Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Trying to create monitor presets for KT-2914 (Betson-Kortek) MultiSync  (Read 14730 times)

Pixelhugger

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Offline Offline
Re: Trying to create monitor presets for KT-2914 (Betson-Kortek) MultiSync
« Reply #200 on: April 04, 2018, 07:15:29 pm »
Sorry to bump this but it's been helpful to read through all this info in one place, so here it goes...

I also have the Betson/Kortek and after years of running 800x600 decided to read up on CRT emudriver and take the plunge.

I was able to successfully install everything (Radeon HD4890/Windows7 clean install/CRT emudriver 2/vmmaker) and followed Calamitys awesome step by step instructions for the 4350. Swapping monitors went well as did VMM - generating and installing the modelines (using the Generic 15khz preset) and installing super resolutions went well too. Beautiful to see Mame running at native resolutions. At this point I was successfully at the end of Calamity's step by step guide and able to launch games at their native resolutions. Since the vertical games didn't fit (my betson is horizontal) and most games needed significant geometry adjustments I decided to load the d9800 profile in VMM and install those modelines before making the OSD adjustments per 8bitmonks guide.

However when I switched over to the d9800 preset, generated modelines and installed them, my screen went black (video black not powered off) and wouldn't come back up. I did NOT get an "out of range" mesage on the screen as I would with an unsupported resolution. I switched monitors (the temporary LCD and Betson) back and forth and got to a state where I could select Generic 15kz preset again, generate and install the modelines and the Betson monitor came back up.

Im hoping someone who has done this before me can help troubleshoot a bit.

I'm going to start over with a fresh Windows install (to avoid windows remembering previous configs and causing problems), wondering if there's something I'm missing in changing from "Generic 15" to the D9800 preset that is causing a problem? Before installing the d9800 modelines I think I recall it generated a line at the bottom of the list for a 1280 x (some number I cant recall, maybe 768) resolution which seemed high to me as I didn't think the 9800 could go past 800x600. I know my betson cant. I hadn't used 8bitmonks settings, just the built in d9800 setting in VMM. Should I have copied 8bitmonks settings over and used them from the beginning during the initial installation instead of the Generic 15?

Any help is MUCH appreciated.

Also, much appreciation to Calamity for the staggering amount of work and research put into the CRT emudriver/Groovymame project.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2018, 11:28:18 pm by Pixelhugger »
Project mega thread HERE

buttersoft

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Is running at 15kHz
« Reply #201 on: April 05, 2018, 03:00:55 am »
Hmmm, the 4890 has two analog outputs iirc. Did you try switching outputs?

Pixelhugger

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #202 on: April 07, 2018, 11:26:48 pm »
Hey Buttersoft

Thanks for the tip. I got it working on the other (DVI) port (vs the VGA).

OMG the games look amazing. I'm assuming its normal when exiting a game for the screen to "scramble" for a fraction of a second as the resolution switches back to the desktop res? I only ask because I'm really paranoid I'm going to fry my monitor. I remember reading somewhere that as long as the screen looks good the monitor isn't being driven improperly. *crosses fingersg

Now I need to donate to Calamitys site
Project mega thread HERE

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31