Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: GroovyArcade live-CD 2020  (Read 394810 times)

galaxian77

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 22, 2021, 12:45:59 pm
  • Groovyarcade fan !
    • Arcade Sunday (YouTube)
Re: GroovyArcade live-CD New Release 2016
« Reply #560 on: September 02, 2016, 02:08:57 am »
I just added the new ISO on my vertical cab and noticed an issue with attract mode hanging the whole pc when exiting a game. Works fine with the other frontend. I updated attract mode to the latest version also but it's still the same.

Any ideas?

I am also noticing that any new Cave games seem to fluctuate speed a lot more than they did under Windows. Is that a setting I can change? Usually they are very playable.

Besides that looks awesome. Great work

Yes - I experience this too (FE seems frozen after game exits, and Cave games fluctuate speed - this applies also to Twin Cobra BTW). I'm open to suggestions! See my earlier post - looking to replace the version of GroovyMAME - for the "fluctuating speed" problem...
Check out my home Arcade YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLKl6BrSjDsvCHIL2Blql-A

Still loving the classics, 30+ years later! 5 dedicated MAME cabinets: GroovyArcade, some Arduinos, real CRTs, ATI VGA cards, and some crazy hacks... Love it.

DoogyRev

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 04, 2019, 08:24:49 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #561 on: September 02, 2016, 01:34:21 pm »
I just added the new ISO on my vertical cab and noticed an issue with attract mode hanging the whole pc when exiting a game. Works fine with the other frontend. I updated attract mode to the latest version also but it's still the same.

Any ideas?

I am also noticing that any new Cave games seem to fluctuate speed a lot more than they did under Windows. Is that a setting I can change? Usually they are very playable.

Yes - I experience this too (FE seems frozen after game exits, and Cave games fluctuate speed - this applies also to Twin Cobra BTW). I'm open to suggestions! See my earlier post - looking to replace the version of GroovyMAME - for the "fluctuating speed" problem...

I also experience this with attract mode when it is launched at startup.  It won't respond to keyboard input but I can still Ctrl + Alt + F2 and login to pgrep and kill attract and get back to gasetup.  I have similar issues with Wah!cade but it does respond to mouse clicks and then I can quit with the keyboard.  If I launch any front end from LXDE there are no such issues.

I also had issues with gasetup if I quit the FE/LXDE and then relaunched FE from gasetup, on the second FE quit it hangs gasetup. I have edited the gasetup script a bit to overcome this. Now instead of gasetup launching the FE it exits the shell completely and starts over clean like the initial boot. I can change FE, restart, quit, change, etc to my hearts content.

Regarding GroovyArcade Live-CD New Release 2016:

I've been playing around with this build quite a bit - on two different cabinets (with differing PC specs, and using both ISOs... ie: both the x86 and x64 Linux builds), and love everything about it (ease of use, boot time, the Attract Mode FE - especially) - HOWEVER, I would like to know if it's possible to downgrade the version of GroovyMAME used in the build ? I'm having issues with some games (which worked 100% in the older version of GroovyArcade - presumably using an older version of GroovyMAME?). I've tried to just "drop in / replace" an older version of GroovyMAME (into \usr\bin\.... ) but after recreating the XML (I think I'm doing it right...) games do no load at all - just jumps back to the FE. I also thought it may be the ROM version, but this has been disproven. 

Just to clarify, the modifications I have tried / want to try are to a HDD INSTALLED version of GroovyArcade.

I'm wondering if GroovyArcade (generally) would need to be completely recompiled *with* an older version of GroovyMAME included ? Am I making this more complicated than it is ? Am I going mad ?

I had difficulty when I rebuilt the XML from an upgrade of GroovyMAME.  I'm not sure what I did wrong but I couldn't launch any games from advmenu.  I had to start over.

I have a little tip for experimenting with different versions:
If you rename the groovymame binary groovymameXXX and make a groovymame symlink in its place pointing to groovymameXXX, you can then install any new versions as groovymameYYY, groovymameZZZ, etc.  Now, if you also rename your home folder arcade.orig and make a symlink in its place called arcade.XXX and make a symlink pointing to arcade.XXX just called arcade, you can make copies of arcade.orig called arcade.YYY, arcade.ZZZ, etc. These copies should contain symlinks of all the common files and like .bashrc and .local but you can put any unique files and folders like mame.ini and bgfx in the copy.  Once you have all this set up you can switch mame version simply by changing the two links' targets from groovymame -> groovymameXXX and arcade -> arcade.XXX to groovymameYYY and arcade.YYY.

