Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: The Walking Dead - Season 3  (Read 10156 times)

Louis Tully

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 13, 2015, 09:41:03 pm
The Walking Dead - Season 3
« on: October 13, 2012, 08:36:02 pm »
« Last Edit: February 12, 2015, 09:40:49 am by Louis Tully »

Nephasth

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: The Walking Dead - Season 3
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2012, 08:38:59 pm »
 :puke

dre-w

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 28, 2015, 10:45:17 am
  • The Breakfast Club
    • FB... b/c my wife made me do it
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2012, 12:45:52 am »
Wow, I didn't expect last nights episode to be so intense.. so what do you think about Lori.. didn't really show Carl shoot her..  Just like it never really showed the prisoner get killed by zombies, then a episode later BAM still alive..  And another thing did Lori die instantly from that?  Or did she just go into shock..?
These machines will be the death of me

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 20, 2024, 01:42:43 am
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2012, 01:52:39 am »
Wow, I didn't expect last nights episode to be so intense.. so what do you think about Lori.. didn't really show Carl shoot her..  Just like it never really showed the prisoner get killed by zombies, then a episode later BAM still alive..  And another thing did Lori die instantly from that?  Or did she just go into shock..?

I refuse to participate with a discussion if I have to constantly use spoiler tags... keep up with the show and THEN visit the thread. 

She's dead dude... even if she weren't the infection from cutting her belly and then womb open without a serile knife or gloved hands woudl have killed her.  Besides... this is Carl we're talking about... he did it. 

On the other hand the shaved headed lady... she's still alive. 

anyway......

I refrained from talking about this season until I had seen enough episodes to make judgement.  Looks like a one step forward, two steps back deal.  The special effects and zombie carnage has really improved.  It looks like they are relying a lot more on practical effects, which is certainly a good thing.  As for the story, well it's not very good this go around.  They are diverging a lot from the comics, which would have been a good thing last season (the farm stuff is boring) but just plain sucks this season because the whole prision arc was written so damned perfect in the comics.... honestly it's my favorite part of the books thus far.  It looks like Hershel has been put in Dale's role plot-wise, as I suspected he would.... don't expect him to last very long.  The Governor has been severely neutered for television, as I feared he would.  The dude is a genuine psycho in the books, and this guy is just your stereo-typical villian.  Good to see Merl back... for some reason he makes me smile. 

Lots of over-the-top scenes were supposed to be shown in this part of the arc, but judging by everything that went on last episode I don't think they can do any of it now, which is disappointing. 

There is still enough going on to watch it, but that intriguing social commentary/debate from last season is long gone.  All the characters are decidedly black and white at this point. 

dre-w

• Offline Offline
  • The Breakfast Club
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2012, 12:25:01 pm »
Idk.. This shows pretty predictable whenever they dont show a death.. Its for a reason..  Would be pretty neat to see a zombie Lori walkin around, belly all open..

Yeh i agree the comics were way better

lordnacho

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 21, 2023, 07:38:14 pm
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2012, 01:04:37 pm »
Well, I'm glad they are different.  We know people die, but it doesn't happen how you expect it. 

Also, there's a difference between not showing the death vs no one seeing it. 

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2012, 03:37:48 pm »
Well, I'm glad they are different.  We know people die, but it doesn't happen how you expect it. 

Also, there's a difference between not showing the death vs no one seeing it.

Yeah but here's the thing..... with the exception of Hershel, they've already wasted their alloted deaths per season on the first couple of episodes.  There's no tension now because they can't really kill anybody else that's important.  They aren't brave enough to kill the primary cast when the series has become such a cash-cow, so Rick, Carl, Glen, Maggie, and Daryl are safe and to be honest, do you really give a crap about the rest?  I mean yeah they let one of the minor cast members die early in season 2, like one from season 1 linger on a bit too long and swapped Dale for Hershel but who lives and who dies is essentially unchanged..... if that's the case then I'd rather them stay closer to the superior comic book plotlines. 

In the comics, they have the good sense to do most of the deaths towards the end of an arc... you know, so people will actually read all the way through?

t3design

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 13, 2024, 07:19:01 pm
  • Orange Power! Go Pokes!
    • Cowboy Arcade Project
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2012, 03:57:47 pm »
Who lives and who dies is interesting at times and the slight differences between the graphic novel and the tv series have kept me guessing a little. The gore, too much or too little, is a necessary part of the story (that I like!). What I find fascinating and it's true about both the graphic novel and the series is the tension in the small parts of dialogue that are seemingly small things but in reality are the real issues. Case in point:

The short discussion between the group members about whether to let the two remaining prisoners stay or send them out. This is an very difficult thing to handle.

If you include them, you have to trust them at some level. You have to evaluate whether they add more than they take from the group. Do your chances go up or down?

If you send them out, are you sending them to die? What if they survive and you run across them later? What if they bring others back with them?

Is survival at ANY cost worth it. If to survive you loose your humanity, compassion and dignity, are you still human?

And in the middle of this very important, functionally life or death decision process, zombies attack!

That few minutes was worth the episode for me, yet it happens several times an episode.

P.S. I liked Lori. I think she was most like what a real mom who could survive would have been like. Sorry to see her go....
Cowboy Arcade Project ThreadCowboy Arcade Project Website
If you are an obsessive/compulsive pyromaniac, you better make sure you wear flame retardant pajamas.

RandyT

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 09:47:41 am
  • Friends don't let friends hack keyboards.
    • GroovyGameGear.com
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2012, 04:20:54 pm »
I'm enjoying it so far. 

I can really appreciate some of the human dynamics being introduced in the third season.  I think the mostly quiet and organized community, guarded and controlled by ruthless thugs is the most interesting.  There are certainly parallels with current social norms being presented there.  It raises the question of what freedoms, and perhaps morals, individuals are willing to sacrifice for the sake of safety and structure.

I think the one part I had the most difficulty with is the prisoners.  While it may be a little naive on my part, I would have to believe that there would have been a "come to jesus" moment for them, after being locked in a room for as long as they were.  It seems to me that being liberated, and understanding the situation they had suddenly become part of, would have had a more profound impact on their behaviors, likely tempering the aggression toward the group.  It also seems unlikely that one of them would intentionally endanger everyone inside, including themselves, but I guess they weren't there for being reasonable.

Still, it's great TV and I don't miss an episode.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2012, 04:31:07 pm »
Well those discussions WOULD be interesting, if they weren't so damn predictable. 

You knew that they were going to eventually let the prisoners join the group eventually... probably after a conveniant chance to prove themselves and 5 minutes later... boom!  There comes that chance! 

And again there WOULD  be a moral delimma, if those guys weren't prisoners.  Yeah I know, they say that their offenses were minor but that sure looks like at least a medium security prison to me and you don't get in there for a little pot.  Don't get me wrong, I don't support the death penalty, but things are a bit different when there aren't the facilities in place to give criminals proper punishment.  Making them leave wouldn't have been killing them, it would have been the right call... but they are staying true to the worst parts of the comics unfortunately, including Rick's nack for screwing up... so they have to stay. 

It seems to me that the writers for the show don't seem to get which parts of the books made the series great, because they always latch on to the other parts. 

p.s.  If you liked Lori then you obviously didn't watch the last two seasons..... started to feel a little sorry for her towards the end, but it's good she died.... at least it was a noble death so she could redeem herslef somewhat.  T-Dog bothered me a lot more to be honest.... but then again they only gave the poor guy three lines a season, so he's expendable.

t3design

• Offline Offline
    • Cowboy Arcade Project
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2012, 05:57:45 pm »

p.s.  If you liked Lori then you obviously didn't watch the last two seasons..... started to feel a little sorry for her towards the end, but it's good she died.... at least it was a noble death so she could redeem herslef somewhat. 

