Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: 4-Player X-Men Restoration/Conversion  (Read 3029 times)

MK3FAN

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 09, 2022, 07:07:29 pm
4-Player X-Men Restoration/Conversion
« on: May 15, 2015, 06:48:10 pm »
I was waiting to post this project until it was complete. Just finished it up tonight. Here is a detailed account of my recent X-Men resto/conversion. The cabinet was originally a TMNT that was converted to an NBA Jam Extreme. I already have a TMNT and a Simpsons, so I wanted to add an X-Men to the collection as well. The cabinet was in rough shape but wasn't too far gone. It took a lot of work and some TLC to get it looking great again. I picked it up on the cheap so it was worth the effort.

Several months ago, I designed some repro side art based off the 6-player machine's art because (at the time) there was no source for repro 4-player X-Men side art. Rich over at ThisOldGame just released original repro 4-player art but I already had my version printed out, so I went with mine. It's not a big deal to me. Kind of makes mine more unique.

I completely cleaned the cabinet inside and out, stripped and sanded it down, and applied the art. I installed all new sticks, buttons, power supply, marquee light, new Lexan for the control panel, new CPO, new marquee, new t-molding, new locks/coin door parts, and some custom credit momentary push buttons just below the coin slots to match my other two machines. I had to use one of my spare monitors because the cabinet came without one. It's a 25" Neotec that's been freshly capped and has a new flyback. It's looking great. I also had to fabricate new P3 and P4 harnesses/connectors because the NBA Jam wiring was different and not complete in the cabinet.

Now here's the bad part of the story.

I needed a PCB, of course. After nearly a month and a half, one finally arrived today. I bought and paid for 2 PCBs from two different people and they never showed up. The sellers never responded to messages and I got ripped off twice. I found another seller offering a PCB at a good price, I paid for it and it ended up not being available. The seller admitted he made a mistake and I DID receive a refund for that one.

So at that point, I was 0-3 on boards.

I got lucky and found a guy across the pond who had one for sale (a bit pricey) but the audio chip had been re-capped and the board was fully working. It arrived today, I tested it and it worked great. Got it installed in the machine and the project is now complete....finally. Here are all the  pics. Thanks for looking...

« Last Edit: May 15, 2015, 06:54:18 pm by MK3FAN »
Current collection - 28 cabs, 4 pins. (32 machines and not enough room)

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Trade Count: (+58)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 18, 2024, 03:07:49 pm
  • Have you played with my GingerBalls?
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,142404.msg1475162.html
Re: 4-Player X-Men Restoration/Conversion
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2015, 07:52:02 pm »
been following over at KLOV, glad you finally landed a board!  :cheers:
If you're replying to a troll you are part of the problem.
I also need to follow this advice. Ignore or report, don't reply.

MK3FAN

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2015, 07:58:44 pm »
been following over at KLOV, glad you finally landed a board!  :cheers:

Yup. Thanks.

bfauska

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 06, 2024, 02:41:27 pm
  • "You're not wrong Walter, you're just an @##hole!"
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2015, 01:37:35 am »
That's a big improvement in the before/afters. Good work.

Cobolisdead

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 04, 2017, 08:35:11 am
  • Restoring my 8th arcade machine, Mortal Kombat 2!
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2015, 12:25:29 pm »
Great job man! That is one impressive arcade that you have there!

MK3FAN

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2015, 01:34:18 pm »
Thanks guys!