It is a bit of hassle to set up but once it's done it's very convenient.  It lets you muck around with settings, etc. without worrying about wrecking too much, as long as it isn't a linked file you muck up (you could make an arcade.bak folder as well). I have written a bash script to change versions just by running "chmamever XXX" it also contains more detailed instructions for setting it all up.  I even mad a short script to replace any file or folder in the newly copied arcade.XXX folder with a link to arcade.orig with a simple command as well.  I can post them if you want to give it a go.

galaxian77

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 22, 2021, 12:45:59 pm
  • Groovyarcade fan !
    • Arcade Sunday (YouTube)
« Reply #562 on: September 03, 2016, 01:44:56 pm »

Any ideas?

I also experience this with attract mode when it is launched at startup.  It won't respond to keyboard input but I can still Ctrl + Alt + F2 and login to pgrep and kill attract and get back to gasetup.  I have similar issues with Wah!cade but it does respond to mouse clicks and then I can quit with the keyboard.  If I launch any front end from LXDE there are no such issues.

I also had issues with gasetup if I quit the FE/LXDE and then relaunched FE from gasetup, on the second FE quit it hangs gasetup. I have edited the gasetup script a bit to overcome this. Now instead of gasetup launching the FE it exits the shell completely and starts over clean like the initial boot. I can change FE, restart, quit, change, etc to my hearts content.

Regarding GroovyArcade Live-CD New Release 2016:

I've been playing around with this build quite a bit - on two different cabinets (with differing PC specs, and using both ISOs... ie: both the x86 and x64 Linux builds), and love everything about it (ease of use, boot time, the Attract Mode FE - especially) - HOWEVER, I would like to know if it's possible to downgrade the version of GroovyMAME used in the build ? I'm having issues with some games (which worked 100% in the older version of GroovyArcade - presumably using an older version of GroovyMAME?). I've tried to just "drop in / replace" an older version of GroovyMAME (into \usr\bin\.... ) but after recreating the XML (I think I'm doing it right...) games do no load at all - just jumps back to the FE. I also thought it may be the ROM version, but this has been disproven. 

Just to clarify, the modifications I have tried / want to try are to a HDD INSTALLED version of GroovyArcade.

I'm wondering if GroovyArcade (generally) would need to be completely recompiled *with* an older version of GroovyMAME included ? Am I making this more complicated than it is ? Am I going mad ?

I had difficulty when I rebuilt the XML from an upgrade of GroovyMAME.  I'm not sure what I did wrong but I couldn't launch any games from advmenu.  I had to start over.

I have a little tip for experimenting with different versions:
If you rename the groovymame binary groovymameXXX and make a groovymame symlink in its place pointing to groovymameXXX, you can then install any new versions as groovymameYYY, groovymameZZZ, etc.  Now, if you also rename your home folder arcade.orig and make a symlink in its place called arcade.XXX and make a symlink pointing to arcade.XXX just called arcade, you can make copies of arcade.orig called arcade.YYY, arcade.ZZZ, etc. These copies should contain symlinks of all the common files and like .bashrc and .local but you can put any unique files and folders like mame.ini and bgfx in the copy.  Once you have all this set up you can switch mame version simply by changing the two links' targets from groovymame -> groovymameXXX and arcade -> arcade.XXX to groovymameYYY and arcade.YYY.

It is a bit of hassle to set up but once it's done it's very convenient.  It lets you muck around with settings, etc. without worrying about wrecking too much, as long as it isn't a linked file you muck up (you could make an arcade.bak folder as well). I have written a bash script to change versions just by running "chmamever XXX" it also contains more detailed instructions for setting it all up.  I even mad a short script to replace any file or folder in the newly copied arcade.XXX folder with a link to arcade.orig with a simple command as well.  I can post them if you want to give it a go.

Thanks Doogyrev. I'd definitely give your script a try if you're willing to post them. I like what you're describing here. Your method would help a LOT for troubleshooting...
Check out my home Arcade YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLKl6BrSjDsvCHIL2Blql-A

Still loving the classics, 30+ years later! 5 dedicated MAME cabinets: GroovyArcade, some Arduinos, real CRTs, ATI VGA cards, and some crazy hacks... Love it.

ozfalcon

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 07, 2022, 04:55:03 am
  • ZSystem
« Reply #563 on: September 03, 2016, 05:51:30 pm »
It's highly advised to use a "Wrapper" script for your Mame executable.

As DoogyRev mentioned,
AdvMenu will detect your EXE has changed -- But if you use a Wrapper script -- You can avoid that inconvenience.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2016, 05:53:47 pm by ozfalcon »

ves

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 11, 2020, 02:57:49 am
« Reply #564 on: September 04, 2016, 05:49:00 pm »
Do not you think it's better you configure a second emulator, How to mame170.....?

ozfalcon

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 07, 2022, 04:55:03 am
  • ZSystem
« Reply #565 on: September 05, 2016, 12:47:07 am »
Do not you think it's better you configure a second emulator, How to mame170.....?