Well, let's see how many things we can find wrong with that line of reasoning....

1. Non Sequitur: "because you like Lori you didn't watch the last two seasons". Well , I did watch the last two seasons (several times) and I own all the graphic novels, the trade paperbacks, the hardcovers and the omnibus editions (two of them signed). AND I still liked Lori.

2. Argumentum ad Hominem: this is also simply attacking me to attempt to make a case.

3. I hope you don't ever feel sorry for me.

That's probably enough.

Suggestion: If the show is so predictable, uninteresting and tedious to you....don't watch it. However, if you do watch, and we don't agree on the finer points, make an educated and reasonable case for your view instead of resorting to attacking me for mine.

Thanks

If you are an obsessive/compulsive pyromaniac, you better make sure you wear flame retardant pajamas.

AtomSmasher

• I'm happy to fly below Saint's radar
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 02, 2022, 03:50:10 am
  • I'd rather be rich than stupid.
    • Atomic-Train
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2012, 05:59:55 pm »
T-Dog bothered me a lot more to be honest.... but then again they only gave the poor guy three lines a season, so he's expendable.

Ginsu Victim

• Yeah, owning a MAME cab only leads to owning real ones. MAME just isn't good enough. It's a gateway drug.
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 08, 2023, 02:40:58 pm
  • Comanche, OK -- USA
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2012, 06:31:43 pm »
"There's a chance we might let another black guy into the group....QUICK! Kill T-Dog!"

Well Fed Games

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 06, 2022, 07:30:46 pm
  • Delicious!
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2012, 07:40:05 pm »
I finally got to read some of the comics (wife's coworker lent us the 1st compendium, issues 1-48) and I was interesting to see what the show has and hasn't taken from the comics- I actually think the comic and show are on par, quality-wise, considering how difficult it is for a lot of fiction to cross mediums. I'm guessing like a lot of the divergences are the result of the limitations of TV. Of course that first collection only goes up to what I assume will be the 3rd season finale, so I am still really curious about the future.

As far as this season goes, I will miss T-dog as I don't think he was ever used as much as he should have been, and as far as Lori, it seemed that the pregnancy dominated her purpose in the show. I am ok with her going, much more than I was with Dale, because I think he brought a good tension to the group of survivors. Man, I am curious about what is going to happen with the baby. I think LOST handled the pregnancy-in-peril idea better with Claire's baby, but once it was born they basically wrote it and her out of the main storylines. I wonder if the same is going to happen here.

At least Lori died knowing where Carl was for once.  ;D

Completed projects: Pac bartop (Plug & Play), 30th Anniversary Pac cab (MAME), Point Blank (PS1), Centipede (arcade hardware- light restore), VS. Super Mario Bros (arcade hardware- light restore) Tetris Cocktail (SNES), Arcade Classics upright (60-in-1, then MAME), Multi-Raiden (arcade hardware). Pac Man vs.(Gamecube),

Working on: Pinball Re-theme, Homebrew arcade arena shooter

boomerbrian

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 28, 2024, 04:56:39 pm
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2012, 07:46:59 pm »
Do we really know that Lori is dead? It didn't show Carl shoot her and Carol, who practiced procedures on the zombie, is separated from everyone else. Perhaps she stumbles onto Lori and she is still alive? Just a guess.

lordnacho

• Offline Offline
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2012, 09:50:36 pm »
I think T-Dog was killed off so Merl will solely blame Rick.  T-Dog was the one who dropped the key to his handcuffs on the roof, but was Rick who handcuffed him.  Daryl will have to choose who to side with.  Always moral choices in TWD land.

Lori is dead, would be lame otherwise.  Although a pulse check before shooting her would have been a good idea.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2012, 11:54:35 pm »

p.s.  If you liked Lori then you obviously didn't watch the last two seasons..... started to feel a little sorry for her towards the end, but it's good she died.... at least it was a noble death so she could redeem herslef somewhat. 

Well, let's see how many things we can find wrong with that line of reasoning....

1. Non Sequitur: "because you like Lori you didn't watch the last two seasons". Well , I did watch the last two seasons (several times) and I own all the graphic novels, the trade paperbacks, the hardcovers and the omnibus editions (two of them signed). AND I still liked Lori.

2. Argumentum ad Hominem: this is also simply attacking me to attempt to make a case.

3. I hope you don't ever feel sorry for me.

That's probably enough.

Suggestion: If the show is so predictable, uninteresting and tedious to you....don't watch it. However, if you do watch, and we don't agree on the finer points, make an educated and reasonable case for your view instead of resorting to attacking me for mine.

Thanks

My disagreeing with your opinions does not equate to "attacking you"  you need to calm down a bit and repeat to yourself it's just a show, and you should really just relax. 

Every one of my counter points are educated and reasonable.... I'm just sorry that you haven't analyzed the show in as much detail as I have so you can't see it this way.  Most people merely watch tv....  I do a bit more. 

lordnacho1:  I don't think that was much much of an issue anyway.  If you remember a couple of episodes ago Merl talks about Rick being the s.o.b. that left him, not t-dog.  There's no dobut whatsoever that Daryl is in team Rick camp.  Even when he was with his brother he was never "with" his brother.  And about Lori.... again, she would have died from infection anyway but most likely she died almost instantly from shock....  you can't just cut into someone's belly without anesthetic. 

RandyT

• Offline Offline
    • GroovyGameGear.com
« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2012, 02:10:31 am »
Well those discussions WOULD be interesting, if they weren't so damn predictable. 

You knew that they were going to eventually let the prisoners join the group eventually... probably after a conveniant chance to prove themselves and 5 minutes later... boom!  There comes that chance!

Well, it didn't actually happen that way.  During the drive to the food stores, the situation could have broke in any of a number of directions.  I honestly didn't expect it to go the way it did.  It seemed to be a demonstration of how even the non-infected could be as dangerous in that world (or the real one), if not more so than their gruesome counterparts.  It was also a demonstration as to how hardened Rick and others in the group had become.  They learned in the last season that simply still being human was not something worthy of protection or trust.  Much of what you have been seeing is an amplification of this, and appears to be setting the stage for the upcoming encounter with Merl, and possibly the Governor.   After watching the characters' progression, I was surprised they weren't all executed by Rick and crew, but of course they weren't because there is still some compassion which they have managed to retain, and the understanding that the group becomes weaker as their numbers dwindle.  Better to have an unsavory, but not necessarily dangerous, individual at your side, than to fight alone.  Simple risk management.

And again there WOULD  be a moral delimma, if those guys weren't prisoners.  Yeah I know, they say that their offenses were minor but that sure looks like at least a medium security prison to me and you don't get in there for a little pot.  Don't get me wrong, I don't support the death penalty, but things are a bit different when there aren't the facilities in place to give criminals proper punishment.  Making them leave wouldn't have been killing them, it would have been the right call...

Meh.  In a world like that, some of the traits belonging to certain criminals could be pretty handy to call on.  Daryl wasn't too far from that originally and eventually became a valuable member.  Predictability is what is important.  If you can't turn your back to them without wondering what will happen, then they have to go.  Besides, putting them outside would have been the same as killing them, unless they were armed and well provisioned, which is something the group could neither risk or afford.

