Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Which front end for a driving cab?  (Read 7984 times)

scoodidabop

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 13, 2024, 06:55:00 pm
Which front end for a driving cab?
« on: March 17, 2015, 08:35:47 am »
Hey guys! I recently acquired a knackerd-up Daytona cabinet that I'll be converting into a MAME/Model 2&3/PC racing cabinet and I'm wondering what you guys are using for a front end.  I'm an experienced Hyperspin user but thinking it would be nice if gameex or Mala allows for a single list for all games, as opposed to Hyperspin with will require some additional navigation for selecting different emulators. 

BadMouth

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 13, 2024, 01:06:22 pm
Re: Which front end for a driving cab?
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2015, 08:54:39 am »
I'm using Mala with SGT's all in one list workaround: http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,68419.0.html

You basically point Mala to a batch file instead of MAME.  Mala passes the path and rom name onto the batch file and the batch file posts the appropriate command line based on the path the rom was found in.  The bonus of doing it this way is that Mala still pulls the info from mame.xml and pics from the MAME folders.
Everything just shows up as a MAME game.
There are a few snags that people usually hit the first time around, but once you wrap your head around what's going on, it's really easy to accomplish whatever you want.
The main ones I remember are that you have to manually type in the path to mame.cmd because mala won't let you select the .cmd file by browsing.
The other has something to do with showing/hiding working games or parents/clones.
IIIRC you have to show the non-working games even if you've changed the status in the xml to working.  It's been a while, so that might not be it exactly.
Always refresh the main gamelist in Mala after making changes to mame.xml

I believe people have worked out a way to do the same thing with Hyperspin.
Some people have run Hyperspin in pinball mode and swapped in a steering wheel in place of the wigging joystick.

Howard wrote a front-end called Checkered Flag specifically for driving cabs, but I never took the time to test it out.
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,141041.msg1459529.html#msg1459529

Fursphere

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 01:12:40 am
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2015, 09:59:26 pm »
I personally use HyperSpin, but its a lot of work to setup.

Mostly because you need to either

1) Manually create your game list
2) Hack down the HUGE game lists to only have the games you want

Both are daunting tasks. 

It never dawned on me to use HyperPIN for a Driving Cab...  I may have to explore that. 

scoodidabop

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2015, 02:52:03 pm »
I don't mind hacking down xml files to get my games list right.  I already have a really nice slimmed down MAME game list with a good 'Driving' genre setup so that would be fairly simple.  It just seems like scrolling through the different emulators first before finding the game you want will be a bit of a chore. 

That Mala thing looks good but creating all those bat files deters me from that approach. 

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2015, 04:16:04 pm »
That Mala thing looks good but creating all those bat files deters me from that approach.

meh, it's one big batch file with a different section for each emulator.
I can post mine from my old driving cab, but it might be Sunday evening before I find the time.

Sticking only with arcade games, and only games that play well on your cab, you'll probably only end up with 50-70 games total.
IIRC, I had 65 spread out over 6 or 7 different emulators.  It  would suck to have to switch to a different gamelist depending on emulator.

Here is an earlier version of the one for my regular cab:
Code: [Select]
if "%2" == "C:\Emulators\other_emus\pc" goto pc
if "%2" == "C:\Emulators\other_emus\cavesh3" goto cavesh3
if "%2" == "C:\Emulators\other_emus\daphne" goto daphne
if "%2" == "C:\Emulators\other_emus\m2" goto m2
if "%2" == "C:\Emulators\other_emus\m3" goto m3
if "%2" == "C:\Emulators\other_emus\atomiswave" goto atomiswave
if "%2" == "C:\Emulators\other_emus\naomi" goto naomi
if "%2" == "C:\Emulators\other_emus\Makaron" goto Makaron
if "%2" == "C:\Emulators\other_emus\Makaron2" goto Makaron2
if "%2" == "C:\Emulators\other_emus\taitox" goto taitox