Yes, If your running different versions of Mame, Then multiple emulators should be set up in AdvMenu.
Though I have not done so, So I'm not sure how multiple mame.xml files or using "generic" setups affects listings.

DoogyRev

• Offline Offline
« Reply #566 on: September 05, 2016, 03:24:16 pm »
Hey DoogyRev, nice one for confirming about 176. I've just got around to testing what you mentioned in an earlier post, replacing the wimote version with standard and can confirm that the spinner works flawlessly now excellent call!!.. In terms of multimouse I'm afraid I only have the one set up on my system so can't help you with that. I'm sure someone else from the community will chip in at some point. Maybe try PM Ves and asking.

I had another idea which was to run one or both of the following before launching the groovymame wiimote version:

export SDL_MOUSE_RELATIVE_MODE_WARP=1
export SDL_XINPUT=1

I suppose you're on .177 now so it's probably not worth investigating.  Now if only I could find the SDL_MAKE_MULTIMOUSE_WORK_PROPERLY variable...
« Last Edit: September 06, 2016, 04:14:15 pm by DoogyRev »

lacanian

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 06, 2021, 06:59:26 am
  • Go FightCade!
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,143714.0.html
« Reply #567 on: September 09, 2016, 06:33:44 pm »
I'm having some issues booting into GroovyArcade after it has been installed. My system is a Sega Astro City with a HD 4550 card. The card has a DVI port and a display port.
After the installation everything just goes black

Here is an unlisted unedited video that will be removed once the problem has been solved. It will be replaced with a tutorial on how to install.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

lacanian

• Offline Offline
  • Go FightCade!
« Reply #568 on: September 10, 2016, 11:24:11 am »
I ended up solving the installation issue.
My HDD was using GPT. I moved it to MBR.
When I booted into another Linux distro to destroy my partitions and reinstalled everything worked!

Now I'm onto solving why X isn't loading.

ves

• Offline Offline
« Reply #569 on: September 10, 2016, 04:08:29 pm »
Thank you for log and report solution.

You can use cfdisk from GA to remove partitions, although I have to solve a small problem in them.

Small fix for usb2joy joystick.

32x
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B0NB2HYUHHktbEVOOXQwMDFTZDA
64x
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B0NB2HYUHHktR2N1cTQtaUVCSE0

Download files "usbhid.ko.gz and FixUsb2Joy.sh"

You can apply fix manually

cp usbhid.ko.gz /lib/modules/4.6.3-1-ARCH/kernel/drivers/hid/usbhid/usbhid.ko.gz

Or running the scripts

sh FixUsb2Joy.sh
« Last Edit: September 10, 2016, 05:46:10 pm by ves »

ves

• Offline Offline
« Reply #570 on: September 10, 2016, 07:28:45 pm »
Hi, we have a new version groovymame 177.

lacanian

• Offline Offline
  • Go FightCade!
« Reply #571 on: September 11, 2016, 04:47:49 am »
If you have a 15kHz setup running can you please post your xorg.conf. I've been troubleshooting all weekend and couldn't solve why X would load. Thanks for the help

/var/log/Xorg.0.log - http://pastebin.com/zxFfCn4g
/etc/X11/xorg.conf - http://pastebin.com/FJUVWn2E

ves

• Offline Offline
« Reply #572 on: September 11, 2016, 05:32:12 am »
Hello lacanian.

what problems do you have?
I can see you're using a Hp pc and port dvi (log xorg.conf), but you choose your settings vga port.

Try selecting the option dvi-0, or another option to disable integrated vga.

lacanian

• Offline Offline
  • Go FightCade!
« Reply #573 on: September 12, 2016, 01:54:04 am »
Vi Ves,
 The problem is X doesn't start.

Yes thats right. The HD5440 only has a display port and and DVI port.
When you said I chose the VGA port where did you see that ? I will try again however, I thought everything I was selected was DVI. For example the xorg.conf is configured for DVI-0.

Should grub be updated the video line is.  video=DVI-I-1 to  video=DVI-I-0?

[  1757.959] Kernel command line: BOOT_IMAGE=../vmlinuz-linux root=/dev/disk/by-label/GA  rw quiet rd.udev.log-priority=3 splash vga=0x311 video=DVI-I-1:640x480ec initrd=../initramfs-linux.img

Thanks for the help Ves.

ves

• Offline Offline
« Reply #574 on: September 15, 2016, 08:54:34 am »
Hi lacanian.

Syslinux(grub) is not the problem.

I thought you had selected the option VGA in the video.

When GroovyArcade start, try to switch to another ttyxxxx.
Ctr+alt+F1,2,3.

If you can access another tty, change port dvi-x(0,1,2) from xorg.conf

Before run these commands and show results.

xrandr -q

xrandr -display 0:0

b4nd1t0

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 19, 2024, 10:28:39 am
    • b4nd1t0's repository
« Reply #575 on: September 26, 2016, 03:50:43 pm »
hello, there is something new about the attract mode hang when exiting a game?

ves

• Offline Offline
« Reply #576 on: September 26, 2016, 04:39:13 pm »
Hello, I have solved soon fix live cd

DoogyRev

• Offline Offline
« Reply #577 on: October 05, 2016, 03:35:41 pm »
Hello, I have solved soon fix live cd

Fantastic, thanks Ves!

What caused it?

jan25th

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 22, 2021, 05:53:44 pm
  • Long time lurker
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,147244.0.html
« Reply #578 on: October 08, 2016, 04:38:41 pm »
I am also experiencing the hang after exiting a game from AttractMode. Looking forward to a fix. Am loving the system otherwise ....  :cheers:

BlackLighted

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 12, 2016, 02:47:40 am
GroovyArcade -GroovyUME
« Reply #579 on: October 11, 2016, 02:26:13 pm »
Hey guys I'm creating my first retro with GroovyArcade, it's been a long time since I started and suspended the proyect for a while. Now I need AdvMenu to run the MAME games from UME instead of GroovyMAME or AdvanceMame, since any other emulator would freeeze my retro. Could someone please point me out where are the files to modify the AdvMenu paths and where does the UME is installed by default?

MK

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 18, 2021, 05:34:16 pm
« Reply #580 on: October 11, 2016, 05:36:41 pm »
Could someone please point me out where are the files to modify the AdvMenu paths

Read AdvanceMENU's documentation, it's all there (very well written docs).

Francesco

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 18, 2020, 04:26:54 am
« Reply #581 on: October 15, 2016, 10:57:51 am »
What's happened to google drive?

Clicking the first link GroovyArcade live-CD Release 2016 ( https://e283dc88d509e5765cdd425ef94c1edb72be4a8f.googledrive.com/host/0B0NB2HYUHHktUFZXTWJfbHpzUlE/ ) i obtain 404 not found on google drive :(

Thank you!

ckong

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 19, 2020, 06:48:09 pm
  • Retro Games forever!
« Reply #582 on: October 24, 2016, 04:19:18 am »
What's happened to google drive?

Clicking the first link GroovyArcade live-CD Release 2016 ( https://e283dc88d509e5765cdd425ef94c1edb72be4a8f.googledrive.com/host/0B0NB2HYUHHktUFZXTWJfbHpzUlE/ ) i obtain 404 not found on google drive :(

Thank you!

The same goes for the Groovy wiki, dead link. Can someone take a look at this? Thx.

ves

• Offline Offline
« Reply #583 on: October 24, 2016, 05:53:49 am »

ckong

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 19, 2020, 06:48:09 pm
  • Retro Games forever!
« Reply #584 on: October 24, 2016, 06:46:34 am »
 :applaud:  thanks.  :)

pelanas

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 17, 2016, 04:50:24 am
  • Love classics
« Reply #585 on: October 24, 2016, 11:38:38 am »
thanks but I can't find today's release! :embarassed:

jan25th

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 22, 2021, 05:53:44 pm
  • Long time lurker
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,147244.0.html
« Reply #586 on: October 27, 2016, 01:16:49 pm »
Ditto. The latest release I can see is 2016-07-02

lv128

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 10, 2016, 06:44:04 pm
« Reply #587 on: November 02, 2016, 12:33:27 pm »
I was hoping I wouldn't have to post and just happily play games on my arcade cab, but I'm wondering if I need to be concerned about a particular error that pops every time I switch to and from a console/frontend (ctrl + alt +f2, etc)
nouveau 0000:01:00.00 disp: ERROR 4 [INVALID_VALUE] 84 [] chid 0 mthd 828 data 004c9bf

I think it could be related to the driver, or the specific card I'm using which is a GT330
It's a basic piece of junk card, but out of all that I had, both nvidia and ATI, it's the ONLY one that would switch into 15khz, all the others just gave a black screen after the initial boot screens.

Otherwise Attract Mode works, so as far as I can tell, it seems to be running games, and switching resolutions, I'm wondering if it's going to give me problems with any 3d or hardware accelerated games, since if I change to complete software mode (not ideal) I have no issues. Will this segfault crash any accelerated games?

DistWave

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 09, 2019, 05:30:07 am
« Reply #588 on: November 11, 2016, 07:29:56 pm »
First of all thank you very much for creating the GroovyArcade linux distro, it is really great!

We installed the 2016.07.02 version in two cabinets from ARPA (one horizontal and another vertical) and we carried them to RetroBarcelona 2016. Both machines were working the four days during entire expo but we found a bug: after two hours and a half playing the same game, GroovyMame 0.171 starts to slow down, soon after the game starts to get stuck and finally it hangs. Maybe a memory leak somewhere? Going back to the frontend and starting the game again fixes the problem for the next two hours and a half...

pelanas

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 17, 2016, 04:50:24 am
  • Love classics
« Reply #589 on: November 14, 2016, 04:57:17 am »
I have installed to HD the latest iso from USB(mame .171). Installation is ok but after finishing something about emegency mode is displayed:

“Welcome to emergency mode! After logging in, type “journalctl -b” to view system logs, “systemctl reboot” to reboot, “systemctl default” to try ..."

After that I can login as root with password "arcade" and launch gasetup and frontend. But system does not boot directly to frontend. What can be the problem. Note previous version was working without problems.
Thanks in advance and great work.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2016, 04:40:51 am by pelanas »

tombo

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 27, 2018, 09:04:29 pm
  • GROOVY IS KEY
« Reply #590 on: November 18, 2016, 10:28:09 am »
Hi DistWave

The 2.5 hours slowdown bug you're experiencing is covered earlier in this thread starting here:
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,130667.msg1492892.html#msg1492892

I have learnt that it doesn't appear when GA is built with NO_USE_XINPUT = 1.

Someone named Doozer on this thread has offered a recent build of GA with NO_USE_XINPUT = 1 for me to try, however I never replaced this on my arcade cab because as a Linux dummy, I was way too scared to break my otherwise perfectly running setup:

I am running Groovy Arcade Linux from the Live-CD 2013-02-24 installed to disk on my arcade cab. Everything is tweaked nicely in GA Setup and AdvanceMENU, my favorite games have tweaked dip settings (cocktail table) and saved highscores.

If I were to replace my GA executable with a newer version GA executable including NO_USE_XINPUT = 1, would this break my setup? I am thinking of issues with a new MAME.XML being created, new ROM definitions, GA-setup and config-files no longer matching, etc.

Or am I just being paranoid? Looking forward to hearing your opinions on this.
CRT + GROOVY MAME = REAL ARCADE FEELING

DoogyRev

• Offline Offline
« Reply #591 on: November 23, 2016, 01:30:04 pm »
If you are that worried you can rename the current binary to groovymame.orig and copy the alternative version in as groovymame.alt. Then you can make a symlink named groovymame in the same folder pointing to the version you want to use.

Hi DistWave

The 2.5 hours slowdown bug you're experiencing is covered earlier in this thread starting here:
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,130667.msg1492892.html#msg1492892

I have learnt that it doesn't appear when GA is built with NO_USE_XINPUT = 1.

Someone named Doozer on this thread has offered a recent build of GA with NO_USE_XINPUT = 1 for me to try, however I never replaced this on my arcade cab because as a Linux dummy, I was way too scared to break my otherwise perfectly running setup:

I am running Groovy Arcade Linux from the Live-CD 2013-02-24 installed to disk on my arcade cab. Everything is tweaked nicely in GA Setup and AdvanceMENU, my favorite games have tweaked dip settings (cocktail table) and saved highscores.

If I were to replace my GA executable with a newer version GA executable including NO_USE_XINPUT = 1, would this break my setup? I am thinking of issues with a new MAME.XML being created, new ROM definitions, GA-setup and config-files no longer matching, etc.

Or am I just being paranoid? Looking forward to hearing your opinions on this.

qseventeen

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 03, 2021, 11:47:16 am
« Reply #592 on: November 23, 2016, 07:32:07 pm »
If you are that worried you can rename the current binary to groovymame.orig and copy the alternative version in as groovymame.alt. Then you can make a symlink named groovymame in the same folder pointing to the version you want to use.

@tumbo

I wouldn't be too worried about breaking your set up, as DoogyRev mentioned, you can keep a copy of the old binary.  You did mention that you were new the Linux, so in case it is helpful to you (and others), I thought I'd add a bit more detail to DoogyRev's suggestion.

You have two methods to log in and interact with the filesystem: from your GroovyArcade cabinet itself or via ssh from another computer.  I personally prefer the latter as I can use my desktop to transfer files to and from GroovyArcade a bit easier.  Since you've presumably loaded your cabinet with games, I'll assume you've gotten the file transfer part of this down and have your new gasetup binary on your cabinet.  Let me know if you need more information on that though.

To log in via your GroovyArcade cabinet, press CTRL-ALT-F2.  You'll get a GroovyArcade log in prompt where you can log in as the arcade user using the password you provided during your initial set up.

To log in via ssh, first make sure your network is set up via gasetup and then use your favorite ssh client (personally I use Putty) and connect to host name arcade@<ipAddress>, using the ip address of your GroovyArcade cabinet.  The easiest way to find this is via your router which should identify your cabinet as "GroovyArcade".  Your ssh client should give you an identical prompt to log into GroovyArcade via the arcade user and the password from the initial set up.