It seems to me that the writers for the show don't seem to get which parts of the books made the series great, because they always latch on to the other parts. 

Never read them.  It's probably what is spoiling the show for you.  I've never walked away from a movie based on a book I had already read thinking "that was better than the book".

IF she is actually dead.  Given the scene with Rick afterward, I tend to think she is.  But yeah, she was pretty annoying.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2012, 10:22:03 am by RandyT »

t3design

• Offline Offline
    • Cowboy Arcade Project
« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2012, 06:09:49 pm »

My disagreeing with your opinions does not equate to "attacking you"  you need to calm down a bit and repeat to yourself it's just a show, and you should really just relax. 

Every one of my counter points are educated and reasonable.... I'm just sorry that you haven't analyzed the show in as much detail as I have so you can't see it this way.  Most people merely watch tv....  I do a bit more. 

Unfortunately, you don't seem to understand the difference between stating your opinion and attacking another person. If you had said, "In my opinion....", or, "As I have watched Lori's character develop over the last two seasons I have grown to dislike her."  THAT would be stating your opinion. If you had said, "I disagree with you, I think as Lori's character developed...", THAT would have been disagreeing with my opinion.

However, what you did say was that because I liked Lori's character I could not have watched the first two seasons, which is the same as saying that if I were as educated in the series as you, I would think like you. THAT is an attack, and an arrogant one at that. 

Interestingly, you resort to the same ad Hominem attack in your rebuttal when you claim that you are educated and reasonable and that those who don't see things the way you do haven't spent as much time or done as much analysis as you. The amount of time spent on analysis does not equate to whether you are right or wrong.

If you have spent so much time analyzing the show I would expect that you would be able to articulate the basis for your conclusions clearly and if they are plausible and potentially valid you might influence someone else. But so far all you have done is said, "I know more than you, I'm smarter than you, and if you don't see things my way you haven't really watched the show or paid attention." And that doesn't make you smarter or right, it just makes you a bully.

ChadTower

• Chief Kicker - Nobody's perfect, including me. Fantastic body.
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 19, 2022, 12:01:54 pm
« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2012, 09:48:00 am »

Meh.  You know what needs a horde of walkers to show up?  This thread.   :hissy

spoot

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 15, 2015, 10:36:18 am
  • Destroyer of electronics
« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2012, 10:42:45 am »

Walkers walker walkers walker walkers walker walkers walker walkers walker walkers walker walkers walker walkers walker walkers walker walkers walker walkers walker walkers walker walkers walker walkers walker walkers walker walkers walker walkers walker walkers walker walkers walker walkers walker walkers walker walkers walker walkers walker walkers walker walkers walker nomnom  walker walkers walker walkers walker walkers walker walkers walker walkers walker walkers walker walkers walker walkers walker walkers walker walkers walker walkers walker walkers walker walkers nomnom walker walkers walker walkers walker walkers walker walkers walker walkers walker walkers walker walkers walker walkers walker walkers walker walkers walker walkers walker walkers walker walkers walker walkers walker walkers walker walkers walker walkers walker walkers walker walkers walker walkers walker walkers walker walkers walker walkers walker walkers walker walkers walker walkers walker walkers walker walkers walker walkers walker walkers walker walkers walker walkers walker walkers walker walkers walker walkers walker walkers walker walkers

Close enough?   :D

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2012, 11:02:27 am »

Who got nommed?

Does it match the comic book?

Vigo

• the Scourage of Carpathia
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 21, 2024, 08:20:28 am
« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2012, 12:05:54 pm »
Here comes another horde of walkers

AtomSmasher

• I'm happy to fly below Saint's radar
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 02, 2022, 03:50:10 am
  • I'd rather be rich than stupid.
    • Atomic-Train
« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2012, 01:08:47 pm »

It's a Herd of walkers, geez.  Don't you watch the TV show, read the graphic novels, analyze the books, obsess over the fan fiction, listen to the podcasts, or sneak into the creators house while he's taking a shower in order to read his notes?  Obviously you're not a true fan.

spoot

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 15, 2015, 10:36:18 am
  • Destroyer of electronics
« Reply #24 on: November 08, 2012, 01:22:12 pm »

Who got nommed?

Does it match the comic book?

PBJ apparently.

Anyways, have they "fixed" the issue with this show that they kept leaving behind hammers/axes and then whined they couldn't use their guns?   I only made it about 1/2 through season two.

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #25 on: November 08, 2012, 01:35:14 pm »
PBJ apparently.

:laugh2:

I guess I'm not a true fan.  I just caught up last night and haven't read any of the books or anything.  I don't have AMC either. 

SavannahLion

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 19, 2015, 02:28:15 am
« Reply #26 on: November 09, 2012, 12:51:44 am »
Just caught the most recent episode (304). And I have one puzzling question.

They're all infected, that's pretty well established.

It's made pretty clear that once they die, regardless of method of death, they'll turn into a walker. OK, makes sense so far.

So why does a simple bite or scratch that wouldn't cause the character to die under normal circumstances also turn them into a walker? Is it not same mechanism either way? WTF?

RandyT

• Offline Offline
    • GroovyGameGear.com
« Reply #27 on: November 09, 2012, 01:51:22 am »
Just caught the most recent episode (304). And I have one puzzling question.

They're all infected, that's pretty well established.

It's made pretty clear that once they die, regardless of method of death, they'll turn into a walker. OK, makes sense so far.

So why does a simple bite or scratch that wouldn't cause the character to die under normal circumstances also turn them into a walker? Is it not same mechanism either way? WTF?

It's funny...I had a subconscious "BS alert" moment when that revelation surfaced.  I couldn't put my finger on why, but I think you just did.  I guess I just accepted the premise and forgot about it.

Perhaps the virus is dormant in the living until death occurs, but when bitten or scratched, the active (mutated?) virus is transferred and rapidly replicates to kill, and take over the host?  If that doesn't work for you, I'll see if I can make up something more plausible  ;D

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #28 on: November 09, 2012, 02:06:03 am »
Yeah that kind of pissed me off as well.  Now for a massive injury I can see it... the body goes into shock, the virus becomes active.... it should be a rather slow turn though.

Then again, the big Black guy that merely got scratched by zombie bone didn't exactly turn.... they SAID he would turn and the other guy shot him.  Same goes for t-dog.... he seemed quite alright until he became zombie chow.  The last time we saw somebody die from a zombie bite it took a long long time for them to die and eventually turn. 

So I would say that zombies are just nasty and the person dies or get really ill from infection, then they die, then they zombify.  I do think that b.s. like having to immediately amputate the infected limb is just dumb though.... nothing spreads that fast, not even snake venom. 

Louis Tully

• Offline Offline
« Reply #29 on: November 09, 2012, 08:43:47 am »
« Last Edit: February 12, 2015, 09:41:14 am by Louis Tully »

lordnacho

• Offline Offline
« Reply #30 on: November 09, 2012, 09:54:33 am »
I liked 28 Days Later take on infection where any blood splatter could turn them.  Like the scene where the crow was eating a zombie then dropped blood into the guy's eye. 
So I don't really care when I see people in Walking Dead hacking at zombies and blood splattering everyone, or someone doing surgical procedures on a zombie,

Btw, I'd much rather live in a Walking Dead world(slow zombies) than a 28 Days Later world(fast).

