Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: What to do if you never have the right size T molding  (Read 3357 times)

BobA

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 11, 2018, 09:52:14 pm
  • What Me Worry?
What to do if you never have the right size T molding
« on: May 18, 2013, 05:43:55 pm »
I have been building bartops with 5/8 inch MDF and I ran out of 5/8 inch T molding quite a while ago.   I did however have a box of 3/4 inch T molding left over from a larger cabinet.  I purchased a Freud EB090 hand edge trimmer and it solved my problems with a little work.

The EB090 is made to cut the heat applied edge banding that often finishes furniture pieces

Trims top and bottom of edge banding in one pass
    Cuts a flush or beveled edge
    Spring loaded with replaceable knives
    Manufacturer's 1-year limited warranty
    Covered by Freud's limited one year power tool warranty

I first installed the T molding and tried to trim it.  WRONG!  The edge trimmer does not go around curves as it is made to be used in a straight line.  Most bartops have alot of curves so this tool did not work as it is.

The Solution - Cut a slot for the T molding in a piece of straight 5/8 inch mdf so I can trim the T molding before I apply it to the cabinet.   The T molding is tapped into place with a rubber hammer and then trimmed with the EB 090.   The mdf piece is only a bit over a foot long so the T molding is trimmed and pulled out of the slot so more of the untrimmed T molding can be tapped into place and trimmed.  This goes on about 3 times to give me enough to fit one side of a bartop. 

The edge trimmer is about 1 inch wide and it is squeezed by hand to trim the 3/4 inch to 5/8.  This will also work for other sizes such as 3/4 to 1/2 inch as it fits the wood the T molding is fitted to.

Hope this helps someone.

Angus

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 04, 2024, 11:09:36 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Re: What to do if you never have the right size T molding
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2013, 12:25:16 am »
Thanks for the tip..

Could definately come in handy at some time.

bluemini17

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 06, 2014, 10:26:11 am
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2013, 12:45:28 pm »
Great idea, its hard to get mdf in the UK to fit the imperial molding, now we can just trim  :cheers:

JOHN HOWARD

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 28, 2016, 10:10:17 pm
  • na na na na na na....
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2013, 03:07:58 am »
Looks like a great idea and something I am looking at getting as just like the UK, finding Imperial sizes of MDF is both difficult and expensive. I can't seem to find any of these on eBay nor amazon that are in stock. Can anyone recommend where to buy one or a similar tool?

Cheers

BobA

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 11, 2018, 09:52:14 pm
  • What Me Worry?
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2013, 03:47:20 am »
Don't know where to get it internationally but I got mine in Canada at Home Depot.   Seemed like a regular item.

HD Canada

JOHN HOWARD

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 28, 2016, 10:10:17 pm
  • na na na na na na....
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2013, 05:53:39 pm »
Cheers for that, looks like a trip to Bunnings then