Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Yet Another Donkey Kong Scratch Build  (Read 49893 times)

zinger

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 25, 2019, 05:09:31 pm
  • There's a Donkey Kong Kill Screen coming up!
Re: Yet Another Donkey Kong Scratch Build
« Reply #120 on: September 22, 2017, 01:48:32 am »
This project was clean and well done from the beginning. You just made it 100x better with the addition of the PCB and the CRT. :applaud:
Thanks Mike!

zinger

• Offline Offline
« Reply #121 on: September 22, 2017, 01:55:35 am »
I painted the back and inside with a flat black paint. This might not be a good move as it seems to get dirty really easy. I think I may get a satin and paint another coat. Also, I installed some finishes.

I printed out the non-compliance FCC sticker and installed serial plate from behrmr. I want eventually install one that has the TKG4 serial number from the DK board that I have.

Installed the speaker grill from behrmr.

Finally, I have these. Should I switch to these for the handles?

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:19:17 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #122 on: September 22, 2017, 02:32:47 am »
I’d keep what you have. It’s a very nicely done machine.
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

zinger

• Offline Offline
« Reply #123 on: September 25, 2017, 01:47:56 am »
I’d keep what you have. It’s a very nicely done machine.
I decided to keep what I have.  :)

I had a power-on party this weekend and we were able to hook up the DK pcb.
  • The first Sanyo monitor we tried appears to be dead. The fuses were good but nothing was showing up and no sound. This will need some debug.
  • The second Sanyo monitor needed new fuse. After fixing this then sound was working great but video was bad. We finally got the picture fairly stable but picture looked bad. It looks like monitor needs cap kit.
     See pic below.
  • The last monitor also had picture corruption that possibly a cap kit could help with.

Here's a picture of what the best image we were able to get. I should have turned off light above for pic.

Smoke-Inator

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 24, 2021, 09:45:31 pm
« Reply #124 on: September 27, 2017, 01:44:32 pm »
did you ever get the measurements for the pcb boards? i can get into my mario bros if you still need them

zinger

• Offline Offline
« Reply #125 on: September 28, 2017, 03:39:23 am »
No, I don't have measurements for that. Does Mario use same size board for the pcb to rest on as DK?

ChanceKJ

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 07, 2021, 02:52:06 pm
« Reply #126 on: September 28, 2017, 04:27:23 pm »
« Last Edit: March 19, 2021, 02:22:46 am by ChanceKJ »

zinger

• Offline Offline
« Reply #127 on: September 29, 2017, 04:02:23 am »
Yes, absolutely. the plastic ones you have look too...  "made in china modern mass produced".
Yeah, you're right. I'll work towards putting these in instead.

I started the process of taking the Sanyo boards out and recapping. Several folks use water to wash the entire monitor including the pcbs. I'm considering washing the pcbs. The rest of the monitor is clean enough where I don't want to risk anything.

I replaced a single cap. Now just 23 more to go along with 3 resistors!
« Last Edit: September 29, 2017, 04:07:41 am by zinger »

wp34

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 10, 2022, 09:48:19 pm
« Reply #128 on: September 29, 2017, 10:32:34 am »
That grill looks better than the one on my original cab.   :applaud: :applaud: :applaud:

Installed the speaker grill from behrmr.

zinger

• Offline Offline
« Reply #129 on: October 02, 2017, 03:19:46 am »
I've recapped a monitor and it now has the dreaded vertical collapse problem.

I'm currently working through the logic in the Sanyo schematic that controls the vertical parameters for the monitor. I've replaced TR402, TR403, IC LA1464, and R216 that was blown up. Hopefully, this won't take too long to debug.

Also, posted this in the Monitor/Video section.

zinger

• Offline Offline
« Reply #130 on: October 03, 2017, 02:22:39 am »
After testing caps, transistors and looking for broken traces (continuity tests), I then started testing all of the resistors and actually found a bad one at R473. Replacing this fixed the problem!  :applaud:

Now the monitor seems ok but now I'm not getting anything from DK board.  :banghead:

It seems there are two caps on the DK board that have gone bad. The other seem fine. I wonder if these could have gone bad when the Sanyo smoked and maybe caused a spike across the video signal cable? I'm not hearing any audio either.

I could really use a pattern test generator right now just to verify the monitor is good.

