Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: 4 way / 8-way switchable joysticks  (Read 2673 times)

monkeybomb

• PM me to find out how to get a custom title like mine!
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 03, 2018, 07:16:29 pm
4 way / 8-way switchable joysticks
« on: July 23, 2015, 05:37:33 pm »
I know there is a lot out there on this, but I can't find anything very recent.  Besides the classics are always fun!

I generally like the happs supers, but the 4 way isn't great and I also don't want to take apart the joystick all the time.  How is the magstick?  Are there many other options?  I don't have space on the panel for an omnistick.  Any preferences out there?  I don't know the sanwa sticks too well.

Slippyblade

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 16, 2023, 11:39:51 am
  • And to the death god we say, "Not today!"
Re: 4 way / 8-way switchable joysticks
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2015, 05:48:14 pm »
The Magstick works fine, but the throw is weird from what I've heard.  The Zippyy sticks are very inexpensive and have an easily swappable restrictor plate.  If you wanna go hi-tech, Ultimarc has the servo sticks as well.  They are motorized 4/8 switchers.  Then there is the GGG Omni stick, which is a manual, top-of-the-panel switch.

mgb

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 21, 2024, 06:18:13 pm
  • North East, US
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2015, 11:07:19 pm »
do they still have the original omni sticks?

I can't stand the look of them but they really are a nice 4 way

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 06:22:10 am
  • <insert personal text here>
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2015, 07:27:34 am »
There's the Omni2 which is a below the panel but Randy can sell you an adapter kit to automate that stick using a simple servo and controller board from pololu. 

Dawgz Rule

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 06:38:07 am
  • The more people I meet, the more I like my dogs
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2015, 05:07:54 pm »
The magstik is a nice stick.  It works really well with shmups.  If you are a hardcore fighter, it may not be the stick for you due to the short throw.

jtslade

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 24, 2024, 08:02:12 pm
  • Keep it looking originallish!
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2015, 10:23:28 pm »
It's a short throw and as you use it, it eats itself until the plastic washers make it awful.

Go paradise arcade 8way's or anyone who carries 8 ways then make a 4 way only cab..

If you try to make everything work you get mediocre everything instead of one set great

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ms. Pacman Original Cocktail with Non destructive mod to Groovy Arcade Linux with All 4way Vertical Cocktail capable 2 button or less games.

Neo Geo MVS Mame Cab Running Hyperspin, 25" Nanao Arcade Monitor, Mini-pac, ATI Radeon HD 4850 (ATOM-15), IL 8 Way Euro-Sticks from Paradise Arcade, Win XP 64bit, and tons of other junk.

FinalFury

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 09, 2015, 09:04:29 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2015, 12:24:57 am »
Sanwa JLFs can switch between 4 way and 8 way by rotating the insert of the restrictor gate, assuming the gate is the standard square shape.  Popping off the restrictor gate and rotating the insert is pretty easy, and you can even swap the inserts for octagons or circles.  Here's a video by shoryuken.com user nerrage.

Note: The Silent JLFs have a one-piece blue restrictor plate, meaning there is no removable or rotatable insert.  Keep this in mind, and know that you'll need to buy a seperate regular JLF restrictor if you want the Silent JLF.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2015, 12:29:34 am by FinalFury »

Battleship

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 11, 2017, 09:52:12 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2017, 08:59:37 am »
I know it's an older post but is that adapter kit from Randy still available? I didn't see it on the website...

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 06:22:10 am
  • <insert personal text here>
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2017, 10:32:49 am »
It should be available but it's a special production item. You'd need to email him about it. I have a DIY thread about it somewhere, you have to add your own control board (the micro maestro is easy) and write some some switching scripts but it's all pretty straightforward

lovespicyfood

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 03, 2019, 12:37:08 am
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2017, 01:27:04 pm »
ServoStik for the win!  I was in this predicament and contemplated/researched options for quite some time to add switching capability to my Dream Arcade that I had purchased on Craigslist.

It's great as my setup is in Launchbox using Mame and I have it automatically switch when a 4 way game is selected.  Couldn't be happier with this setup!

leapinlew

• Some questionable things going on in this room with cheetos
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 17, 2024, 07:51:43 pm
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2017, 01:55:10 pm »
I've traveled down this road. My progression went something like this:

• At first I had an X-arcade and initially I thought, how bad can a 8 way be for a 4 way game? I thought it was just personal preference and that the community was just full of annoying purists. After trying to play several 4 way games with a 8 way stick and dying due to the diagonals, I realized I needed the ability to go with a 4 way stick. I bought some magsticks.
  • Next up was a ipac2 and magsticks. The throw on the magstick was super short and ultimately that killed the stick for me. While using it, I also noticed it was hard to tell if you were in 4 way or 8 way, so I would try to change the stick. Also, guests had no idea how to change the stick or if the game was a 4 way or 8 way
  • Next up, I went with a dedicated 4 way cabinet with a vertical oriented monitor. This was the ultimate solution to me. I used a super joystick with a diamond restrictor plate that GGG sells. It worked well enough, but the feel was just slightly off. I bought a ball top for it from Tornado Terry, but I think what did the Super in for me was the size of the balltop and microswitches
  • Lastly, I ended up with a NIB Wico 4 way leaf stick and it feels perfect on a dedicated cabinet.

Of course, your mileage may vary, but for me, it was about getting a joystick that works for a majority of the games I want to play and a feel I like. Playing Donkey Kong with a Wico 4 way isn't authentic, but I don't like the nintendo 4 ways, so it makes the game more enjoyable to me.