Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: The new guy at work  (Read 1382 times)

jdbailey1206

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 11, 2023, 01:32:56 pm
  • No. It's your top score on Pole Position.
The new guy at work
« on: February 11, 2015, 11:37:50 am »
Don't you guys love it when a new guy is hired into where you work but no one can tell you exactly what he does.  We got a guy like this at the beginning of the year and his job title is Project Director - Operations.  And the funny thing is he's telling our guys in the field he is there to run the office but he is telling us in the office he is there to run the field operations.  And I think the boss just hired him to give him a job.  I feel like I'm in the middle of Office Space.  Gotta love change. 
« Last Edit: February 11, 2015, 11:39:36 am by jdbailey1206 »

jennifer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 11, 2023, 06:24:58 am
Re: The new guy at work
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2015, 12:20:36 pm »
    You should tell him Jennifer needs  2 giant boxes of paper brought to the copy room. >:D (Giggle, Snort).
« Last Edit: February 11, 2015, 12:23:59 pm by jennifer »

jennifer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2015, 12:29:07 pm »
   OH, Oh..... Tell him he"s been selected for random drug testing after lunch, go report to Bobs office.

Vigo

• the Scourage of Carpathia
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 21, 2024, 08:20:28 am
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2015, 12:29:49 pm »
We got about a half dozen of those people. They are "directors", yet don't have a single employee or program under them. ---steaming pile of meadow muffin--- seems to spew from their mouths.

"So what do you do?"

"I'm the Director of Insight and Strategy"

"Soooo.....what does that entail?"

"Preparing the company to be positioned for it's future image"

"How do you do that?"

"By maintaining both an introspective and outward vision of the company's opportunities. It is both very technical and prodigiously inferential."

"Glad you can do that on schedule of 3 days a week with 5 hour days. Enjoy your round of golf this afternoon."

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 06, 2024, 02:16:34 pm
  • <insert personal text here>
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2015, 12:32:08 pm »
    You should tell him Jennifer needs  2 giant boxes of paper brought to the copy room. >:D (Giggle, Snort).

Generic Eric

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 05, 2024, 09:02:23 am
  • Restore! Don't maim for MAME, build from scratch!
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,143226.0.html
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2015, 12:41:09 pm »
I think the boss just hired him to give him a job.  I feel like I'm in the middle of Office Space.  Gotta love change.
You are being restructured.  Trust no one. 

jennifer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2015, 12:52:00 pm »
I think the boss just hired him to give him a job.  I feel like I'm in the middle of Office Space.  Gotta love change.
You are being restructured.  Trust no one.
I am actually frightened, I feel as if Jenn should put on her giant sunglasses and hide in the ladies room awhile.

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 08:46:53 am
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2015, 12:58:06 pm »
I don't know... I got hired into a weird situation once.  Seemed very straight forward on paper and in the interviews, I showed up and there was nothing to do.  Turned out they had an employee they wanted snooped on but she figured it out pretty quick and threw up the walls (and started disappearing for days at a time).  When it came time to involve HR, they immediately circled the wagons and how dare I suggest I had been misled. 

I'm thankful I saw it coming and had already been planning my exit but the whole experience was surreal.  Took me months to wrap my head around it, I imagine they have no idea how financially devastating that endeavor turned out to be, and they're still regularly stalking me on LinkedIn.

So sometimes it's not ALWAYS the clown they hired.

:dunno

Vigo

• the Scourage of Carpathia
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 21, 2024, 08:20:28 am
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2015, 01:06:56 pm »

So sometimes it's not ALWAYS the clown they hired.

:dunno

Yep, someone had to hire them for SOME reason. In my office I think it is the big bosses trying to build an empire. The people hired are just trying to sound relevant to keep their job sharpening pencils.

jdbailey1206

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 11, 2023, 01:32:56 pm
  • No. It's your top score on Pole Position.
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2015, 01:22:04 pm »
I 99% sure that he was hired to be in control of the Project Managers.  (That is what I do.)  But like usual that was found out by asking others what is going on.  If you come into a new job I would think it would be smart, if it was me, to introduce myself to who I am managing and kind give a run down of what I want to accomplish.  A meet and greet if you will.  Not just come in and start working and expect everyone to know why I am there.  I know RAH! RAH! meetings are usually redundant but sometimes they are relevant.

I also think he was hired so the owner could step back and relinquish some of what he needs to be done to this guy.  So instead of the owner reporting to four guys he just has to get info from one.  Which is smart.  But let everyone know.  But like usual it turns into "You should have known.  You are stupid for not knowing" situation.  Love my job.   :P

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 01:59:06 am
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2015, 01:23:33 pm »
I 99% sure that he was hired to be in control of the Project Managers.  (That is what I do.)  But like usual that was found out by asking others what is going on.  If you come into a new job I would think it would be smart, if it was me, to introduce myself to who I am managing and kind give a run down of what I want to accomplish.  A meet and greet if you will.  Not just come in and start working and expect everyone to know why I am there.  I know RAH! RAH! meetings are usually redundant but sometimes they are relevant.

I also think he was hired so the owner could step back and relinquish some of what he needs to be done to this guy.  So instead of the owner reporting to four guys he just has to get info from one.  Which is smart.  But let everyone know.  But like usual it turns into "You should have known.  You are stupid for not knowing" situation.  Love my job.   :P

Find out who he's related to.  :cheers:
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

BadMouth

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 13, 2024, 01:06:22 pm
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2015, 02:34:27 pm »
This makes me tempted to just walk into a place and pretend to be 2 levels higher than everyone I cross paths with.
Where I work is too small to pull this off.

I used to work for a company with a German parent company.  Word was that it was very hard to be promoted past someone with more seniority over there.
So whoever they wanted to promote would be transferred to the U.S. for a while, promoted to a higher position, them moved back to Germany at the higher position.
Some of them were good.  A lot of them were just killing time and didn't care about anything here.