Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Poll

Wanted - your vote on themes for the forum!

Leave the default as the old forum had, the classic Yabbse theme
20 (26.7%)
Set the forum default back to the SMF default theme of Curve
29 (38.7%)
Set the forum default to the back n black theme
8 (10.7%)
Set the default to something else (please explain)
2 (2.7%)
Doesn't matter, people can choose any theme they want so suit yourself
16 (21.3%)

Total Members Voted: 75

Author Topic: WANTED - your vote on themes for the forum!  (Read 5018 times)

saint

• turned to the Dark Side
  • Supreme Chancellor
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 13, 2024, 04:55:06 pm
  • I only work in cyberspace...
    • Build Your Own Arcade Controls
WANTED - your vote on themes for the forum!
« on: August 16, 2012, 02:53:49 pm »
The default "Curve" SMF theme really bugged me. I hated the look and colors. However, I'm getting feedback that not everyone likes the YabbSE theme either. Please take a moment to check out the themes currently available, and vote in the poll as to what the default theme should be. Remember you can also override the default and use any of the available themes.

To change your theme:

Click the Profile button on the menu bar.
Choose Modify Profile - Look and Layout
Click the "(Change)" next to where it says Current Theme: Forum or Board Default (change)
--- John St.Clair
     Build Your Own Arcade Controls FAQ
     http://www.arcadecontrols.com/
     Project Arcade 2!
     http://www.projectarcade2.com/
     saint@arcadecontrols.com

Nephasth

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: WANTED - your vote on themes for the forum!
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2012, 03:17:45 pm »
I tried Back in Black for a while... ended up going back to Curves.

saint

• Supreme Chancellor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2012, 03:22:09 pm »
I tweaked Curve to have the PM notification show up at the top where it says your name like the YabbSE theme does.
--- John St.Clair
     Project Arcade 2!
     saint@arcadecontrols.com

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 06, 2024, 02:16:34 pm
  • <insert personal text here>
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2012, 03:42:29 pm »
Well me and 5 other folks really appreciate the work you put into Back-n-Black.   :applaud:

At least all my forums are starting to look the same, makes things easier but could be troublesome at some point...

krick

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 10, 2024, 02:32:45 pm
  • Gotta have blue hair.
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2012, 05:48:09 pm »
I chose "Curve" in the survey, but I wanted to clarify my answer.

Curve is SMF's default theme from SMF 2.0 forward.  So it will the theme most likely best supported/tested by future SMF 2.0 mods.

For this reason alone, I think it's in your best interest to stick with a Curve-only policy to make maintenance and support easier going forward.

However, with that said, I think that you could (should?) offer several "palette swap" versions of the default core theme for people who don't like the blue-on-blue-on-blue of the default Core theme.

I can't point you at specific download locations for palette swapped Curve themes, but I'm sure they must exist.  As I mentioned in another thread, I did something similar with the old Core theme in SMF 1.1.x.

At the very least, you should probably offer a black-text-on-white theme (like default Curve), and an inverted white-text-on-black Curve theme.

If I get some free time, I might try my hand at making an inverted green and black version of the Curve theme since I'm going to need it when I switch my forum to SMF 2.0 in the near future...  http://www.tankadin.com/forum/
Hantarex Polo 15KHz
Sapphire Radeon HD 7750 2GB (GCN)
GroovyMAME 0.197.017h_d3d9ex
CRT Emudriver & CRT Tools 2.0 beta 13 (Crimson 16.2.1 for GCN cards)
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
Intel Core i7-4790K @ 4.8GHz
ASUS Z87M-PLUS Motherboard

Vigo

• the Scourage of Carpathia
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 21, 2024, 08:20:28 am
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2012, 06:44:57 pm »
I like the yabbSE for default. It just seems the most welcoming and clear cut to the general public. Perhaps not the most amazing in the style department, but the lines are well defined, unoffensive, and it seems easy to follow. The big problem I saw with the Curves was that it just seemed difficult to separate the different posts, and it just had that unfinished webpage look. I hate it when divider lines are removed. My only thought is that if it is possible to lighten the blue used in every other post box, that would help links stand out a tad more on the YabbSE.

I might personally be using Black and Black, or switching between it and YabbSE, but my opinion is that YabbSE is just more inviting to an outsider. I think black forums just set the tone that it is more of an underground group, but that might be my personal feeling since I noticed a lot of black themes on various hacking forums, auto groups, and other tight knit groups of deviants.  ;)

I think that the fact that you have Black and Black and Curves available as options should be enough to make the current members here happy.

MaxVolume

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 30, 2012, 01:52:38 pm
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2012, 03:10:10 pm »
No thumbnails to pick from?  Anyway, I don't like the current one with posts having alternating background colors (yes, I know the purpose for it, I grew up in the era of green/white continuous-feed computer paper), and I prefer the "word balloon" icon for PM instead of the "scroll".  Maybe one day I'll find the time to switch between the themes and learn their names, but that's the best I can do right now.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2012, 11:36:19 am by MaxVolume »

Yvan256

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 20, 2017, 08:35:41 am
    • Yvan256
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2012, 09:00:14 am »
I prefer curves. I prefer colors to separate blocks of contents, I'm tired of seeing lines everywhere. Too many lines starts to go against the goal of separating content and makes things more confusing because your brain tries to follow those to separate blocks instead of just seeing the blocks.

But as long as we can use different themes, and that Curves stays in the choices, I don't mind.