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #31 on: November 09, 2012, 10:12:29 am »

It makes perfect sense to me because they don't know where the line is between simple wound and lethal infection.  Who says that a scratch actually will turn someone into a walker?  All they really know is that the line is in there somewhere and being wrong about it can get a second person killed.  They err on the side of extreme caution mentally but I don't remember them actually shooting anybody until they had turned for real.

dre-w

• Offline Offline
  • The Breakfast Club
« Reply #32 on: November 12, 2012, 09:49:54 pm »
Who says that a scratch actually will turn someone into a walker?  All they really know is that the line is in there somewhere and being wrong about it can get a second person killed.
Exactly.  Has anyone in the show actually "turned" from a scratch..?  I vaguely remember the scene where Rick and Shane were at the school and they noticed some downed walkers and they mentioned something about no bites, then Rick just assumed it was from scratches..

I liked 28 Days Later take on infection where any blood splatter could turn them.  Like the scene where the crow was eating a zombie then dropped blood into the guy's eye.

Funny that's the first thing that popped in my head when Rick went crazy with the axe and started zombie moshin,  blood all splattering in his face with his mouth all open..  To correct both of these issues for me, I just imagine they turn from zombie saliva..  not blood or scratches.  And if they ever do show someone turn from a zombie scratch, I'm just going to pretend the zombie was biting his nails prior.   :P

Nephasth

« Reply #33 on: November 12, 2012, 09:57:05 pm »
Who says that a scratch actually will turn someone into a walker?  All they really know is that the line is in there somewhere and being wrong about it can get a second person killed.
Exactly.  Has anyone in the show actually "turned" from a scratch..?  I vaguely remember the scene where Rick and Shane were at the school and they noticed some downed walkers and they mentioned something about no bites, then Rick just assumed it was from scratches..

Funny that's the first thing that popped in my head when Rick went crazy with the axe and started zombie moshin,  blood all splattering in his face with his mouth all open..  To correct both of these issues for me, I just imagine they turn from zombie saliva..  not blood or scratches.  And if they ever do show someone turn from a zombie scratch, I'm just going to pretend the zombie was biting his nails prior.   :P

Have you even been watching the ---smurfing--- show?! Yes, I agree that walker blood splatter should turn them, that was something that bothered me from the beginning when they draped themselves in walker body parts to cover their scent from other walkers. BUT, just like vampire movies/shows, zombie movies/shows are all a little different, and Walking Dead took a slightly different approach (and it's ---smurfing--- stupid). The group already KNOWS that they are all infected and will turn once they die. People turning from bites is most likely caused by death due to blood loss.

This show sucks, but I can't stop watching it... :-[  Too many ---Bad words, bad words, whatcha gonna do? Whatcha gonna do when saint censors you?--- inconsistencies.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2012, 10:03:06 pm by Nephasth »

dre-w

• Offline Offline
  • The Breakfast Club
« Reply #34 on: November 12, 2012, 10:29:10 pm »
Yeh I haven't missed an episode.  I don't get why you would need to ask me that though..

dre-w

• Offline Offline
  • The Breakfast Club
« Reply #35 on: November 12, 2012, 10:31:31 pm »
Wait what??  Death by blood loss... from a bite??  How do explain people surviving amputations like Hershel and Merl..

dre-w

• Offline Offline
  • The Breakfast Club
« Reply #36 on: November 12, 2012, 10:40:24 pm »
So, after Rick finds the zombie that presumably ate Lori..  are we to assume that he somehow ate her whole..?  I mean, even the bones and skull..?  LOL, maybe I missed it but I didn't see anything left on the floor except for the blood trail leading to the zombie

boomerbrian

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 28, 2024, 04:56:39 pm
« Reply #37 on: November 12, 2012, 10:49:12 pm »
I hate to say it but it is looking more and more like Carol saved Lori which was my original theory. Too many things aren't adding up. I could be totally wrong though.

dre-w

• Offline Offline
  • The Breakfast Club
« Reply #38 on: November 13, 2012, 12:45:35 am »
Yeh b/c when they showed the trailer for the next episode, they found Carols knife in that room right..?  idk I give up lol.

lordnacho

• Offline Offline
« Reply #39 on: November 13, 2012, 09:35:29 am »
So, after Rick finds the zombie that presumably ate Lori..  are we to assume that he somehow ate her whole..?  I mean, even the bones and skull..?  LOL, maybe I missed it but I didn't see anything left on the floor except for the blood trail leading to the zombie
I'd say that's just a special effects budget reason.   I sort of liked that little twist, you thought she crawled away, but nope.  She was a thanksgiving zombie meal.  Zombie was in a meat coma and had to loosen his belt.

yaksplat

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 13, 2021, 03:50:10 pm
    • Random Projects
« Reply #40 on: November 13, 2012, 03:04:04 pm »
Zombie was in a meat coma and had to loosen his belt.

HA.....Meat Coma.

I love it.

:applaud:
Check out my current 3 machine build:
http://yaksplat.wordpress.com

Custom Control Panels: http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=121245

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #41 on: November 13, 2012, 04:51:57 pm »

On the one hand, thanksgiving zombie was hilarous.... on the other that had to have been the stupidest thing I've ever seen.  We talked about this during season 2 but people flamed me for it.  (Dale's death.)  Ignoring the fact that Lori is just too much person to fit in that one zombies belly, it's just physically impossible for a human to completely eat another human without tools.  Compared to other members of the animal kingdom we are pretty pathetic physically.  We have the weakest bite strength of any primate... it's so weak that most cats and dogs have a stronger bite than us.  In other words we can't bite through bone... or at least not through some of the larger bones in the human body.  We don't have any claws either, so we have a hard time tearing off flesh from a corpse as well.  Mind you with a dead body just lying there, you coudl eventually chew all the flesh off, but it would take FOREVER... since Rick immediately goes back inside to butcher zombies, it couldn't have been long enough for Mr. Sleepy to strip here corpse bare, much less go for second and zomehow swallow the bones.    Also keep in mind we are talking about a rotted corpose eating a person, which is much weaker, slower and more fragile than a normal person.  When Merl pulled out that one zombies teeth without any effort it showed that these guys are indeed rotten, and don't have zombie super powers. 

Where they found Carol's knife didn't even look like part of the Prison (or at least not a part they've visited yet), but she escaped simply because the show's writers aren't that good and it's a predictable plot point.  People forget that she passed through a door into blinding light, which was supposed to quite blatently foreshadow that she went outside and she ran away (probably assuming that the zomibes got everyone). 

Also Merl's a pro wrestler..... somehow the whole world makes a little more sense.  ;)  My new reason for watching the show is Merl... he practically winks at the camera he's so in on how dumb the show is.  I mean it's nearing Ashely Williams levels of awesome for him. 

dre-w

• Offline Offline
  • The Breakfast Club
« Reply #42 on: November 13, 2012, 09:18:24 pm »
When Merl pulled out that one zombies teeth without any effort it showed that these guys are indeed rotten, and don't have zombie super powers. 
:cheers:
Funny you should mention that.. because when I saw the bones missing, that was the first thing that popped in my head.  Merl pulling their teeth out with hardly any effort, other than just having to hold it down.  Tooth practically fell out, not to mention all the zombies look like they're missing teeth already half the time..  let's see how they fix the error this time.  Just like they had to do with the grass lawn in the prison being freshly cut upon arrival..

