Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: my own Supergun!  (Read 2213 times)

armad1ll0

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 28, 2012, 12:24:57 pm
  • The player and the builder!
    • Modeverything
my own Supergun!
« on: October 31, 2003, 04:38:16 pm »
I ordered the Jrok last night and Hugo (our arcade technician) thought that I paid too much and that they can be built. I'm no electrical engineer but I showed him the link to the same circuit at http://web.njit.edu/~jal0737/GFX/Neo-Geo/RGB_schematic.jpg Looks like he may build one himself. If you guys hand handle it, go for it. I just went for the $75 solution. My concerns are for the case design and how to get it really low as a basic display case for the Jamma board that will be played via my super gun. I want my design to basically be a display cabinet for the jamma boards

Hugo just gave me an old CD-ROM external case. It should have all the right power to supply for what I'm thinking. I have not designed a case but I want one that will house at least a CPS2 and probably all the parts of a CPS3 kit because 3rd Strike is like my fav now.

I think that a clear top to cover up bare boards would be nice.  This way that things get nicely protected and still sort of on display. I'm thinking that maybe I can have a top cover made for it at a local plastics shop that'll make it look like a LP player.

Oscar is my hero! Dude you even have a Timepilot.  I saw one in your pictures. I actually met Okamoto-san (the original designer) once and we all partied with him on one of his visits. He's no longer w/ Capcom sadly.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2003, 05:07:08 pm by armad1ll0 »

armad1ll0

• Offline Offline
    • Modeverything
Re:my own Supergun!
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2003, 05:24:10 pm »
Question:

What are the dimensions of the larger PCBs that I might want to fit into the footprint of the supergun that I'm going to build.

OSCAR

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 06, 2018, 11:31:53 pm
  • I think Bigfoot is blurry, that's the problem...
    • Oscar Controls
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2003, 08:00:57 pm »
I just measured my jamma boards, and the largest one was just shy of 16" x 12".  Most jamma boards seem pretty similar in size, but there are oddballs out there so I would plan to add a couple inches each way to accomodate them.  Or leave the long dimension side open in case you run into a longer boards, and make the enclosure about 14" wide.  That should cover most jamma boards, I'd guess.  Also keep in mind that some jamma games contain up to (3) boards separated by standoffs (like R-Type), so I would make the enclosure at least 4" deep.

For anyone interested in making their own RGB -> s-video adapter in lieu of the JROK, check out http://www.epanorama.net/links/videochips.html.  There are links to more chips that can accomplish this other than the AD725 (which runs less than $10, BTW).

Good luck on your project, armad1ll0!  Be sure to post back with pics as you progress.  My own supergun project has been put on the back burner for right now.  I have a couple other things I need to get done before it gets too cold.  :)

armad1ll0

• Offline Offline
    • Modeverything
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2003, 04:47:32 am »
Thanks Oscar.

Hugo, and Kobozono-san are the last of the Capcom arcade and they seem to be helpful when I get stuck. They were thinking about throwing out some nearly new 27" RGB monitors as well so I'm thinking of making the supergun also have enough power to power a monitor and to put in a splice N plug for a cable for the plugging it into a RGB monitor. There goes my small/short power supply though.... hmmm

I'll keep it in mind to leave one side open. I figured that I'd have to cause the CPS2 vents on one side also.

I was thinking that the Super gun would be like just a flat plane without a recess for the jamma board. The top enclosure could be like the top of a LP player and be a acrylic case that I can pull off or put on. The only recess is for the acrylic case to slide down and seat into.

I'll surely get some pictures up. I'm wondering how to get some simple controllers hooked up for it in the meantime. I'm thinking about hacking Genesis 6 button controllers to work on a Supergun. I always thought that they were among the best. I'm also thinking about a pair of those ergonomic Capcom soldier pads too. All I need are 6 button controllers.

I was also thinking about moding a 15 pin serial out of the side of a dreamcast stick. I also can just make a cable for my CC signature stick since it's already just hooked into a 15 serial connector.

http://www.geocities.com/armad1ll0/systems/customj.html
« Last Edit: November 01, 2003, 05:01:18 am by armad1ll0 »

GodSin

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 30, 2014, 02:58:11 pm
  • I want my own arcade controls!
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2003, 11:48:37 pm »
where would I get some detailed plans to build such a device? as I recently picked up both a 1 and a 6 slot Neo Geo board last night for use in an arcade cabinet I am construction ... the 1 slot board would be great for a "Console" version that I could easily take with me to friends places :)

DAmnb

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 28, 2011, 03:35:40 pm
  • R-Type for president!
    • TheGameCollector