Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Namco Cabinet Project  (Read 10491 times)

ViriiGuy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 08, 2020, 12:30:46 pm
  • Terminus clone build in progress.
Namco Cabinet Project
« on: September 21, 2012, 09:08:27 pm »
Today looks to be my lucky day :D I stumbled across a sweet Namco Soul Edge Cab! The cabinet itself is gutted of all cards, the monitor is shot, but the cab is solid.. Has a neat design, controls and coin door. So, it is perfect for a MAME project :D The only pictures I have right now are pretty crappy, but this is the cab...

I have a Hannspree 28" LCD for the screen, I need to dig thru my pc gear and see what I have for that.. Also need to order a few more buttons and come up with a better button layout. and get busy making it all fit!

The goal is to have a functional MAME Cabinet for under $300 as a proof of concept for the misses :) Then I can make it fancy later, when she has decided on a theme for it.
So far, I am at $250ish and should have everything I need to make it work.. Just waiting on the i-pac to come in.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2012, 11:11:24 am by ViriiGuy »

CoryBee

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 21, 2023, 07:12:25 pm
  • Bopity Boopy
Re: Namco Cabinet Project
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2012, 09:10:43 pm »
Nice mame cab, that thing is HUGE though! good luck  :cheers:

drventure

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 23, 2024, 06:53:06 pm
  • Laser Death Ray Bargain Bin! Make me an offer!
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2012, 09:19:32 pm »
Nice score.

It's odd, though. The proportions seem top heavy to me.

Still, wouldn't mind finding one to Mame....

ViriiGuy

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2012, 09:26:00 pm »
It is, but after dropping a Pinball machine into our livingroom, we kinda realized we have a LOT of space! :D So, it won't be a big deal. Besides, Not having to build the cab and buy a few extras.. saves me bucks.. Plus the wiring harness will ease my install too.

The bottom is solid plywood and VERY heavy... Just ask my poor back. The top even with the big CRT in it felt light when I lifted that end.. in comparison. However, it is very stable.

mzerba

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 25, 2015, 07:32:07 pm
  • "Smile and wave boys, just smile and wave"
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2012, 09:49:44 pm »
already mamed one of these........love this cabinet

mzerba

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2012, 09:52:10 pm »
more pics

mzerba

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2012, 09:55:42 pm »
last set of pics

ViriiGuy

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2012, 09:56:03 pm »
 :applaud: :applaud: :applaud:
That is awesome and pretty much exactly what I had in mind for the CP!! Nice to see it in real life!

Nice arcade you have going on there! We just started ours! I bought a 1979 Williams Flash Pinball to gut and turn into a Digital Pinball Simulator.... But it was in too nice of a shape and seems to be easy to fix... So with that project on hold, I stumbled across this cab... MAME Time :D
« Last Edit: September 21, 2012, 09:58:55 pm by ViriiGuy »

mzerba

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2012, 10:08:17 pm »
it has 5 speaker surround sound and a sub unit......4-8 way joysticks switchable from the top....lighted track ball........the keyboard fits under control panel, with the remote volume control on the back corner of the control panel.......the computer is strapped in place for easy removal and upgrades....25" monitor (a 27" would have fit)....since the pictures were taken i have added led rope light behind the speaker covers, gives a nice red glow...also running i-tunes with all my music loaded....sounds awesome

ViriiGuy

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2012, 10:25:33 pm »
I have a few RGB LED kits for Motorcycles.. They have a few flash patters, about 9 or so colors and what not.. I was thinking I would use them for the lights... Or I have a LED Wiz just laying around... Might use it as well. I have been away from MAME for several years, so I gotta do a little research on pc requirements.... But I am pretty sure I have most of the gear... Just sitting in boxes to build this on the cheap and quick.. (Famous last words of a fool)

We shall see!

mzerba

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2012, 10:35:31 pm »
computer was free with 2, 40 gig hard drives.....upgraded with 120 gig added wireless internet card.....cabinet was a couple hundred.....whole project about $800.........still need artwork.........recently added a revenge from mars pinball to the room..........now the room is full.........if i want to add anything else the fooseball will have to go

ViriiGuy

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2012, 11:12:28 pm »
I have $40 in the cabinet! I am thinking I will buy a new motherboard and RAM so I can salvage the i7 cpu I have in a busted laptop.. The Screen I got for $120 to use on my Pinball.. But fixing and selling this other pinball machine will fund new screens for it.

