Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up --- Bug Reports --- Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Repair Dining Room Table Acetone Damage?  (Read 11326 times)

HaRuMaN

• Supreme Solder King
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+45)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 09:24:07 pm
  • boom
    • Arcade Madness
Repair Dining Room Table Acetone Damage?
« on: November 22, 2011, 11:58:18 am »
So...  being the dumbass that I am, I was working on a RROD 360 on the dining room table.  I was using acetone and a toothbrush to remove excess thermal compound from the chips (the compound was shorting the resistors). 

Then, I knock over the acetone, and spill about a 12" diameter circle on the wood table, which promptly ate off some of the finish.   :banghead: :banghead:

What's the best way to go about repairing this?  Currently I have the tablecloth on there so my wife doesn't see it... 

HaRuMaN

• Supreme Solder King
  • Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • boom
    • Arcade Madness
Re: Repair Dining Room Table Acetone Damage?
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2011, 12:59:28 pm »
Lighter fluid, noted.

Any way to just refinish the spot?  Maybe clean it up with some 000 steel wool and re-lacquer?

crashwg

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 24, 2019, 11:01:05 am
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2011, 01:04:53 pm »
Lighter fluid, noted.

Any way to just refinish the spot?  Maybe clean it up with some 000 steel wool and re-lacquer?

While that should work, getting a perfect match is next to impossible.

If it were me, and the table was more than say 5 years old I would refinish the table.  This time of year I'd probably put a table cloth on till spring though...
« Last Edit: November 22, 2011, 01:06:33 pm by crashwg »
If there's bees in the trap I'm catching em
By the thorax and abdomen
And sanding the stingers down to a rough quill
Then I dip em in ink, and I scribble a bit
But if it they wriggle then I tickle em until they hold still
Lemme say it again
In my land of pretend
I use bees as a mf'n pen

stu33

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 02, 2017, 07:36:55 am
    • Cheese Is a Lifestyle
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2011, 01:09:40 pm »
Cut out the damaged area, put in touchscreen...table jukebox.
http://cheeseisalifestyle.blogspot.com

Hey...don't judge me...everyone has a blog nowadays...

knave

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 24, 2020, 02:19:23 am
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2011, 01:21:31 pm »
Trick your wife into setting a hot plate onto that spot so she thinks she did it...then if you fix it your a hero if not your at least not in the dog house.

HaRuMaN

• Supreme Solder King
  • Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • boom
    • Arcade Madness
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2011, 01:25:36 pm »
Trick your wife into setting a hot plate onto that spot so she thinks she did it...then if you fix it your a hero if not your at least not in the dog house.

Best idea so far...   ;D

HaRuMaN

• Supreme Solder King
  • Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • boom
    • Arcade Madness
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2011, 01:33:05 pm »
Lighter fluid, noted.

While that should work, getting a perfect match is next to impossible.

If it were me, and the table was more than say 5 years old I would refinish the table.  This time of year I'd probably put a table cloth on till spring though...

Table is less than a year old...   :'(

drventure

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 01, 2019, 06:15:33 pm
  • Laser Death Ray Bargain Bin! Make me an offer!
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2011, 01:34:55 pm »
Cut out the damaged area, put in touchscreen...table jukebox.

Damn, beat me to it!  :D

Seriously though, matching it will be next to impossible. Get some stripper, strip it, sand, stain and refinish. Mask the edges so you only have to deal with the very top of the table. Since it's all flat, it won't be too tough.

Stinks though. I dripped a little alcohol on mine at one point (had two towels AND a hardboard work surface down and still managed to get a little on the table). It futzed the finish slightly but I was able to get it cleaned up before too much damage was done.

Vigo

• the Scourage of Carpathia
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 03:33:08 pm
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2011, 01:42:54 pm »
I dont know the extent of the damage, but for small wounds, Old English Scratch cover does work.

For a normal human being, matching wood finish is pretty much impossible. There are a few trade masters out there that can match perfectly, but it takes years and years of experience. I personally have tried myself on window trim, and it was a process. I had about 7 different stains I blended, and had a piece of same unfinished wood to test on (wood type affects stain color). I came up with something that was close enough that you didn't notice it wasn't a match unless you were directly looking for it.

My advice, work your way up to it. If you are happy with your touch up work, why bother refinishing the entire surface? If you are unhappy, you can still refinish. Don't make it a big project unless you have to. If anything, touch-up will help you in creating a very similar wood finish to the original.

HaRuMaN

• Supreme Solder King
  • Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • boom
    • Arcade Madness
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2011, 01:54:52 pm »
The acetone didn't make it through to the stain, just partially through the lacquer, but it's visible damage, for sure.

drventure

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 01, 2019, 06:15:33 pm
  • Laser Death Ray Bargain Bin! Make me an offer!
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2011, 02:25:56 pm »
Hmm, well, I've done something similar to this and it worked, but for a whole dining table I'm not sure.

Basically, clean the whole table well.

Then lightly sand the whole thing with very fine (400, maybe even 800 grit paper). Vacuum, then wipe it down with cheese cloth to remove all dust.

Then reapply a lacquer coat to the whole top. I'd just be concerned you get a "pit" where the acetone had spilled, but a light sanding to smooth that out should take care of it. Doing that, you shouldn't have to restain anything. You may have to repeat the process several times.

I +know+ that it's generally safe to sand lacquer (or just about any clear top coat) and apply another coat on top. That's how you'll typically build up a clear coat. My buffet top has 8 coats of wipeon poly, each one sanded lightly except the last.

Just make sure you're using the same type of finish. (Lacquer on lacquer, poly on poly, etc). Otherwise, you'll have a huge mess.

If you can test somewhere underneath or something would be best....

Vigo

• the Scourage of Carpathia
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 03:33:08 pm
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2011, 03:25:54 pm »
Just make sure you're using the same type of finish. (Lacquer on lacquer, poly on poly, etc). Otherwise, you'll have a huge mess.

From the way it sounds that acetone sounds like it ate the coat alive, I would place my bet on it being poly. Acetone eats many polymers for breakfast. If you are ever bored, throw foam packing peanuts into a bowl of acetone. It's good fun.  ;D