Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Who has Built an "Ultimate Arcade II" ??  (Read 7317 times)

CaptainMarvel

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 03, 2020, 04:49:55 pm
Who has Built an "Ultimate Arcade II" ??
« on: September 30, 2013, 06:29:42 pm »
Just curious as to whom - amongst you - has built their MAME cabinet based on North Coast Customs' "Ultimate Arcade II" model.   I am most interested in those who have built their cabinet's from scratch using either the actual plans for the UA II or from using the UA II as inspiration.
TOM

Understanding that you may not see success instantly, but that all your good decisions add up to a cumulative success over time is what separates those who "get there" and those who don't. Every day you either get further away from your goals, or closer to them . . . Its up to YOU."

Rick

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 09, 2023, 01:16:55 pm
  • Bartop, Cocktail and Pinball Arcade Cabinets
    • Gameroom Designs Canada
Re: Who has Built an "Ultimate Arcade II" ??
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2013, 07:29:27 pm »
I'm just going to go out on a limb and say you're going to find a lot more who say that the North Coast Customs cabinets are based on others' original ideas. They do seem to offer a quality product, but I certainly don't believe they're innovators of the craft.

vorghagen

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 05, 2017, 01:06:59 am
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2013, 08:08:46 pm »
I'm most of the way through a UAII build. Using their plans, built from scratch.
Never argue with an idiot, he'll just drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

CaptainMarvel

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2013, 12:04:18 am »
I'm most of the way through a UAII build. Using their plans, built from scratch.
Any pics to share ??    :)
TOM

Understanding that you may not see success instantly, but that all your good decisions add up to a cumulative success over time is what separates those who "get there" and those who don't. Every day you either get further away from your goals, or closer to them . . . Its up to YOU."

WindDrake

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 03, 2020, 09:49:05 pm
  • Electrical Engineer
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2013, 12:04:50 am »
I build up a UAII with the 4-Player CP.

http://wdarcade.wordpress.com

Fun kit.

CaptainMarvel

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2013, 11:55:58 am »

Fun kit.
Okay ... That Game Room is AWESOME !!!     :notworthy:
All you need is an Air Hockey table and a Skee Ball setup. 

So, for your UA II ... You built it from the pre-cut kit from North Coast Customs?
TOM

vorghagen

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2013, 07:39:26 pm »
I've got a few photos of the build so far but nothing too extensive. Is there anything in particular you were after? I'll try to upload some tonight after work.
Never argue with an idiot, he'll just drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

paigeoliver

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 29, 2022, 06:10:15 pm
  • Awesome face!
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2013, 09:24:09 pm »
As a long term collector I think the design is terrible. It was like they built it without ever having seen an actual arcade cabinet. It picked up a bunch of design bits from various BYOAC scratch builds, but they don't go together well and some of them are terrible.

Pros.

I can't really think of any.

Cons.

#1. Needlessly complex. The cabinet sides are inexplicably made out of multiple pieces of wood instead of being solid. This makes the cabinet both weaker and heavier. Someone will come chirping in and say you can take it apart into 2 pieces to move it, but that is a near worthless function and it is ruined since the design puts most of the weight in the unwieldy top section anyway.

#2. The cabinet inexplicably bumps in multiple times in front making reaching the coin door quite difficult and it makes the cabinet far less stable. Go look at a TMNT or a Gauntlet and see how the control panel barely extends past the base of the cabinet.

#3. The control panel top goes out too far past the box on the corners of the 4 player design leaving those areas prone to possible breakage from rough players.

#4. The monitor is mounted straight up and down giving players 3 and 4 a terrible view. Once again examine TMNT and Gauntlet and see how 4 player cabinets lean the monitor back to make sure the side players can see it.

Acceptance of Zen philosophy is marred slightly by the nagging thought that if all things are interconnected, then all things must be in some way involved with Pauly Shore.

