Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Sanwa JL-W Restrictor Plate - won't move - [SOLVED]  (Read 1578 times)

zorrobandito

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 22, 2015, 07:19:44 am
    • Zorro's Classic Games
Sanwa JL-W Restrictor Plate - won't move - [SOLVED]
« on: October 31, 2011, 09:58:36 pm »
Hi all,

I bought two new sticks for my cab, swapping out the original Euro versions. They look and feel great (though the hole cover sticks to my hand and rattles around a bit) but I cannot master the restrictor plate. If I loosen the screws enough to let me turn the plate, it barely restricts the stick's movement at all and the benefits are negligible but tightening them means I can't seem to move it at all. I see that the packaging talks about being able to use a coin to turn the plate but I cannot work out where it would go.

Any advice? I'm feeling a bit thick because it clearly claims that it is easy to do and I'm guessing by the lack of YouTube how-to's that it's just me :-(

The plate looks exactly like the one on Ultimarc's J-Stik but I bought it from a local supplier (OzStick):

« Last Edit: November 01, 2011, 06:02:34 am by zorrobandito »

zorrobandito

• Offline Offline
    • Zorro's Classic Games
Re: Sanwa JL-W Restrictor Plate - won't move
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2011, 06:02:07 am »
In modifying this post, looking for photos (and describing the problem to my wife), I've realised what the problem is. My stick came supplied with small metal washers rather than the wide plastic lugs in the pictures. Consequently the washers sit in the recesses and prevent the plate from turning. I guess I'll have to go and buy some plastic washers!

thebyter

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 11:22:37 pm
Re: Sanwa JL-W Restrictor Plate - won't move
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2011, 03:24:24 pm »
I guess I'll have to go and buy some plastic washers!

If you find some, please let us know!  My JLW's came the same way, and I was a little puzzled about the toothed "gear" around the restrictor -- why make it easy to turn if you have to mostly unscrew the four screws to do so?  I'd resigned myself to living with them as is (they're great sticks, regardless!), but if you come up with a good solution I'd love to steal it!  8-)

Nephasth

Re: Sanwa JL-W Restrictor Plate - won't move - [SOLVED]
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2011, 03:30:16 pm »
Why not just use washers that don't fit in the recess?

thebyter

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 11:22:37 pm
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2011, 03:40:31 pm »
Why not just use washers that don't fit in the recess?
That makes sense, but I still want the restrictor to be snug.  I don't want it randomly moving around as I play from above; I just want it easy to switch from 8-way to 4-way "on demand" -- and then stay in that mode until I intentionally move it back.  As zorrobandito mentioned, it seems like finding a plastic washer with the right "pliancy" might be the ticket.  If it'll hold the restrictor snug during play, but not so snug that it can't be turned without loosening the screws, WIN!

It's not a huge conundrum, I just found a kindred spirit and thought I'd take advantage of his research.  8-)

zorrobandito

• Offline Offline
    • Zorro's Classic Games
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2011, 07:01:26 am »
A quick update:

It's not these: Nylon Washer M6 Flat Why (HP0322) from Duratech, nor is it these: 5/32" brass flat washer from Zenith.

The Nylon washers' centre-hole was too wide and let the original metal washer fall through and the brass washer just holds the plate in place a little too well.

Will keep you informed.