Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Project Rehab  (Read 2610 times)

virtuallyunlimited

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 07, 2021, 03:12:07 pm
Project Rehab
« on: July 05, 2012, 03:35:34 pm »
Howdy all! This is my first project that I am posting after lurking here for quite a while. this will be my third MAME cab. I picked up this cab from Craigslist inexpensively. It was up and running as a MAME cab already with ArcadeOS running on a Pentium machine with an iPac hooked up to the jamma harness and a hacked VGA cable directly to the PC. It came with leaf switch sticks and buttons. These will be replaced as I really can't get used to not hearing the click of cherries while playing games. The cabinet is a mess and I was hoping for some opinions on an appropriate way to go.
Here is the cab as I got it:

Just look at the placement of player 2s third button! Also it had a very high quality bezel and marque...(please note the sarcasm). And yes that is a bartop that I started in the background as well.

The cabinet appears to have been a Time Pilot cab as that is the tag inside:

But it definitely ran 1943 for a long time, look at that burn:

I have stripped the cabinet and plan on cleaning it and painting it all black. I am not too concerned with restoring it to Time Pilot cab as there are others out there for cheap.
The guts of the machine will be replaced with a "modern" PC probably running XP and GLaunch. The PC is no issue as that is where my actual talents and job responsibilities lie. The monitor will be a 21" 4:3 LCD that I have had for a bit. I am debating on whether is should go horizontal or vertical. most games I play are horizontal. It will all be fed via Happ controls and cherry switches and what I believe is a first gen iPac:

I just need to find the app to do a custom key assignment on it so that I can make my own setup. Does anyone also know if there is better response using this as a USB device rather than PS2 keyboard? I see the jumper for it, and I believe I can still get the cable from Andy.

Finally the big question. This cab has a metal control panel:

All the previous cabs I have had use wood for the control panel. I have nothing against metal, however I want to do a two player 6 button setup on this one. Since there are way too many holes already in this panel and they are all in the wrong places, and some will overlap somewhat with the new button placement, Can I just make my control panel out of say 3/4 MDF, then attach that to the metal panel that is there after drilling through the holes from the wood? Has anyone done this or should I really A) replace the whole control panel that is there with wood or B) replace the existing control panel with metal?

If B) does anyone know where in Maine something like this could be fabbed up with my preferred button placement?  Oh and did I mention I am a cheap bstard. Wood I can do and cheap, but my concern is it looking decent when complete.

So, I apologize for the ramble...Here is the sum up. I am rehabbing this once time pilot cab to house a 21" 4:3 LCD It will be all black with Neon Green T molding, ball top stick and buttons. As clean and simple as I can make it.
Do I go vertical or horizontal, as I mostly play horizontal games.
Are the original iPacs better via PS2 connection or USB?
With what or how should I build the Control panel?

Thanks for looking and any advice or encouragement you may have.

Seith

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 08, 2018, 10:50:41 am
Re: Project Rehab
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2012, 03:57:30 pm »
All the previous cabs I have had use wood for the control panel. I have nothing against metal, however I want to do a two player 6 button setup on this one. Since there are way too many holes already in this panel and they are all in the wrong places, and some will overlap somewhat with the new button placement, Can I just make my control panel out of say 3/4 MDF, then attach that to the metal panel that is there after drilling through the holes from the wood? Has anyone done this or should I really A) replace the whole control panel that is there with wood or B) replace the existing control panel with metal?

You shouldn't need to do that.  If some of the new holes you plan on drilling overlap *somewhat* as you mention, it should still be fine.  You can cover the unused old holes with artwork, then cover everything with some plexiglass which should hold the buttons in place just fine.  As long as about 65-75% of the new holes have an edge your buttons should not slide, especially if they are also screwed into plexiglass.

Nephasth

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2012, 05:19:18 pm »
If you want to sell the metal control panel, I am VERY interested...

virtuallyunlimited

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2012, 05:41:44 pm »
Seith, That looks like it would work. I sketched out the layout and the parts in red are the overlap:

Nephasth, I think I am going to try making this panel work. It is already cut up well beyond what it should be. Would measurements off this one help you rebuild one?

Nephasth

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2012, 05:56:48 pm »
Nephasth, I think I am going to try making this panel work. It is already cut up well beyond what it should be. Would measurements off this one help you rebuild one?

I've got a Centuri The Pit cab that I have Arkanoid installed in. I'm thinking about installing a JAMMA harness in it and running vertical games in it. The CP I have now is set up with a spinner. I'm looking for another Centuri CP like yours to have for joystick games as a swappable panel (holes/layout don't matter). I was just asking because you were contemplating making a new wood panel. The search continues... :-\

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:58:57 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2012, 07:15:58 pm »
If I were you, I'd sell that one to Nephasth and build one out of wood. I don't like where those four buttons all join with an existing hole. Unless you are planning to do a Bondo job, I can see that causing issues with an overlay.
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

sho

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 10, 2022, 10:44:00 am
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2012, 06:27:20 am »
Also, are you set on this linear button placement, instead of something like the alternatives?
http://www.slagcoin.com/joystick/layout.html
Bubble Bobble YAWN

virtuallyunlimited

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2012, 03:40:06 pm »
I found a local guy who will weld in slugs of the proper thickness where the "extra" holes are for cheap so I think I will go that route.

I had not really looked at a curved button layout, though I guess I should at this point...My primary concern is having enough room for player one to play solo and also plenty of room between the two players when playing together. My other MAME cab is made from an Xmen Children of the Atom cab and that has a nice big control panel.

Updates once I have more.

Thanks.

Mat

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 18, 2013, 01:27:14 am
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2012, 01:04:14 am »
I would really like to know what the hell the guy who cut those holes was thinking.  What line of thought could possibly lead one to believe that that was a good idea?

vanrose72

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 25, 2018, 11:19:32 am
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2012, 12:38:37 pm »
I would really like to know what the hell the guy who cut those holes was thinking.  What line of thought could possibly lead one to believe that that was a good idea?

I think the guy wanted a horizontal display, so he created a CP layout and bezel artwork appropriate for playing while standing on the right side of the cab.