Yeh for Carol I knew she went outside the doors, hence the lighting,  but that doesn't rule out that she could have went back inside due to some unforeseen event.  (zombies outside the door, went in a different door, hearing Lori screaming after waking up, etc..) as for the knife I just didn't care enough about the show to look online for the next episode trailer to juxtapose the scenes lol.  I don't think she'll bail though, not without her man Daryl lol

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #43 on: November 14, 2012, 12:50:47 am »
Heh... don't get me started about the prison.  The grass is bad, but all the walkers wandering around was even stupider.  The place has three fences around it, multiple guard towers and if I recall correctly all of the fences were locked when they arrived and yet everyone inside were STILL attacked, even considering if they were in lockup it would have been impossible for the zombies to attack the prisoners?  Prisons are supposed to keep people out as well.... those guards in the towers would have been picking off zombies left and right as they approached the facility and evne if they ran out of ammo, those fences are never opened at once, so they should have never made it past the yard. 

I mean what, are we to assume they all starved to death and came back?  Why were all of the blocks open?  Were all of the dozen or so of riot gear guards bitten prior to puting on their gear because you can't tell me that those guys at least could have escaped. 

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #44 on: November 14, 2012, 09:26:11 am »

You're thinking about this way too much.  There are a million possibilities.  They could have died of anything.  Dyssentary, chicken pox, poison gas during a riot, food poisoning, excessive butthurt on a forum thread.  We don't need to know why or how they died.  We only need to know they are dead now and thus need to be avoided or destroyed.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #45 on: November 14, 2012, 06:33:51 pm »

You're thinking about this way too much. 

Never a more sad sentence has ever been typed.  Thinking about things can only lead to knowledge or understanding.  Most of the problems in the world today result from people having that kind of attitude.  In this instance, television programs would be held to a higher standard if more people found plot holes and complained about them. 

Louis Tully

• Offline Offline
« Reply #46 on: November 15, 2012, 07:48:44 am »
« Last Edit: February 12, 2015, 09:41:19 am by Louis Tully »

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #47 on: November 15, 2012, 09:19:39 am »
Never a more sad sentence has ever been typed.  Thinking about things can only lead to knowledge or understanding.  Most of the problems in the world today result from people having that kind of attitude.  In this instance, television programs would be held to a higher standard if more people found plot holes and complained about them.

I mean, seriously, who would have guessed a malnourished pregnant woman could be so osteoporotic that her bones were easily consumed by a zombie in a fictitious post apocalyptic pop culture television show?

Enjoy it for what it is, man.  It's just a TV show.  It is not high literature.

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 20, 2024, 02:39:34 am
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #48 on: November 15, 2012, 09:30:10 am »
For the record, I don't watch this show at all, but I follow it vicariously through this thread.  :cheers:
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

lordnacho

• Offline Offline
« Reply #49 on: November 15, 2012, 09:40:42 am »
Why is there no Game of Thrones thread? 

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #50 on: November 15, 2012, 10:06:39 am »
Why is there no Game of Thrones thread?

Because the thread would probably get all feudal?

Louis Tully

• Offline Offline
« Reply #51 on: November 15, 2012, 10:20:41 am »
« Last Edit: February 12, 2015, 09:41:37 am by Louis Tully »

lordnacho

• Offline Offline
« Reply #52 on: November 15, 2012, 10:43:57 am »
It says very close to the source material, so Howard can't  :hissy: to much.

I've been reading behind the show, but I stupidly read a website and jumped past spoiler alerts.  Caught a major death, so pissed.  So I jumped to Book 3.

Louis Tully

• Offline Offline
« Reply #53 on: November 15, 2012, 10:51:10 am »
« Last Edit: February 12, 2015, 09:41:41 am by Louis Tully »

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #54 on: November 16, 2012, 04:35:37 am »

I mean, seriously, who would have guessed a malnourished pregnant woman could be so osteoporotic that her bones were easily consumed by a zombie in a fictitious post apocalyptic pop culture television show?

Enjoy it for what it is, man.  It's just a TV show.  It is not high literature.

That's the whole point..... it COULD be high literature, if they'd hire decent writers.  Tv is a superior medium to books, so it would be nice if they actually put superior shows on it. I mean the books are better written, and they are comic books, with maybe 5 minutes of dialogue per issue.   

I do enjoy the show btw because sadly, it's still one of the most original shows on tv.... hbo and showtime series are superior though.  Boardwalk Empire, despite it's sometimes cheezy gangster vibe, might be the best show on tv.   

lordnacho1:  Nope... the prison is different in the comics..... The prison is mostly abandonded save the guys locked in the kitchen.  This makes more sense because you have to remember that it takes months for the zombies to overwhealm the city.  During that time there would have been a prison transfer, like in any real-world disaster.  On the show basically the entire prison population, including guards are zombified while still locked inside the facility.   

This is THE major problem with the show btw.... they follow 75% of the memorable plot points of the comics, so there's no sense of mystery or suspense to those who have read them, and the 25% they do change is vastly inferior and less logical than the comic version. 

GOT did have a thread btw.... we don't talk about the shows in the off-season. 

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #55 on: November 16, 2012, 07:59:37 am »
Tv is a superior medium to books

That is an interesting, and highly debatable, point of view for another thread. 

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #56 on: November 16, 2012, 09:42:14 am »

See, and I was just going to say that it was ---That which is odiferous and causeth plants to grow--- myself.  :laugh2:

lordnacho

• Offline Offline
« Reply #57 on: November 16, 2012, 09:46:07 am »
lordnacho1:  Nope... the prison is different in the comics..... The prison is mostly abandonded save the guys locked in the kitchen.  This makes more sense because you have to remember that it takes months for the zombies to overwhealm the city.  During that time there would have been a prison transfer, like in any real-world disaster.  On the show basically the entire prison population, including guards are zombified while still locked inside the facility.   
Must be someone else, I didn't mention the prison.  But I'll answer this, too many what ifs here, you don't know it's the entire prison population and you don't know if it's all the guards either.  Maybe some escaped. 
You also don't know how the zombie infection started.  Maybe people just turned suddenly or communication was out after military intervened, so people just bunkered down.   Actually not sure why I'm debating this.  Very few zombie movies tell how it started, they just follow a group of survivors.

This is THE major problem with the show btw.... they follow 75% of the memorable plot points of the comics, so there's no sense of mystery or suspense to those who have read them, and the 25% they do change is vastly inferior and less logical than the comic version. 
I welcome the 25%.  I don[t see it as inferior, just different.  I find the dialogue much better in the show, the comic I just want to barf sometimes and just skim through it.

GOT did have a thread btw.... we don't talk about the shows in the off-season. 
Cool well I'm seeing ads on buses here, so it's time to start the resurrection spell.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #58 on: November 16, 2012, 08:09:29 pm »
See, and I was just going to say that it was ---That which is odiferous and causeth plants to grow--- myself.  :laugh2:

Well it's not.  If you can instantly make that statement then you are just a book snob.  I'm not knocking books at all, but the more tools you have to tell your story, the better it can be.  Books have words... that's it....  Comics have pictures and words, but the amount of dialog is limited, so books are on about the same level as comics.  Highly illustrated books are superior to both becuase there can be a lot of dialog AND pictures.  They are a rarity though.  With tv/film you have dialog, and sound effects, and video...ect.....  you have more to work with, so the potential is there to make a more immersive experience. 

That isn't to say that a show is better than a book just because it's on tv, quite the opposite is true in most cases, but in terms of just the format, all things equal, tv can be much better than your average book... thus why books are always getting adapted to tv and film.  Action stuff in particular...  ever read about an explosion?  It's just not the same. 

Zombie movies are an hour and a half long... they don't have time to explain things.  This is an ongoing series, so they don't have the luxury of skimming over plot holes.  I think you are missing the point of the argument it doesn't matter if it was most of the population/guards or all of them, the point is the prison was locked down so it's unlikely that there would be ANY zombies the way they had it set up in the show and there are quite a few. 

