Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: My first build - stand up mameq  (Read 3262 times)

adakc

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 15, 2017, 07:43:34 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
My first build - stand up mameq
« on: May 31, 2016, 09:59:15 pm »
I found a decent deal on craiglist for a partially built cab with speakers and lcd monitor.  I pick it up this weekend.  I like the button layout.  I am thinking of getting a control bundle on amazon (16 buttons with 2 sanwa 4/8 way joysticks).  I have a pi 3 and an old PC for the computer.  Overall size of cabinet is 32"  wide X 24" deep and 72" tall.

I will try to update my progress.  In addition to the items mentioned, I plan to add some custom decals and maybe a lit marquee. 

I am 45.  So I am into donkey kong, galaga, pac man, ms pac man.  Maybe a golden tee (if I can squeeze a ball in).

I have added pics of the cab i am getting.  Any advice is appreciated as well.

Thanks.

adakc

• Offline Offline
Re: My first build - stand up mameq
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2017, 08:36:55 pm »
Update.

I ordered game room solutions kit with sanwa sticks.  I used a raspberry pi 3 - retropie.  I used it that was just to get it up and running.  Now almost a year later I finally spent a weekend working to make it look much better.

Phase 1 completed - just get the thing running.  I did that right away.  As stated above.  Just for the money curious folks out there, I will keep a tally going.

Partially finished cab with monitor - $100
Rasberry pi 3 - $40
Button/Joystick bundler $105
Total for a working system - $245

Phase 2 rebuild the control panel.  A coworker cut 1/4 ply along with small 1x2 for framing it.  I went to lowes and had some plexi cut.  I also had bezel cut from the sheet and marquee; for next phase.  I bought mario world poster online.

I picked a button layout from slagcoin.  I printed out the size I wanted and taped it to the panel.  I mounted plexi with holes in four corners.  Then drilled the rest of the holes using step bit.  First time with a step bit. It was much easier than I thought.  I know a lot of panels are from 3/8 or 1/2 particle board.  But, for me, framing the 1/4" play and overlaying with plexi made it easy to work with and plenty stiff.

I wired buttons, joysticks and LEDs.  Then I attached to the cabinet with a hinge.

I also attached the power strip to the back.  Before it was just sloppy.  Cleaner look.  A bit more pro looking.

I mounted the pie to the cabinet using velcro strips.  Before I just let it hand inside.  Very ghetto I know.

Step bit - $35
Plexi - $55
Artwork - $10
Mod Hodge, hinges, velcro and fasteners - $30
Total at this point - $375

So that is where I am at this point.

adakc

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2017, 09:03:22 pm »
Pics of phase 2
« Last Edit: March 26, 2017, 09:09:38 pm by adakc »

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 03:14:03 am
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2017, 11:38:10 pm »
Now fix that janky bezel. :cheers:
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

adakc

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2017, 10:45:47 pm »
Now fix that janky bezel. :cheers:

That is already in the works. Have the plexi ready.  I am planning on painting to frame it in.  I was gonna do it this past weekend and wanted to paint it in the garage but the weather was terrible here.  So I stayed inside and just worked on that other stuff.

Bezel will be done after next week, gotta go to shanghai on Saturday.  So that kinda wrecks this weekend.  Cant wait to get back and finish that bezel.  Then a marquee.

Still messing with images.  I have Nachos 64 GB image on my pi now.  Kinda digging that one.  Except having trouble connecting to it from my PC.  Cant get player 2 controls going.  Ill figure it out eventually.

mourix

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 06:50:29 am
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2017, 03:03:36 pm »
When I saw the original control panel I was a bit worried, but I love your new creation. Well done :applaud: