Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Time delay relay question  (Read 3052 times)

rawbe

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 22, 2024, 09:58:11 pm
Time delay relay question
« on: July 12, 2014, 02:45:28 pm »
I may have goofed...I bought a time delay relay for my WG K7000 monitor and after reading some posts I discovered a couple of people recommending the DC relays. I ordered an AC. Will it still work?

Thanks!

MTPPC

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 26, 2021, 02:25:46 pm
Re: Time delay relay question
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2014, 06:33:52 pm »
Insufficient information to answer question. Please ask again using proper terminology.
Pinball and Video Arcade Repair in Billings, MT USA
http://pinballmd.com/

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 03:40:55 am
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2014, 07:57:32 pm »
+1 on more details required.

Relay part number, link to relay datasheet, power requirements of monitor, and how you intend to power the relay (AC line voltage or 12v from a power supply) would be useful pieces of information.

Scott

rawbe

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2014, 10:20:10 pm »
Doh! After I posted the question I went back and edited it with more info (tap talk app) and it didn't make the post. Sorry.

I ordered an AC 110V 8P 0-60 Minutes Range Adjustable Delay Timer Time Relay AH3-3 + Base. I plan on splicing my monitor's power cord and connecting the relay and out of relay into a power surge.

The monitor input is 120vac. I have never used a relay before so any advice is appreciated!

Robbie

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2014, 03:09:55 am »
Relay part number
Nothing personal, but without a real part number (and manufacturer if possible), you are asking us to go on a fool's errand.  :bat

I translate your generic relay description, no links, and no pics as, "I'm not interested enough in finding an answer to type in the actual details or post a pic, but maybe you bitches can guess and do my homework for me."   

If that wasn't the tone you intended to convey, I look forward to helping you sort out the suitability of your relay for this application after you provide the specific detail(s)  -- listed in decreasing order of importance in my earlier post -- that we need to ensure we don't give you mistaken advice that causes an electrical fire that burns your house down.   :o

If that was the tone you intended to convey, good luck with finding someone to run that errand for you.   >:D

Scott

rawbe

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2014, 09:53:13 am »
The more info I have about the relay is:

Product Name : Time Relay w Base;Type : AH3-3;Rated Voltage : 110VAC
Time Range : 0-60 Minutes;
Number of Terminals : 8
Mount Rail Type : DIN Rail;Mount Hole Diameter : 4mm/ 0.157";Mount Hole Distance : 33mm/ 1.3"(Center to Center)
Total Size (Approx.) : 55 x 40 x 87mm/ 2.2" x 1.6" x 3.4"(L*W*H);Color : As Picture Shown
Net Weight : 164g;Package Content : 1 x Time Relay,1 x Base
Product Details
Manufacturer:AmicoManufacturer

I didn't put a link because I am without a pc this weekend and I am using my phone.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/r.html?R=RJCT0DZNH81E&C=3TG14KBDH777U&H=4XQAHRES8JDK49C6W7KKQLDP8KKA&T=C&U=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.amazon.com%2Fdp%2FB00ARBSRDY%2Fref%3Dpe_385040_30332190_TE_dp_1

Hopefully this is the correct info to find out if the relay is compatible with my monitor. I am hoping to turn all power on (pc, marquee, sound, and monitor) but have the monitor delay powering on for 30secs.

Thanks,
Robbie

rawbe

• Offline Offline

MTPPC

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 26, 2021, 02:25:46 pm
Pinball and Video Arcade Repair in Billings, MT USA
http://pinballmd.com/

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2014, 03:44:59 am »
Pretty sure that the relay you're asking about isn't the one you want to use for this application, Robbie.

* First reason is the time delay of 0-60 minutes -- not sure how small of an increment you can adjust this by, but a 0-10 or 0-30 second delay relay would be better adjustable for what you're doing.

* Second reason is no datasheet.   :dunno

It looks like a knockoff of the Omron H3Y-2 series relays that you *might* be able to wire like the left half of the diagram below (120v AC connected to the coil instead of 12v/ground) -- assuming that your monitor draws less than 5 Amps (?) and you adapt the pinout to match your relay and base.

I'd feel comfortable working out the specs on it and how to wire it up for proper operation if I was there to help you in person, but trying to do this via forum posts isn't very safe IMHO.

Rablack97 used a 12v Omron H3Y-2 0-10 second delay relay for one of his XBox bartops here.