As I understand, there are several more emulators these days, and the bigger CPU should help with the newer games...

Still reading and catching up though... I

ViriiGuy

• Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2012, 02:23:05 pm »
Decided to take the Hannspree out of it's basketball shaped case and do a test fit...

Perfect fit!!!! It is currently supporting itself, by pressure. It is exactly the same width as the opening. I plan to make some brackets to attach it to the original supports for the CRT.

I have to take off to the hardware store for a few supplies.. And am currently throwing together an old P4 3 Ghz unit just to get it working.. It has no where near enough RAM atm, but I know I have more around here in a box somewhere...

ViriiGuy

• Offline Offline
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2012, 09:02:21 pm »
I still have some more trimming to do, it is still a bit snug. Then I have to fill in the holes and finish it off with some extra material. I can't believe I spent an entire afternoon cutting away the case by hand...

The before..

The after..

I dug up an old 2.1 system I am going to throw in it for sound. For now anyway.

ViriiGuy

• Offline Offline
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2012, 10:17:24 pm »
Last update for the night, Just performing repairs to the damaged portions of the cabinet...

ViriiGuy

• Offline Offline
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2012, 11:04:19 am »
After all the work of cutting out the bezel for the TV... I think I have decided not to use the bezel, but instead just painted plexiglass, to bring the screen closer and into a better angle. Today, I am painting the area inside the cab, around the monitor black, finishing repairs tot he control surrport box, patching up a hole under the CP, and various other minor work.

Still trying to decide on a front end to  use.. And I need to dig up some more RAM. IT is running well on 512 mb, but the Graphical Frontends all suffer greatly :D

*edit*

That was considerably easier than I had expected... This is just a test, I am off on my size of the unpainted area.. I have it too big, but it was also done with the beat up plexi that came with the cab. I have to buy new stuff. Also I have not painted the frame of the TV yet...

But I think it will look better this way, rather than deep inset with a bezel then glass.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2012, 01:26:42 pm by ViriiGuy »

ViriiGuy

• Offline Offline
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2012, 06:53:28 pm »
A teaser pic,

It is starting to look like a real machine again!!

The control panel is repaired and re-mounted. The LCD Supports are in place and the LCD in it's final placement. I will pick up some more paint and plexi in a few days.

ViriiGuy

• Offline Offline
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2012, 07:13:23 pm »
It's Alive!! It's Alive!! It's Alive!!!!

Muwahahahahahaha

Ermmm Ummm *clears throat*

What I meant to say... Is I now have a mostly functional MAME Cabinet :D

My speakers don't fit where I want them... Working on that.. And I am still trying to get the controls working in everything... Minor, but time consuming..

But by golly, I can play a game!!!

ViriiGuy

• Offline Offline
« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2012, 08:13:13 pm »
I have completely redone the software and folder layout on the Cabinet. Currently I am working on configuring all the Emulators and Mala.
I still have a lot of work to do to the Cabinet, before I can move it inside the house. I hope to have most of it done this weekend... However, my part for my Pinball Machine came in, so I may be a bit slow wrapping up the Mame cab.... :D

ViriiGuy

• Offline Offline
« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2012, 11:16:41 pm »
After some heavy play testing, I need to replace the joysticks. So I have some questions.. Do I really NEED a 4 way stick? So far I have not found a game that will not work with an 8 way stick? Also, is there a joystick that I can light up with an RGB LED? Or what stick do you guys recommend?

mgb

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 21, 2024, 06:18:13 pm
  • North East, US
« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2012, 12:42:38 am »
Any 4-way game will work with an 8-way but many won't work correct.
A big one is something like Donkey Kong.
With an 8-way, it can be very dificult to quickly climb a ladder and get moving on the next floor because if you accidently hit the diagonal, you will not move.

drventure

• Offline Offline
« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2012, 01:12:11 am »
+1 on mgb's comments.

Personally, I quite like the Magsticks. You can switch them from 4 to 8 way just but pulling up on the stick and rotating it (no opening the cabinet up to insert restrictor plates and such.

But, for my main sticks, I've been really happy with the u360s. They're more expensive, and don't have the clicky feel, but they work seamlessly with almost everything.

