Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: "1943: Tiny Pilot" Inspired by Woodshop Flunkys 'American Ace' [Art & Templates]  (Read 35500 times)

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 12:09:56 am
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
So you're not planning to keep this?
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

Maximus

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 26, 2017, 05:32:05 pm
  • Plans are for fools!!!!
    • Arcade Icons

Originally it was a 'throw together a seller with all the bits I have laying around' but of course you never know how you are going to feel about it when it's finished. And then again you don't know how you'll feel about it after it's been sitting in your house for two months and your hobby account is looking pretty low  ::)

Maximus

• Offline Offline
    • Arcade Icons
If you could pull it off also I would try to emulate the artwork that W. Flunky had on the side of his weecade.

I thought about this a lot on the way into work this morning and think that something along these lines will be the best way to go. Once again a project has evolved from a quick 'burner' into something that I'm really happy with, so a little more attention than my first idea may be in order.

So, the idea is full printed side art that incorporates the original 1943 artwork along with some weathered blue/gray and rivets. As I said at the beginning Woodshop Flunky's American Ace is a huge influence on this build so I don't think using a similar style of side-art and kick plate treatment would be inappropriate.

Also, for some extra fun I'm going to do the black/yellow hazard stripes across the coin door and if i'm really feeling brave will try and make the same striping on the T-Molding too.

Well, here we go again, this project just turned into a labor-of-love.  :P
« Last Edit: August 12, 2013, 11:45:43 am by Maximus »

yotsuya

• Offline Offline

Originally it was a 'throw together a seller with all the bits I have laying around' but of course you never know how you are going to feel about it when it's finished.

I hear you, brother. When I've worked on projects for people in the past, part of me always wishes I could keep it for myself, as the accumulated knowledge with each project makes each cab just that much better.  :cheers:

Maximus

• Offline Offline
    • Arcade Icons
Yeah I bounced all over the map with Barrel of Kong until someone basically made me an offer a couldn't refuse. We'll see how this one goes.

Speaking of getting better...

« Last Edit: August 12, 2013, 01:29:15 pm by Maximus »

mcseforsale

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 09, 2024, 03:07:41 pm
  • Creepy Mario Dude
That is awesome.

subscribed.

AJ

Yeah I bounced all over the map with Barrel of Kong until someone basically made me an offer a couldn't refuse. We'll see how this one goes.

Speaking of getting better...

Maximus

• Offline Offline
    • Arcade Icons
While we are at it, better go back to the CP and Kickplate...

emphatic

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 08:07:08 am
  • -"Suck it, Donny!" -"No, YOU suck it.... more".
    • Emphatic's Video Game Collection
Fricky-dicky-doo, that artwork's great.  :cheers:

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
Just an opinion, but I wouldn't add the 1943 side art over the full-size design. It starts to look too busy. The full-size design looks fine without the added game art.

jdbailey1206

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 11, 2023, 01:32:56 pm
  • No. It's your top score on Pole Position.
Just an opinion, but I wouldn't add the 1943 side art over the full-size design. It starts to look too busy. The full-size design looks fine without the added game art.

+1  I would reccommend doing some smaller stencil lettering that said "NO STEP", "DO NOT WALK ON THIS AREA", or even serial numbers.  The 1943 decal takes away from the sideart.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2013, 06:32:42 am by jdbailey1206 »

Maximus

• Offline Offline
    • Arcade Icons
I will have a play with it and see how it looks, i like the stencil letter idea

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 06:22:10 am
  • <insert personal text here>
I like the decal on the side but it should be more faded, scuffed, and look more painted on than stuck on.  Rather than on top of the panels it should be part of the panels if you're going to keep it.  Just a thought. 

Maximus

• Offline Offline
    • Arcade Icons
I like the decal on the side but it should be more faded, scuffed, and look more painted on than stuck on.  Rather than on top of the panels it should be part of the panels if you're going to keep it.  Just a thought.

The idea was to try and go for a faded battered look, like it had just been pasted on there haphazardly, but I need to get hi-res versions of the art first, the mock up is just using some lo-res at the moment.

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
I dunno, American Ace pulled off the "plane" look without side art rather successfully, but then again, his wasn't themed to a particular game. Maybe that's where the disconnect lies.

If you are going to keep the art, I would "tilt" the right side away from the front so it looks like the left.

Maximus

• Offline Offline
    • Arcade Icons
Yep the poster/side-art continues the branded theme of the cab, rather than making more 'genericy plane theme' which I tend to stay away from when i can help it. It may all come down to the issue of whether or not GoG feel comfortable sending me a copy of their vector art.