Now that you're logged in, binaries are stored in this location: /usr/local/bin.  Let's start by entering that directory:

Code: [Select]
[arcade@GroovyArcade ~]$ cd /usr/local/bin

Now, let's return to DoogyRev's advice. First, let's rename the existing binary to gasetup.orig:

[arcade@GroovyArcade bin]$ sudo mv gasetup gasetup.orig

Next, let's copy in your new binary (you'll need specify the path in which you copied it):

[arcade@GroovyArcade bin]$ sudo cp /path/to/binary/gasetup ./gasetup.alt

Now, let's create that symbolic link:

[arcade@GroovyArcade bin]$ sudo ln -s gasetup.alt gasetup

Finally, let's ensure the arcade user can execute this new binary:

[arcade@GroovyArcade bin]$ sudo chmod 777 gasetup.alt

You can then test out your new binary by using the command:

[arcade@GroovyArcade bin]$ sudo ./gasetup

If you need to revert your changes, simply remove the existing symbolic link and replace it with one pointing back to the old binary:

[arcade@GroovyArcade bin]$ sudo rm gasetup
[arcade@GroovyArcade bin]$ sudo ln -s gasetup.orig gasetup

I hope this helps.  Let me know if  you need more detail.  I know linux can be intimidating at first.

Many thanks to the GroovyArcade and GroovyMAME devs, you guys have done some awesome work here.

qseventeen

• Offline Offline
« Reply #593 on: November 23, 2016, 07:42:05 pm »
I am also experiencing the hang after exiting a game from AttractMode. Looking forward to a fix. Am loving the system otherwise ....  :cheers:

I'm not sure if this is the same issue, but I noticed that GroovyArcade didn't return focus back to AttractMode after exiting a game.  I changed the Window Mode to be Fullscreen and set Mutiple Monitors to No in the General Settings and that seemed to do the trick for me.  It was probably just the Window Mode, but I wasn't using multiple monitors so I went ahead and disabled that too.

gg339

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 20, 2020, 07:11:35 am
« Reply #594 on: November 24, 2016, 08:49:54 am »
@tumbo

I've just come across GroovyArcade in the last few weeks, and I also struggled (struggle) as a Linux novice with some concepts - especially those of symbolic links, dependencies and many others.

I have an old NBA Jam cabinet with a K7000 monitor, which was, until a week ago, running Windows XP and MAME 0.117 and an AVGA5000 card. It mostly satisfied me, and I learned to live with the tearing in Wonderboy, and slowdowns in other games. However, when the hard drive went kaput in this machine, I decided to rebuild and tried GroovyArcade 2016-07-02.

I had many issues, mostly self-inflicted, and rebuilt the machine many many times when I made a mistake and locked myself out or screwed up ini or sh files.

At this point I've gotten around many of the issues that I had at the outset (no wifi, getting emergency mode when rebooting after installing etc), and have a good working cabinet with groovymame 0.171.
Many of the games I play are older, and I'm not too worried about neo-geo or new games, but I have issues with my spinner in Arkanoid, and speed problems in Kung Fu Master.

So I decided to start messing about with different GM versions and trying to find one that fitted what I was looking for. I thus have downloaded (and copied) practically every GM version from 0.151 to 0.179 into my /usr/local/bin folder, each named groovymame.1xx. I then rename any particular one to groovymame and test my games.

I mention all of this in the context of trying to show that I, as a linux know-nothing, have changed and messed with various versions of GM, as you have asked about. I will however say that all this is only for my benefit, and I'm sure many many more knowledgeable users than I on this forum may point to errors in what I'm doing, as I don't know any of the other variables that me doing this might cause (for me not that many).
I only came to the conclusion lastnight that different GM versions bring/remove different options in mame.ini, and as such I've now taken to recreating mame.ini with each version change og GM I do to ensure I have the correct options to use/change if I so need. I don't know if this process is flawed or not - others might advise.

For me at this point it's a double-edged sword with respect to GM versions. I find that GM 0.153 works perfectly for all the games I use except Arkanoid (spinner) - Kung Fu Master is back to speed, all screens are good, the no-nag entry in mame.ini works etc. However, for me to get the spinner working in Arkanoid means I have to use version 0.177, 0.178 or 0.179, but this breaks Kung Fu Master (speed and slowdown issues return). I think (from reading lots of threads here) this is due to the No_use_XInput built into older versions of GM. I did try some of the newer versions with the wiimote removed (or the no x imput added), but these were versions around the 0.161 on, which had issues with Kung Fu Master sounds  - Due I believe to a change in the emulation of sound in Irem games.

So for me to get a version of GM that does what I would like means essentially I think getting a 0.153 version of GM 64-bit Linux that has no-X-input fix, and all my games should work. So I'm now trying to research how I can begin to compile my own version and how to go about it (athhough Ive no clue).

I hope maybe from this you will see that even a complete novice with GA can make some inroads, and even learn some stuff in the process - I certainly know more now than I did a week ago.
Overall GA, and GM beat any MAME emulator I have used over the years for sheer smoothness and playability on CRT cabinets, and I'll certainly not be going backwards from it. The people who developed it, and those knowledgeable folks here on these forums who give advice are to be commended in my opinion for their fantastic work - long may it continue!

Apologies for the long post - maybe it will help

DoogyRev

• Offline Offline
« Reply #595 on: November 27, 2016, 12:37:20 pm »
You need to make sure you have a proper groovymame.ini (mame.ini) for each version as well. It is supposed to be able to detect the correct file if you have, for example, groovymame.171 and groovymame.177 you should also have a groovymame.171.ini and groovymame.177.ini in your home folder. Note that each new ini version should be generated by the respective binary and modified individually and not be a modified copy of the last one.

I couldn't quite get this to work so I resorted to making copies of the arcade user's home folder called arcade.171, arcade.177, etc. with a symlink in the home directory pointing to the active version (arcade -> arcade.177). I actually made a little script that changes the symlinks in both locations.

I type:

chmamever 177

and it makes arcade home directory symlink /home/arcade point to arcade.177
and it makes the groovymame symlink /usr/bin/ or wherever it is, point to groovymame.177

It's handy for rolling back and starting again after you've mucked up settings or other things.

@tumbo

I've just come across GroovyArcade in the last few weeks, and I also struggled (struggle) as a Linux novice with some concepts - especially those of symbolic links, dependencies and many others.

I have an old NBA Jam cabinet with a K7000 monitor, which was, until a week ago, running Windows XP and MAME 0.117 and an AVGA5000 card. It mostly satisfied me, and I learned to live with the tearing in Wonderboy, and slowdowns in other games. However, when the hard drive went kaput in this machine, I decided to rebuild and tried GroovyArcade 2016-07-02.

I had many issues, mostly self-inflicted, and rebuilt the machine many many times when I made a mistake and locked myself out or screwed up ini or sh files.

At this point I've gotten around many of the issues that I had at the outset (no wifi, getting emergency mode when rebooting after installing etc), and have a good working cabinet with groovymame 0.171.
Many of the games I play are older, and I'm not too worried about neo-geo or new games, but I have issues with my spinner in Arkanoid, and speed problems in Kung Fu Master.

So I decided to start messing about with different GM versions and trying to find one that fitted what I was looking for. I thus have downloaded (and copied) practically every GM version from 0.151 to 0.179 into my /usr/local/bin folder, each named groovymame.1xx. I then rename any particular one to groovymame and test my games.

I mention all of this in the context of trying to show that I, as a linux know-nothing, have changed and messed with various versions of GM, as you have asked about. I will however say that all this is only for my benefit, and I'm sure many many more knowledgeable users than I on this forum may point to errors in what I'm doing, as I don't know any of the other variables that me doing this might cause (for me not that many).
I only came to the conclusion lastnight that different GM versions bring/remove different options in mame.ini, and as such I've now taken to recreating mame.ini with each version change og GM I do to ensure I have the correct options to use/change if I so need. I don't know if this process is flawed or not - others might advise.

For me at this point it's a double-edged sword with respect to GM versions. I find that GM 0.153 works perfectly for all the games I use except Arkanoid (spinner) - Kung Fu Master is back to speed, all screens are good, the no-nag entry in mame.ini works etc. However, for me to get the spinner working in Arkanoid means I have to use version 0.177, 0.178 or 0.179, but this breaks Kung Fu Master (speed and slowdown issues return). I think (from reading lots of threads here) this is due to the No_use_XInput built into older versions of GM. I did try some of the newer versions with the wiimote removed (or the no x imput added), but these were versions around the 0.161 on, which had issues with Kung Fu Master sounds  - Due I believe to a change in the emulation of sound in Irem games.

So for me to get a version of GM that does what I would like means essentially I think getting a 0.153 version of GM 64-bit Linux that has no-X-input fix, and all my games should work. So I'm now trying to research how I can begin to compile my own version and how to go about it (athhough Ive no clue).

I hope maybe from this you will see that even a complete novice with GA can make some inroads, and even learn some stuff in the process - I certainly know more now than I did a week ago.
Overall GA, and GM beat any MAME emulator I have used over the years for sheer smoothness and playability on CRT cabinets, and I'll certainly not be going backwards from it. The people who developed it, and those knowledgeable folks here on these forums who give advice are to be commended in my opinion for their fantastic work - long may it continue!

Apologies for the long post - maybe it will help

EDIT:

PS I'd recommend ditching the ArcadeVGA, getting an HD6450 or similar and flashing it with Calamity's flashing utility.  Then you can dual boot your machine with Windows and run both versions of groovymame.  I have had to put GA on the back burner because the Linux version of MAME can't handle multiple keyboards or mouses. I've managed to get Win 7 to boot directly into Attract Mode and it's hard to tell the difference. In fact, Windows has a couple of advantages for me in that WinUAE is my favorite emulator and I've got it running perfectly with Attract Mode, WHDLoad, CD32, interlaced, progressive, the lot!

