Main Woodworking Reviews Software Monitor/Video Maximus Arcade
Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Project Announcements Artwork Consoles Buy/Sell/Trade Meet Up
Arcade Miscellaneous Everything Else Politics n Religion Forum Discussion Wiki Discussion GroovyMAME
DOS/WinCab Merit/JVL Touchscreen Automated Projects Driving & Racing Project Arcade Old Boards
Linux Restorations Pinball MaLa Frontend controls.dat Old Archives
    Retail Vendors    

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Arcade | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS

Author Topic: Tiny Galaga -Completely Done - tape, sticker maker, & a printer = DIY sideart  (Read 10082 times)

Louis Tully

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Maker of janky stuffs.
I'm not sure if this will end well but I'm going to give it a shot. These tiny ribbon cables stress me out.

These were a little bit of a pain to get connected. I had to slide a mini screw driver under the plastic edge of the surface mount button and break it just enough to expose the contact so I could attach the wire. It ended up working out. Lots of luck today.

One thing I'm looking forward to messing with is building the coin door. Since Insert Coin is set to the Select button of the DS I want to try and make a coin door with tiny buttons on it, that way it's not just decoration. Radioshack has these little buttons that I might be able to use. http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062546 That's a long ways away from being important though, I haven't even started designing the cabinet yet. I'm off to digikey.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2014, 06:32:30 am by Louis Tully »

jmike

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Offline Offline
Re: Tiny Galaga - I'm attempting a micro build. 6/15
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2013, 12:20:05 pm »
Wow, Interesting project LT.
      Those solder points look crazy.

Looks real good so far.  Will be watching your progress.

:cheers:

CoryBee

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Bopity Boopy
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2013, 02:46:18 pm »
 :applaud:

Careful with those ribbon cables :(

Louis Tully

• Offline Offline
  • Maker of janky stuffs.
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2013, 12:28:34 pm »
Wow, Interesting project LT.
      Those solder points look crazy.

Looks real good so far.  Will be watching your progress.

Thanks, dude.

Careful with those ribbon cables :(

:scared Indeed. I'm hoping to only have to disconnect and reconnect one more time.

Pissing around some this morning with a cabinet sketch or two.

Everything seems like it would work with this but nothing is ever easily done. The monitor/control panel is going to be tricky but I've got a few ideas bouncing around. Tapp sells some pretty thin plexi, I could try bending it to cover the control panel front. A vinyl overlay would be tons easier.

:dunno

Bender

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
    • Happ to Tron Conversion tutorial
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2013, 01:06:18 pm »
I used these as coin return buttons, as well as other admin buttons, they take paint well too. easy to solder and install, and VERY small
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3014504

I printed my CP on inkjet vinyl then put some polycarbonate film over it (just like my full-size  CP)
PM me if you want some I got plenty as these are so small, easily printed on a desktop photo printer

Love Galaga, Can't wait to see another micro!
« Last Edit: June 16, 2013, 01:11:41 pm by Bender »

shponglefan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2013, 06:59:44 pm »
Love these micro builds, looking forward to seeing the progress on this one!   ;D

05SRT4

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Check out my Pow Pow
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2013, 05:20:26 am »
Louis this build looks great. Before I did my GP2X I was staring at my DS thinking about it. Subscribed.

Do you plan on extending the power connector or just an open door for charging?

Louis Tully

• Offline Offline
  • Maker of janky stuffs.
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2013, 06:18:40 pm »
I used these as coin return buttons, as well as other admin buttons, they take paint well too. easy to solder and install, and VERY small
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3014504

I printed my CP on inkjet vinyl then put some polycarbonate film over it (just like my full-size  CP)
PM me if you want some I got plenty as these are so small, easily printed on a desktop photo printer

Love Galaga, Can't wait to see another micro!
Thanks for the link, I took a trip out to RS and picked up a few. They look perfect for this type of stuff. Decent overall feel to them as well. I will definitely PM you about your methods on getting the artwork squared away.
Thanks again, sir.

Love these micro builds, looking forward to seeing the progress on this one!   ;D

Louis this build looks great. Before I did my GP2X I was staring at my DS thinking about it. Subscribed.

Do you plan on extending the power connector or just an open door for charging?

I'm not sure yet. I like the idea of having a way to just plug right into the back panel but the way I'm planning on building it, opening the back for charging is fine. The DS has an awesome battery life anyway so I do'nt think it'll be a big deal.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I got a few little red led's from RS also, so I think I'll fart around with trying to make a coin door tomorrow. 2 joysticks from digikey should be here in a few days. Those little ---daisies--- are expensive.

CoryBee

• Offline Offline
  • Bopity Boopy
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2013, 08:06:57 pm »
For my micro build I am using a barrel plug jack, soldering the usb power leads on the phone's mainboard to it. Then combining the male end of a barrel plug and the male end of a USB cable. Will make it easy to charge and easy to stow it away.

Take lots of pictures and keep a steady hand!

marioxb

• Offline Offline
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2013, 01:53:35 pm »
Is this MAME for DS or a Namco Museum DS?

As far as extending the charging port, the easiest way to do this is get a USB DS charger and then something like this:

http://www.worldofelectronics.ie/product_p/mmusbc-7.htm

which can be glued into place somewhere on the back.

Louis Tully

• Offline Offline
  • Maker of janky stuffs.
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2013, 07:39:36 am »
For my micro build I am using a barrel plug jack, soldering the usb power leads on the phone's mainboard to it. Then combining the male end of a barrel plug and the male end of a USB cable. Will make it easy to charge and easy to stow it away.

Take lots of pictures and keep a steady hand!

That was my initial plan also, I've got a few sets of those jacks on hand actually, but I really want to see if I can keep the center panels at 3". Which is basically the size of the DS when it's vertical. So I can't have ---steaming pile of meadow muffin--- sticking out of the top of the DS. I've got a plan though, it'll probably fail, but I can always make it 4" wide and barrel it up.

From the wiki:
Size: 73.9 millimeters (2.9 inches) tall, 133 millimeters (5.2 inches) wide, 21.5 millimeters (0.85 inches) deep.

Is this MAME for DS or a Namco Museum DS?

As far as extending the charging port, the easiest way to do this is get a USB DS charger and then something like this:

http://www.worldofelectronics.ie/product_p/mmusbc-7.htm

which can be glued into place somewhere on the back.

It's Namco Museum and Konami Classics. I was playing the other day and noticed that for certain games it allows display option changes. Once I saw that Galaga could be set to vertical, I started building a mini cab in my head. It, by default, sets coin-up to the select button and player start to the start button. It was meant for a project. I'm still on the fence about adding more player buttons ATM.