ViriiGuy

• Offline Offline
« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2012, 11:55:55 am »
I guess I can see that being a problem of the 4 way games... However, I have played a fair amount of DK the last couple days with no issues.. other than the fact my joysticks are worn out.

I looked at the u360's, but I think they are a waste in my case, as I already have an I-Pac2 to control my buttons. I will look into the MagSticks Plus.

Thanks!

*edit*

Is anyone using these buttons? How do they feel? I am considering these and RGB LEDs.
http://www.paradisearcadeshop.com/en/il-translucent-buttons/275-clear-il-translucent-pushbutton-psl-l.html
« Last Edit: September 30, 2012, 12:08:59 pm by ViriiGuy »

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 03:14:06 am
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2012, 11:37:43 pm »
Is anyone using these buttons? How do they feel? I am considering these and RGB LEDs.
http://www.paradisearcadeshop.com/en/il-translucent-buttons/275-clear-il-translucent-pushbutton-psl-l.html

I believe that Nep did on his Two-Headed Beast.  He gives them very positive reviews IIRC.

Scott

ViriiGuy

• Offline Offline
« Reply #24 on: October 01, 2012, 04:47:13 pm »
Awesome thanks!

*edit*

Actually.. In keeping with my plan of keeping this as cheap a build as possible.. I am going to forego the RGB Buttons for now. Gotta save some tricks for my next build ;) This one is just to get my feet wet anyway. So I ordered 8 Yellow buttons and 6 Black from Ultimarc and two of their Mag Stick Pluses. Once it all comes in I will Likely make a new control panel to put it all in.. But I am not decided yet. I am going to play around with the current one and see about placement as is..

I'll keep you updated! But for now, I gotta go play some 1943!
« Last Edit: October 01, 2012, 05:09:30 pm by ViriiGuy »

ViriiGuy

• Offline Offline
« Reply #25 on: October 02, 2012, 09:28:35 pm »
I had a brain fart last night... My crappy Aopen speakers would not fit in the sides of my Cab, like I wanted... But the original speakers were there.. So I wired them up the the Aopen Sub unit.. The results...

AWESOME!! The scratchy old paper cone speakers are wonderful! It sounds even more like an authentic arcade machine out of those! I love stepping into the garage at 6 am to go to work and hearing Hyperspin running Attract mode, playing sound bites from all my old favorite games. It is like I am back at Take Ten Arcade, from my childhood!

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 03:14:06 am
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #26 on: October 03, 2012, 04:59:29 pm »
In keeping with my plan of keeping this as cheap a build as possible.. I am going to forego the RGB Buttons for now. Gotta save some tricks for my next build ;) This one is just to get my feet wet anyway.

If you want to "get your feet wet" without too much expense, you can do single color LED buttons  like these for your admin panel.

A little bling for a pretty small price compared to full RGB + controller IMHO.

Scott

ViriiGuy

• Offline Offline
« Reply #27 on: October 05, 2012, 07:49:58 pm »
My buttons and joysticks got here yesterday from UtilMarc! Wow!! 2 days from London UK to TN USA!
I am still not sure if I like the sticks and buttons I bought though.. I will reserve opinion until I get them mounted.

ViriiGuy

• Offline Offline
« Reply #28 on: October 13, 2012, 03:30:22 am »
I have installed my new magsticks and the new buttons I got from utilmarc. I like the buttons, but these magsticks... I really do not like. I have a problem with one of them, in that it constantly tries to engage up. So I am still trying to find a solution for that.. The throw on them is very short as well. A lot shorter than I like.

Hopefully tomorrow I will have a chance to take everything back apart and see what the issue is with this stick.

drventure

• Offline Offline
« Reply #29 on: October 13, 2012, 08:59:16 am »
I believe the magsticks have these little black plastic collars around the shaft on the inside that you can flip to get a short or longer throw. Might still not be long enough for you but I'd look there first. Odd about the up. Maybe the switch strip is bent a little?

ViriiGuy

• Offline Offline
« Reply #30 on: October 13, 2012, 12:35:55 pm »
As best I can tell, there is no way to give it a deeper throw. :(

I am going to take the entire CP apart today and see if I can figure out the reason it keeps wanting to press up... But I suspect I am going to clean up and put the original 8 ways back in and throw these hunks of junk away.

