside of the CP ? I'll probably be using one as well, but want to see how visible the hinge is from the outside. Keep up the excellent work. :applaud:
« Last Edit: November 24, 2017, 05:10:31 pm by brucelee00 »

krangbrain

• Offline Offline
« Reply #74 on: November 24, 2017, 05:44:33 pm »
Looking really good! I honestly think you can go either or on the art, but would lean towards with logo, if I had to choose. I'll be posting an updated picture of the art for my cab soon, also drawing inspiration from the Echo Base cab and other classics. Just curious could you take a close up picture of the piano hinge from the outside of the CP ? I'll probably be using one as well, but want to see how visible the hinge is from the outside. Keep up the excellent work. :applaud:

Thanks, man! I’ll have to keep an eye on your build! I’ll tey to take a pic of the piano hinge today. Gotta move some boxes waiting for Christmas haha

harveybirdman

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 19, 2024, 12:40:25 pm
  • SHMUP'EM
« Reply #75 on: November 24, 2017, 06:49:26 pm »
If it were me I'd 86 the logo, doesn't feel right to me.

Smh at green lasers... c'mon man everybody knows xwing lasers are red.

darkSSide

• Offline Offline
« Reply #76 on: November 24, 2017, 06:51:09 pm »

Hahahaha yeah man I manage a retail store so got crazy here and my mind is all jummbled

Sent from my Atari 2600

krangbrain

• Offline Offline
« Reply #77 on: November 24, 2017, 07:06:49 pm »

Hahahaha yeah man I manage a retail store so got crazy here and my mind is all jummbled

Sent from my Atari 2600

Retail store manager checking the forums on Black Friday... this is the kind of dedication this site needs haha

TheGreatRedDragon

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 23, 2023, 12:40:53 pm
« Reply #78 on: November 24, 2017, 10:34:30 pm »
I think that sideart is perfect without the logo. It doesn't need a logo to balance it out, the design carries the eye up the side of the panel just fine and the logo gets in the way IMO.

krangbrain

• Offline Offline
« Reply #79 on: November 24, 2017, 10:35:09 pm »

Here's a picture from the outside. You can see it if you bend down or from afar, but not when standing close to it. It's pretty well hidden painted black, but I don't mind if hardware shows a bit as long as it doesn't stand out like a sore thumb. Of course, you can make adjustments during installation to show less or more of it as you prefer.