Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: :facepalm:  (Read 4840 times)

Blux

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 17, 2024, 12:49:33 am
:facepalm:
« on: July 11, 2011, 04:15:06 pm »
*paraphrasing of the conversation I just had*

Me: Hi, would you like $200 for a gutted arcade cabinet?
Duffs Amusement: No, we don't do sales here, we pull all the useful parts out of the arcade machines that break down and burn the empy cabinets
Me: Seriously?
Duffs Amusement: Yeah
Me: *click*

WTF is wrong with people these days...

newmanfamilyvlogs

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 15, 2022, 05:20:38 pm
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,103584.msg1096585.html#msg1096585
    • Newman Family Vlogs
Re: :facepalm:
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2011, 04:30:02 pm »
Go there and ask to help reduce the amount of work and liability they incur by burning the current batch of to-destroy cabinets by taking several gutted cabs.

Sjaak

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 27, 2024, 11:32:28 am
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2011, 04:30:29 pm »
*paraphrasing of the conversation I just had*

Me: Hi, would you like $200 for a gutted arcade cabinet?
Duffs Amusement: No, we don't do sales here, we pull all the useful parts out of the arcade machines that break down and burn the empy cabinets
Me: Seriously?
Duffs Amusement: Yeah
Me: *click*

WTF is wrong with people these days...

So they would rather burn it than get $200? :banghead:

Sjaak

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 27, 2024, 11:32:28 am
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2011, 04:31:14 pm »
Go there and ask to help reduce the amount of work and liability they incur by burning the current batch of to-destroy cabinets by taking several gutted cabs.

Yeah, and charge them $50 per cab to do that...

CheffoJeffo

• Cheffo's right! ---saint
  • Wiki Master
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 06, 2024, 09:33:37 pm
  • Worthless button pusher!
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2011, 04:45:15 pm »
First off -- welcome!

Stripping and burning is fairly common, although I'm not sure it has anything to do with competition. Folks don't want to store bunches of big empty wooden boxes.

Who did you talk to ? If you were talking to the receptionist, well then I would totally expect the response that you got. You want to talk to the guy who strips the cabs down and see if he can call you next time he does (it will help if you have a particular cab style in mind). Also bear in mind that ops get calls from noobs looking for a shell who never show up or take up more time than the op is willing to spend.

$200 is WAY too much for a gutted cabinet, unless you are taking up way too much of the ops time. At least half of my complete, working cabs cost less than that.

Lastly, should you get that call, be ready with cash and vehicle to make a quick pickup. Ops don't like to wait.

Keep at it -- you'll get one.

:cheers:

Working: Not Enough
Projects: Too Many
Progress: None

Well Fed Games

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 06, 2022, 07:30:46 pm
  • Delicious!
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2011, 04:52:49 pm »
That's too bad... the Ms. Pac Cab my current project is made out of would probably have been considered firewood by those folks (and it still cost me $80  :angry:). Hard to believe they couldn't eventually be talked down to under $100 for a board-and-monitorless-but-structurally-sound cab.

I agree, though, the amusement companies seem to live on a different planet than the rest of us, hesitant to let a hobbyist have a cab but more than willing to let them take up warehouse space and rot, or break them up and burn them.
Completed projects: Pac bartop (Plug & Play), 30th Anniversary Pac cab (MAME), Point Blank (PS1), Centipede (arcade hardware- light restore), VS. Super Mario Bros (arcade hardware- light restore) Tetris Cocktail (SNES), Arcade Classics upright (60-in-1, then MAME), Multi-Raiden (arcade hardware). Pac Man vs.(Gamecube),

Working on: Pinball Re-theme, Homebrew arcade arena shooter

Vigo

• the Scourage of Carpathia
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 21, 2024, 08:20:28 am
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2011, 04:57:37 pm »
They'd rather burn it than supply a potential competitor.  This kind of thing is more common than you'd think....

Yeah, I went to a local place because I saw them stripping down some cabinets. I asked to buy one of their old midway coin doors lying there. They refused to sell to me saying that I was probably competition in disguise. Like competition would really come asking to buy a single, common coin door.  ::)

newmanfamilyvlogs

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 15, 2022, 05:20:38 pm
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,103584.msg1096585.html#msg1096585
    • Newman Family Vlogs
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2011, 05:01:21 pm »
I lucked out at the place I asked at.. Walked away with several joysticks, 20-30 buttons, a trackball, one full cab (GT Classic), a Tekken 3 with monitor+board, and a handful of other PCBs. They were just throwing them all away.