Maximus

• Offline Offline
    • Arcade Icons
Got my hands on some hi-res art and updated the files with this detail...

« Last Edit: August 13, 2013, 01:25:27 pm by Maximus »

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
 I'd still like to see the stencil concept, if you're planning to do it.

jdbailey1206

• Offline Offline
Joel,  If you are still looking to spruce up the side of the cabinet you could also try to incorporate shark nose art like they did on dis plane.  Just an idea.

Maximus

• Offline Offline
    • Arcade Icons
I'd still like to see the stencil concept, if you're planning to do it.

Yeah I may be adding lettering, but not taking away the poster. I've never agreed with the less-busy design preference myself, personally I think it is ill suited to the genre we are working in. Not to say that there aren't some fantastic minimalist cabinets, for example Echo Base is one of my favorite designs on the site. But for me personally that's not what I'm trying to do with my designs, I'm creating cabs that have large visual impact and wow appeal.

Barrel of Kong was my most low key design, and even in that one people were saying I shouldn't have put art on the Control panels, that the bezel should have been plain etc etc, but that's just not my bag baby.  :cheers:

mcseforsale

• Offline Offline
  • Creepy Mario Dude
That last art is awesome.  I agree, the sideart on these cabs makes them +1.

AJ

Maximus

• Offline Offline
    • Arcade Icons
Joel,  If you are still looking to spruce up the side of the cabinet you could also try to incorporate shark nose art

Rick

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 09, 2023, 01:16:55 pm
  • Bartop, Cocktail and Pinball Arcade Cabinets
    • Gameroom Designs Canada
Tiny Pilot reminds me of a joke:

One day a man walks into a bar and to his amazement, he finds a tiny person playing a tiny piano. Stunned the man asked the bartender where he got the person. The bartender replied that if you go into the closet there is a genie that will grant one wish.

The man dashed into the the closet and as the bartender said there was a genie, and lo and behold, he was right!  So, the man wished for one million bucks, but instead, got one million ducks. Infuriated the man stormed to the bartender and screamed, "I asked your ---smurfing--- genie for one million bucks but i got one million DUCKS!!! What gives?!"

"No ---steaming pile of meadow muffin---!" replied the bartender. "Do you really think I asked for a 12 inch PIANIST?!"

mcseforsale

• Offline Offline
  • Creepy Mario Dude

One day a man walks into a bar and to his amazement, he finds a tiny person playing a tiny piano. Stunned the man asked the bartender where he got the person. The bartender replied that if you go into the closet there is a genie that will grant one wish.

The man dashed into the the closet and as the bartender said there was a genie, and lo and behold, he was right!  So, the man wished for one million bucks, but instead, got one million ducks. Infuriated the man stormed to the bartender and screamed, "I asked your ---smurfing--- genie for one million bucks but i got one million DUCKS!!! What gives?!"

"No ---steaming pile of meadow muffin---!" replied the bartender. "Do you really think I asked for a 12 inch PIANIST?!"

Officially stolen ^^.  (see what I did with those ^'s? )

AJ

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
Guy is checking out at the supermarket.  Girl scanning his purchases says, "you're single aren't you" the guy looks at the single serving smorgasborde he'd purchased, laughs, and says, "yeah, how can you tell?" the checkout girl looks up exasperated and says, "cause you're ---fudgesicle--- ugly"

Maximus

• Offline Offline
    • Arcade Icons
Ha!

Ok I tried the lettering with some phrases like 'No Step' and 'My milkshake brings all the boys to the park' but I just couldn't get it to look right, so with that said I'm calling these designs a wrap and firing them off to Scott.

mcseforsale

• Offline Offline
  • Creepy Mario Dude
Classic:
A naked lady walks into a bar carrying a poodle in one hand and a three foot salami in the other...

Bartender says "well I guess you won't be needing a drink"...

Naked lady says "I got these for my husband" 

Bartender says "GOOD TRADE !"

AJ

Drnick

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 06, 2023, 01:19:48 pm
  • Plodding Through Life
Another nice build  :applaud: :applaud:

Bad Joke,

A man walks into a bar,   Ouch  :dizzy: :dizzy:

mcseforsale

• Offline Offline
  • Creepy Mario Dude

But face it. You're a neo maxi zoom dweebie, what would you be doing if you weren't out making yourself a better citizen?

