Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: force radion  (Read 3679 times)

joe4

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 29, 2016, 02:06:32 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
force radion
« on: March 18, 2016, 12:24:48 pm »
so I have a megatouch force radion 2005.5. When I start the machine up I can here the tube power up but no fans start up. I replaced the power supply today and nothing changed. the screen is black like its not working. the mother board has a red light on when power is on. please help

lilshawn

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 11:47:13 pm
  • I break stuff...then fix it...sometimes
Re: force radion
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2016, 01:43:42 pm »
best to post in the merit/JVL touchscreen sub for maximum exposure...

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/board,54.0.html

the battery on the board has likely died. the motherboard BIOS is normally set to come on after the power is lost, but by default it stays off. pull the board and change the button cell battery on the actual motherboard (CR2032)

connect a keyboard and then you can then jumpstart the board by jumping the 2 power switch connectors on the board. On the force boards the header is located in the very corner of the board. if you where to hold the board with the board components facing you and the monitor/keyboard/usb connectors to the top it would be on the bottom left side. it will have a black connector overtop of all the pins with 1 or 2/3 black/white wires (depends on version) on it. just pull the block connector off and jump the power switch pins. I don't recall exactly which 2 pins...it's at the end of the block of pins.

once you have the board going press delete to enter the bios and change the "On AC power loss" to "on"

if the board refuses to power up,  may have a bigger issue.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2016, 01:45:58 pm by lilshawn »

joe4

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 29, 2016, 02:06:32 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2016, 04:28:42 pm »
Thanks lilshawn everything is working again. I Just did what you said. :applaud:

lilshawn

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2016, 04:54:25 pm »
no problem. it's a common issue.    :cheers:

I also recommend taking the heatsink off the CPU and cleaning off the thermal interface material they used on there. it's 100% crap. I do every force board that comes across my desk.

You are going to need to use something pretty strong to get it off. (lacquer thinner, contact cleaner, or acetone.) clean it off squeaky clean and put some good quality heatsink grease under there. these processors tend to overheat easily. changing the heatsink grease will keep things lots cooler and last much longer.

otsep

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 05, 2024, 12:44:12 pm
  • I'm your huckleberry...
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2016, 10:03:09 pm »
I also recommend taking the heatsink off the CPU and cleaning off the thermal interface material they used on there. it's 100% crap. I do every force board that comes across my desk.

You are going to need to use something pretty strong to get it off. (lacquer thinner, contact cleaner, or acetone.) clean it off squeaky clean and put some good quality heatsink grease under there. these processors tend to overheat easily. changing the heatsink grease will keep things lots cooler and last much longer.

What thermal compound do you recommend?
Vids: Namco Rockin' Bowl-O-Rama
Pins: Aerosmith Pro, ST Premium Vault, Beatles Gold

Remember Wheaton's Law

lilshawn

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2016, 04:34:15 pm »
anything really... I use whatever i happen to have.

I tend to gravitate towards the silicone based compounds, they are not conductive and tend to resist drying out.

I'm currently using this:

http://www.rpelectronics.com/860-150g-silicone-heat-sink-compound-mg-chemicals.html

mainly because over the course of a year i'll do thermal compound on literally 100's of FETs, regulators, CPU's, GPU's, etc. so i buy in bulk.

from cheapest to best most expensive compound out there performce is really nil.  so really, whatever you got...use.

otsep

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 05, 2024, 12:44:12 pm
  • I'm your huckleberry...
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2016, 04:37:25 pm »
anything really... I use whatever i happen to have.

I tend to gravitate towards the silicone based compounds, they are not conductive and tend to resist drying out.

I'm currently using this:

http://www.rpelectronics.com/860-150g-silicone-heat-sink-compound-mg-chemicals.html

mainly because over the course of a year i'll do thermal compound on literally 100's of FETs, regulators, CPU's, GPU's, etc. so i buy in bulk.

from cheapest to best most expensive compound out there performce is really nil.  so really, whatever you got...use.

I haven't bought any yet, so thanks for the pointer.  I need to find a damn IDE DVD drive to reinstall software.  Good times.
Vids: Namco Rockin' Bowl-O-Rama
Pins: Aerosmith Pro, ST Premium Vault, Beatles Gold

Remember Wheaton's Law

ed12

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 31, 2018, 03:44:39 pm
  • it is what it is..."Nobody Said It Was Easy"....
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2016, 08:56:06 pm »
klov has an exelent d/l page for  merit

ed
Shipping something from the U.S. to Canada for repair/exchange?  Please use USPS to avoid (additional?/excessive?) shipping charges.  PM me if you have any questions.