The follow pic looks good in person. That's the vertical refresh and I also have the brightness turned up.

Here's the bad resistor.

zinger

• Offline Offline
« Reply #131 on: October 05, 2017, 12:09:16 am »
2 out of 3 power supplies I tried were bad. One was generating 16V instead of 24V on one of the outputs and the other was not generating 5V. The third power supply was good.

So now I'm able to see some output to the monitor which is good! So vertical collapse issue is definitely behind me. However, looks like I need to recap it yet again after I smoked it. Also, it seems new problems have a occurred with DK board. The Braze Highscore Save Kit has a self test and its indicating some RAM is bad. There were no errors before I smoked the Sanyo.

So I'm going to look at replacing these chips and see what happens. If problem persist then I'll probably replace the Z80 as well.

zinger

• Offline Offline
« Reply #132 on: October 06, 2017, 02:28:18 am »
I talked to Scott from Braze Technologies and he stated the 40 on the screen is indicating that bit 6 (0x40 or b01000000) for the result is incorrect. I verified with the logic probe that bit 6 on the data path for all of these rams is tied to high. So likely the ram chips themselves are fine but possibly a problem with some buffer (e.g. ls245 at 6A) between them and the CPU.

Also, when I told Mike from Mike's arcade about this problem he immediately suggested that likely an ls245, etc. is bad and not the ram. It's kind of cool to see his experience on this as my debug is showing he is likely correct.

If you own a DK then I think getting one of these Highscore Save Kits from Braze would be a good idea to help diagnose problems.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2017, 02:31:23 am by zinger »

zinger

• Offline Offline
« Reply #133 on: October 13, 2017, 02:36:19 am »
I'm finally making some progress. I've been cutting pins and replacing chips along the data bus until I found the culprit. I now have to go back and fix some of the pins I cut on some of the ICs. Hopefully, this resolves the last of the video problems seen in the pic below. Although, I'm not hearing any sound. Hopefully, that's easy to figure out.

Desoldering ICs from a PCB is proving to be a total pain!!  :angry: The pic below shows the wire patch I soldered in to hook pins 1 and 19 together on a new LS240 chip. When desoldering the bad LS240, I ended up ripping up a pad and trace that connected pin 1 to pin 19. Kind of sucks to make more work for yourself when fixing stuff.  :)

Here is the chip soldered into the DK PCB at 4N. If I had a better soldering iron then I would have installed a socket first.

zinger

• Offline Offline
« Reply #134 on: October 13, 2017, 06:16:12 pm »
I know this is boring compared to the Cuphead thread. I'm pretty excited to see that one get done. :)

However, I fixed the last pin that I had cut (well temporarily) and "Hell yeah!!". It looks to be working!! I've come back from a completely dead Sanyo (smoked it) and dead DK board to get here!!

It's interesting that fixing the data bus problem fixed my wavey picture problem too. I thought I was going to have to recap the monitor again. I haven't made any adjustments yet to the monitor but the picture is solid.

The green wire in the pic below is the hack I did to fix pin. I did this before leaving to work this morning to see if this was the last problem. Just found a random wire and soldered it in. I'm going to replace the chip entirely.

leapinlew

• Some questionable things going on in this room with cheetos
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 19, 2024, 06:19:27 pm
« Reply #135 on: October 13, 2017, 10:16:18 pm »
omg. You got some serious skills and dedication. Honestly, 95% of the people here, especially me, aren't at that level. I would've replaced that monitor long ago. Good job, I'm sure it got frustrating at times.

ChanceKJ

• Offline Offline
« Reply #136 on: October 14, 2017, 03:27:30 am »
« Last Edit: March 19, 2021, 02:22:14 am by ChanceKJ »

zinger

• Offline Offline
« Reply #137 on: October 15, 2017, 10:29:06 pm »
omg. You got some serious skills and dedication. Honestly, 95% of the people here, especially me, aren't at that level. I would've replaced that monitor long ago. Good job, I'm sure it got frustrating at times.
Thanks leapinlew! My problems are not over yet. I've now lost sync with the monitor and have another problem to look at. :)

VERY Impressive.  :applaud:

It's kinda the unintended curse with these games once you start walking into the restoration territory.  I found that once i had to get into CRT's, old power supplies, and actual arcade PCB's my knowledge and skillset needed to increase drastically to stay on top of new challenges.  SOOOO worth it tho.  Now in an effort to not have to deal with a computer running a jigsaw package of software (like on my MAME cab) i'd much rather deal with something that plugs right into an edge connector and turns on. Sadly this comes a cost, there are so many cool ideas i've had for custom cab projects that have fallen by the wayside in favour of resurrecting an actual classic like my Robotron, Sheriff, or my Ghouls n' Ghosts.  In a way BYOAC was a gateway drug to get me over to KLOV.   Next up is a life on Pinside to do a full shop of my 1978 Playmatic. 