1 Button = Galaga, Pac-Man, Galaxian, The Tower of Druaga, Mappy, Pooyan, Time Pilot, Circus Charlie

2 Buttons = Dig Dug 2, Xevious, Rainbow Bell, Shao-Lin's Road, Contra, Scramble, Roc'n Rope, Road Fighter

Lots of cool stuff added if there's another button but with a 3" wide control panel it might be a little too much. Once the joysticks get here I'll see what it's like. Who knows?

Louis Tully

• Offline Offline
  • Maker of janky stuffs.
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2013, 07:46:33 am »
No real update yet. Although, I did spend some time working on the coin door yesterday. I've got it worked out well enough except for the coin reject deals. I've got an idea though, gotta check with the junk pile at work later to see what's what.

Here's a little BS artwork just to see what it could look like.

At this scale, the buttons Bender suggested are perfect. I didn't adjust the control panel image other than making it 3" wide. Sweet.

Louis Tully

• Offline Offline
  • Maker of janky stuffs.
Re: Tiny Galaga - Wee Coin Door v.1 6/19
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2013, 12:30:10 pm »
Junk pile success!

All I've got to do is change the inserts to 25c and paint everything.

I ripped some trimmers apart and filed down the plastic part that connects to the wiper because they looked like decent coin slots. (Beavis:hehehehheeh Slots.)
I'm probably going to make a new one and move the buttons closer together and up a little. But it's not too bad for a first shot. It'll look better when everything is painted for sure.

mcseforsale

• Offline Offline
  • Creepy Mario Dude
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2013, 12:50:27 pm »
Very cool.  Subscribed.

AJ

Louis Tully

• Offline Offline
  • Maker of janky stuffs.
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2013, 08:21:11 pm »
Very cool.  Subscribed.

AJ
Thanks, bud.

I got my joysticks in today. Anyone know if the bat top is removable?

Jigenjuke

• Offline Offline
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2013, 11:29:53 pm »
Very cool.  Subscribed.

AJ
Thanks, bud.

Hmmm, LT I don't think so, but I was playing around with the idea of slicing off the bat top, drilling a small hole down the center of the joystick shaft and replacing it with a super glued Bright Red Round Pushpin.  That way after you sliced off the bat top, you could mount it in your CPO place a dust washer like most of the old arcade machines had over the top of your CPO art before you super glued your red push pin into it.

Just a thought

Jigenjuke

Louis Tully

• Offline Offline
  • Maker of janky stuffs.
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2013, 05:12:13 am »
Very cool.  Subscribed.

AJ
Thanks, bud.

Hmmm, LT I don't think so, but I was playing around with the idea of slicing off the bat top, drilling a small hole down the center of the joystick shaft and replacing it with a super glued Bright Red Round Pushpin.  That way after you sliced off the bat top, you could mount it in your CPO place a dust washer like most of the old arcade machines had over the top of your CPO art before you super glued your red push pin into it.

Just a thought

Jigenjuke
Damn it. I was wanting to make a little dust washer for it. I got 2 joysticks so I could mess with one so I think it's got a trip through the band saw planned for later today. Great idea about the pushpin. My wife has tons of those, it's worth a try.

Thanks for the suggestion.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2013, 05:28:39 am by Louis Tully »

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Online Online
  • 2013 UCA Awardee
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2013, 05:41:56 am »

Nope.  Wish you'd asked earlier.

The bat-top version is fixed, but Digikey carries a version that has no bat. (Grayhill P/N 04A)

They also carry a keycap version (P/N 04A-K01) -- keycap is removable.

Scott

EDIT: Someone who knows how to do 3D-printer-ready designs could make a properly sized balltop for these like threedprof did for his Micro TRON build.

« Last Edit: June 20, 2013, 06:03:50 am by PL1 »

Louis Tully

• Offline Offline
  • Maker of janky stuffs.
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2013, 06:01:55 am »
Thanks, PL1. I did see those before buying and saw that + pattern on the top which allows for different tops. So, I figured it could be removed and swapped out with whatever fits that + pattern. I was going to try and make a balltop for it. Or mess with the bat top some, file it down a little and paint it.

I'll never learn to never assume.  :banghead:

No big deal. I think the Jigenjuke method could work though.

CoryBee

• Offline Offline
  • Bopity Boopy
« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2013, 06:45:49 am »
Thanks, PL1. I did see those before buying and saw that + pattern on the top which allows for different tops. So, I figured it could be removed and swapped out with whatever fits that + pattern. I was going to try and make a balltop for it. Or mess with the bat top some, file it down a little and paint it.

I'll never learn to never assume.  :banghead:

No big deal. I think the Jigenjuke method could work though.

If you are just trying to change the color...why not spray the ball top after taping off the rest of the joystick?

Bender

• Offline Offline
    • Happ to Tron Conversion tutorial
« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2013, 08:14:42 am »
Hmm...
I remember getting the bat topoff of mine and seeing the plus base under there :dunno

Louis Tully

• Offline Offline
  • Maker of janky stuffs.
« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2013, 10:23:10 am »
Hmm...
I remember getting the bat topoff of mine and seeing the plus base under there :dunno

I tried and it's not budging. The saw worked though.  :lol

Louis Tully

• Offline Offline
  • Maker of janky stuffs.
Re: Tiny Galaga - interchangeable mini ball top/dust washer solution
« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2013, 10:33:13 am »
I love when my subconscious mind works things out for me. This just popped in my head 10 minutes before I had to leave for work. I was 2 minutes late.
 :-\

Now I've got to hit the mall, get a new barbell with a good size red ball and cut it to whatever size works best for this little control panel and glue it in place. For a dust washer, I figure hole punch a plastic lid or whatever and that'd be about the right size. Now I don't need such a large hole drilled for the joystick. That was really bugging me. It would've made the artwork look weird, plus, no dust washer.

Good deal.

Mungo9000

• Offline Offline
Re: Tiny Galaga - interchangeable mini ball top/dust washer solution 6/20
« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2013, 01:47:56 pm »
Really good work so far.
I once built a 7 Inch Pac-Man  out of a Game Boy Advance and tore the ribbon cable to the screen.  :banghead:

05SRT4

• Offline Offline
  • Check out my Pow Pow
Re: Tiny Galaga - interchangeable mini ball top/dust washer solution 6/20
« Reply #24 on: June 20, 2013, 05:37:16 pm »
For the dust washer on my mini mk I colored a nylon washer black and it works great. It may be a little thicker then what your looking for though.

Louis Tully

• Offline Offline
  • Maker of janky stuffs.
Re: Tiny Galaga - test control panel #1 - 6/20
« Reply #25 on: June 20, 2013, 05:56:50 pm »
Really good work so far.
I once built a 7 Inch Pac-Man  out of a Game Boy Advance and tore the ribbon cable to the screen.  :banghead:

I'm so worried that I'm going to mess that ribbon cable up. I don't touch it unless I absolutely have to.
Edit: Just looked over your mini Pac-Man  :applaud: I like those Electrovision buttons. I think I should get some of those.

For the dust washer on my mini mk I colored a nylon washer black and it works great. It may be a little thicker then what your looking for though.
I need one with a hole that's about 1/16th". I tried a hole punch but that's way too small. I cut one out for the hell of it and I think I can make one that looks ok if I take my time. I only need 1, if it takes a dozen or so tries  :dunno  It'll be worth it.

Here's BS control panel I just tossed together to see what's what. It'll look a lot better with a larger ball on the joystick, this one is just temporary. It's pretty cool though. The player 1 start mini button will go in the upper right corner.

I like this setup a lot but I'm not committed to it. I'm still knocking ideas around. Super Glue is some great stuff.

Edit: The super glue deal/nut thing is just because they happened to space things out enough to get an idea of how it would all work together. It's just thrown together, not going to actually be built this way.

Edit-Edit: Those buttons from Mungo9000's build look like they'd work a lot better than what I'm doing now. Ignore the above nonsense. Be back in a few days.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2013, 06:24:53 pm by Louis Tully »

emphatic

• Offline Offline
  • -"Suck it, Donny!" -"No, YOU suck it.... more".
    • Emphatic's Video Game Collection
« Reply #26 on: June 21, 2013, 04:36:19 pm »
Very nice work with that joystick! :cheers:

Louis Tully

• Offline Offline
  • Maker of janky stuffs.
« Reply #27 on: June 21, 2013, 07:59:14 pm »
Very nice work with that joystick! :cheers:
Thank you, emphatic. I didn't feel right making a Galaga cab with a battop.

I picked up some new barbells today. They didn't have a red color close to the Galaga joystick so I got the darkest they had. Plus a black one and a neon green one. I'll see how it goes.

mike boss

• Offline Offline
« Reply #28 on: June 21, 2013, 08:01:20 pm »
Your like a mad scientist...........and awesome mad scientist !
Super cool.

Louis Tully

• Offline Offline
  • Maker of janky stuffs.
I ordered some buttons last night but they're from the UK so the build is on hold until they get here. I don't want to get far along and have an issue with those buttons or something. Who knows, I might have to 86 the metal panel all together and do something different? I got some JB Weld today, never messed with the stuff before, so I could figure up a way to connect the joystick to the metal. I'm planning to make a few Z shaped pieces to go on the sides if the joystick base to keep it in place, I'm hoping the JB Weld will do the trick. I'm testing it out on some scrap pieces right now. 

Here's what I got done today.

These aren't the final pieces. I think I'm going to have to push the marquee back a little more than what I've got on paper. It looks like it's going to make seeing the screen a bit difficult and at this size, it doesn't need to be any more difficult than it already is. The coin door will attach right on the front panel, not protruding like the above picture. I was just seeing how it looks.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2013, 08:14:07 pm by Louis Tully »

Louis Tully

• Offline Offline
  • Maker of janky stuffs.
Tiny Galaga - Coin door #2 with lights & a joystick mount 6/23
« Reply #30 on: June 23, 2013, 12:31:41 pm »
I made a smaller coin door that first one was a tad too wide. I also decided to leave out those little plastic pieces that looked like coin slots because it was a bit crowded. Keep it simple. The joystick mount was a lot of work but it's great. All I have to do is bend the tabs once I've got everything ready to go and it's all set. I still need to trim the joystick shaft a bit, file the coin return rectangles, print better 25c inserts, make/find a dust washer and a whole lot of other things. Not bad for a couple of hours here and there though.

Looks like it fits well enough.

Hornet

• Offline Offline
    • Camera Restoration Materials
Re: Tiny Galaga - Coin door #2 with lights & a joystick mount 6/23
« Reply #31 on: June 23, 2013, 02:36:39 pm »
Awesome build, projects like these amaze me. Cant wait to see the finished product, well done!
ME- Its a bartop.
WIFE- But we don't have a bar.
ME- That's my next project! ;-)

Jigenjuke

• Offline Offline
Re: Tiny Galaga - Coin door #2 with lights & a joystick mount 6/23
« Reply #32 on: June 23, 2013, 06:38:47 pm »
LT really love how the joystick and bezel turned out!  Awesome!  Just a suggestion and the coin door however...  You might take the little 25cent guys and sand or cut them down so that they are a little more flush on the coin door.  Mask them off and paint them.  If I am jumping the gun on you sorry.  Also after looking at the awesome enclosure you made for the mini joystick you could also get rid of the screws on the front of the coin door and make attachment clips for the back of the coin door much like the full size coindoors are made. 

Lookin' great man keep up the awesome work!

Jigenjuke

Louis Tully

• Offline Offline
  • Maker of janky stuffs.
Awesome build, projects like these amaze me. Cant wait to see the finished product, well done!
Thanks, Hornet.

LT really love how the joystick and bezel turned out!  Awesome!  Just a suggestion and the coin door however...  You might take the little 25cent guys and sand or cut them down so that they are a little more flush on the coin door.  Mask them off and paint them.  If I am jumping the gun on you sorry.  Also after looking at the awesome enclosure you made for the mini joystick you could also get rid of the screws on the front of the coin door and make attachment clips for the back of the coin door much like the full size coindoors are made. 

Lookin' great man keep up the awesome work!

Jigenjuke
Great suggestions, Juke. I appreciate the input. Fresh eyes and outside opinions are always helpful. I took the 25c dealys down about half the size they were and it looks a lot better. I think I'll take them down just a little more though.

I don't follow you on the attachment clips for the coin door. I've only messed with 1 actually coin door IRL, from my Asteroids cab, and it's got 4 bolts attaching it to the cab and I based my screw location on it.

I did, however, try something different to replace the screws. I made the holes a little larger and used bolts. I know you're thinking, "what's the difference with how it'll look, both have the Phillips mark showing?" I popped them into the drill press and used a file to reshape them. Flattened the heads, removed the Phillips indent, and made the overall head width smaller. Now it kind of looks like a goofy rivet or something. How's that seem to fit in your opinion? Less janky? 

It should look cool once painted. I'm going to use this same method for attaching the control/monitor panel. As long as the buttons I'm waiting for work out all right.

Jigenjuke

• Offline Offline
Hey LT,

Nice on the inserts!  Dropping it down even a little more would be a good idea.

Are the srews there to affix the coin door to the cabinet?  If not maybe cutting off pin heads and glueing them to their respective places would make it even more of a realistic replica.  As for the coindoor clips if you look at the photo I've attached, you can clearly see two of the "clips" attaching the coindoor to the cabinet.  This is how many of these guys are attached.  If you did it this way it might cut down on the clutter. 

I really like those mini microtac switches.  I used them on my mini coindoors.  I know that Bender did as well.  They look great and work well too.

I really love these "playable" mirco arcade replicas.  I have been playing with the idea of picking up a Desktop Laser CNC cutter.  I ran across this guy making a 10" Dragon's Lair replica. 

http://resetvector.com/images/cnc-laser-cutting/the-making-of-dragons-lair-10-inch/

All I can say is WOW!  I want a laser CNC!!!!

Keep up the great work LT

Jigenjuke

Louis Tully

• Offline Offline
  • Maker of janky stuffs.
Hey LT,

Nice on the inserts!  Dropping it down even a little more would be a good idea.

Are the srews there to affix the coin door to the cabinet?  If not maybe cutting off pin heads and glueing them to their respective places would make it even more of a realistic replica.  As for the coindoor clips if you look at the photo I've attached, you can clearly see two of the "clips" attaching the coindoor to the cabinet.  This is how many of these guys are attached.  If you did it this way it might cut down on the clutter. 

I really like those mini microtac switches.  I used them on my mini coindoors.  I know that Bender did as well.  They look great and work well too.

I really love these "playable" mirco arcade replicas.  I have been playing with the idea of picking up a Desktop Laser CNC cutter.  I ran across this guy making a 10" Dragon's Lair replica. 

http://resetvector.com/images/cnc-laser-cutting/the-making-of-dragons-lair-10-inch/

All I can say is WOW!  I want a laser CNC!!!!

Keep up the great work LT

Jigenjuke

The bolts are there to keep the coin door on the cab, yes. Thanks for the clips shot, I'll see what I can come up with. I can always fall back on the bolted door if nothing pans out.

CNC stuff is interesting, for sure. But they take away a big part of the fun, IMO.

Louis Tully

• Offline Offline
  • Maker of janky stuffs.

I've got to sand the horizontal pieces a little more, they're a tiny bit wider than the metal panel but not too much. The marquee area was shortened a little from the drawing to allow a larger view of the screen. I'm thinking of going with dowels for this. Things went well for the Helicopter Game build using them so why not again? I haven't though about marquee retainers yet but I'm going to see if I can make them out of the sheet metal I've got left over.

I'm digging this mini stuff. It's a lot of fun. It's like a bunch of tiny puzzles.

CoryBee

• Offline Offline
  • Bopity Boopy
I am loving this build. Mine is almost playable.

I'm digging this mini stuff. It's a lot of fun. It's like a bunch of tiny puzzles.

This ^^ is so true

shponglefan

• Offline Offline
This build is already several different kinds of awesome.  Keep it up!  :applaud: :cheers:

Louis Tully

• Offline Offline
  • Maker of janky stuffs.
I am loving this build. Mine is almost playable.

This ^^ is so true

Sweet! I'm looking forward to seeing it.

This build is already several different kinds of awesome.  Keep it up!  :applaud: :cheers:
You're too kind, man. Thank you.

Louis Tully

• Offline Offline
  • Maker of janky stuffs.
The buttons arrived yesterday and they're awesome but next to the barbell I've got now, they look too big. So, my next goal is to find a larger balltop. I'll hit the local tattoo shops soon and see what I can find. The dowel work went well but was a little stressful.

Not much room for this guy.

« Last Edit: August 05, 2013, 06:25:18 am by Louis Tully »

Hornet

• Offline Offline
    • Camera Restoration Materials
That my friend is one hell of a cool little project. I take my hat off to you for your vision and skills.  :afro:
ME- Its a bartop.
WIFE- But we don't have a bar.
ME- That's my next project! ;-)

Yvan256

• Offline Offline
    • Yvan256
Very cool so far, I can't wait to see it completed!

TheShaner

• Offline Offline
  • Shut your noise tube filthy Taco Human!
How are you going to hand the boot on this?  Is it still running the DS OS?  It would obviously be nice if you could get it to boot straight to the emulator. 

Louis Tully

• Offline Offline
  • Maker of janky stuffs.
That my friend is one hell of a cool little project. I take my hat off to you for your vision and skills.  :afro:
Very cool so far, I can't wait to see it completed!

:cheers: Here's to hoping I don't fat-hand it and accidentally break something.

How are you going to hand the boot on this?  Is it still running the DS OS?  It would obviously be nice if you could get it to boot straight to the emulator. 

It shouldn't be too clunky. The DS isn't hacked or anything. It's running DS games. Shouldn't be much more than powering it on, waiting for the game intro stuff and then hit start, select a game and go.

Louis Tully

• Offline Offline
  • Maker of janky stuffs.
Tiny Galaga - 1" x 3" marquee and retainers are in. 6/30
« Reply #45 on: June 30, 2013, 12:50:21 pm »
I had to print a quick and dirty marquee just to see how it fits and I dig it.

It took me a minute to build up the nerve to sand this panel after having it fit so well. I'd hate to have to make another. It made it out ok though.

I found some thick plastic package on the floor at work, I think it's from an OEM DVD drive. It's that packaging stuff that's a pain in the ass to open and if you're not careful, it'll cut you. It made for a perfect marquee plexiglass type of thing.

Test art.

I've got to file the bottom retainer a little more on the left side, not too much though.

Jigenjuke

• Offline Offline
Re: Tiny Galaga - 1" x 3" marquee and retainers are in. 6/30
« Reply #46 on: June 30, 2013, 07:17:49 pm »
Hey there LT,

It is coming together very nice.  At first I was wondering how the 5mm MDF was going to look.  I thought that it might be a little too thick.  The CPO/Bezel looks awesome!  I also like your mini marquee.  Are you going to create faux t-molding?

Jigenjuke

danny_galaga

• Grand high prophet of the holy noodle.
  • Offline Offline
  • because the mail never stops
    • dans cocktail lounge
« Reply #47 on: July 01, 2013, 06:56:28 am »

Nice work man. Love how you went with steel for the CP (",)

ROUGHING UP THE SUSPECT SINCE 1981

Louis Tully

• Offline Offline
  • Maker of janky stuffs.
« Reply #48 on: July 01, 2013, 03:59:13 pm »
Hey there LT,

It is coming together very nice.  At first I was wondering how the 5mm MDF was going to look.  I thought that it might be a little too thick.  The CPO/Bezel looks awesome!  I also like your mini marquee.  Are you going to create faux t-molding?