CaptainMarvel

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2013, 10:06:28 pm »
I've got a few photos of the build so far but nothing too extensive. Is there anything in particular you were after? I'll try to upload some tonight after work.
I'm most interested in how the top panels are connected to the base - and then how the laminate is then applied  . . . assuming, of course, you're using laminate.
TOM

Rick

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 09, 2023, 01:16:55 pm
  • Bartop, Cocktail and Pinball Arcade Cabinets
    • Gameroom Designs Canada
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2013, 10:14:14 pm »
I'm most interested in how the top panels are connected to the base - and then how the laminate is then applied  . . . assuming, of course, you're using laminate.

I read over the manual a while back. Were they not using those "IKEA" style connectors? The round cams in the precut holes, and screws in the sides? So, the laminate was pre-applied?

CaptainMarvel

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2013, 12:36:29 am »

I read over the manual a while back. Were they not using those "IKEA" style connectors? The round cams in the precut holes, and screws in the sides? So, the laminate was pre-applied?

For the pre-fab kits, yes - I believe you are correct  . . . . which is why I am interested to see how others build and connect their UA II "inspired" cabs from scratch.
TOM

vorghagen

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2013, 03:27:15 am »

Haven't actually attached the top panels to the base yet. There are no cams or anything, instructions just say to use wood screws, (6 per side from memory). Once I'm home I'll pull out the instructions and provide a little more detail.
I'm not using laminate on mine - almost impossible to get large enough rolls in Australia. I'll be using a kind of vinyl overlay instead.

CaptainMarvel

• Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2013, 11:57:18 am »
Haven't actually attached the top panels to the base yet. There are no cams or anything, instructions just say to use wood screws, (6 per side from memory).

I have the same instructions ... and you are correct.  Seems straight forward enough.  I'm just interested in seeing how others have approached the construction and (in your case) overlay process to provide for as "screwl-less" an outer appearance as possible (if that makes sense). 

Once I'm home I'll pull out the instructions and provide a little more detail.
I'm not using laminate on mine - almost impossible to get large enough rolls in Australia. I'll be using a kind of vinyl overlay instead.

Looking forward to hearing/seeing more about your progress. 

Are you planning on a 2 or 4 player control panel setup?
TOM

vorghagen

• Offline Offline
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2013, 07:24:16 pm »
I've countersunk all the screws over the entire cabinet so any overlay I put on will be pretty much flush.

I was originally planning a 4 player cabinet but I made a stupid mistake on the bottom side panels which reduced the stability a little bit so I'm scaling back to a 2 player machine. Since the 4 player CP is already built I guess I'll be attempting a showcase next.

WindDrake

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 03, 2020, 09:49:05 pm
  • Electrical Engineer
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2013, 12:23:01 am »

Fun kit.
Okay ... That Game Room is AWESOME !!!     :notworthy:
All you need is an Air Hockey table and a Skee Ball setup. 

So, for your UA II ... You built it from the pre-cut kit from North Coast Customs?

Yep, pre-cut kit. And thanks for the kind words. The game room is coming along. Air Hockey is on the list, but I think I'm going to shoot for a Super Chexx. Skee-Ball is definitely also on the list. That or a Puck Bowler.

I also agree with most of what paigeoliver said. Compared to an actual cab, the UAII does look a little funky. It is, however, very solid. While it's not going to withstand the horrible beating my 3Koam Z-Back could take, it's no featherweight, and has survived a move without a scratch or hiccup. Also, I've not gotten a complaint about the viewing angles for Player 3/4 yet, as I used a good TN display with a very wide, forgiving viewing angle, also using nearly the largest screen I could jam in there.

Also, the top weighs almost the same as the bottom when the cab is split into two pieces. Thanks to my old 3rd flood walkup, I'm quite familiar with this. :( The rough players thing I agree with, but my friends don't beat my stuff up. Never an issue.

The coin door is definitely something of a bear to get to. It's in a stupid location.

It's definitely not a 4-Player Midway cab (TMNT/X-Men/etc), but it's not bad. I like mine. It's sturdy and easy to get in/out of.