One thing, though: on my first visit after the upgrade I was a bit lost, not sure if I had landed on the correct website. The default should have stayed the same as the old forums, IMO.

lilshawn

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 02:04:09 pm
  • I break stuff...then fix it...sometimes
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2012, 07:59:23 pm »
I'm digging the black right now. the first one wasn't bad...then it got changed...hated it....so i changed to this black.

only thing I could ask about,  is can we insert an extra carriage return in here, (see pic) it will even things out between the top and bottom. I'm OCD like that.

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 06, 2024, 02:16:34 pm
  • <insert personal text here>
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2012, 10:48:32 pm »
Ya know it might be nit-picky but :stupid that would look better but is in no way necessary.  In fact I hadn't noticed it before but I'm having a hard time peeling my eyes away from it now.  Thanks a lot shawn. 

saint

• Supreme Chancellor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2012, 09:11:49 am »
Heh. I'll put it in my list for this weekend. Someone yell at me if I forget, that's an easy fix.
--- John St.Clair
     Project Arcade 2!
     saint@arcadecontrols.com

felix pontifex

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 31, 2013, 01:29:10 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2012, 03:44:23 am »
Hi, I know that I am not a regular, but that banner for the poll was just so inviting!

I intend to vote "other", and I will point to certain posts that make many of my intended points for me.

According to the education classes I used to take, it is visually easier for a person to read light colored text on a dark background. This means I am somewhat in support of a dark colored theme, such as the one used for krick's forum. Also, I like the alternating coloration of posts used by the default theme. However, I don't think the green used on krick's forum is very... appropriate? welcoming? I am not sure what word I am looking for, but what I mean to say, is I would prefer a dark theme similar to back n black, but with alternating post colors (instead of just the coal gray used right now). However, instead of having a darker gray to contrast the posts, and green for topics and other things, I think a dark blue should be used, and for boxes like the "Topic Summary" you will see below when you post, those should be a hue of dark blue as well.

I think the color blue will help take some of the "underground" "unwelcoming" and "tight knit" feelings out of the darker color scheme that I agree with Vigo on.

Personally, I would set yabbSE as the default for anyone who is not a member of the forums (thus to maximize the feeling of invitation) and then when they register and log in, their default changes to the darker color scheme I described. If I remember correctly, the Administrator should have the ability to set different defaults for members and non-members.

lilshawn

• Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2012, 07:42:45 pm »
Heh. I'll put it in my list for this weekend. Someone yell at me if I forget, that's an easy fix.

HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!

don't forget.

brad808

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 22, 2023, 08:18:15 pm
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2012, 04:56:34 pm »
I much prefer the SMF Default Theme - Curve theme. Just found out how to change it back and it looks way better again  :cheers:. Looks very professional to my eyes. When I came on and saw the theme was YaBB SE Classic 2.0 I thought everything was way too large and very grade school looking. Obviously my vote goes to the curve theme!

End of the day though if users have to option to change it then it isn't a huge deal. For first time visitors though I think the curve theme sets a better looking forum overall.

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 04, 2015, 10:19:10 pm
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2012, 05:24:23 pm »
personally i like the default smf theme. with a few customizations, i think it could be a decent theme for everyone.

planetjay

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 22, 2019, 10:50:57 pm
  • Ex-Evil Admin Monkey.
    • planetjay.com
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2012, 01:40:41 pm »
I, of course, like it. But then I did do the graphic for it.
planetjay.com. Still in Chicago. Still no hurricanes!

DeLuSioNal29

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 20, 2023, 11:39:06 pm
  • Build the impossible -"There is no Spoon"
    • DeLuSioNaL's YouTube Videos
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2012, 09:14:48 pm »
Here's your reminder.   ;D
Stop by my Youtube channel and leave a comment:

lilshawn

• Offline Offline
« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2012, 11:39:12 am »
Here's your reminder.   ;D

;D

Namco

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 02, 2024, 08:30:10 pm
  • Now addicted to Williams pins... all of them.
    • Freddo Mame Project
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2012, 01:02:23 pm »
I say Curve. YabbSE looks extremely dated and the dark Back in Black is just too damn dark. Curve looks very web 3.0 and the touches of powder blue, mango, and salmon (my wife would be so proud of me if she reads this) are aesthetically pleasing. I am awash in pleasing tones and shapes when I scroll through Curve's pages and the gentle alternating shading between each message invites my eye to come on over and take a look at another post. As opposed to Back in Black's hard edges and abrupt sectioning, each post hits me like a jackboot kicking me in the face and I can't find where to go. Where I was once in a familiar place, now I am lost.

On all the webpages I make, I always choose a theme (or edit the CSS) that resembles Back in Black, it's my comfort zone. But it looks unprofessional, like something a WoW guild leader would throw together or a CS:S clan would make.

Curve is just pro. It's modern, aesthetically pleasing, and comfortable, like an Ikea showroom I just want to stay all day.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2012, 01:07:28 pm by Namco »

rCadeGaming

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 20, 2023, 09:16:09 pm
  • Just call me Rob!
« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2012, 12:20:26 pm »
I think it looks great as it is right now.  I'm running whatever the current default is. 

It's very easy to read and to navigate.  I think that should be the prime concern, not how cool it looks.

Santoro

• Purveyor of Shiny Arcade Goodness
  • Santoro
  • Trade Count: (+32)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 23, 2023, 07:05:04 pm
  • Boycott Quarters!!!
    • ArcadeReplay!
« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2012, 05:46:20 pm »
Voted for Curve.  It's much easier on the eyes than the old default.  It also feels up to date.