Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Which front-end for these requirements ?  (Read 888 times)

jimmer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 17, 2024, 06:03:11 pm
  • I want to play Defender like at the arcade.
Which front-end for these requirements ?
« on: May 10, 2014, 08:39:57 am »

I've just started to play with MaLa, but it gets complicated quickly, so I thought I'd better check here. Someone might say "you can do all that with XXXXX"

So, MAME cabinet with a rotatable 17" or 19" LCD 1280x1024. With swappable panels.

What I want is a menu system that leads me to a gamelist that is suitable for the control panel and screen orientation. I'm happy to build the lists manually as I'm only up to 20 games so far.

The further complication is that I don't like MAME default display, I might need to run games with specific display options. Also I think I want to run diffferent MAME versions (eg for Galaxian, old version with 256x224 resolution).

Suggestions ?

Buy a large Hi-Res display and forget about rotation might be the best answer?

On forums jimmer speaks for himself as a Defender fan, not as proprietor of www.jbgaming.co.uk  << Is that advertising or disclosure ? or both ?

DeLuSioNal29

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 20, 2023, 11:39:06 pm
  • Build the impossible -"There is no Spoon"
    • DeLuSioNaL's YouTube Videos
Re: Which front-end for these requirements ?
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2014, 11:46:32 am »
Check out Hyperspin.  I'm running multiple versions of MAME on it.  (One for Neo Geo, one for MAME and one for MAME and Donkey Kong Pauline Edition).  I was able to have the gamelist mixed as well.  So that the Pauline Edition of Donkey Kong appears in the main MAME list.

Word of caution.  It's a bit confusing to download (it was for me).  They may have fixed this by now...  But once I upgraded to Platinum membership with both Hyperspin and Emumovies everything was a snap.  Especially when their new Hypersync software which will look at your roms and automatically download the themes, snaps and videos for the menu.

DeLuSioNaL29
Stop by my Youtube channel and leave a comment:

keilmillerjr

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 06, 2023, 10:20:39 pm
  • Web Developer.
Re: Which front-end for these requirements ?
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2014, 12:20:41 pm »
http://attractmode.org

Easy to set that up with filters for anything within mame.xml file.