Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: 1/2" MDF or.........  (Read 2865 times)

Richardgregory

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 17, 2021, 01:15:10 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
1/2" MDF or.........
« on: March 12, 2013, 09:23:49 am »
I don't own a router, and just as well, don't have the skillset to be using it :) nor the space to have a proper work area. 

I want to upgrade / reconfig my existing control panel, and with that, to mount my new joystick, I'm going to have to create a recessed square under the wood so that the joystick shaft will be long enough when mounted.  My thinking is that to avoid all the hassle, I'd just use a thinner piece of wood as opposed to the standard 3/4", so I was thinking 1/2" plywood or MDF would  do the trick.  I don't know if it'll matter about the thickness of the wood for a control panel - yes?

Thanks

P.S.  I don't even know if MDF comes in a thinner size other than the traditional 3/4"

Unstupid

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 08, 2021, 08:46:34 am
Re: 1/2" MDF or.........
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2013, 05:47:37 pm »
You can get 1/2" MDf...   1/2" plywood is also an option since you will probably be covering the CP with artwork anyways...  You can also go with a longer joystick shaft too!   ;)

Drnick

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 06, 2023, 01:19:48 pm
  • Plodding Through Life
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2013, 07:14:35 pm »
Or you could have a piece of 1/2" with a piece of 1/4" stuck to the back the 1/4" has relevant holes cut out for joysticks. This obviously gets you back to 3/4 thickness again. I suppose it all depends on the look you have at the moment and if the thinner wood makes any difference to the overall aesthetic. 

Feel free to ignore me tonight I'm just rambling along  :lol :lol

kahlid74

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 01, 2021, 12:42:56 pm
  • Gaming for a better future!
    • GamersAnon
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2013, 10:00:23 am »
I think it also depends on how big the control panel is.  A two player cab 1/2" MDF/Plywood should be fine.  A 4 player cab and 1/2" "should" be fine but you might want to look to 1/2" plywood at that stage.  The larger the surface area the weaker MDF can get.  You could always go with 1/2" MDF on a 4 player and use some posts for support in the middle. 

You've got a lot of options but some require more work or more money.  Identify which you would prefer and then pursue it.