RayB

• I'm not wearing pants! HA!
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 13, 2024, 10:21:06 pm
  • There's my post
    • RayB.com
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2011, 05:25:27 pm »
They refused to sell to me saying that I was probably competition in disguise. Like competition would really come asking to buy a single, common coin door.  ::)
In disguise? How were you dressed, trench coat and Groucho Marx glasses?!? WTF. Is there an official "vending competition" uniform?
NO MORE!!

ark_ader

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 02, 2019, 07:35:34 pm
  • I glow in the dark.
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2011, 05:35:22 pm »
I got my Ikari Warrior cab this way.  I called the OP and asked if there was any old cabs, and gave him my number.

The next week I got a call for a cab for $50 - everything perfect minus the monitor (monitor $100).  The rear access door was bad so the OP wanted it gone.

Rotary joysticks and all.  And he had a Tempest too.

Keep trying and you will bag a bargain.  :cheers:

If I had only one wish, it would be for three more wishes.

novamatt

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 20, 2011, 11:25:27 am
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2011, 03:37:06 pm »
I'm curious how you guys find the local operators... do you just go somewhere that has arcade machines and ask who takes care of them?

HaRuMaN

• Supreme Solder King
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+45)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 13, 2024, 04:24:33 pm
  • boom
    • Arcade Madness
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2011, 03:43:50 pm »
I'm curious how you guys find the local operators... do you just go somewhere that has arcade machines and ask who takes care of them?

Sometimes the machines have the operator's info on a sticker.

Vigo

• the Scourage of Carpathia
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 21, 2024, 08:20:28 am
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2011, 03:55:45 pm »
Although near obsolete, the yellow pages do still work these days.  8)  Check under "Amusement"

Well Fed Games

• Offline Offline
  • Delicious!
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2011, 04:26:24 pm »
The one time I hit one up they had put a Craigslist ad up selling old cabs... I thought they would have been a motivated seller since they were advertising.
Completed projects: Pac bartop (Plug & Play), 30th Anniversary Pac cab (MAME), Point Blank (PS1), Centipede (arcade hardware- light restore), VS. Super Mario Bros (arcade hardware- light restore) Tetris Cocktail (SNES), Arcade Classics upright (60-in-1, then MAME), Multi-Raiden (arcade hardware). Pac Man vs.(Gamecube),

gabe

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 10, 2012, 12:44:38 pm
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2011, 04:48:47 pm »
Although near obsolete, the yellow pages do still work these days.  8)  Check under "Amusement"
Using an obsolete tool to find obsolete businesses. Perfect!

ChadTower

• Chief Kicker - Nobody's perfect, including me. Fantastic body.
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 19, 2022, 12:01:54 pm
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2011, 07:42:34 pm »

If they have been taking depreciation of that equipment on their taxes over the years they can't sell it without repaying some of that when they sell it.  If they have taken the full depreciation and written it off as obsolete it is federal law that they must destroy the equipment.  Obsoleted equipment written off on the business' taxes cannot be sold and technically isn't supposed to be stripped either.  It's just supposed to be destroyed and the IRS can even require proof of destruction on some types of equipment.

It could be these people are buttheads but it could also be that they actually listen to their accountant.

Blux

• Offline Offline
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2011, 09:36:27 pm »

If they have been taking depreciation of that equipment on their taxes over the years they can't sell it without repaying some of that when they sell it.  If they have taken the full depreciation and written it off as obsolete it is federal law that they must destroy the equipment.  Obsoleted equipment written off on the business' taxes cannot be sold and technically isn't supposed to be stripped either.  It's just supposed to be destroyed and the IRS can even require proof of destruction on some types of equipment.

It could be these people are buttheads but it could also be that they actually listen to their accountant.

Good point, I guess this could be the case, but surely they could sell a cabinet that had just broken down and been stripped?  Or am I just reading this the wrong way?

Donkbaca

• Our reptillian overlords would be pleased
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 09, 2012, 06:28:10 pm
    • Slim built MAME/Xbox cab
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2011, 12:50:58 am »
No they don't have to destroy it, and yes they can strip it. The parts would just have no value. The only rule is that if you sell the equipment for more than what you have it on the books for, you have to report the gain. The government dies not make you destroy fully depreciated equipment. You can still give it away that is how mist businesses get rid of old computers, they donate then to charity.