Jigenjuke
When I was still just rolling the idea around in my head, I was thinking of using 1/2" MDF. But the 1/4" is just about right. I haven't really given t-molding much thought yet. Aside from the artwork, this cab is black so rounding the corners and edges might be good enough.

Nice work man. Love how you went with steel for the CP (",)
Thanks, Mr. G. I wasn't sure it was going to pan out with the metal. So far, it's working. All I've got to do is attach the monitor and all should be set.

Louis Tully

• Offline Offline
  • Maker of janky stuffs.
I spent a good hour trying to make these bolts look as similar as possible. They're good enough for me. After a few coats of paint, they're be fine. I found larger barbell ends at the mall, 2 for $5. The balltop could be a little larger but this is the best I'm going to find. It's definitely better than the previous balltop. I'm going to make the joystick a bit taller. I dig these buttons. The whole setup has a good feel. Still have to drill for the start button.

There wasn't much sleep to be had last night. Lots and lots of house rocking thunder. The whole neighborhood lost power from 2am-5am. I've been up since 2am. I think the remainder of the day will go to Lego-fest, cartoon-fest and whatever other fests the little boss wants.

More soon. I'm on vacation.

Yvan256

• Offline Offline
    • Yvan256
Have you found 5mm T-molding? Will the marquee be backlit?

Louis Tully

• Offline Offline
  • Maker of janky stuffs.
I haven't found or even looked for t-molding yet. Do you know of a place to get some? 

The marquee will be backlit, yes. I'm going to put a couple of LEDs in the gap between the top and bottom marquee panels.

You can kind of see the little spot where they'll fit, here:

The coin door reject "buttons" will have lights too.

Jigenjuke

• Offline Offline
I haven't found or even looked for t-molding yet. Do you know of a place to get some? 

The marquee will be backlit, yes. I'm going to put a couple of LEDs in the gap between the top and bottom marquee panels.

You can kind of see the little spot where they'll fit, here:

The coin door reject "buttons" will have lights too.

Hey there LT,

I wouldn't worry about the ball top.  I think that it looks great!  If you went for the replica side of things then the buttons would have to be microtac switches and they don't work well enough to be arcade buttons.  I kind of like the buttons you have in the CPO now.  How responsive are they?  Anyway sir, lookin' great!  Keep it up.

Jigenjuke

Louis Tully

• Offline Offline
  • Maker of janky stuffs.
Hey there LT,

I wouldn't worry about the ball top.  I think that it looks great!  If you went for the replica side of things then the buttons would have to be microtac switches and they don't work well enough to be arcade buttons.  I kind of like the buttons you have in the CPO now.  How responsive are they?  Anyway sir, lookin' great!  Keep it up.

Jigenjuke
You're right about the microtac buttons. Their size fits the build well but they're annoying as hell. They're surprisingly loud, too loud for more than a start/coin button setup, for being so small. The player buttons I've got here are really nice. They don't require much force to activate, I like them.

Louis Tully

• Offline Offline
  • Maker of janky stuffs.
Tiny Galaga - some progress and some setbacks 7/7
« Reply #54 on: July 07, 2013, 02:14:10 pm »
Well, I've fudged the bucket, only a little bit though. I had to order new LEDs for the coin door lights because those little RS deals are too dim. So that's on hold for the moment. And I've managed to, somehow, mangle a single trace on that bastard-thin ribbon cable. I don't know how/when I did that but I was bummed last night. I got the control panel temporarily wired up last night to give it a playing test and connecting the monitor was the last thing I did.

:angry:
Scheiße.

I had to figure out a way to connect all of this stuff while allowing access to the cartridge slot. My other DS has, on occasion, required the game to be reseated. My first thought was to attach the DS base to a hinge that, once the back panel was opened, would allow it to swing out far enough to be able to get to the game slot. But that didn't get much traction because this short bastard-thin ribbon cable wouldn't allow it. Using the hinge idea would also allow for charging when needed, but no. So I thought on it for a bit and decided to give it the ole Chicago Screw. Sexy-Time bolts were just the thing. It allows for the entire build to come apart without any hassle. No glue at all. Because the hinge thing wasn't going to work, I went ahead and tapped into the charger port and put a barrel connector on it. I'm still not sure if I'm going to put it on the base panel or the back panel, behind the marquee. It's going to be crowded back there once the speakers are in place. I'm going to cut out a small enough area on the bottom to be able to switch on the DS with a finger or make something that will attach to the power button/slider and have it stick out far through the bottom.

Damn you, cable.

I found a replacement screen on Amazon for just under $10 shipped. That's not bad at all. I think I'm going to seal the cable with a layer of Scotch tape on both sides just for the hell of it. Ghetto laminated for piece of mind.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2013, 09:10:08 pm by Louis Tully »

ron310

• Offline Offline
Tiny Galaga - some progress and some setbacks 7/7
« Reply #55 on: July 07, 2013, 06:08:27 pm »
This thing is awesome on so many levels

CoryBee

• Offline Offline
  • Bopity Boopy
Re: Tiny Galaga - some progress and some setbacks 7/7
« Reply #56 on: July 08, 2013, 01:19:54 am »
Funny we both snagged our ribbon cables.... :banghead:

DaOld Man

• Offline Offline
  • I dont get no respect.
    • Skenny's Outpost
« Reply #57 on: July 08, 2013, 07:14:01 am »
Amazing work LT!!!
If you decide to use T-Molding, I wonder if you could use the stick on T Molding (from T_molding. com), and trimmed it down to the width of your edges?

Louis Tully

• Offline Offline
  • Maker of janky stuffs.
« Reply #58 on: August 10, 2013, 10:27:21 am »
Amazing work LT!!!
If you decide to use T-Molding, I wonder if you could use the stick on T Molding (from T_molding. com), and trimmed it down to the width of your edges?

I don't know what I'll do for t-molding or whatever. Anything I see online looks like it'll be too bulky. I was thinking about trying to sand down the edges a bit and just paint it like there's t-molding. Kind of like what I did for my Antimatter cabinet. I dunno yet. That's a ways away still.

Always good to hear suggestions from you, man.

DaOld Man

• Offline Offline
  • I dont get no respect.
    • Skenny's Outpost
« Reply #59 on: August 10, 2013, 10:37:02 am »
Good to hear from you Ken, I was worried you may have dropped this project.
I cant wait to see how this baby turns out.
Painting the edge will be good, I liked the way your antimatter machine turned out.
Maybe tape the edges and brush on the t molding enamel paint (Im thinking model car paint) to get a thick shiny finish?
Oh well you know what you are doing.