I'll never remove GA, though, and when multimouse works for Linux I'll use both.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2016, 12:54:00 pm by DoogyRev »

DoogyRev

• Offline Offline
« Reply #596 on: November 27, 2016, 01:11:23 pm »
I think it is the groovymame binaries he was meaning, not gasetup.  I have made a couple of tweaks to gasetup (I took out the HD install menu for installed systems and tried to work around a bug) but I'm not sure you can use it to affect the NO_USE_XINPUT tag in groovymame.  I think this needs to be compiled in but it may work with an environment variable.

@tumbo

I wouldn't be too worried about breaking your set up, as DoogyRev mentioned, you can keep a copy of the old binary.  You did mention that you were new the Linux, so in case it is helpful to you (and others), I thought I'd add a bit more detail to DoogyRev's suggestion.

You have two methods to log in and interact with the filesystem: from your GroovyArcade cabinet itself or via ssh from another computer.  I personally prefer the latter as I can use my desktop to transfer files to and from GroovyArcade a bit easier.  Since you've presumably loaded your cabinet with games, I'll assume you've gotten the file transfer part of this down and have your new gasetup binary on your cabinet.  Let me know if you need more information on that though.

To log in via your GroovyArcade cabinet, press CTRL-ALT-F2.  You'll get a GroovyArcade log in prompt where you can log in as the arcade user using the password you provided during your initial set up.

To log in via ssh, first make sure your network is set up via gasetup and then use your favorite ssh client (personally I use Putty) and connect to host name arcade@<ipAddress>, using the ip address of your GroovyArcade cabinet.  The easiest way to find this is via your router which should identify your cabinet as "GroovyArcade".  Your ssh client should give you an identical prompt to log into GroovyArcade via the arcade user and the password from the initial set up.

Now that you're logged in, binaries are stored in this location: /usr/local/bin.  Let's start by entering that directory:

[arcade@GroovyArcade ~]$ cd /usr/local/bin

Now, let's return to DoogyRev's advice. First, let's rename the existing binary to gasetup.orig:

[arcade@GroovyArcade bin]$ sudo mv gasetup gasetup.orig

Next, let's copy in your new binary (you'll need specify the path in which you copied it):

[arcade@GroovyArcade bin]$ sudo cp /path/to/binary/gasetup ./gasetup.alt

Now, let's create that symbolic link:

[arcade@GroovyArcade bin]$ sudo ln -s gasetup.alt gasetup

Finally, let's ensure the arcade user can execute this new binary:

[arcade@GroovyArcade bin]$ sudo chmod 777 gasetup.alt

You can then test out your new binary by using the command:

[arcade@GroovyArcade bin]$ sudo ./gasetup

If you need to revert your changes, simply remove the existing symbolic link and replace it with one pointing back to the old binary:

[arcade@GroovyArcade bin]$ sudo rm gasetup
[arcade@GroovyArcade bin]$ sudo ln -s gasetup.orig gasetup

I hope this helps.  Let me know if  you need more detail.  I know linux can be intimidating at first.

Many thanks to the GroovyArcade and GroovyMAME devs, you guys have done some awesome work here.

qseventeen

• Offline Offline
« Reply #597 on: November 28, 2016, 11:10:34 pm »
I think it is the groovymame binaries he was meaning, not gasetup.  I have made a couple of tweaks to gasetup (I took out the HD install menu for installed systems and tried to work around a bug) but I'm not sure you can use it to affect the NO_USE_XINPUT tag in groovymame.  I think this needs to be compiled in but it may work with an environment variable.

Oh, that make sense.  Yeah, you are probably right, it'd have to be included at compile time of the groovymame binary.

If you want to give GroovyArcade tinkering another shot and are feeling adventurous, an updated xf86-video-ati driver was released (7.8.0).  It resolved some occasional slowdown I noticed in NBA Jam, maybe it'll help Kung Fu Master in the newer versions.

MonkeyJug

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 07, 2024, 07:28:20 am
« Reply #598 on: December 23, 2016, 02:28:14 pm »
How do I remove emulators that I don't use from advmenu?

I manged to remove Amiga CD by putting a # sign before the line in advmenu.rc, but if I try to remove any more, the front-end won't start and it just goes back to the main GA menu...

???

DoogyRev

• Offline Offline
« Reply #599 on: December 30, 2016, 05:57:55 pm »
There might be more lines associated with the emulators like rom paths, etc. that need to be removed as well.

You could try booting to lxde and running advmenu from a terminal window to see if an error message is produced. That may give a clue as to how you can proceed.