Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Japanese Taito Arcade  (Read 13639 times)

Tadao

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 15, 2019, 10:20:31 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Japanese Taito Arcade
« on: November 02, 2011, 02:25:35 pm »
Hi Guys.

This is my new proyect.  

I search for this cabinet for years, and now finally  have one.

This a 14" Taito Taitronics Cabinet.  Is not well documented in the web, but my plan is change this situation.

This machine was very popular in Chile in the 80's. This machine are imported by a firm named Delta. Who change the marquee and put their brands in the machine.

The game is galaxian, (taito version)

Now the machine don't work, but we are working for fix the machine.

I have questions about this machine.

· The cpanel is the same of the jap space invaders?
· Is possible find a replacement for the cpanel, but "compatible for 4 ways joys"?.
· Anybody have any manual o something similar?

Sorry for the pic quality, but this was taken for my mother :dunno

(The marque says: ジュニア ビデオゲーム "Junior Video Game)

Regards
« Last Edit: November 02, 2011, 04:46:02 pm by Tadao »

madmatt

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 08, 2015, 08:47:54 am
Re: Japanese Taito Arcade
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2012, 06:23:57 am »
That one crazy looking CP.  Why they hell would they place it on the front at a crappy angle.  That thing look hard to play.
Have fun...

MM

OUT :afro:

dextercf

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 10, 2022, 05:26:18 pm
  • [thisispersonal]
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2012, 06:27:39 am »
That one crazy looking CP.  Why they hell would they place it on the front at a crappy angle.  That thing look hard to play.
Have fun...
+1

Would be better to snap on a cocktail CP?

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 06, 2024, 02:16:34 pm
  • <insert personal text here>
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2012, 09:36:27 am »
Cool find, I am guessing you don't want to change anything structurally but instead do some "under the hood" updates so to speak.  A lot of players who didn't grow up with those layout bristle at the sight of them but I say rock that cab back to its former glory.

The control panel is metal yes?  It doesn't look terrible, only needs a new decal.  I would change out the current joy and just put a 4 way in it's place.  At the most you will have to move a few bolt holes or even tac-weld on new retainer bolts depeding how how it was done.   As for the art you may want to take everything off the CP and then scan it at high resolution, repair digitally, then print an adhesive replacement because I haven't seen that overlay around.  Doesn't mean it's not out there though. 

This is a unique little machine, best of luck in your refurb and keep posting pics. 

DamagedGoods

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 24, 2012, 12:39:17 pm
    • CWorks ~ Waste of space
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2012, 05:52:11 pm »
That is A cocktail CP.
I have them for my Taito style cocktail restore.
the outer part is plastic
« Last Edit: February 15, 2012, 06:09:26 pm by DamagedGoods »

opt2not

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 02, 2024, 07:42:30 pm
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2012, 08:26:18 pm »
Wow, cool cabinet. Haven't seen one of those before. Though, I've never seen Chile before either... :lol

Good luck with your restore...looking forward to seeing this in it's original glory!

paigeoliver

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 29, 2022, 06:10:15 pm
  • Awesome face!
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2012, 07:27:32 pm »
You can install a 4-way stick into that panel with no problem at all, you don't need a new panel. I have installed 4-ways into at least a half dozen japanese minis and cocktails that originally had two way sticks. It never required much work.
Acceptance of Zen philosophy is marred slightly by the nagging thought that if all things are interconnected, then all things must be in some way involved with Pauly Shore.

garylester

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 12, 2012, 11:16:42 am
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2012, 07:14:22 am »
Looks like a great cabinet you have there!

Will be great to see some pictures of it when it is restored!

dextercf

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 10, 2022, 05:26:18 pm
  • [thisispersonal]
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2012, 02:14:39 pm »
That is A cocktail CP.
I have them for my Taito style cocktail restore.
the outer part is plastic
Actually, I was thinking about something like this style here.
I see now how frankenstein this might be, so never mind this. Keep it original, that's gonna be cooler!  8)

Tadao

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2012, 01:10:46 pm »
Hi Guys, Two weeks ago my arcade was shipped from Santiago of Chile to my new Home in the Patagonia.  Whith the cabinet in my hands y can see better the thing to do. 