Louis Tully

• Offline Offline
  • Maker of janky stuffs.
Tiny Galaga - *cough - cough* Is this thing on? 8/10
« Reply #60 on: August 10, 2013, 10:57:35 am »
So yeah...

Let's not talk about how I bought a replacement screen for this because I fat-fingered the original screen. Let's not mention that when I connected the new screen, it didn't work. Let's forget that I bought another DS from a coworker and after taking it apart, that screen didn't work in the original DS base with all the wires, nor did it work with the base to which it was previously attached. And never mind that I bought yet another DS from my cousin because I was determined to give it one last try before giving in and calling the whole thing a wash. So I get myself settled in with the 2 little screwdrivers I need to open the DS, a cup of coffee, and good lighting. I'm 90% of the way finished and all that's left to do is roll up the bastard-thin ribbon cable and pass it through this narrow opening in the upper DS case. Right before I lift the lever than clamps it down to the PCB, I notice the metal contacts are facing down. DOWN.

:timebomb: :banghead: :laugh2: :lol  :-[

Let's pretend I haven't been connecting all the newly acquired screens to the original DS base, the one with all the wires, as well as the newly acquired DS bases with the bastard-thin ribbon cables metal contacts down----smurfing----side UP

I think I need to kick my own ass.  :whap

I was worried you may have dropped this project.

.....Oh well you know what you are doing.

No, sir. It is quite clear that I do NOT know what I'm doing.

JDFan

• Offline Offline
Re: Tiny Galaga - *cough* *cough* Is this thing on? 8/10
« Reply #61 on: August 10, 2013, 11:20:53 am »
 :laugh2: :laugh2:

Look at the bright side -- you now have enough screens for a few more builds !

Louis Tully

• Offline Offline
  • Maker of janky stuffs.
« Reply #62 on: August 10, 2013, 11:26:26 am »
:laugh2: :laugh2:

Look at the bright side -- you now have enough screens for a few more builds !

That's true. I've 2 extra DS's total. I really did break the first screen. But I think the bottom screen still powered up, so I might be able to make a project using the GBA slot.

edit: I can't math.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2013, 08:48:54 am by Louis Tully »

CoryBee

• Offline Offline
  • Bopity Boopy
« Reply #63 on: August 10, 2013, 11:48:30 am »
I told you to be careful with them ribbon cables......Didn't expect you to flip them.....

Glad you are still at it at least, see my update on the cocktail.

Louis Tully

• Offline Offline
  • Maker of janky stuffs.
Tiny Galaga - quick video comp. of 9 different games 8/11
« Reply #64 on: August 11, 2013, 09:12:15 am »
I told you to be careful with them ribbon cables......Didn't expect you to flip them.....

Glad you are still at it at least, see my update on the cocktail.

Yeah, I was overdue for a bonehead move.

On the bright side, I've got 2 more DS's. Each with an R4 card to boot for $70 total. Couldn't have begged for a better deal. More mini projects in the future for sure.

« Last Edit: January 09, 2014, 06:33:31 am by Louis Tully »

DaOld Man

• Offline Offline
  • I dont get no respect.
    • Skenny's Outpost
Re: Tiny Galaga - quick video comp. of 9 different games 8/11
« Reply #65 on: August 11, 2013, 10:54:20 am »
 :applaud: :applaud: :applaud:

Now paint that sucker, get the sound going and lets see that baby for all the glory she is!!

Louis Tully

• Offline Offline
  • Maker of janky stuffs.
Tiny Galaga - marquee light 8/14
« Reply #66 on: August 14, 2013, 07:28:14 am »

Now paint that sucker, get the sound going and lets see that baby for all the glory she is!!
Definitely.  :cheers:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I had an idea for a marquee light and tested it out yesterday. I think it turned out ok. It's a little hot on the ends but shouldn't be a problem. It'll look better, once I get things printed on better material.

Here's a thrown together test: fluorescent light style

I've got one of these switches and I want to add it to the bottom of the cab to flip on the marquee/coin return lights. The battery holder fits nicely on the base panel inside. I'll have to add little feet or something to the bottom of the cab to give the switch some space.

Louis Tully

• Offline Offline
  • Maker of janky stuffs.
Tiny Galaga - it lives 8.18
« Reply #67 on: August 18, 2013, 03:05:48 pm »
I should not have put it together. Everyone says not to get them to the playable stages without it being finished.  :(

This thing is a blast. I got it put together yesterday and a couple of dozen people have already played. I took it with me to the comic shop when I went for my holds, I've been telling the owner about it for a little while now. They were having a table top gaming thing and I got swarmed by dorks.  :lol Everyone liked it, even though it's not finished. Some old guy wanted to buy it.

I've got everything in place, aside from the LEDs. I've got them squared away though. The only reason I don't have those set up at this time is because I've got to JB Weld the 25 cent "buttons" to the coin door and I'm too busy goofing around.

Here's a shot of the inserts. It's hard to get a clean picture of them with the red LED blasting my terrible camera. But you get the idea.
I want to get it finished but I don't want to take it apart just yet.

no flash

flash

I used the vent panel from an old Dell Optiplex SX270 for the speaker cover. Printed a marquee that actually fits.

no edits on this one, kinda long
gameplay with audio

Xevious from the start
:47 for Pac Man
1:35 to see the coin up buttons
2:12 for Galaga
3:10 to see the "front-end" on the back-end

« Last Edit: August 18, 2013, 03:08:22 pm by Louis Tully »

DaOld Man

• Offline Offline
  • I dont get no respect.
    • Skenny's Outpost
Re: Tiny Galaga - it lives 8.18
« Reply #68 on: August 18, 2013, 09:40:12 pm »

Louis Tully

• Offline Offline
  • Maker of janky stuffs.
Tiny Galaga - little by little. 9/2
« Reply #69 on: September 02, 2013, 09:12:47 am »
I've been slacking lately. I started a new shift at work though and I'm still adjusting.

The J.B. Weld of the 25's went well enough. I had accidentally filed a bit more away from the metal than I wanted so the Weld actually worked as fuller just as much as adhesive for the number lenses. I should've filed the stuff down a little after it cured but I was all set to get painting. I don't think it looks that bad. No one will be looking too closely, besides me anyway. And you guys of course.

I've taken over the kitchen table so I should be finished with this by the weekend if my wife has any say in it.