At any rate, I'm SERIOUSLY impressed with this build. I feel like i know the in's and out's of a Nintendo cab, and this one (much like a choice couple of others) is far and away one of the best i've ever seen.
Wow! Thanks for that! This definitely helps me to keep moving forward. I originally started this project because I thought it would be cool to have an arcade game in the playroom for the kids. This has turned out to be way more involved then I was intending.

zinger

• Offline Offline
« Reply #138 on: October 15, 2017, 10:35:12 pm »
After my perfect result... I started seeing a wavey/shakey picture but its only become worse. I have now lost sync with DK board. I tried adjusting the h-hold on the Sanyo but it went into HV shutdown. Its back up again. :badmood:

I'm going to replace VR1 and VR2 50K ohm pots on the DK PCB and hope this fixes it.

My big problem is that I don't know if the Sanyo is bad or if its DK PCB. I'm thinking DK right now.

zinger

• Offline Offline
« Reply #139 on: October 16, 2017, 02:00:41 am »
I got a chance to test VR1 and VR2 pots on the DK board.  VR1 seems shorted and VR2 works almost half way up to 16K ohms and then shorts out. So I'm optimistic that replacing these will solve my sync problem.

Paradroid

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 10, 2024, 04:41:43 am
    • SCART Hunter
« Reply #140 on: October 16, 2017, 10:40:44 pm »
Some serious "can do" attitude and DIY commitment... diving into PCB and chassis repair as tasks within the overall project. Bravo! :cheers:
My MAME/SCART/CRT blog: SCART Hunter

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 10:33:19 am
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #141 on: October 17, 2017, 08:40:00 am »
Yeah. I like it. No fear. I have done minor repairs and it is pretty cool to bring a dead game back to life. I have a Monaco GP that was working but now has issues. I am looking forward to diving into that monster PCB.

zinger

• Offline Offline
« Reply #142 on: October 18, 2017, 02:54:51 am »
Some serious "can do" attitude and DIY commitment... diving into PCB and chassis repair as tasks within the overall project. Bravo! :cheers:
Yeah. I like it. No fear. I have done minor repairs and it is pretty cool to bring a dead game back to life. I have a Monaco GP that was working but now has issues. I am looking forward to diving into that monster PCB.
Thanks guys! I think diving into your Monaco GP would be fun. :)

zinger

• Offline Offline
« Reply #143 on: October 18, 2017, 03:04:42 am »
I replaced the LS245 chip at 6A on the DK board. This is the one I had broken a pin on when debugging my data bus problem. I broke pins to see which IC was causing the bus line to always be tied high instead of normally going into either a high impedance state or providing inputs to the bus.

I desoldered the broken chip without breaking a pad and ripping up a trace this time!

I soldered in a new chip and it looks good.

Its a near perfect solder job except for pin 19 where the soldered flowed to the back of the pin.

I was going to solder in a socket but I really wanted to be able to better see the solder joints after to make sure everything looks good.

zinger

• Offline Offline
« Reply #144 on: October 18, 2017, 03:17:48 am »
Today, I went to a local gizmos store and bought a couple 50K pots for the DK board. I tested them right in the store to be sure they worked. They clearly weren't going to fit on the DK board but I didn't want to wait for new ones to be shipped to see if this is the last problem left.

Here is a pic of the pots that I temporarily attached to the DK board. I just soldered some black wires to the pot's leads and soldered the other ends to the PCB. Very hackey but they worked perfect!

With these installed my picture is back!!!   :laugh2:

I'm cautiously happy right now. :) I'm hoping I can spend the weekend working on the cabinet to finish getting things ready to install this stuff.

