Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up --- Bug Reports --- Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Gil's No Name Mame Cabinet  (Read 21315 times)

Gilrock

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 30, 2020, 04:26:38 pm
Re: Gil's No Name Mame Cabinet
« Reply #160 on: February 08, 2019, 08:41:09 am »
So I'm assuming I cannot get the nice far right image with the TV I found.  If I figure out how to get RGB directly off this Magnavox would it be closest to the RGB over YUV image which was 2nd best?

Arroyo

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 01:06:07 am
  • Budgets are boring
    • newforum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,156267.0.html
« Reply #161 on: February 08, 2019, 08:41:58 am »
So I'm assuming I cannot get the nice far right image with the TV I found.  If I figure out how to get RGB directly off this Magnavox would it be closest to the RGB over YUV image which was 2nd best?

See my edit on previous post.  Arcade games didnít use PVMís just good old standard CRTís with RGB connections.  And if you modded the TV to accept the RGB signal directly youíd get exactly that.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2019, 08:45:29 am by Arroyo »

Gilrock

• Offline Offline
« Reply #162 on: February 08, 2019, 08:51:49 am »
Thanks.  I just searched for Sony PVM 20 on eBay and you can tell they know who they are targeting when they have "Retro Gaming" in the description.  At those prices yeah I think I'll research how to improve this TV.

Arroyo

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 01:06:07 am
  • Budgets are boring
    • newforum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,156267.0.html
« Reply #163 on: February 08, 2019, 08:59:04 am »
Thanks.  I just searched for Sony PVM 20 on eBay and you can tell they know who they are targeting when they have "Retro Gaming" in the description.  At those prices yeah I think I'll research how to improve this TV.

Yeah, thereís clearly a lot of people that got turned onto the PVM thing and the markups are huge.  While I donít have one to compare Iíve read a lot of people that prefer standard CRTís cause the PVM scanlines can be (depending on the model) really thick, and not authentic to what we experienced in the Arcades.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2019, 10:54:46 am by Arroyo »

Zebra

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 12, 2020, 07:10:43 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #164 on: February 10, 2019, 07:19:48 pm »

Yeah, thereís clearly a lot of people that got turned onto the PVM thing and the markups are huge.  While I donít have one to compare Iíve read a lot of people that prefer standard CRTís cause the PVM scanlines can be (depending on the model) really thick, and not authentic to what we experienced in the Arcades.

I have crt arcade monitors and broadcast monitors and I like them both for different reasons. The broadcast monitors are technically excellent with great geometry, amazing contrast and sharpness. The arcade monitors look more like what I remember from the arcades but picky players notice geometry issues at the edges sometimes.

You can still buy new CRT arcade monitors and that alone makes them worth a look over some 20 year-old heavily used pro monitor. I picked up a new 27" crt tri-sync recently to keep as a spare.

Gilrock

• Offline Offline
« Reply #165 on: February 10, 2019, 07:35:13 pm »
I need it to fit a Robotron bezel so 27" might be pushing it.

Umpa

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 01:45:43 am
« Reply #166 on: April 15, 2020, 04:59:23 pm »
Is that inner frame made out of 1x4 or 1x6? I like the idea of building an inner frame. Is it sturdy?

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

Gilrock

• Offline Offline
« Reply #167 on: April 15, 2020, 11:12:50 pm »
Is that inner frame made out of 1x4 or 1x6? I like the idea of building an inner frame. Is it sturdy?

Pretty sturdy.  You really need the outer panels to tighten it up though.

Umpa

• Offline Offline
« Reply #168 on: April 16, 2020, 01:57:38 am »

Pretty sturdy.  You really need the outer panels to tighten it up though.
Thanks! Do you have a pic of the finished machine you could post?

Gilrock

• Offline Offline
« Reply #169 on: April 16, 2020, 09:42:45 am »
]Thanks! Do you have a pic of the finished machine you could post?

Nope...all progress has been posted. :)

I never decided on final artwork then I built a Robotron cabinet and now I'm building a Joust cabinet.  Its a little hard to go back to MAME once you play on original cabinets with CRTs and I pretty much just play Robotron daily.

Umpa

• Offline Offline
« Reply #170 on: April 16, 2020, 11:08:38 am »
]Thanks! Do you have a pic of the finished machine you could post?

Nope...all progress has been posted. :)

I never decided on final artwork then I built a Robotron cabinet and now I'm building a Joust cabinet.  Its a little hard to go back to MAME once you play on original cabinets with CRTs and I pretty much just play Robotron daily.
Lol understand! Thanks!