« Last Edit: September 02, 2013, 11:36:24 am by Louis Tully »

CoryBee

• Offline Offline
  • Bopity Boopy
Re: Tiny Galaga - little by little. 9/2
« Reply #70 on: September 02, 2013, 09:18:35 am »
I love it! This build single handedly pushes me to finish my cocktail  :laugh:

I keep telling myself I will finish before you because you haven't updated, then you post more....damn haha

Louis Tully

• Offline Offline
  • Maker of janky stuffs.
Tiny Galaga - little by little. And a little more. 10/6
« Reply #71 on: October 05, 2013, 06:21:35 pm »
It's only been a month but it feels much longer. My dad died a few weeks ago. I've not really had to go through this kind of stuff yet. My grandfather died when I was a kid but that's about it, aside from distant relatives I didn't even know. This is ---smurfing--- awful. He was a tough son of a ---smurfette---. We were quite the opposite of close when I was growing up but over the last 3 years we started to click. He split from my mom and mellowed out some. He and I started hanging out occasionally, shooting the ---steaming pile of meadow muffin---, having a few beers, worked on a few projects etc... I'm very happy to have had that but I ---smurfing--- hate it at the same time. 3 years wasn't enough but what can you do, ya know? He was that guy that could take care of anything, aside from electronics. Woodworking/carpentry, plumbing, auto mechanic, and gardening. If something broke he could fix it. And that ---saint's minions--- hands were made up of nothing but green thumbs, I swear.

I miss him.
Cheers, pop.

Sorry for the heavy stuff on a gaming forum, I know I don't contribute all that much but this place is close to me and you guys are awesome. I just felt like saying something about him, I dunno. Call or visit your folks soon, if you can and tell them you love them or do something cool for them that's unexpected. Enough with the feels.

I got some work done on the little Galaga machine today. I still hate painting.

I kind of flubbed one of these a little, the paint smeared because I rushed removing the paper. But it should clean up, hopefully.

This is just the first coat, even though I paint like ---steaming pile of meadow muffin---, I'm going to try and do it right. To the best of my lacking abilities.

I've got all of the horizontal panels, except for the speaker panel and the panel under the marquee glued in place. The speaker & bottom marquee panels, along with the left side will be held in place with those Chicago screws and dry dowels. I'm still building as I go some so the bezel still needs to be ironed out. I'll figure out something.

« Last Edit: October 05, 2013, 06:24:35 pm by Louis Tully »

CoryBee

• Offline Offline
  • Bopity Boopy
Re: Tiny Galaga - little by little. And a little more. 10/6
« Reply #72 on: October 05, 2013, 11:54:49 pm »
Looks great, loving the little marquee retainer, what is it made of? Glad you are getting back to it. I always think of your little guy whenever I am working on my cocktail.

I got another phone for mine and I like it much better, but am saving it for when I go abroad so I have a manageable project in the limited space I will have.

My condolences as well.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2013, 12:02:36 am by CoryBee »

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Offline Offline
  • Boring cabinet is Boring. Not a gamer since 1980.
« Reply #73 on: October 05, 2013, 11:57:59 pm »
My condolences, Louis. Thanks for the reminder.

DaOld Man

• Offline Offline
  • I dont get no respect.
    • Skenny's Outpost
« Reply #74 on: October 06, 2013, 12:09:40 am »
Im sorry for your loss, Louis. But don't give up the Faith.
I lost my father about 35 years ago, and my Mom 16 years ago. I wasn't close to my dad, my mom raised me alone, so of course I miss her more, but still I know what you are going through.
Hang in there man, and holler if you need anything.

Louis Tully

• Offline Offline
  • Maker of janky stuffs.
Re: Tiny Galaga - little by little. And a little more. 10/7
« Reply #75 on: October 07, 2013, 07:32:16 am »
Thanks, fellas. I appreciate it. 

Looks great, loving the little marquee retainer, what is it made of?
It's made of the same sheet metal as the control panel and coin door. It was a ---smurfette--- to make. These are actually attempts 3 & 4. I had to use the vice at work to get them bent just right.

Painting is going well. Well enough anyway.

sanded

sandeded

2nd jacket

I'm wanting to coat this with some polyurethane so it'll withstand some abuse. I tested it on the speaker panel, it doesn't matter if I mess it up because it's got the metal mesh like covering, and it turned out great. So next step is to get a few coats on everything. Then reassembly.

Louis Tully

• Offline Offline
  • Maker of janky stuffs.
Tiny Galaga - painting's done - tossed it together for the hell of it. 10/09
« Reply #76 on: October 09, 2013, 06:17:54 pm »
So far so good. Lots can go wrong still so I'm not getting my hopes up.  :dunno
I had to see what it looks like semi assembled.

The paint looks pretty decent. A solid 7-7.5 out of 10. I put tons of polyurethane on so it should stay black for a little while. The contrast between the metal stuff and the cab color is nice. Next thing is to get to work on the LEDs. 

Louis Tully

• Offline Offline
  • Maker of janky stuffs.
Tiny Galaga - Lights, camera, .... Ok, just lights and camera. 10/12
« Reply #77 on: October 12, 2013, 05:13:47 pm »
I got the lights figured out today. Took a while to get the marquee to not be one big hot spot. I hardly have room for the lights because of the bolt that goes through the top area. I guess that's what I get for not planning everything out 100%. But I got it, so #%$@ it. It works and that's what matters.

lights

DaOld Man

• Offline Offline
  • I dont get no respect.
    • Skenny's Outpost
Re: Tiny Galaga - Lights, camera, ac.... Ok, just lights and camera. 10/12
« Reply #78 on: October 12, 2013, 10:46:33 pm »

Louis Tully

• Offline Offline
  • Maker of janky stuffs.
Tiny Galaga - Finished - Minus the artwork. 10/13
« Reply #79 on: October 13, 2013, 02:46:07 pm »

Still have to figure out where to get the artwork printed and then it'll be finished 100%. But all the actual building/work is done.

I've said before, a few times, that this project is the last one.  :)  But I think as far as arcade projects go, I'm going to take a break. I've been reading up on actual woodworking and I think I want to get into that stuff for a while. I was going to try my hand at selling arcade cabs but I'm too much of a wuss and no one wants to buy an empty arcade machine.

I'll post better pictures and a final video when it's done. I'll have someone with real camera take care of it, my phone doesn't cut it.

Cheers all.
-L

CoryBee

• Offline Offline
  • Bopity Boopy
Re: Tiny Galaga - Finished - Minus the artwork. 10/13
« Reply #80 on: October 13, 2013, 04:29:40 pm »
Noooo! You beat me in finishing your mini!  :angry:

Good job Tully, looks fantastic and hope you continue to build machines and showcase them here.

Rick

• Offline Offline
  • Bartop, Cocktail and Pinball Arcade Cabinets
    • Gameroom Designs Canada
Re: Re: Tiny Galaga - Finished - Minus the artwork. 10/13
« Reply #81 on: October 13, 2013, 05:46:22 pm »

Well, if anyone was going to complain about finishing off playing with their little toy as quickly as possible, it just had to be CoryBee.