· The Power supply is not working, but this week with the help of my father in law the power supply is working again (the zenner diodes in taito ower supply is a common failure).

· The monitor only show red color when the machine is turned on (without a board). This is normal?

· The game is not working (Taito Galaxian Board). I send the board to a friend with experience repairing taito boards.

My idea is try to keep the machine the most original as possible, but the control panel is only two way. This is a limitation, because i have a star force vertical board.  I buy a Sanwa 4 way controller.  The idea is replacing the 2 way control for this, but y don't want drill the control panel.

The wood is in very well condition, whit a few scratches (is a 30 years old machine), Looks good, and in my opinion repaint and sand is not necesary (for now)

Soon i post pics of the process of "Resurrection".

p.d: "The marquee says "Junior Video Game" " and is 140 cms tall.

Regards

alfonzotan

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 28, 2023, 08:39:45 am
    • The Cab With No Name
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2012, 03:28:18 pm »
Hi Guys, Two weeks ago my arcade was shipped from Santiago of Chile to my new Home in the Patagonia. 

I hereby move this machine be dubbed "The Dread Pirate Roberts Arcade."

Tadao

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2012, 10:37:34 pm »
I got news of this machine.

The power supply it's fixed, and now…  Is working!
The second step was create a Jamma adapter with this adapter the machine is start to reborn.  I Put a Konami Asterix for test the rest of machine, and this are the results:

Power Supply: OK (it's fixed only replacing 3 zenner diodes)
Audio: Working
Controls: Working
Monitor: Needs work to be fine.  Not show Green Color, and the image don't fill the screen, and can see some vertical white lines. Any Suggestions for repair this?

It's not bad, for a 30 years old machine.

Regards

MaxVolume

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 30, 2012, 01:52:38 pm
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2012, 12:49:06 pm »

Wow, I really like that machine... I agree that it'd be uncomfortable to play, though.  Maybe kids would find it more comfortable, hence the "Junior" distinction.  Honestly, if I ever got a warehouse or large storage space where I could hoard these things, I'd keep it just like it was and probably never play it.  I love Japanese stuff, particularly arcade cabinets.  Obviously it would be nice to get it working again, but I'm sitting here thinking that one day I'd like to go around finding cabs like this and putting them away in a garage or something once I got them working.  Unfortunately I'll probably never have that luxury, and even if I do one day, all the good cabs will probably be gone.  I'd love to find a few obscure cabs like this just to preserve them as art pieces.  Obviously pictures are cheaper, and part of my current MAME project will be displaying cabinet photos, especially mini-cabs, so I need to start gathering photos.  Thanks for sharing!  :pics

Tadao

• Offline Offline
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2012, 11:15:45 pm »
Progress:

The monitor is fixed now. The problem was a bad zenner diode in the G drive, and a bad transistor in the power of monitor. The spare parts cost less of 2 dollars, and the machine is running again.  The tube is in very good condition, is super bright, but the machine had a polarizated acrylic.

(Short Video)

Playing stand up is very unconfortable, but is perfect if you play sitted like a candy cab.

I'm very happy with the progress, the machine only cost 100 dolllars aprox, and the spare parts another 2USD.  Now i'm waiting for my star force pcb, and sanwa four way Joystick.

Max Volume, you don't need a large warehouse for preserve a machine, the machines are beautifull and are great for a living room (my wife don't say the same  :lol), also  i scanned the instruction cards and upload to my host, for share with the community.

http://www.arimedia.cl/taito/galaxiantaito.jpg 8megs.

Regards!

« Last Edit: June 26, 2012, 11:20:04 pm by Tadao »

MaxVolume

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 30, 2012, 01:52:38 pm
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2012, 01:05:41 pm »
Max Volume, you don't need a large warehouse for preserve a machine, the machines are beautifull and are great for a living room (my wife don't say the same  :lol)

Exactly... my wife seems okay with my MAME cocktail table in the living room and mini-cab in the foyer, but I think that's my limit.  The pinball project I have planned will have to go in the "guest room" (aka man cave), and if I ever get a driving chassis, it'll probably just have to fold up and be stored in the garage when not in use.