Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up --- Bug Reports --- Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Mortal Kombat - 1up the 1up  (Read 307 times)

DarakuTenshi

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 02:55:38 pm
    • Card Fighters Project
Mortal Kombat - 1up the 1up
« on: September 10, 2019, 05:47:36 pm »
It's been a while since I've made anything, so now that I'm living in a new city and got all my tools nicely organized... I figured it's about time to do something new.

I am not a big fan of the 1up Arcade cabinets, for many reasons I'm sure that many of you are not. The components are cheap, the build is cheap, they all look the same with different stickers slapped on them, no light behind the marquee, etc... But! When the Mortal Kombat cabinet came out and I got to play it, I was really wanting to buy one. That is when reality slapped me in the face and said, it's still a 1up cab. So, what I decided to do a couple weeks ago is beginning to design a cabinet in the size of the 1up cabs, but make it with the correct styling of the actual arcade cab that I'm trying to simulate.

My last cab I was going to make a 2nd "drop-in" control pane with Mortal Kombat control scheme, but I never got around to doing it. So I'm just going to build another cab. Right now, I'm waiting on the controls to all come in, along with a few other parts like the monitor and speakers. I figured I'd start sharing a little of what I'm doing with you all. I have lots of progress photos, but I'm going to hold off on posting those until closer to the end. For now, here is my 3D mockup. (I'm still working on the artwork, and I'm not sure if I will just go with the MK2 art, or something custom.

As you can see I also plan on making a custom riser for the cabinet. The difference in this build is that I'm going to be widening the control panel, ever so slightly, to accommodate easier access for two players. Also I will be running the emulation via RPi. I will end up putting a bunch of MK games on this thing.

List of Games:
Arcade - MK, MKII, MK3, UMK3, MK4 (if it can run on Pi)
SNES - MK, MKII, MK3, UMK3, (MK1 Blood Hack)
Genesis - MK, MKII, MK3, UMK3
32X - MKII
Sega CD - MK
Gameboy - MK, MKII (because why not)
Game Gear - MK, MKII (because why not)
PSX - MKT, MK4, Sub-Zero Mythologies

I may end up adding others, but as of now those are the only ones that I've thought of that would work with this control scheme.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2019, 07:57:35 pm by DarakuTenshi »
My past arcade builds - Click to enlarge and get a closer look

opt2not

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 01:07:37 pm
Re: Mortal Kombat - 1up the 1up
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2019, 05:57:12 pm »
That is why reality slapped me in the face and said, it's still a 1up cab. So, what I decided to do a couple weeks ago is beginning to design a cabinet in the size of the 1up cabs, but make it with the correct styling of the actual arcade cab that I'm trying to simulate.

:cheers:  :applaud:

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 01:44:30 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2019, 06:14:30 pm »
That is why reality slapped me in the face and said, it's still a 1up cab. So, what I decided to do a couple weeks ago is beginning to design a cabinet in the size of the 1up cabs, but make it with the correct styling of the actual arcade cab that I'm trying to simulate.

:cheers:  :applaud:

This! So much ducking this!
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

Mike A

• Online Online
  • Last login:Today at 02:36:06 pm
  • card carrying purist
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2019, 06:27:18 pm »
I like the idea, but why don't you just make it the correct size to begin with? Why make a riser?

DarakuTenshi

• Offline Offline
    • Card Fighters Project
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2019, 07:58:29 pm »
To have an excuse to show up 1up, and then it's the proper size for my son.

[edit]
Or do you mean proper size as in Arcade size? If that's the case, I had to sell my Ms. Pac when I moved into this house because I don't have the room for it... I still don't honestly know where I'm going to put this one if my wife won't let me keep it in my sons room.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2019, 08:09:09 pm by DarakuTenshi »

Mike A

• Online Online
  • Last login:Today at 02:36:06 pm
  • card carrying purist
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2019, 08:06:17 pm »
No I just wondered why it was necessary to build a riser instead of building a larger cab. Now I know. I look forward to your posts.

Arroyo

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 12:27:51 pm
  • Budgets are boring
    • newforum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,156267.0.html
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2019, 09:56:35 pm »
MK2 is still one of my all time favorite games.  Will be watching for sure.

leapinlew

• Some questionable things going on in this room with cheetos
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 07:14:09 am
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2019, 05:32:02 pm »
Very cool! I'll echo Mikes statement and suggest you build the bottom to be the correct height from the get go. I have the Arcade 1up MKII without a riser in my girls game room, they are 7 and 9 and they can still stand up at it (but the 9 year old prefers a chair). They use stools for the full size machines and it doesn't seem to bother them one way or another, but they'll eventually need a riser.

Strongly suggest using something to create a CRT effect. if possible, make it a little deeper so you can use a 17" CRT. If you aren't going with full side art, that's a shame, but perhaps use black vinyl wrap to save some time. I've built some cabs with it and it's a real time saver.

Good luck! I think it's going to be great, but surprised all these 1up haters aren't telling you how terrible the size is going to be....

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2019, 06:05:40 pm »
Look at lew trying to fish out some off-topic pollution to your build thread. Shame on you, Lew. Shame.

leapinlew

• Some questionable things going on in this room with cheetos
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 07:14:09 am
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2019, 06:18:06 pm »
Look at lew trying to fish out some off-topic pollution to your build thread. Shame on you, Lew. Shame.

Hey, that's a quality 90% post I made. There is a small sharp edge to my post but it's 100% on topic.  >:D

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2019, 06:44:01 pm »
:lol  well I'm not falling for that 10% bait.

I am with Lew on trying to fit a CRT in there, but I wouldn't adjust the depth to do so. I would look into a mirror set-up.  Have the CRT lay flat, facing upward inside the cabinet, then use a mirror to reflect the image to the front.   A lot of original cabinets did this BITD, and it helped with keeping the size manageable while supporting a CRT. 

You're probably not going to put a coin door in there, am I right?  Which gives you some real estate in the bottom of the cabinet to do a mirror set-up.

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 01:21:37 pm
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2019, 06:46:17 pm »
Mortal Kombat games are new enough that they look fine on an LCD. 
This forum needs more threads about Arcade 1Up cabinets.

DarakuTenshi

• Offline Offline
    • Card Fighters Project
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2019, 10:32:59 pm »
Very cool! I'll echo Mikes statement and suggest you build the bottom to be the correct height from the get go. I have the Arcade 1up MKII without a riser in my girls game room, they are 7 and 9 and they can still stand up at it (but the 9 year old prefers a chair). They use stools for the full size machines and it doesn't seem to bother them one way or another, but they'll eventually need a riser.

Strongly suggest using something to create a CRT effect. if possible, make it a little deeper so you can use a 17" CRT. If you aren't going with full side art, that's a shame, but perhaps use black vinyl wrap to save some time. I've built some cabs with it and it's a real time saver.

Good luck! I think it's going to be great, but surprised all these 1up haters aren't telling you how terrible the size is going to be....

It's actually way too late to make changes like that, I've already got much of the build finished. I'm just waiting for parts to come in so I can finish it. As soon as my speakers come in I can get the speaker panel and the top and back of the cabinet put together. Then when the joysticks and buttons come in I can work on some of that but will have to put it off a bit longer until I get my artwork ordered and in as well. I'm holding off on posting any progress because I want to post a lot at a time. It's been slow going as I've been working on this the past couple weeks because I have to do it little by little every time I get paid.