Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Jpac stopped working after zero delay interface plugged into PC  (Read 1451 times)

1500points

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 20, 2018, 01:44:12 pm
    • How to succeed at Robotron
Hello all,
I searched this site and also messaged Andy, but maybe one of you has a quick solution.  Plus it will allow this topic to be searchable for future reference.

I have a windows 7 PC which has been running a Jpac for a long time. It always works fine and when it stops I simply reboot the PC.  Plugged in via USB.

So recently I plugged in one of those cheap Chinese zero delay usb interfaces to the same PC, with the Jpac not connected.
the ZD ran fine and it maps like a joystick.

Upon plugging the Jpac back in, the computer no longer recognizes it so it doesn't work.  The leds do light up on the Jpac when plugged into the PC.

I installed a fresh copy of the winipac utility from the ultimarc site.  I tried to choose "program" but the utility flashes a generic error code and closes out.

What do I need to change or modify on the PC so it will once again recognize the Jpac USB interface?
I looked through control panel>drivers but didn't find anything obvious in the list, nor could I figure out exactly where the controller interfaces are referenced.

I plugged the Jpac into a different PC and it dings in recognition of installing the device. So I know the Jpac is good.
My main mame pc will simply no longer recognize that the jpac is plugged in.

Any ideas?
thank you.

1500points

• Offline Offline
Re: Jpac stopped working after zero delay interface plugged into PC
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2016, 12:31:27 am »
No one has any ideas?
I plugged an ipac into the pc and it installed the usb device driver for ipac2 and works properly.
I can also program the ipac with the winipac utility, so I know that is also working.

but the Jpac still not working.

When I shut the computer off and restart with the Jpac plugged in, go to the winipac utility and try to program. it flashes an error and shuts down the winipac utility.

I am stumped.  I also tried deleting all the usb entries in the device driver list and rebooting.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2016, 12:46:20 am by 1500points »

paigeoliver

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 29, 2022, 06:10:15 pm
  • Awesome face!
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2016, 02:27:13 am »
Plug it into another computer and see if it works there.
Acceptance of Zen philosophy is marred slightly by the nagging thought that if all things are interconnected, then all things must be in some way involved with Pauly Shore.

1500points

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2016, 11:20:05 am »
Update-

Andy had me go to control panel>device manager>right click on
the Keyboard entry in the Keyboard section, uninstall.  also the USB composite device under the USB section.
Reboot PC.
Jpac still not being recognized.

Switched the USB cable to the other connector on the Jpac PCB (there are 2 identical).
Then the PC acknowledged the PCB and installed the driver.

Working again and now there is an HID keyboard entry under the device manager>keyboard section.

So it looks like for some bizarre reason that connector went bad without being physically touched in any way or jiggled. odd but it is working again, so back to learning about Daphne!  woot.

thanks for the reply, too.  :)

1500points

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2016, 05:30:20 pm »
Andy clarified that the second plug is for keyboard passthru, the usb should be plugged into port labeled PC.
Oddly enough, I had been using the wrong keyboard port successfully for the years since I purchased it.  d'oh.