Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Using sequential shifter with games like Outrun  (Read 5036 times)

xga

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 28, 2023, 02:01:35 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Using sequential shifter with games like Outrun
« on: November 19, 2015, 06:49:55 am »
Hi Guys,

Does anyone know if there's a way to get games like Outrun working with a sequential gear shifter that auto return to centre?  E.g. Moving the shifter to the down position will only shift the gear to low and moving the shifter to the up position will only shift the gear to high.

I've had a look at H2Seq, but I don't think that can help in this situation.  I think it might have to be at the driver level?

Thanks in advance.

BadMouth

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 08:21:52 pm
Re: Using sequential shifter with games like Outrun
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2015, 10:07:09 am »
I haven't actually used it because I have a 4 speed, but I thought that's what H2Seq did.

You do have to use a version of MAME that doesn't have the shifter in the game set up on a toggle.
Either RacerMAME or v.151 or newer with custom settings in the individual game cfg.
This is covered in the stickied driving cab info thread.
I'd give RacerMAME a try since it's from the same author as H2Seq.

It's important to keep in mind how these old Hi/Lo games originally worked.
To save money, they only had one switch for either Hi or Lo.  If the switch wasn't tripped, the game just assumed you were in the other gear.
So the way a solution would have to work would be to engage the virtual switch when you push a direction, then disengage the virtual switch if (and only if) you push the other direction.
Not sure if that's exactly how H2Seq works.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2015, 10:09:53 am by BadMouth »

baritonomarchetto

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 03:42:26 am
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2015, 10:27:03 am »
H2Seq helps you using H shifter games (es. Daytona usa, hard drivin' etc) in a cab with sequential shifter (like yours). In addition helps using a single button to cycle between multiple views, but this is something i added later. As far as i know there's not out there a way to use single switch gear games like outrun, chase hq etc with 2 switches the way you intend: only toggle. For shure H2Seq cannot handle the shifter that way. Using Racermame160 in most of those games in the per-game video options you can set the Cshifter icon, which is a (better looking in my opinion) alternative to the mame default shifter icon.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2015, 11:46:44 am by baritonomarchetto »

Nuexzz

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 01, 2023, 01:26:58 am
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2015, 11:26:48 pm »
Hi Guys,

Does anyone know if there's a way to get games like Outrun working with a sequential gear shifter that auto return to centre?  E.g. Moving the shifter to the down position will only shift the gear to low and moving the shifter to the up position will only shift the gear to high.

I've had a look at H2Seq, but I don't think that can help in this situation.  I think it might have to be at the driver level?

Thanks in advance.

Tell me the 2 buttons you want to assign ? Button5 example ( up ) and 6 button ( down ) and I could help with a script.

xga

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 28, 2023, 02:01:35 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2015, 08:40:29 am »
Hi Guys,

Thanks in advance.

Tell me the 2 buttons you want to assign ? Button5 example ( up ) and 6 button ( down ) and I could help with a script.

Hi Nuexzz,

Thanks for the offer of helping with a script.

Button 5 (z key) = up
Button 6 (x key) = down

Thanks

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 16, 2024, 05:59:16 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2015, 09:38:16 am »
You would have to use vjoy or something like that where mame doesn't allow fake keyboard inputs correct?

BadMouth

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 08:21:52 pm
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2015, 09:42:53 am »
You would have to use vjoy or something like that where mame doesn't allow fake keyboard inputs correct?

Either that, or use a version of MAME that has been modified to allow fake keyboard input.
(RacerMAME has been)

Nuexzz

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 01, 2023, 01:26:58 am
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2015, 01:07:59 am »
As the guys you have to have a version of mame compiled with force_directinput = 1, but I guess you already have the answer "Button 5 (Z key) = up say
Button 6 (x key) = down "

ok, here I leave a script that will work only if you assign to your mame emulator, etc thus m2emulator.

Shift 1 =key1
Shift 2 =key2
shift 3 =key3
shift 4 =key4

then button 5 and button 6 take care of up and down (you can check it on a notepad)

I leave in a single executable if you have to start with the system.

Cheers

https://www.sendspace.com/file/zj5x74

isamu

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 02:38:32 am
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2016, 05:09:20 pm »
Looks like RacerMame is the way to go  :cheers: