Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: First Time Arcade Cabinet - Sitting  (Read 1800 times)

Trau

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 22, 2013, 10:50:44 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
First Time Arcade Cabinet - Sitting
« on: June 20, 2013, 06:58:16 pm »
Hey there guys!

Me and a few friends are working on building a sitting arcade cabinet as part of Project En0vation as offered by LSU. I'll be updating periodically with new pictures and the like as we continue to go. There are five of us, each working on a different aspect. I am in charge of building the cabinet and installing all of the hardware (which is how I found myself here), one is in charge of software, specifically making sure all of the electronic aspects of the machine work together (we are using some products, like the Leap Motion Controller, that may be hard to interface and that may need a custom driver), another is writing all of the coding for the game itself, as well as creating the models, and then the last two are in charge of music and sound.

I have a few question to ask here (if that's cool) because we are enumerating our projected costs for our proposal for the grant.

1) Where do you guys recommend for vinyl prints and about how much does a set of a marque, bezel, and siding go for?
2) Is there any site that sells the chairs from old racing cabinets or does anyone know where I might look to find them?
3) I understand that the marque is traditionally sealed in acrylic (plexiglass) panes, but is that the same of the side panels?
4) What (material-wise) would you recommend making the bezel out of?

I'll add the details for the actual project later, if you guys are interested in hearing them.

Hornet

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 12, 2013, 08:31:46 pm
    • Camera Restoration Materials
Re: First Time Arcade Cabinet - Sitting
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2013, 07:14:36 pm »
I guess location might be of help, or would I be right in thinking that LSU = Louisiana State University? If so I am in the UK and can't help with printing decals, marquee ect. But there is a specific section dedicated to sitting arcade cabinets in this forum, might be worth a browse for ideas? http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/board,55.0.html

I would like to wish you much success with your build and I will watch/follow with great interest.   ;D
ME- Its a bartop.
WIFE- But we don't have a bar.
ME- That's my next project! ;-)

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 04:09:17 am
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2013, 08:52:43 pm »
Welcome aboard, Trau.

1) Where do you guys recommend for vinyl prints and about how much does a set of a marque, bezel, and siding go for?
Here is a list of reputable vendors and art download sites.

Costs vary from vendor to vendor, depending on size, material, and quality.

2) Is there any site that sells the chairs from old racing cabinets or does anyone know where I might look to find them?
Shipping on something that large is probably going to be expensive, so finding a local source might be a good idea.

You may want to put up a Want To Buy (WTB) post in the B/S/T forum.  PROTIP: Before you do, read and heed this sticky thread.

You might also want to check in the KLOV trading post Videogame - For Sale or Wanted forums.

3) I understand that the marque is traditionally sealed in acrylic (plexiglass) panes, but is that the same of the side panels?
The sideart would not have the acrylic/plexi like a marquee since sideart wasn't backlit like the marquee.

4) What (material-wise) would you recommend making the bezel out of?
Lots of options -- depends on the display.

Paint on the back of tempered glass works fine for flat screens, but not so well for a curved CRT.

Are you looking for a printed bezel sandwiched between a thin piece of clear acrylic on the front and tinted glass like Graylite 31 in the back?

I'll add the details for the actual project later, if you guys are interested in hearing them.
Always fun to see how people work through the challenges of a build.   ;D

Scott

Trau

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2013, 10:24:23 pm »
Thanks for the replies! I've already made significantly more progress as far as research goes. We found a chair for relatively cheap, 175 from SuzoHapp.

As far as our bezel goes, there would actually be three. This will be a triple monitor game (the monitors are all 32' diag passive 3d TVs, that will be coupled with VR head tracking, courtesy of a jury rigged kinect from Microsoft) so I imagine a traditional bezel may not be applicable.  :-\

Are you looking for a printed bezel sandwiched between a thin piece of clear acrylic on the front and tinted glass like Graylite 31 in the back?

As far as that question goes, I currently have no idea. I'm still trying to figure everything out. what do you think would be the easiest option for a budding builder? Time of course, is not a concern. If we get our proposal actually approved, we will have from August 1st this year till the 20th of May next year.

Thanks for the links by the way, from both of you. Super helpful!  ;D

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 04:09:17 am
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2013, 03:22:21 am »
We found a chair for relatively cheap, 175 from SuzoHapp.
WARNING: Happ is infamous for their outrageous shipping costs --  check into it before you buy.

A reseller like BYOAC's own Divemaster127 might get you the same thing for a lot less in the shipping department.

As far as our bezel goes, there would actually be three. This will be a triple monitor game (the monitors are all 32' diag passive 3d TVs, that will be coupled with VR head tracking, courtesy of a jury rigged kinect from Microsoft) so I imagine a traditional bezel may not be applicable.  :-\
When you get some sketches of how you plan to fit it all together, post them and we'll see what might work.

Time of course, is not a concern. If we get our proposal actually approved, we will have from August 1st this year till the 20th of May next year.
Hope you're right on that first part, but on a prototype group-build like this the phrase that leaps to mind is, "Famous last words."    :hissy:

Good luck with the integration and build.   :cheers:

Scott

Trau

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2013, 11:37:10 pm »
Hey guys!

Long time no hear, for sure, but its been a hectic summer getting our grant under wraps and everything nice and presentable. We finally got confirmation for the grant and now that we've all pretty much settled our summers out, we're kicking things full gear and getting to work. We have, officially, only concept art so far and its nothing glorious (I'm a first time Sketch Up user, so its rough).