;) :lol

While I don't understand the draw of such a small cabinet, the quality of this build is undeniable. Awesome work, man. Awesome work!

matt4949

• Offline Offline
  • Poor Kids Only Got To Watch Video Games
« Reply #82 on: October 13, 2013, 07:16:50 pm »
WICKED AWSOME

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Trade Count: (+53)
  • Offline Offline
  • Globally Moderated
« Reply #83 on: October 13, 2013, 09:01:30 pm »
Pretty great little build. How functional is it, as in, is it easy to control and play?  I thought about doing a micro build but I dont want the worlds greatest paper weight  :angel:

Louis Tully

• Offline Offline
  • Maker of janky stuffs.
Re: Re: Tiny Galaga - Finished - Minus the artwork. 10/13
« Reply #84 on: October 14, 2013, 12:04:40 pm »

Well, if anyone was going to complain about finishing off playing with their little toy as quickly as possible, it just had to be CoryBee.

;) :lol

While I don't understand the draw of such a small cabinet, the quality of this build is undeniable. Awesome work, man. Awesome work!

:duckhunt

Louis Tully

• Offline Offline
  • Maker of janky stuffs.
« Reply #85 on: October 14, 2013, 12:11:34 pm »
Pretty great little build. How functional is it, as in, is it easy to control and play?  I thought about doing a micro build but I dont want the worlds greatest paper weight  :angel:

It's actually quite fluid. I can say that the diagonals are slight weak point. Any 4-way game plays like a dream. Contra, Xevious, and other 8-way games are very playable but you've got to be in that corner if you want it to take. Not really a game breaker, just not as smooth as the others.

In case you didn't see this earlier in the thread.

gameplay with audio

DaOld Man

• Offline Offline
  • I dont get no respect.
    • Skenny's Outpost
« Reply #86 on: October 14, 2013, 12:20:28 pm »
Does it keep high scores?

Louis Tully

• Offline Offline
  • Maker of janky stuffs.
« Reply #87 on: October 14, 2013, 12:58:17 pm »

DaOld Man

• Offline Offline
  • I dont get no respect.
    • Skenny's Outpost

Louis Tully

• Offline Offline
  • Maker of janky stuffs.
Tiny Galaga -Completely Done - tape, sticker maker, & a printer = DIY sideart
« Reply #89 on: October 14, 2013, 07:51:50 pm »
In the spirit of Build Your Own, I tried making my own art sheets. I'm pretty damn happy with it. It pays to have crafty folks in the family. Didn't even know there was a sticker maker in the house.

Just for fun

I like it.

« Last Edit: November 02, 2013, 07:20:58 am by Louis Tully »

DaOld Man

• Offline Offline
  • I dont get no respect.
    • Skenny's Outpost
This turned out very nice.
 :applaud: :applaud: :applaud: :applaud:

Rick

• Offline Offline
  • Bartop, Cocktail and Pinball Arcade Cabinets
    • Gameroom Designs Canada
Gorgeous!

wp34

• Offline Offline
Well done.  This is a really cool build with a lot of neat new ideas.   :applaud:

quizz_kid

• Offline Offline
  • In the year 20XX...
    • http://www.lovehulten.com
Amazing! Can't believe how small that thing is...

jdbailey1206

• Offline Offline
  • Hello pants.
Very slick.  Love the sticker printer.  Where did you find such and odd printer?  Also, unless my feeble brain missed it during the build what is the screen on the back used for?  I've said it before and I'll say it again, kudos to those who do the mini builds.  :applaud:
What's a signature? 

"Honey.  It's called an arcade cabinet.  Not an arcade cupboard."

wp34

• Offline Offline
Looks like you made Hack-a-day.  Congratulations!

http://hackaday.com/2013/10/14/galaga-mini-cabinet-using-a-nintendo-ds/

TopJimmyCooks

• Offline Offline
it's not a sticker printer, the stickers are inkjet printed.  that little machine laminates them with a clear outer covering and the sticky backing so you end up with a smudge resistant sticker.  I have been needing to get one of those for a while.  Perfect for this job. 

Great work and some neat innovations on the joystick restrictor, ets. 

jdbailey1206

• Offline Offline
  • Hello pants.
Thanks Jimmy.  I also assumed he used a cell phone for the build not a DS.  Note to self:  A picture is worth a thousand words.
What's a signature? 

"Honey.  It's called an arcade cabinet.  Not an arcade cupboard."

CoryBee

• Offline Offline
  • Bopity Boopy
oh snap, my boy got on hackaday!

Louis Tully

• Offline Offline
  • Maker of janky stuffs.
 :o  WOW! That's insane. I don't think it's Hack a Day quality but ok. I'm glad this is my last arcade project. Going out on a good note. lol
Thanks guys.

CoryBee

• Offline Offline
  • Bopity Boopy
:o  WOW! That's insane. I don't think it's Hack a Day quality but ok. I'm glad this is my last arcade project. Going out on a good note. lol
Thanks guys.

emphatic

• Offline Offline
  • -"Suck it, Donny!" -"No, YOU suck it.... more".
    • Emphatic's Video Game Collection
This. Is. Awesome.  :cheers:

marioxb

• Offline Offline
No room for a bezel or cpo, huh? Oh well. It's still really cool!

Mungo9000

• Offline Offline
 :applaud: Fantastic. I build "mini" machines but I think that qualifies for "micro". Great work!

Louis Tully

• Offline Offline
  • Maker of janky stuffs.
This. Is. Awesome.  :cheers:
Thank you, sir. I appreciate that.

:applaud: Fantastic. I build "mini" machines but I think that qualifies for "micro". Great work!
Dude! Thank you. If you hadn't linked your build early on, I wouldn't have gotten those awesome (expensive as hell) Electrovision buttons and the control panel would've looked a lot crappier.
Your mini-cabs are great builds.

patrickl

• I cannot know for certain which will be tastiest
  • Offline Offline
  • Yo momma llama
    • PocketGalaga
OMG that's just way cool!  8)

I built a micro Galaga cab myself (or the PocketGalaga forum thread). Apparently already about a decade ago now, but yours is much better. With the lighted coin slots, sturdy metal design and properly functioning joystick..

That balltop joystick idea is brilliant too. I used a nail stuck between two micro switches and a little plastic bead (initially even from silly putty). It did work as far as playing the game though.
This signature is intentionally left blank

05SRT4

• Offline Offline
  • Check out my Pow Pow
Just saw the final build, I originally thought the DS was going to be a bad idea for this project but you nailed it!! Everything looks flawless. I just bought another GP2X so I can start another mini build, you just sparked the fire again.

Great Job!! :applaud:

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29