Another nice build  :applaud: :applaud:

Bad Joke,

Maximus

• Offline Offline
    • Arcade Icons
ohhh ok.... (thread jackers)

There once was this 10 year old boy called Mike who lived on his father's farm and he was the biggest joy was tractors. He loved them. He adored them. In fact, without any exaggeration, they were his meaning for living. His roomed was decorated with tractor posters, he made tractor models and he took the greatest of joy in washing his father's tractors.

One day he came home from school and his father announced that he had decided it was time to buy a new tractor for the farm, and that consequently he would be going to the National Exhibition Center in Birmingham that weekend to pick one out. At this Mike went into tractor overdrive and started to beg his father to take him with him. Eventually his father relented and said "OK, you can come, but only if you finish all your homework and chores for the weekend on Friday night.

Friday night came round and little Mike rushed home from school and sat down to his homework. 30 minutes later (well he was only 10) he was at the kitchen sink doing the washing up and then it was out into the farmyard to wash the tractor. As he rubbed away he thought to himself "this is the last time I do this one, we'll have a new one next week". By 8 o'clock he was finished and it was time for his bath and then to bed.

Saturday morning, 7 o'clock. Mike jumped out of bed and ran downstairs and out to the yard where his father was getting the car ready. Having remembered that he had no clothes on, he ran back into the house, up to his room , got dressed and then ran back down again. Mike's father rebuked him, saying "You're having breakfast before you go" . So after breakfast it was into the car and off to the NEC.

All the way there Mike was looking out of the car window, trying to spot as many type of tractor as he could, much to his father's annoyance. "Will you be still for 1 hour?" A shrimp stood a better chance of surviving in a supernova. Eventually they arrived at the NEC and Mike's dad parked the car.

"Can I have a look around on my own" pleaded Mike. "You must be joking " retorted his father. However, as is the way with small children and some parents, one major tantrum later Mike was wandering around the NEC while his father picked out a new tractor.

The first stand that Mike came to was British and it had a wonderful big red tractor on it. Mike let out a little squeak of joy and jumped in the cab. There were all the usual knobs and dials, but in addition there was a stereo radio cassette. Now to Mike this was a major improvement on the tractor on his father's farm and for several minutes he was having great fun. Then the salesman arrived. "So what do you think of this model, Sir?" Well Mike was well enamored and communicated this to the salesman in no uncertain terms. "Would you like to purchase this model Sir?" Mike thought about this and said "well I only get $2 pocket money per week will that cover it mister?" The salesman gainfully fought off a heart attack and screamed "Get out of my tractor you little %*&$@#&%" which naturally upset Mike a little bit. However he quickly recovered and headed for the next stand.

The next stand that Mike came to was German and it had a wonderful big yellow tractor on it. Mike let out a slightly louder squeak of joy and jumped in the cab. There were the same knobs and dials and stereo radio cassette, but also wash wipers on all the windows and a CD player attached to the radio cassette. Now to Mike this was a major improvement on the British tractor and for several minutes he was having great fun. Then the salesman arrived. "So what do you think of this model, Sir?" Well Mike was greatly impressed and communicated this to the salesman in no uncertain terms. "Would you like to purchase this model Sir?" Mike thought about this and said "well I only get £2 pocket money per week will that cover it mister?" The salesman gainfully fought off a heart attack and a stroke and screamed "Get out of my tractor you little %*&$@#&%" which naturally upset Mike again. However he recovered and headed for the next stand.

The next stand that Mike came to was American and it had a wonderful big blue tractor on it. Mike let out a loud scream of joy and jumped in the cab. There were the same knobs and dials, stereo radio cassette with CD and wash wipers on all the windows, but in this tractor there was also a microwave oven and a small TV. Now to Mike this was a major improvement on the German tractor and for 25 minutes he had a wonderful time. Then the salesman arrived. "So what do you think of this model, Sir?" Well Mike was gob-smacked for a moment from the enormity of his joy, but he eventually communicated his joy to the salesman. "Would you like to purchase this model Sir?" Mike thought hard about his answer this time and then said "well I only get £2 pocket money per week will that cover it mister?" The salesman swallowed what must have been 2 gallons of phlegm and screamed "Get out of my tractor you little %*&$@#&%" which naturally upset Mike greatly. However he recovered with some difficulty and headed for the next stand.