Well Fed Games

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 06, 2022, 07:30:46 pm
  • Delicious!
« Reply #31 on: October 13, 2012, 07:28:21 pm »
I have a problem with one of them, in that it constantly tries to engage up.

When you push up, does it stop? Maybe the it is wired to NC instead of NO? Probably not but worth checking.
Completed projects: Pac bartop (Plug & Play), 30th Anniversary Pac cab (MAME), Point Blank (PS1), Centipede (arcade hardware- light restore), VS. Super Mario Bros (arcade hardware- light restore) Tetris Cocktail (SNES), Arcade Classics upright (60-in-1, then MAME), Multi-Raiden (arcade hardware). Pac Man vs.(Gamecube),

Working on: Pinball Re-theme, Homebrew arcade arena shooter

ViriiGuy

• Offline Offline
« Reply #32 on: October 13, 2012, 10:26:27 pm »
Basically, if I pull down, and let go, it gets stuck in Up. If I tap up... sometimes it will stop. Sometimes it will just keep going. The only thing I can figure is the magnet is pulling too strong on one side. I took it all apart, the wiring is correct and there is not plate inside to adjust the throw.

I am going to email UtliMarc and see if they have any suggestions... Otherwise... In the garbage it is going. It has frustrated me to no end.. I have tried everything and nothing seems to help.

drventure

• Offline Offline
« Reply #33 on: October 14, 2012, 10:08:00 am »
That almost sounds like maybe that particular cherry switch is bad. Do you have another you can just swap out to try?

ViriiGuy

• Offline Offline
« Reply #34 on: October 14, 2012, 05:42:13 pm »
That was the first thing I tried. I emailed Andy last night at UtliMarc, he asked me to take it apart and see if there were metal shaving on the magnet. WhatI found was the Upper delrin coated magnet has metal flakes embedded in it.  I emailed him back to let him know of my findings, as I cannot get them off the coating. Hopefully I will hear back from him soon.

In the meantime, I am still working on getting hyperspin and all the emulators configured. I have just about finished downloading everything.. Wow 1TB of downloads in the last 3 weeks!! I bet my ISP will be happy when this is done!

ViriiGuy

• Offline Offline
« Reply #35 on: October 16, 2012, 07:40:18 pm »
Andy from UtliMarc got back in contact with me. He is sending me a new upper magnet and stiffer springs to solve my issue.

ViriiGuy

• Offline Offline
« Reply #36 on: October 20, 2012, 11:27:20 pm »
My MAME Project is on hold for a few days. Why?

Cause this...

:D

I picked this up today at a YARD SALE of all places!!! For next to nothing! Ok, well I actually spent a considerable amount on it, but I still only paid about 1/8th of the actual value on it! It supposedly has only been used in a home, the guy bought it new in 92. The play field is nearly mint. There is some corrosion on most of the metal parts, from being in his garage for 20 years, but it is nothing that can't be easily cleaned up. A flipper and a bumper were not working when I got it home, turns out the cheap plastic that Bally used to connect the solenoids to the play field parts were broken. So I hacked up a Dell case and made new parts. So now it works like a charm! I am replacing all the rubber bits on it next week, when they get here. But wow what fun it is to play!!

drventure

• Offline Offline
« Reply #37 on: October 21, 2012, 08:46:49 am »
Nice score. A full pin at a yard sale... The only thing I've ever seen are that silly kids mini pinball games.

ViriiGuy

• Offline Offline
« Reply #38 on: October 21, 2012, 12:18:01 pm »
Yea I couldn't believe my luck!!! And it was exactly the one my wife has mentioned she wanted!!
Now I need to find a STTNG Pinball for Uber Cheap :D

ViriiGuy

• Offline Offline
« Reply #39 on: October 21, 2012, 12:34:52 pm »
When I got it home, I found that one bumper and one flipper The upper left flipper, was not working. I expected to find a dead solenoid or two. Nope! Broken little plastic pieces that connect the solenoids to their respective play field parts.

So being the MacGyver (read Cheap SOB) That I am.. I took the parts out to the garage and began looking around.
I took this old Dell case front..

And after a few minutes with a hacksaw, Grinder and Drill I had this..

Now everything works perfectly on it! Well except for a few dead bulbs and some no longer bouncy rubber. But I have new rubber coming from Marco and I am in the process of trying to figure out what all LED replacement bulbs I need to order to replace all of the incandescent bulbs.