Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: 27" SCEPTRE LCD Monitor $145 at newegg. Good for triple screen setup?  (Read 2715 times)

BadMouth

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 04, 2024, 09:41:59 am
Been keeping my eye out for cheap 27" monitors to do a triple monitor racing setup.
Saw this on slickdeals:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboBundleDetails.aspx?sdtid=8212285&SID=1c7dd82283f111e58d5ba6faf30a3ea40INT&AID=10440897&PID=1225267&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-cables-_-na-_-na&ItemList=Combo.2580171&cm_sp=

Individual monitor link with specs:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824112024&ignorebbr=1

I'm broke from renovating my house (and still have many expenses to incur), but tempted to pick up three of them anyway.
These are just DVI, d-sub, and HDMI input.  Do I need display port for the fancy new triple screen video cards?
They do have the VESA mounts which a lot of budget monitors are lacking.

BadMouth

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 04, 2024, 09:41:59 am
Re: 27" SCEPTRE LCD Monitor $145 at newegg. Good for triple screen setup?
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2015, 02:22:14 pm »
Eh, I think it's an awesome price, but going to hold out for a thinner bezel and wait until I actually have the money in my pocket to pay for it.

There's the deal if anyone else is interested though.

Still curious about the display port question.

lilshawn

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:00:39 pm
  • I break stuff...then fix it...sometimes
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2015, 02:37:04 pm »
not for standard 1080p resolutions.  displayport has it's advantages but HDMI is ubiquitous.

just remember DVI and HDMI are interchangeable. DVI i just doesn't have audio.

I have 4 monitors. 2 via DVI one via HDMI and a 4th extra through standard VGA (for extra junk and system monitors) all on the same card (GTX750ti)

that said, i'd rather go with a singe large wide format monitor at high resolution like the LG ultrawide 29" IPS monitor.

(once you go IPS, you never go back)
« Last Edit: November 05, 2015, 02:41:54 pm by lilshawn »

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 02, 2024, 04:09:27 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2015, 03:33:44 pm »
Damn.... just got my car painted.  They never put anything on sale when I have time/money.

Fursphere

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 09:06:30 am
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2015, 07:53:04 pm »
I thought I read that HDMI can't only do 60 hz?   

The racing sim guys make a big deal out of 120 hz monitors.  I'm not sure myself yet. 

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2015, 10:31:21 pm »
They sell 100 hz TVs so I don't think that's true.  I think hdmi has several versions similar to usb.  They recently added version 1.4, which allows for ultra hd (4k 120hz) formats. 

Xiaou2

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 12, 2024, 06:16:00 am
  • NOM NOM NOM
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2015, 03:29:06 am »
my first LCD was a 37" ?  Spectre.    This was some years back.   Id gotten it based on its cheaper price, and good reviews.

The thing lasted about 3 years... and then refused to turn on.   It was not the bulb... it was something else more costly.

Costco offered to either have the TV repaired... or for a refund.   I chose a refund.   I then proceeded to buy an old Sony 34" widecreen crt that did 1080i ...   and was more than pleased, using it for HD movies, game consoles, and some pc games.  (it wasnt quite clear enough for use as a main PC monitor)

The Septre got really hot.   Generating more heat than a CRT.   It also developed a sort of ghost blotching (translucent darker spots / blobs), that was noticeable when seeing bright colors on screen.    I believe the heat caused materials to fuse... and thus make these internal splotches.

It was cool having such a large desktop... but it was also unusable for what I intended it for:  doing artwork.   The color spectrum on it was severely limited.   Id compare it to my small but accurate PC monitor... and I immediately wanted to nuke every reviewer that claimed good results.   There were many missing color shades, and the brightness and contrasts were so limited and extreme... with no way to adjust them to match the correct levels.

Things Might have changed over this much time.. so I can only tel you to be wary... especially when products go on deep discount / clearance sales.

nugarp

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 29, 2024, 11:51:33 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2015, 12:07:18 pm »
I'll echo lilshawn and +1 for saving up and getting monitors with IPS panels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wheel2XInput | HDRecoil | LeaderLamps | NetLauncher | Discord | Youtube

vandale

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 06, 2024, 06:15:03 am
  • Id 10 and t error
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2015, 04:25:29 pm »

We have DVI workstations to DVI TV panels and the audio works across the DVI interface. And yes I know the difference :)

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2015, 05:59:22 pm »
DVI is kind of like scart... it's really a bunch of different formats on one connector.  If you look at those funny four pins on the one side with the metal bar separating them that is actually analog vga/rgb. 

lilshawn

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:00:39 pm
  • I break stuff...then fix it...sometimes
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2015, 03:40:08 pm »

We have DVI workstations to DVI TV panels and the audio works across the DVI interface. And yes I know the difference :)

A DVI-D source can output HDMI signals including audio (e.g. ATI 3000-series and NVIDIA GTX 200-series).[9] Some multimedia displays use a DVI to HDMI adapter to input the HDMI signal with audio. Exact capabilities vary by video card specifications.

this would be card/vendor specific. kinda like those cards that include an adapter for a DB15 VGA to component RCA connections...

http://www.primecables.com/p-308813-cab-vga-component-3xrca-premium-5ft-vga-male-to-3-rca-component-video-male-cable#sku308813

same with those VGA to HDMI cables

http://www.primecables.com/p-305173-cab-vga-hdmi-6ft-hdmi-cable-to-vga-mm-6ft-wferrite-cores-gold-plated-connectors-black?gclid=CjwKEAiApYGyBRC-g_jIstuduV8SJABCEzhZg1R6UPX72iNw5kCuoLrcxgiI7JYaHIZMP2xcy2a3ihoCYw3w_wcB#sku305173

it doesn't work with anything but the cards/products designed to detect and output the modified signal.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2015, 05:04:27 pm »
Right.. and again, just like scart, if you have the right adaptor and have the signal available from something, you can pipe it in.  So if you want to do audio and your card doesn't support it, you can get a dvi cable/adaptor with an audio-in dongle and connect with your sound card via an audio cable.  The reason most people don't do that is 3.5mm audio cables are dirt cheap... they usually come with speakers and monitors and it isn't worth it to buy the costly adaptor.