The wiring diagram for the relay/base he used in that thread is attached below.

Scott
« Last Edit: July 14, 2014, 04:17:09 am by PL1 »

rawbe

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2014, 10:19:20 am »
Thanks guys for the advice!

rawbe

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2014, 10:54:40 am »
I ended up getting the relay MTPPC suggested. Any advice how to hook the relay into my monitor. It has 8 different settings but I just want a delayed power on. Here is the info:

User can select from below eight functions, by using the key buttons onboard.

User can select and save the set parameters. The set time is 1 second at minimum, and precision is better than 0.1 second. The eight functions are as follows:

1.Close upon the set time: after power one, the delay time T1 reaches, and the relay closes. T1 is adjustable between 0 second to 270 hours. When we feed CH1 a high level pulse signal, the cycle repeats itself (the high level time lasts longer or equal to 20ms. Same applies to below).

2.Disconnect upon the set time: when the relay closes, the delay time T1 reaches, and the relay opens. T1 is adjustable between 0 second to 270 hours. When we feed CH1 a high level pulse signal, the cycle repeats itself.

3.Cycle Mode 1: after power on, the relay does not close at first. When T1 reaches, the relay closes. When T2 reaches, the relay opens. And the cycle goes on. T1 and T2 adjustable between 0 second to 270 hours. When we feed CH1 a high level pulse signal, the cycle repeats itself.

4.Cycle Mode 2: after power on, the relay immediately closes. When T1 reaches, relay opens; when T2 reaches, the relay closes again, and the cycle goes on. When we feed CH1 a high level pulse signal, the cycle repeats itself.

5.Self-lock relay mode: we feed CH1 a high level pulse signal, relay closes. When we again feed a high level pulse signal, the relay opens.

6.Trigger relay mode: we feed CH1 a high level signal, relay closes. When the high level finishes, the relay opens.

7.Limited cycle mode 1: on basis of function 3, we increase the cycles. Under this mode, T1 and T2 are adjustable between 0 second to 9999 second, the cycle is selectable between 1 to 9999 times.

8.Limited cycle mode 2: on basis of function 4, we increase the cycles. Under this mode, T1 and T2 are adjustable between 0 second to 9999 second, the cycle is selectable between 1 to 9999 times.

Connections:

Module control side: there are 3-wire interface, all interfaces are terminal.

1. DC +:12V positive.

2. DC-: power in negative.

3. CH1: Input Detection Interface.

Relay outputs: a 3-wire interface, all interfaces are terminal.

1. NO: normal open (before relay closes, this pin is not connected. after relay closes, the pin short-connects with COM).

2. COM: Relay Common Interface.

3. NC: Normal closed (before relay closes, this pin short-connect with COM. after relay closes, the pin is not connected).

Sorry for being so lost on this...any advice is appreciated. Thanks!
« Last Edit: July 21, 2014, 10:57:12 am by rawbe »

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2014, 11:40:51 am »
1.Close upon the set time: after power one, the delay time T1 reaches, and the relay closes. T1 is adjustable between 0 second to 270 hours. When we feed CH1 a high level pulse signal, the cycle repeats itself (the high level time lasts longer or equal to 20ms. Same applies to below).
This should be the mode you want.

Connections:

Module control side: there are 3-wire interface, all interfaces are terminal.

1. DC +:12V positive.

2. DC-: power in negative.

3. CH1: Input Detection Interface.

Relay outputs: a 3-wire interface, all interfaces are terminal.

1. NO: normal open (before relay closes, this pin is not connected. after relay closes, the pin short-connects with COM).

2. COM: Relay Common Interface.

3. NC: Normal closed (before relay closes, this pin short-connect with COM. after relay closes, the pin is not connected).
Wire it like the left and bottom parts of my diagram above.

12v and ground from your computer power supply molex (yellow and black wires) go to the "DC+" and "DC-" terminals, respectively.

AC Hot (black wire) from the power strip connects to the COM (common) terminal on the left side, center.

AC Hot (black wire) to the monitor connects to the NO (Normally Open) terminal on the left side, top. (by the relay)

AC neutral and ground ( white and green wires) connect straight to the monitor.

Scott
« Last Edit: July 21, 2014, 11:55:43 am by PL1 »

rawbe

• Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2014, 11:07:55 am »
Thanks Scott and MTPPC for the help! I hooked up the relay last night and it works like a champ!

Robbie