mame64.exe %1

:pc
cd \Emulators\other_emus\pc_games
%1.lnk
exit

:cavesh3
cd C:\Emulators\cavemame
mame64.exe %1
exit

:daphne                 
SET DAPHNE=C:\Emulators\Daphne\daphne.exe
cd ..\daphne
if "%1" == "astron" start/wait %daphne% astron vldp -framefile C:\Emulators\Daphne\framefile\astron.txt -fullscreen -blank_skips -blank_searches -preset 1
if "%1" == "badland" start/wait %daphne% badlands vldp -framefile C:\Emulators\Daphne\framefile\badlands.txt -fullscreen -blank_skips -blank_searches -preset 1
if "%1" == "begas" start/wait %daphne% bega vldp -framefile C:\Emulators\Daphne\framefile\bega.txt -fullscreen -blank_skips -blank_searches -preset 1
if "%1" == "cliffhgr" start/wait %daphne% cliff vldp -framefile C:\Emulators\Daphne\framefile\cliff.txt -fullscreen -blank_skips -blank_searches -preset 1
if "%1" == "cobram3" start/wait %daphne% cobra vldp -framefile C:\Emulators\Daphne\framefile\cobra.txt -fullscreen -blank_skips -blank_searches -preset 1
if "%1" == "dlair" start/wait %daphne% lair vldp -framefile C:\Emulators\Daphne\framefile\lair.txt -fullscreen -blank_skips -blank_searches -preset 1
if "%1" == "esh" start/wait %daphne% esh vldp -framefile C:\Emulators\Daphne\framefile\esh.txt -fullscreen -blank_skips -blank_searches -preset 1
if "%1" == "galaxyr" start/wait %daphne% galaxy vldp -framefile C:\Emulators\Daphne\framefile\galaxy.txt -fullscreen -blank_skips -blank_searches -preset 1
if "%1" == "istellar" start/wait %daphne% interstellar vldp -framefile C:\Emulators\Daphne\framefile\interstellar.txt -fullscreen -blank_skips -blank_searches -preset 1
if "%1" == "lair2" start/wait %daphne% lair2 vldp -framefile C:\Emulators\Daphne\framefile\lair2.txt -fullscreen -blank_skips -blank_searches -preset 1
if "%1" == "mach3" start/wait %daphne% mach3 vldp -framefile C:\Emulators\Daphne\framefile\mach3.txt -fullscreen -blank_skips -blank_searches -preset 1
if "%1" == "rblaster" start/wait %daphne% roadblaster vldp -framefile C:\Emulators\Daphne\framefile\rb.txt -fullscreen -blank_skips -blank_searches -preset 1
if "%1" == "sblazerp" start/wait %daphne% blazer vldp -framefile C:\Emulators\Daphne\framefile\blazer.txt -fullscreen -blank_skips -blank_searches -preset 1
if "%1" == "spaceace" start/wait %daphne% ace vldp -framefile C:\Emulators\Daphne\framefile\ace.txt -fullscreen -blank_skips -blank_searches -preset 1
if "%1" == "superdq" start/wait %daphne% sdq vldp -framefile C:\Emulators\Daphne\framefile\sdq.txt -fullscreen -blank_skips -blank_searches -preset 1
if "%1" == "usvsthem" start/wait %daphne% uvt vldp -framefile C:\Emulators\Daphne\framefile\uvt.txt -fullscreen -blank_skips -blank_searches -preset 1
if "%1" == "gpworld" start/wait %daphne% gpworld vldp -framefile C:\Emulators\Daphne\framefile\gpworld.txt -fullscreen -blank_skips -blank_searches -preset 1

exit

:m2
cd \Emulators\model2
closemul.exe emulator_multicpu.exe zip %1
exit

:m3
cd \Emulators\supermodel
supermodel.exe %1.zip -res=1024,768 -fullscreen
exit

:atomiswave

cd \Emulators\demul057
start nomousy.exe /hide
closemul.exe demul.exe -run=atomiswave -rom=%1
nomousy.exe
exit

:naomi

cd \Emulators\demul057
start nomousy.exe /hide
closemul.exe demul.exe -run=naomi -rom=%1
nomousy.exe
exit

:Makaron

cd \Emulators\Makaron
closemul.exe NAOMI.exe %1.zip
exit

:Makaron2

cd \Emulators\Makaron
closemul.exe NAOMI.exe %1.dat
exit

:taitox
cd \Emulators\other_emus\taitox
%1.lnk
exit

I may have uploaded my files to the google drive that was set up for BYOAC driving stuff.
If so, I'll post it sooner.

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2015, 04:36:47 pm »
Oh....and nobody use's Mala's default layout beyond getting it set up the first time.
The whole point is to use the layout editor to make a layout that is one of a kind.
It's just stuff stuck on top of a static picture you created in photoshop or elsewhere.

Here is the last driving themed one I made (the only thing that changes is the video/snap, and the gamelist name above it...of course the gamelist scrolls):

I've always wanted to try a Hyperspin setup similar to this, but can't imagine having the time anytime soon.
(would definitely get rid of the wheel popping up and down and the flashing press start signs)

« Last Edit: March 18, 2015, 07:06:46 pm by BadMouth »

vandale

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 06, 2024, 06:15:03 am
  • Id 10 and t error
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2015, 01:49:38 am »

I've always wanted to try a Hyperspin setup similar to this, but can't imagine having the time anytime soon.
(would definitely get rid of the wheel popping up and down and the flashing press start signs)

I have a full driving hyperspin setup if you want me to zip and mega it, you will only have to change the .exe mapping and add the roms. Is basically a Model 1, 2 and 3 plus demul and mame however mame is only the top 20 cabinet drivers.