The reason it bothers me is a little bit of thought would have fixed this.... they could have have both gates wide open as well as the prison doors or a hole in the fence or anything that would have suggested that zombies somehow got into the prison, all the scenes thus far could have went just as they are for the most part and it would have actually made sense.  Just like the guards that couldn't have gotten infected because of the suits.... leave the body armor off the arms an put a huge bite on it... poof!  Plot hole solved!

The director who fudged it up (and also fudged up Dale's death btw... so it's primarily his fault) said that the instance of the guards he made up because he thought it would look cool and had never seen it done before.  First I would direct him to any video game... it's been done to death.  Secondly, worry about it making sense first then you can do something that looks cool to go around it.  I mean yeah, it DID look cool, I'm glad that the head-popping effect was in there, but at the same time everybody I know called b.s. when they saw that scene. 

Well Fed Games

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 06, 2022, 07:30:46 pm
  • Delicious!
« Reply #59 on: November 17, 2012, 12:11:48 am »
Meh, movies and TV have budgets, real world limitations on time, location, computer hardware, etc., actors guilds and worker unions, etc. I would hate to give up written Sci-fi that is only limited by an author's imagination or my mind's eye. It seems silly to contrast one medium vs another... they are created differently, and consumed differently, with different strengths and weaknesses. I think the only relevance to this thread is that the Walking Dead seems to be an narrative that is (IMHO) achieving quality in two different mediums, which happens far too rarely.
Completed projects: Pac bartop (Plug & Play), 30th Anniversary Pac cab (MAME), Point Blank (PS1), Centipede (arcade hardware- light restore), VS. Super Mario Bros (arcade hardware- light restore) Tetris Cocktail (SNES), Arcade Classics upright (60-in-1, then MAME), Multi-Raiden (arcade hardware). Pac Man vs.(Gamecube),

Working on: Pinball Re-theme, Homebrew arcade arena shooter

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #60 on: November 17, 2012, 01:01:59 pm »
Well it's not.  If you can instantly make that statement then you are just a book snob. 

I stopped reading his point of view at the insult in the first line of his post.   :dizzy:

RandyT

• Offline Offline
    • GroovyGameGear.com
« Reply #61 on: November 17, 2012, 01:39:11 pm »
The director who fudged it up (and also fudged up Dale's death btw... so it's primarily his fault) said that the instance of the guards he made up because he thought it would look cool and had never seen it done before.  First I would direct him to any video game... it's been done to death.  Secondly, worry about it making sense first then you can do something that looks cool to go around it.  I mean yeah, it DID look cool, I'm glad that the head-popping effect was in there, but at the same time everybody I know called b.s. when they saw that scene.

Meh.  It was cinematic artistic license.  It added some drama and the viewer got to ask themselves how they were going to get past an armored zombie.  The funny thing was, the armor not only protected the zombie, but also, to some extent, it's potential victim.  That part was what I found amusing.  BTW, did you count all of their fingers to make sure none were bitten off?

Jeez, Howard, if you look at all entertainment in such a critical way, I'm not sure why you bother.  Granted, I can't bear to watch movies which revolve heavily around computers, because I know enough about them to know that much of it is implausible.  So I usually don't bother.  But seriously (?), we are talking about a show about a zombie apocalypse.   I have a hard time understanding why it's so easy for you to leap precariously past the ludicrous premise in order to pick out tiny "unrealistic" details as it unfolds :).

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #62 on: November 17, 2012, 02:53:15 pm »
I don't watch the show so I don't want to derail the thread (which I enjoy reading), but there is no way I would call TV a superior medium to a book. There is so much more that can be done with a book if the reader's mind is open to it. With TV, it is what it is. You can have a great script but lousy actors and/or effects budget, and there goes the story. With a book, the only limit is how you visualize it.

Back to your zombie talk while I sit in the corner.

CpCaveman

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 06, 2018, 11:43:05 am
  • Contains 0% horsemeat , may contain BULL though :)
« Reply #63 on: November 21, 2012, 12:59:02 am »
I love the walking dead, (and game of thrones dont wanna start a "fued" ) but i`ve seen its getting too mainstream, *spoiler alert* series 4 of walking dead will involve a 20 year old wizard with a scar that just discovered women *spoiler end* on the books versus tv theme, are the game of thrones books as good as the tv or just hard work? and the walking dead any good author for those or is it still just graphic novels? (I know certain types hate the word "comic`s) hurry up and fix pratchett thats what i say... gonna sit back and watch now :)
Hit something hard enough it should work, if it dont the result can always be called art :)

Hoopz

• Don't brand me a troublemaker!
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 09, 2024, 02:36:26 pm
  • Intellivision Rocks!
« Reply #64 on: November 21, 2012, 08:23:04 am »
I've been reading behind the show, but I stupidly read a website and jumped past spoiler alerts.  Caught a major death, so pissed.  So I jumped to Book 3.
Things are not always what they seem in that series.... Just sayin'.   ;)

lordnacho

• Offline Offline
« Reply #65 on: November 21, 2012, 09:44:28 am »
are the game of thrones books as good as the tv or just hard work? and the walking dead any good author for those or is it still just graphic novels?
Game of Thrones - insane amount of detail but enjoyable.  Keeping track of all the characters is impossible, so I end up skimming over mention of a lot of the backstory characters.
Walking Dead - I'm not a comic book guy, but I find the dialogue annoying and unrealistic.  I guess you have to do this in comic books with single frame scenes.  So I guess it's unfair of me to compare to a book.

Generic Eric

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 05, 2024, 09:02:23 am
  • Restore! Don't maim for MAME, build from scratch!
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,143226.0.html
« Reply #66 on: November 21, 2012, 09:46:52 pm »
FWIW, The Walking Dead (Game) is on sale during Steam's Sale now for 50% off.  I haven't played it myself, but I have heard "good" things about it.

CpCaveman

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 06, 2018, 11:43:05 am
  • Contains 0% horsemeat , may contain BULL though :)
« Reply #67 on: November 21, 2012, 10:46:16 pm »
the walking dead "arcade" game on xbox is enjoyable , seems ok but i`ve been leaving it alone until ALL the 5 episodes come out as i can play it all the way through a few times and see different outcomes in one go (and earlier episodes will probably be cheaper :) ), they dont announce the release dates of new episodes and it was 2 months between 1st and 2nd was really annoying and lost momentum for me, as for the comic`s (sorry graphic novels :) ) never seen one, but i`d be interested in a good book version.
Hit something hard enough it should work, if it dont the result can always be called art :)

zanna5910

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 28, 2023, 02:43:41 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #68 on: April 02, 2013, 04:05:41 pm »
i guess everyone feels about the same way i did about the second part of this season. 

it seems TWD has turned into a lackluster drama.  I miss the first two seasons that really gave you that anxious feeling for the survivors that around every corner your death awaits you day and night.  survival was foremost.  now its just bickering.

did anyone notice in the final shot of the finale that all the group came out, and no one was holding the baby?  dont worry about the tombs and zombies or anything.

i have to admit i didn't realize what the governor was going to do in the finale.   I sure hope that season 4 returns to the survivalist roots with more hording zombies that can actually cause damage.  We probably just get another entire season of the governor going crazy though.  sigh.

RandyT

• Offline Offline
    • GroovyGameGear.com
« Reply #69 on: April 02, 2013, 04:15:07 pm »
We probably just get another entire season of the governor going crazy though.  sigh.