The next stand that Mike came to was Japanese and it had a wonderful, enormous, golden tractor on it. Mike let out a very loud scream of joy which shattered several wine glasses in the near vicinity and jumped into the cab in a single bound. There were the same knobs and dials, stereo radio cassette with CD, wash wipers on all the windows and microwave oven, but this tractor had a widescreen TV with Nicam stereo sound and a small car attached to the back to take you home after a hard day in the fields. Now to Mike this was without doubt the most stupendous tractor he had ever seen and for a whole hour he played all over it. Eventually the salesman arrived. "So what do you think of this model, Sir?" Well Mike was naturally a little cautious about answering this question in light of what had happened so far and merely commented that it was "nice". The salesman realized that he was up against a hard dealer and asked "Would you like to purchase this model Sir?" Mike thought very hard about his answer this time and then said "well I only get £2 pocket money per week will that cover it mister?" The salesman leaped at Mike, dragged him from the cab and threw him of the stand screaming "Get out of here you little %*&$@#&%".

Now this time Mike was very upset. He ran around the NEC trying to find his father. When he did find him he ran up and was crying so much that his father decided they should go home. All the way home Mike lay on the back seat sniffling, not even bothering to look out of the window. When the car stopped in the farmyard Mike leaped from the car and ran upstairs to his bedroom. Pulling all the posters off the wall and collecting up all his models he ran back downstairs and out into the yard. Piling them all in the yard he set light to them. His parents just stood and watched. Then Mike announced "I'm off down to the pub" Now his parents realized that he wouldn't get into any trouble and let him go.

When Mike walked in to the pub he strolled nonchalantly up to the bar and asked for a pint of beer. Now this surprised the barman as not many 10 year old boys came in, but he gave him a pint of cold tea, knowing that Mike would never know the difference. As Mike sipped his "beer" he glanced around the bar and noticed how smoky it was. Commenting on this, the barman replied that "the chimney blows back a bit and a lot of the customers smoke. Mike contemplated on this and then announced "I can get rid of all this smoke for you". The barman just laughed and said "go on then!".

Mike took a big breath, sucking in all the smoke, and walked outside where he exhaled it. Walking back into the bar, the barman muttered "how the $%&£*~@# did you do that?"

"Oh it was easy - you see, I'm an ex-tractor fan."

mcseforsale

• Offline Offline
  • Creepy Mario Dude
So, so bad.   :o

AJ

Drnick

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 06, 2023, 01:19:48 pm
  • Plodding Through Life
Wow, so much text for such a bad punchline  :laugh2: :laugh2:

jdbailey1206

• Offline Offline

Guy is checking out at the supermarket.  Girl scanning his purchases says, "you're single aren't you" the guy looks at the single serving smorgasborde he'd purchased, laughs, and says, "yeah, how can you tell?" the checkout girl looks up exasperated and says, "cause you're ---fudgesicle--- ugly"

Classic:
A naked lady walks into a bar carrying a poodle in one hand and a three foot salami in the other...

Bartender says "well I guess you won't be needing a drink"...

Naked lady says "I got these for my husband" 

Bartender says "GOOD TRADE !"

AJ

When did my father start telling you guys jokes?    :laugh:

Rick

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 09, 2023, 01:16:55 pm
  • Bartop, Cocktail and Pinball Arcade Cabinets
    • Gameroom Designs Canada
Long-ass joke punchline: "Oh it was easy - you see, I'm an ex-tractor fan."

Let's just say... ...that joke...

(•_•)
( •_•)>⌐■-■
(⌐■_■)

...sucks.

Maximus

• Offline Offline
    • Arcade Icons
Artwork pack updated and available for download at the end of the OP.

I've sent all the artwork to Scott over at GoG now, so I'll have to wait for all of that to be finished before moving on.

I'm seriously considering replacing the Jamma board in this with the Android project that Degen has been working on, I've got all the hardware for it and it will allow me to do way more then the usual mix of 60 classics with better emulation. I'll have to have a good look at it and see if I can get it to do exactly what I want for this.

Maximus

• Offline Offline
    • Arcade Icons
Tired today so I just spent half an hour wiring up the audio and cutting the acrylic for the screen. Nothing exciting

Maximus

• Offline Offline
    • Arcade Icons
All going well, should end up looking like this...

jdbailey1206

• Offline Offline
Joel,

Where did you get your high res photos from to make your artwork?

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
That looks stellar!  Bonus points if you jump the shark and do the oval side details in 3D. 

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 10:18:34 am
  • Designated spam hunter
That looks stellar!  Bonus points if you jump the shark and do the oval side details in 3D.

On Maximus build, 3D oval detail shark jumps you.  [/Russian accent]

Scott
« Last Edit: August 14, 2013, 07:53:44 am by PL1 »

floriske.nl

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 15, 2015, 01:17:21 pm
  • I am building my own arcade controls!
That artwork looks stunning!   :notworthy:

To make it look even better maybe you can align the kickplate artwork with the sides?