Thanks to Buffett from Arcade Buffett (http://thearcadebuffett.com/) who helped me solve my last problem by suggesting that I focus a bit more on tweaking the v-hold knob. I almost took the Sanyo PCB out again to start figuring out why I was getting vertical scrolling. I had tweaked v-hold but apparently didn't play with it enough.

zinger

• Offline Offline
« Reply #145 on: October 23, 2017, 03:50:49 am »
This weekend I bought signed bottle of Billy Mitchell's hot sauce at the Portland Retro Gaming Expo. Maybe it will help me finish this cabinet. I'm interested in trying this out.

Also, a guy I met from Craigslist dropped off a Radar Scope pcb that was converted to a DK. I'm going to convert it back to a Radar Scope for him. This should be a fun project. Should I blog this somewhere on these forums?

Here's the Radar Scope DK. The game itself seems like an unpolished version of the DK that I've been playing on my TKG4 board. Also, I've seen some intermittent video corruption and checked the VR1/VR2 pots and they are bad. So going to get board working before conversion.

Finally, starting to setup my arcade area in the playroom. DK will go right there! I'm hoping to finish in the next week or two!

zinger

• Offline Offline
« Reply #146 on: October 27, 2017, 03:49:43 am »
The DK PCB is finally done! The pots for VR1/VR2 came in today and I've installed them.

Now I just need to install all of this stuff in the cabinet. However, going to first finish the DK to Radarscope conversion on TRS2 PCBs that I'm working on.

chris77

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 17, 2024, 10:08:55 am
  • Instant C
    • visual pinball
« Reply #147 on: October 27, 2017, 04:56:22 am »
awesome, can't wait to see it finished  :applaud:  :cheers:

zinger

• Offline Offline
« Reply #148 on: November 06, 2017, 02:57:31 am »
I'll be getting back to finishing the DK build this week. So this is somewhat off topic but still related to DK! :)

I've taken a small break and over the past couple of weeks, I've been converting a DK back to Radar Scope (TRS2 4-stack) for a fellow arcade collector.

For this, I fixed bad ECL ram @ 5N causing sprite issues (vertical lines), undid 12 trace cuts (new jumps), removed over 10 jumps, changed out 8 caps, reprogrammed the roms, etc. Most of reworks is the re-enabling the hardware that draws the grid (VID) and twinkling stars (SOU).

Before:

After:

After w/ correct proms.

Anyway, I'm excited to get back to finishing the DK cabinet. The inside is looking really good. I haven't taken pictures of it yet but will.

emphatic

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 09:41:25 am
  • -"Suck it, Donny!" -"No, YOU suck it.... more".
    • Emphatic's Video Game Collection
« Reply #149 on: November 11, 2017, 05:57:26 am »
Beautiful work.  :cheers:

zinger

• Offline Offline
« Reply #150 on: November 19, 2017, 04:16:38 am »
My new goal is next weekend to finish DK! I got side tracked again by another project...

I am honored to have had a chance to fix a Sky Skipper for fellow arcade collector. This was pretty cool! If you don't know the story of Sky Skipper then go here: https://www.skyskipperproject.com/

Also, same collector put the Radar Scope pcb, that I converted back to from a DK, back in its home and it looks great!

ChanceKJ

• Offline Offline
« Reply #151 on: December 08, 2017, 03:26:57 am »
« Last Edit: March 19, 2021, 02:21:52 am by ChanceKJ »

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:19:17 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #152 on: December 08, 2017, 08:18:15 am »
I kinda find it funny that the significance of the Sky Skipper board in your picture is lost on most of the people on BYOAC. :)    Well, mainly those who arn't also on KLOV, or huge Nintendo Nerds like me.  Not a bad thing, it just goes to show how something so rare is really only interesting to certain people.

You’re right, you are a huge Nintendo nerd. ;)
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

ChanceKJ

• Offline Offline
« Reply #153 on: December 08, 2017, 10:50:38 am »
« Last Edit: March 19, 2021, 02:21:40 am by ChanceKJ »

bplail

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 11, 2023, 11:11:24 pm
  • Currently building a DK cab
« Reply #154 on: August 20, 2018, 12:08:18 am »
This came out great! Love your work!

javeryh

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 10:28:40 am
« Reply #155 on: August 20, 2018, 08:11:40 am »
The DK looks fantastic! My favorite cab.

Love the Radar Scope too - wish I had room in my house for more Nintendo cabs.