Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: DERPCade  (Read 3317 times)

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 04, 2015, 10:19:10 pm
DERPCade
« on: December 23, 2011, 02:04:27 pm »
Just a simple placeholder for my stupid n00b project. We shall call this one the DERPCade  ;D

I'm actually going to build it against the conceptual plans available at katorlegaz.com

« Last Edit: December 24, 2011, 07:10:14 pm by 404 »

wp34

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 10, 2022, 09:48:19 pm
Re: DERPCade
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2011, 03:22:11 pm »
I like the color scheme. Is that what you are going with?

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2011, 12:44:41 pm »
I like the color scheme. Is that what you are going with?

I'm not sure yet. I'm really just making this for fun right now. Nothing more. This will likely not be my permanent bartop.

Here are some updates. I trimmed the side width just a bit. Actually thinking of going a bit more and lowering the monitor stand in order to squeeze in a thin marquee at the top.

BobA

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 11, 2018, 09:52:14 pm
  • What Me Worry?
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2011, 01:27:18 pm »
Have to agree with you on lowering the monitor.  You can do away with the shelf if you add a board to the back of your monitor using the vesa mounting screw holes.  Then the board is attached to the sides of the cab with cleats or brackets.

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2011, 02:04:33 pm »
Have to agree with you on lowering the monitor.  You can do away with the shelf if you add a board to the back of your monitor using the vesa mounting screw holes.  Then the board is attached to the sides of the cab with cleats or brackets.

Yeah I thought of that. I even managed to make a tilting vesa mount out of an existing vesa mount i gutted from another old monitor that died on me a few months ago. My issue is that I'm still a stupid n00b when it comes to wood working. My original idea was to follow the dimensions exactly. However, what i quickly found out was that it seems this cab was nothing more than concept art and there are FAR less instructions on how to make this cab than there is for, per say, a weecade. With that said i felt this was a safer bet considering the few cuts involved and such few curves. I actually finished building the basic frame sans the back panel yesterday but i felt it was way too wide. All i wanted was a small experimental single player cab. Shortly after those pics were taken, i shaved width down from 20 inches to 17 and felt compelled to go down to 16 but i realized i needed space to work the monitor and some other electronics into it.

I just finished going into the back yard and using a chisel and rubber mallet to remove the monitor mounts that i set up and lowered them roughly about an inch down. I also noticed that the control panel on the plans are ridiculously long. Roughly 10 inches from the base of the rest of the cab. I may shave that down a bit as well.

This project is really nothing more than an experiment, just for fun. Hence the DERP name on the cab.

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2011, 07:07:08 pm »
well,i lowered the monitor shelf by simply turning over the pieces of fur that i was using to hold them up. lowered the monitor drastically. Also cut 1 inch from the front of the CP and lowered the angle by 1/2". The good news is that the monitor looks MUCH better there and the pc just barely fits under the shelf. The bad news is, the power supply does not. :(

kind of contemplating my next move here...

BobA

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 11, 2018, 09:52:14 pm
  • What Me Worry?
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2011, 09:15:34 pm »
Can you cut a notch in your shelf for the PS?  The monitor looks like it could rest on the PS since it is at the same level as the shelf.

jimmy2x2x

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 19, 2018, 01:29:48 am
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2011, 09:25:21 pm »
Wouldn't it be better to scrap the shelf and have the monitor braced from behind?

The monitor would be more secure and you would have a lot more room to work.

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2011, 09:48:11 am »
Wouldn't it be better to scrap the shelf and have the monitor braced from behind?

The monitor would be more secure and you would have a lot more room to work.

yeah, that's starting to look like it will be the only way i can work everything in comfortably. As i mentioned earlier, my woodworking skills suck so ill have to find a creative way to get the monitor mounted properly.