Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Tron won't move in two directions. Used to, though.  (Read 1865 times)

Dervacumen

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 12, 2024, 01:58:21 am
  • Home of Three Squares dice game
    • Beaker Games
Tron won't move in two directions. Used to, though.
« on: March 12, 2012, 05:23:41 pm »
I also posted at KLOV but I'm stumped.
I had a working Tron machine.  then I unwisely decided to start the restoration.  I figured a good cleaning of the control panel and controls would be a good way to ease in to this project.
I took out the controls, cleaned them up and reassembled.  Pretty straightforward.  I didn't fully disassemble the joystick, only the clam shell and trigger.  It looks killer now, BTW.
Problem is, Tron won't go down or right anymore.  And the Player 2 start button doesn't either, and it used to.  I checked connections, checked continuity of the leaf switches with a multimeter to make sure they work when pressed (yes they do), re-soldered one broken wire on the Up direction switch.  I then traced the wiring back to the connector that plugs in to the board, and the wiring appears good and has continuity.  I verified the molex connectors were inserted properly.

All I can figure is that one of the chips on the board is bad, but I wonder why only two directions would get weird and not all of them?  Is that even possible, Or am I completely botching the troubleshooting process?  Any thoughts?
I guess I can reflow the solder on those two switches, and also reflow the solder on the surface mount connector.  I pulled the board and didn't see anything obviously wrong.

« Last Edit: May 13, 2012, 02:28:34 pm by SirPeale »
Bringing to life a child's imagination.

THE POKER BRAT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 04, 2015, 05:50:58 am
Re: Tron won't move in two directions. Used too, though.
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2012, 02:57:47 pm »
My gorf mini does something like that,..it wont go down.. :cry:
WANT LIST: , asteroids mini, crazy climber mini, tron mini, goldball PINBALL,.

Dervacumen

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 12, 2024, 01:58:21 am
  • Home of Three Squares dice game
    • Beaker Games
Re: Tron won't move in two directions. Used too, though.
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2012, 12:29:03 am »
After a lot of troubleshooting, I found the problem to be a bad molex connection that was adjusting weird when I put the CP back on the machine.  That's why it checked out okay when I ran my continuity checks with the CP tilted up from home position.  Good new is I also found several other loose wires, reflowed a bunch of connections, and got to know very well the wiring harness.

So...if your Gorf mini won't go down, I'm now convinced it's a wiring issue, or an issue with the switch.
Bringing to life a child's imagination.