CaptainMarvel

• Offline Offline
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2013, 12:38:01 pm »
I'm still contemplating a 2-Player vs. 4 Player control panel . . . . though either way, I'm also contemplating the two-level design concept I've seen (see example images below)

TOM

CaptainMarvel

• Offline Offline
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2013, 12:44:45 pm »
Then again, there's something to be said for the "keep it simple stupid" concept  . . .

TOM

CaptainMarvel

• Offline Offline
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2013, 02:17:59 pm »

Haven't actually attached the top panels to the base yet. There are no cams or anything, instructions just say to use wood screws, (6 per side from memory). Once I'm home I'll pull out the instructions and provide a little more detail.

Any pics to share of the progress you've made thus far ??

:)
TOM

dekar24k

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 28, 2019, 03:50:11 pm
    • ArcadeForum.com
« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2013, 04:46:09 am »
I built one, see my signature (Rainy Days). It's huge and it's rather ugly. I'm not a fan of the design, hence why I sold it pretty fast. :)
Finished project: "The Saloon Arcade" - 2 player upright cabinet

Joystick.net - Retro gaming news and reviews

blackcube

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 08, 2013, 03:56:33 pm
« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2013, 01:54:22 pm »
Your Rainy Days arcade was a huge inspiration for me building my own UAII arcade.  I did a 4-player custom panel for mine and documented the process.  It's been 2 years since completion, and I really need to start a build thread. 

The UAII is big, but it's a great way to get into arcade gaming with little woodworking experience.  Building the control panel was a fun and rewarding experience.  My advice, don't rush the build.  I took a year to complete mine and never worked to frustration.

Unfortunately, I don't think the software side of things will ever be complete.  I am constantly tweaking and adding things :)

dekar24k

• Offline Offline
    • ArcadeForum.com
« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2013, 02:00:15 pm »
Your Rainy Days arcade was a huge inspiration for me building my own UAII arcade.  I did a 4-player custom panel for mine and documented the process.  It's been 2 years since completion, and I really need to start a build thread. 

The UAII is big, but it's a great way to get into arcade gaming with little woodworking experience.  Building the control panel was a fun and rewarding experience.  My advice, don't rush the build.  I took a year to complete mine and never worked to frustration.

Unfortunately, I don't think the software side of things will ever be complete.  I am constantly tweaking and adding things :)

Thanks, that's nice to hear! :)

Yes, you are never really finished with these projects. I finished my last cab one and a half year ago, but still I am tweaking, adding and removing stuff. I've changed the monitor 3 times etc. Right now I'm using a 27" IPS LCD monitor in it, mounted vertically and I also recently added pinball (flipper) buttons on the side. :)

Thinking of going horizontally again now, but I need someone to fix my 27" Makvision CRT. It burned out only after a couple months use (because of a faulty smart strip I believe, which was constantly switching power on/off).

CaptainMarvel

• Offline Offline
« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2013, 04:02:41 pm »
I built one, see my signature (Rainy Days). It's huge and it's rather ugly. I'm not a fan of the design, hence why I sold it pretty fast. :)

I don't see a "Rainy Days" link within your signature.     :dunno
TOM

dekar24k

• Offline Offline
    • ArcadeForum.com
« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2013, 02:52:53 am »

I don't see a "Rainy Days" link within your signature.     :dunno

Aah, thought I still had it there. Anyways here's the URL:

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,98575

I see that all the pictures are missing, will fix that soon. :)

CaptainMarvel

• Offline Offline
« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2013, 07:29:19 pm »
Wondering if anyone out there might have - or know if there is such available on the web - a Google SketchUp file for this arcade cab design.  (I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask).

:)
TOM

vorghagen

• Offline Offline
« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2013, 02:09:18 am »
The very beginnings of a sketchup file for the UAII.
Not sure if this is a model of how it's supposed to be, or a model of the dodgy bottom half I made by mistake.