Yeah, this was my thought too.  I also think Merle would have been a good addition to the group, and could have added a lot more to the story dynamic moving forward.  But his end was not unexpected.

I'll still probably watch until I can't stand it any more, but given the rash of utterly crap programming nowadays, that will probably be a while in coming.

zanna5910

• Offline Offline
« Reply #70 on: April 02, 2013, 04:26:55 pm »
Also, remember the first episode (i think) of thefirst season  when the zombies are turning door handles trying to get in?  Now they just beat on the gates, fall helplessly into spikes, stand behind swinging doors in the dark, and so forth.    Did they also get stupider or something?  What happened to this dynamic?

Also, remember how fearful they were to shoot off a gun, since all zombies in a 10 mile radius would slowly descend on their position.  You have gun fire going off like crazy at Woodbury, and only a trickle of like 1-2 zombies a day show up?  What the hell?!

I agree with you Randy.  While the show has gone downhill from what it once was and what you would turn into see, its still better than most things on TV.  Although its slowly turning into the same drama on every other channel.

I hope the next season starts with Rico shooting every grenade into the jail, thereby blowing it up and forcing all those survivors into the woods.  All the noise hopefully attracts hordes of zombies, eating most all the new survivors.  That would peek my interest and get us back on track.  I'm still waiting for  scene where the baby is crying and attracting zombies and they are trying to keep her quite.

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #71 on: April 02, 2013, 04:32:35 pm »
Mad Men starts up again this weekend.

That's all I have to add.  >:D

Vigo

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #72 on: April 02, 2013, 04:37:43 pm »
I thought Season 3 was an improvement from Season 2 where they spent the whole season looking for a girl who was dead in the barn the whole time. I was happy there was an actual villain this season as oppose to season two where the only danger was when somebody stupidly stormed off the farm and into the woods alone.

Sparkolicious

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 25, 2022, 05:41:24 pm
  • Measure twice cut once dern it!
« Reply #73 on: April 02, 2013, 04:58:56 pm »
I finally watched the show.. every episode from 1 til season 3 ending..  Not a bad TV show really. Season 3 ending was weak, but it is what it is. A show about zombies. Probably was more entertaining being able to watch them all in a short amount of time.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #74 on: April 03, 2013, 01:27:58 am »
I never started this thread up again, because not a lot happened this season that I didn't expect (as usual, this show has poor writers for at least 80% of the episodes).

I found the talking dead far more entertaining.  The host and the guests are so frikkin stupid that it wasn't even funny.  I love how they said the Governor didn't start out as a classic villain on that show even though he gunned down people in cold blood in the very first episode and then lied about it.  Imho that makes him worse than the one in the comics.... at least he owned up to what he did. 

Then he went full on Freddy Krueger during the last few episodes which isn't scary, but rather, comically funny.  And as nearly everyone predicted, the battle at the prison was pathetic due to budget constraints.  Couldn't they have at least brought the tank?  You know the tank they "rescued" from said gunned down innocents during first episode of the season?  Also as a surprise to no one, they totally chickened out in regards to all of the best scenes of this story arc.  No baby killing, no prison raping/killing.  No creepy pedo-governor, no severely mutilated governor, ect... ect...

Imho only two episodes were worth watching.  The one where rick goes home to visit his friend (which was actually outstanding) and the one where Merle dies. 

I don't know how anyone couldn't have predicted his death though, at least by the beginning of the episode you should have known.  The show kills off any character who expresses their feelings and then grows as a character.... thus why the primary cast feels so stagnant.  It's a shame because he was the reason I watched this season.  I liked the character and figured that he wasn't as bad as everyone said he was, or else he wouldn't look out for his brother as much as he did.  But OMG he said racist things, so me must be evil. 

Andreas's death WAS a surprise.... it and the fact that they let the Governor live were the only two surprises for me.  Andrea's death was a welcomed one though.  Hopefully they realized what a whiny blonde bimbo they had turned her into and decided to cut their losses.  It's a shame because the comic version of her was so strong.

I think the show has a problem at this point, because they've blended a lot of what happens further down the books with the season finale.  And this next stretch of the comics is particularly bad.  It's actually only picked up over the last few months.   

Louis Tully

• Offline Offline
« Reply #75 on: April 03, 2013, 08:34:18 am »
« Last Edit: February 12, 2015, 03:22:31 pm by Louis Tully »

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #76 on: April 03, 2013, 09:24:29 am »
To be fair to "The King"  when the zombie apocalypse happens, I'm totally going to the zoo and getting me a Tiger.  Or maybe a Polar Bear with a saddle.  Because I mean... if the word has no rules, new rule #1 is I get a frikkin Tiger!

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #77 on: April 03, 2013, 09:28:01 am »
I thought Season 3 was an improvement from Season 2 where they spent the whole season looking for a girl who was dead in the barn the whole time. I was happy there was an actual villain this season as oppose to season two where the only danger was when somebody stupidly stormed off the farm and into the woods alone.

Maybe you were watching a different show, but the main villain in season 2 was the same main villain in season 1... namely Shane.  That cowardly, selfish, lying s.o.b. was almost as bad as the Governor.  I agree that season 3 was better though, it's just that isn't saying much. 

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #78 on: April 03, 2013, 09:36:16 am »

That's one point of view.  IMO the main villain in Season 2 was Laurie.  She manipulated Shane every chance she got until he finally broke and turned on his only real friend.  Yeah, he was a flawed man, but he tried to coexist and every time he started to find peace Laurie decided to feed her own ego by destroying him all over again.

Vigo

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #79 on: April 03, 2013, 10:47:56 am »
Daytime soap operas have more unstable and dangerous characters than Shane. An unstable character might be the beginnings of a villain, but until they hit their breaking point, it is still only group drama and waiting for things to get worse. Otherwise, season 2 was pretty much boring life on the farm waiting for Shane to really snap. Any sense of danger for the whole group was gone.

If you are going to call an dangerously unstable character a villain, then you got to call Rick in Season 3 a villain as well. He has done far more to endanger the group than Shane ever did.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #80 on: April 03, 2013, 11:11:44 am »
I think both of you are forgetting that he murdered Otis and murdered the kid that they kidnapped.  Regardless of the reasons he used to justify either, there was no legitimate reason to do either.  A murderer is a villain, plain and simple. 

This is the same reason I was calling the Walking Dead panel stupid.... the Governor was a villain from day one, because he killed those military guys for no reason.  If you are willing to kill once then you are willing to do it again.  That makes you evil.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2013, 11:14:13 am by Howard_Casto »

Vigo

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #81 on: April 03, 2013, 11:29:06 am »
Nope, I didn't forget. It's just that Rick has more unnecessary kills under his belt than Shane. The two guys in the bar that wanted to join Rick's group, all but two of the surviving prisoners. You could even easily say that Rick was the one who planned to kill Shane (Through manipulation of Laurie) Rick let him self get in a perfect situation to kill Shane with nobody questioning his motive. Anytime Rick feels threatened by somebody he just offs them.

