Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: How much of any of this is our individual IP?  (Read 11846 times)

saint

• turned to the Dark Side
  • Supreme Chancellor
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 01, 2024, 07:20:35 pm
  • I only work in cyberspace...
    • Build Your Own Arcade Controls
Re: How much of any of this is our individual IP?
« Reply #40 on: February 19, 2015, 07:10:54 am »
    But... OND,  Credit where credit is due, Your build, ideas and designs are the cornerstone of this community.

http://arcadecontrols.com/arcade_welcome2.html
--- John St.Clair
     Build Your Own Arcade Controls FAQ
     http://www.arcadecontrols.com/
     Project Arcade 2!
     http://www.projectarcade2.com/
     saint@arcadecontrols.com

Rick

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 09, 2023, 01:16:55 pm
  • Bartop, Cocktail and Pinball Arcade Cabinets
    • Gameroom Designs Canada
« Reply #41 on: February 19, 2015, 07:42:43 am »
    But... OND,  Credit where credit is due, Your build, ideas and designs are the cornerstone of this community.

OMG. Jennifer broke Saint! We love you, Saint!

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 02:18:37 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #42 on: February 19, 2015, 08:12:18 am »

Saint is da best!
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

Dawgz Rule

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 06:26:38 am
  • The more people I meet, the more I like my dogs
« Reply #43 on: February 19, 2015, 08:31:48 am »
Rick, this is 100% incorrect.  I recently took a position at a research institution and was required to take a mandatory course on IP, Copyrights, Patents, etc.  Slight modification of an existing product was specifically given as an example that does not constitute a new and unique product.  This is particularly true when a slight aesthetic change is made but the functionality is identical.  The product needs to be sufficiently different to be considered a unique product that can be offered protections.

I wouldn't say 100% incorrect - I've discussed this previously with a friend who has years of experience working in Trademark Law, and this is what I understand. Maybe this is only in Canada?

Also, if I'm correct in what I read in this article from this website, which is calling out IP law in Canada, it may help to flesh out this a bit better: http://zvulony.ca/2010/articles/intellectual-property-law/understanding-intellectual-property-law/

I will say that we may be discussing Copyright or Trademark Law rather than IP Law.

Rick,  Typically IP is protected by patents, copyrights, trademarks, etc.  I say typically because there is common law IP but is very difficult to prove or enforce without the other protections.  Additionally, IP has to tie back to some sort of benefit.  This is typically financial in nature but can also be recognition.    Last, just because I have an idea or create something, it doesn't necessarily mean it is my IP.  For example, I often build things for my wife out of wood.  None of those would be considered IP.  On the other hand, if the device is something that I decide to sell, market, (receive benefit),  I could file for a patent and be protected.  That device would then be considered my intellectual property.    Now, if you take my device and modify it slightly (different color, slight shape change, etc.), but otherwise leave the functionality or how it operates intact, you would be violating my patent.   

To tie this back to your products....Do your products constitute IP that have protections?  Perhaps.    You can certainly file for a patent, but you would need to have prove that it is distinguishing and unique to get such a patent.  That is why I can't patent a table and say that anyone that creates a flat top with four legs violates my patent.    That being said, suppose your products are have a unique method of construction.  If that were the case, you could make the argument for a patent and claim it as IP.     That isn't to say that I can't make a competing product, provided I do not duplicate your patented construction technique.   Similarly, if your product has a unique shape that distinguishes it (coke bottle, mickey mouse circles, etc.), it can also be offered protections.   (see thread regarding Howler versus Ipac Ultimate.  Andy is spot on there.)

Similarly, slight modification of a trademark can also constitute a violation.  Again, I will use the Coca-Cola example in your article.  If I were to create a unique cola and market it as Coka-Cola, with a similar appearance to the original, I would be violating their trademark.    The argument would be that the look of my product is almost indistinguishable from the original.

In regards to the forum and IP, I would see more of an argument around trademarks, if anything.  The one that comes to mind is "Vigolix".    If I were to start selling cabs that are identical to this design, and marketed them as "The Vigolix",  I could see an argument if Vigo also intended on selling the design and marketing the same.    Of course, Vigo would have to prove that the name is recognized and associated with him.  (see Q-Tips, Band-Aids, etc.).   There is a catch to that one though.    If people start producing "Vigolix" cabs in quantity and he does not put efforts forth to stop people from doing so, he forfeits all protections associated with the name. 

jennifer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 11, 2023, 06:24:58 am
« Reply #44 on: February 19, 2015, 11:56:59 am »
  Saint: Without you NONE of this would have been possible, That would have gone without saying... However, upon rereading that FAQ I have a couple disturbing thoughts, First Dave, Shadow, and Decosta Were instrumental to the conception (I was not aware of that), And worse, Jennifer came here with those goals in mind, But somewhere along the line morphed into OEM, Effectively  compromising her position here at the Byoac.