Cheers

Boomslang

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 01, 2024, 08:20:43 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2015, 02:16:35 am »
that would be awesome if you can vandale

scoodidabop

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2015, 07:57:47 am »

I have a full driving hyperspin setup if you want me to zip and mega it, you will only have to change the .exe mapping and add the roms. Is basically a Model 1, 2 and 3 plus demul and mame however mame is only the top 20 cabinet drivers.

Cheers

Is it all in one menu or do you still have wheel selection on the various emulators?

ant2

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 02, 2024, 07:05:47 am
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2015, 06:46:57 pm »
I run hyperspin on my racing cabinets and gameex on my stand up.

I use multiple wheels, one per system otherwise the game list is too long :)

Search for mamerigs on youtube. The videos are a bit old and were recorded on an old digital camera but you will get the idea :)

mkmk4

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 07, 2015, 11:55:51 pm
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2015, 03:06:45 pm »
Oh....and nobody use's Mala's default layout beyond getting it set up the first time.
The whole point is to use the layout editor to make a layout that is one of a kind.
It's just stuff stuck on top of a static picture you created in photoshop or elsewhere.

Here is the last driving themed one I made (the only thing that changes is the video/snap, and the gamelist name above it...of course the gamelist scrolls):

I really like the way that frontend looks! nice and simple. Would love to see the cabinet that goes along with it.

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2015, 05:34:58 pm »
I really like the way that frontend looks! nice and simple. Would love to see the cabinet that goes along with it.

lol, well I destroyed my old cab (linked in my sig).  The FE never looked quite right on the CRT because the red text was hard to read on it.
The new cab which is in limbo until I finish remodeling the house I just bought will be widescreen LCD (hopefully triple), so it won't work on that either.

Fursphere

• Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2015, 08:13:08 pm »

lol, well I destroyed my old cab (linked in my sig).  The FE never looked quite right on the CRT because the red text was hard to read on it.
The new cab which is in limbo until I finish remodeling the house I just bought will be widescreen LCD (hopefully triple), so it won't work on that either.

I think when you go triple screen it stops being an arcade and starts being a simpit.   ;)

Unless you get that Ferrari game working in triple screen mode.   ;D

DudeRegular

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 23, 2024, 10:50:27 pm
  • I have no idea what I am doing
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2015, 09:31:21 pm »

Cheers

thread resurrection.. sorry. Vandale, did you ever happen to post this? Looking to start putting things together for a possible driving build. Thanks

turncoat

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 21, 2016, 10:25:18 am
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2015, 10:46:46 am »
Hi,
Signed up to jump on this thread too.
I have spent the best part of a week pulling hair out over how to set up my new stand up driving cab.
Hyperspin was pretty confusing and labour intensive about 3 years ago when I left it.

Going back there last week is a real eye opener. It's now a massive unwieldy multi application with infinite hurdles :( I feel bad for anyone that tries to approach that thing from scratch today.

I found 'Checkered Flag' and it seems nice but a little limited. For the moment I am using an old P4 2ghz so I don't need too many bells and whistles.

Please let me take a look at  this chopped down version if you share it vandale.

what are others using for their Driving cab front ends?

baritonomarchetto

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 02:17:55 am
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2015, 12:53:15 am »
I am using FEEL on my racing rig. Before that i used AdvanceMenu. Both are light and customizable to your needs.

turncoat

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 21, 2016, 10:25:18 am
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2015, 10:35:44 am »
Hey, thanks for the reply, I haven't seen either of those.
I'll give them a look.
 :)

ant2

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 02, 2024, 07:05:47 am
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2015, 04:53:17 pm »
I could never even count the wasted hours on hyperspin.
For example One day the joystick didn't work under hyperspin. It would be irratic, yet it worked previously prior to an update.

The forums simply stated that joysticks don't work properly, use joy to key etc. But that caused more issues as you couldn't shut it off after the fame was launched.  I ended up writing ahk scripts that converted the joystick to keyboard movements and only did that if hyperspin was in focus. All that researching, rolling back versions, testing. Easily 15+ hours.

I never update the versions now and launch stuff via bat files if the emulator isn't supported. Then backed it up many many times so i never have to do it again! :)

But it does look pretty!

Fursphere

• Offline Offline
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2015, 12:11:57 am »
You have to make profiles in Joy2Key....

one for hyperspin.exe to do what you need.

then one per (emulator).exe that maps to a BLANK profile. 

stupid, I know.  but it works great....