Shane's kills fall under the same justification. Killing Otis allowed Shane to escape with the respirator and save Carl, and killing the kid kept that other group of survivors from retaliating and attacking the farm.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2013, 11:30:40 am by Vigo »

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #82 on: April 03, 2013, 11:49:21 am »
No, no he doesn't.  Maybe you've been watching a different show but:

1.  The guys at the bar literally drew a gun on him and he fired to defend himself at the last second.  That's not murder, it's self-defense.
2.  Again, the prisoners tried to kill him, that's not unnecessary although I'll give you that the one he left to the walkers was pushing it and this was Rick's one and only break.      You'll remember that he spared two of them.  Shane would have killed them.
3.  Rick was trying to give Shane every opportunity, which is why he followed him into the woods.. hoping Shane would change his mind.
4.  Shane could have given Otis the respirator and sacrificed himself, which would have been the right thing to do.  (Even though we've been over this, those zombies were a mile away and neither was in any real danger.)
5.  Shane Killed that kid to lure Rick out, again, evil intent. 

Not only what you do, but why you did it is the final deciding factor of if it's a villainous act or not.

I think you are confused.  I never said that Rick was the hero, just that Shane was decidedly the villain.  Although that Laurie argument could certainly be made.  You are also confusing threat level with the validity of their villain status, Dick Dastardly is probably the most ineffective villain ever, but he's still a villain. 

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #83 on: April 03, 2013, 11:54:18 am »

I think it's entirely possible  Shane would have stabilized after he hooked up with Andrea if Laurie hadn't dragged him back in and crushed him.  That would have been a good thing for him to the point that he almost left with Andrea... except he didn't want to leave Laurie.

Vigo

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #84 on: April 03, 2013, 01:07:55 pm »
Rick is a police sheriff. He knows how to approach people without provoking them, but he deliberately acts threatening in order to justify killing them. Ever sense the barn issue, he had snapped. Time and time again he provokes people and kills them.

In the bar, Rick backed the guy into drawing his gun. Rick would rather see them dead than share any info or even lie to them about their location. In the prison, Rick allowed himself into the situation of having a walker tossed at him. It was obvious he wanted them to try something so he had the excuse to kill them. Rick also let himself into the woods alone with Shane to allow Shane to make his move. It played out exactly how Rick wanted it to, and he took Shane down.

Going to Shane's kill of Otis, Shane would have no reason to sacrifice himself and give the respirator to Otis. Otis was not only slow, but untrustable after shooting Carl. Shane was not convinced it was a hunting accident. With the kid from the other group, Shane stated all along that they should just kill the kid. They even had a group vote about killing him, and all but Dale agreed to kill him. Shane was doing what Rick couldn't manage to bring himself to do. Shane was clear all along that he has been the one making the tough calls for the safety of the group. Yeah, I'd call him crazy, unstable and dangerous, but not a villain.

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #85 on: April 03, 2013, 01:13:24 pm »

Yeah, that's a point nobody has brought up... Shane may have killed Otis as punishment for killing Carl.

(At that point Carl was just about as good as dead.)

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #86 on: April 03, 2013, 03:10:42 pm »
Wrong again guys.  If Otis was such a bad guy then why did he volunteer to risk his life?  He was untrustable?  WTF are you talking about?  He didn't shoot at Carl, he shot at a Deer and accidentally hit Carl!  Again, are you watching the same show?

See I think the problem is you guys believed the crap that Shane told other people to justify his self serving motives.  Remember the flashback when he's at the hospital trying to save Rick?  What he does is run like a little ---smurfette--- because he gets scared, but what he tells Rick is that he did everything he could, and what he tells Laurie is that Rick is dead.  He's a liar.. you couldn't trust a single word that came out of his mouth and his ACTIONS proved that anything he did was self-serving.  That's a villain.  He SAID he cared about the safety of the group but his actions almost always contradicted that.  What he actually cared about was his own sorry life, getting back into Laurie's pants, and to a much lesser degree Carl and possibly to an even lesser degree Rick.   

On your points with Rick, again I can't believe you watched the same show.  Nope... that was Rick giving people the benefit of the doubt until he was absolutely certain that there was no other way.  Those guys in the bar were bad guys. This was apparent.  They were talking about raping women, pissing all over the bar, ect.... Rick didn't let his guard down because only a moron would trust scum like that.  And he's a police officer so he knows how to approach people?  What cops do you know?  Because all the ones I know barely have any training at all.  Also he's a cop in Georgia.

But lets leave the season 3 stuff out of it just for the sake of argument, because season 3 stuff is irrelevant to the discussion.  We were talking about who is the villain in season's 1 and 2, not 3.  I mean the whole theme of season 3 was that Rick had gone insane and had to get it together.  Crazy isn't evil, but cowardly and self-serving (which Shane was) is evil. 

Shane's was the worst kind of evil... the "Doctor Smith" evil. 

Vigo

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #87 on: April 03, 2013, 04:02:16 pm »
I'm more just pointing out that Shane, from his own viewpoint, was trying to help the group the whole time. Opening the Barn, Killing that Kid, stashing weapons, not wanting anyone sent out to look for Sophie. Arguably his resistance kept everyone alive. He didn't trust Otis, and he was in "Father mode" about Carl at the time.  Sure a lot of that is just rationalizing it in his head, but that is part and parcel with being bat ---steaming pile of meadow muffin--- insane.

In the bar, Rick could have lied his ass off and almost definitely gotten away with it. Doesn't mean he had to let his guard down. He went off the same deep end that Shane did, but there was nobody questioning his morality after Dale died, Hershel stopped giving a crap, and Laurie had his back. Rick either had to be extremely stupid to want to go alone in the woods with Shane, or he had planned on killing him like Laurie wanted. My money is on he wanted to kill Shane.

shponglefan

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 15, 2022, 07:22:35 am
  • Correct horse battery staple
« Reply #88 on: April 03, 2013, 05:26:36 pm »
Andreas's death WAS a surprise.... it and the fact that they let the Governor live were the only two surprises for me.  Andrea's death was a welcomed one though.  Hopefully they realized what a whiny blonde bimbo they had turned her into and decided to cut their losses.  It's a shame because the comic version of her was so strong.

Really?  I figured her character had run its course this season.  She was one of my three "picks" to be bumped off this season.  Others were Merle and Hershel.  Figured once Rick got his head back together, Hershel's role as Rick's conscience had come to an end.  I figured they'd take him out during the prison fighting, but as you said, they kind of wussed out on that portion.

I think the show has a problem at this point, because they've blended a lot of what happens further down the books with the season finale.  And this next stretch of the comics is particularly bad.  It's actually only picked up over the last few months.

Give the way the show has gone vs the comics, it wouldn't surprise me if they start picking earlier storylines and incorporating them.  Esp. since they've added Tyrese to the show now.

DaOld Man

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 20, 2024, 06:16:01 pm
  • Wheres my coffee?
    • Skenny's Outpost
« Reply #89 on: April 03, 2013, 09:05:27 pm »
Ok, Ive been watching TWD since day one, and I do like it.
I have also been tracking this thread, and I like it too.
You guys bring up some good points and insights.
Now mine:
I think it is past time to get rid of the guvner. I wished they had killed him off sooner, even though he is not dead now, so we will most likely see more of him. I just think that story line was getting very stale.
Andrea's death surprised me, but this show seems to kill off main characters at the drop of a hat.
I was hoping we would see more stories stemming from Merle, maybe he would turn to the light side.

The part about the meat zombie was very unbelievable, but lets not get into that discussion again.

Personal prediction:
I think Carl is developing a dark side and the story will branch off to him becoming evil and doing something incredible stupid.
(He did shoot that kid point blank in cold blood, and Hershel ate cheese on him to Rick, so I think Carl will do something to him in the next season.)

Louis Tully

• Offline Offline
« Reply #90 on: April 03, 2013, 09:17:34 pm »
« Last Edit: February 12, 2015, 03:22:36 pm by Louis Tully »

zanna5910

• Offline Offline