Rick

• Offline Offline
« Reply #45 on: February 19, 2015, 12:17:15 pm »
In regards to the forum and IP, I would see more of an argument around trademarks, if anything. The one that comes to mind is "Vigolix". If I were to start selling cabs that are identical to this design, and marketed them as "The Vigolix", I could see an argument if Vigo also intended on selling the design and marketing the same. Of course, Vigo would have to prove that the name is recognized and associated with him.  (see Q-Tips, Band-Aids, etc.).   There is a catch to that one though. If people start producing "Vigolix" cabs in quantity and he does not put efforts forth to stop people from doing so, he forfeits all protections associated with the name.

I think you're right, in the fact that we're probably speaking more of trademarks than of IP. From what I recall of conversations with my Son's mother (who practices Trademark Law) this seems more in line with what we should be discussing.

I don't think I have any specific IP regarding my manufacturing processes, but rather, would protect my designs via trademarks.

saint

• Supreme Chancellor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #46 on: February 19, 2015, 03:47:07 pm »
  Saint: Without you NONE of this would have been possible, That would have gone without saying... However, upon rereading that FAQ I have a couple disturbing thoughts, First Dave, Shadow, and Decosta Were instrumental to the conception (I was not aware of that), And worse, Jennifer came here with those goals in mind, But somewhere along the line morphed into OEM, Effectively  compromising her position here at the Byoac.

Heh. Someone else would have done it if I hadn't. I just wanted those guys to get their due credit, they're what inspired me to start the site. OND is da bomb, I wish I had 1/10 of his talent.
--- John St.Clair
     Project Arcade 2!
     saint@arcadecontrols.com

Rick

• Offline Offline
« Reply #47 on: February 19, 2015, 03:52:54 pm »
OND is da bomb, I wish I had 1/10 of his talent.

Don't be so hard on yourself. You definitely have 1/10 of Ond's talent.

;)

saint

• Supreme Chancellor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #48 on: February 20, 2015, 10:51:55 am »
OND is da bomb, I wish I had 1/10 of his talent.

Don't be so hard on yourself. You definitely have 1/10 of Ond's talent.

;)

Heh
--- John St.Clair
     Project Arcade 2!
     saint@arcadecontrols.com

ark_ader

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 02, 2019, 07:35:34 pm
  • I glow in the dark.
« Reply #49 on: February 22, 2015, 05:28:51 am »
What is on Saint's site is technically his to do with as he pleases.  Maybe enough for book 2?
If I had only one wish, it would be for three more wishes.

Vigo

• the Scourage of Carpathia
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 21, 2024, 08:20:28 am
« Reply #50 on: February 22, 2015, 03:40:07 pm »
Book 3.  ;)

And it doesn't work that way, sorry. Ideas written down don't automatically belong to the person who owns the paper. That one was settled many years ago.

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Trade Count: (+58)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 07:41:50 am
  • Have you played with my GingerBalls?
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,142404.msg1475162.html
« Reply #51 on: February 24, 2015, 02:06:36 pm »
I kind of invented Malenko mounts for LCDs.  That count as my IP?

other bartop makers have used the idea after that, and Im ok with it.I prefer to be given credit, but it doesnt bother me if they dont  :dunno
« Last Edit: February 24, 2015, 02:10:39 pm by Malenko »
If you're replying to a troll you are part of the problem.
I also need to follow this advice. Ignore or report, don't reply.

Rick

• Offline Offline
« Reply #52 on: February 25, 2015, 05:40:08 am »
I kind of invented Malenko mounts for LCDs.  That count as my IP?

You may have invented them, but I named them that. Do I get royalties whenever people use that name, or do you need me to send you a C&D?

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Trade Count: (+58)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 07:41:50 am
  • Have you played with my GingerBalls?
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,142404.msg1475162.html
« Reply #53 on: February 25, 2015, 07:37:13 am »

You may have invented them, but I named them that. Do I get royalties whenever people use that name, or do you need me to send you a C&D?

No, I named them like 30 seconds after I showed the design to Haruman, I have Gchat logs!!!!!!

Also, wtf is emoji38?
If you're replying to a troll you are part of the problem.
I also need to follow this advice. Ignore or report, don't reply.

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 21, 2024, 04:55:07 pm
  • <insert personal text here>
« Reply #54 on: February 25, 2015, 07:44:15 am »
After careful analysis I have in point of fact determined how much of this is our individual IP.  The answer, surprisingly unsurprisingly is 42%. 

Rick

• Offline Offline
« Reply #55 on: February 25, 2015, 08:02:43 am »
No, I named them like 30 seconds after I showed the design to Haruman, I have Gchat logs!!!!!!

Also, wtf is emoji38?

LOL. See you in court! (And thanks Tapatalk for screwing up a simple winkie.)