Blux

• Offline Offline
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2011, 04:12:16 am »
So this guy could give me an old empty cabinet...

And I could give him $75 for dancing a little jig?

>:D

Donkbaca

• Offline Offline
« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2011, 09:41:01 am »
Just see if they will give it to you, and offer your cash. The idea that they won't sell it to you for tax purposes is dumb. If you offer cash, the probably wouldn't report it, and 100 bucks wouldn't matter for their taxes. Even if they properly reported it, the taxes would be at the 15% capital gains rate. Chances are, the reason they don't sell the old cabs has more to do with not wanting anything to do with geeks. 

gabe

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 10, 2012, 12:44:38 pm
« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2011, 10:00:14 am »
You know... it could also be that the dude just likes throwing a party with a GIANT bonfire.

Well Fed Games

• Offline Offline
  • Delicious!
« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2011, 11:06:52 am »
Just see if they will give it to you, and offer your cash. The idea that they won't sell it to you for tax purposes is dumb. If you offer cash, the probably wouldn't report it, and 100 bucks wouldn't matter for their taxes. Even if they properly reported it, the taxes would be at the 15% capital gains rate. Chances are, the reason they don't sell the old cabs has more to do with not wanting anything to do with geeks. 

Yeah, I don't think the $80 I gave someone for a cab went anywhere but his beer fund, let alone his accountant's records.

Donkbaca

• Offline Offline
« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2011, 11:10:50 am »
I'm a CPA.  I couldn't give 2 ---smurfs--- about 100 bucks here and there that a client was pocketing.  Now, I wouldn't go and TELL him to just pocket the money, but if he did, I wouldn't really care, its not a lot of money in the scheme of things and like I said, he's avoiding, what 15 bucks of taxes?  Taxes have NOTHING to do with the situation.  Like I said, its probably the fact that they don't want to deal with geeks and flakes.  Call, offer cash, show up, be as easy to deal with as possible.

kampcool

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 22, 2011, 04:43:59 am
« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2011, 02:35:23 am »
   My local arcade has been in business since 1969, and I went there (a month ago) to ask the owner if he had any he could part with.   He said he gets that question 100 times a season, and "NO".  I mentioned that I noticed he had alot of machines down and with Monitors that need freshened-up, and he hired me on the spot.  I have been there three weeks, and last week he let me take a tour of his "graveyard" in the basement.  My jaw is still on the floor.  Pictures incomming soon.  Back in the day (he stopped doing this), he would get a team of guys with sledge hammers to bust them down, so they would fit in the dumpster. 

If you cant beat them, join them.  Hoping my foot in the door walks away with at least a few 80s cabs.  Wish me luck guys.   :notworthy:

kampcool

• Offline Offline
« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2011, 06:16:38 am »
    I love this topic, even more so, because of the diverse input so far.  We have guys on both spectrum's of the Arcade Biz, giving VALID points (Extra cool to have some accountants).  Our town has had the pleasure of a "Successful Arcade" since 1969.  It started as a pinball, and expanded.  I ask myself, how is this possible?  Anybody else got hometown coin-ops in business longer?  I have had the pleasure of working there now for a month.  I hate to say it....    I am starting to understand, that the games are NOT the bottom-line money makers, in a succuessfull Family Arcade.  My owner is super smart, with a "special business attitude".   He is brilliant, actually, and I will describe his attitude towards the video game side of things "AS A LABOR OF LOVE 1st", and "AS A LABOR OF NESSECITY -------5TH".

I am slowly accepting, that the "ARCADE" in a successfull "Arcade business", is not profitable.  

The Machines we all "Covet", and "Love", are not worth the initial price, the maintenance price, the price they draw on the electric bill, not even the price it costs to throw them away.

Bottom line, These machines are just "NOISEY-BRIGHT EYE CANDY", to attract consumers into buying "FOOD", I.M.O.      By the time an owner has dedicated to throw a machine away, he is cutting losses already in time and manpower, and doesnt want to waste ANYMORE time.  :banghead:
« Last Edit: July 15, 2011, 06:26:22 am by kampcool »

RayB

• Offline Offline
  • There's my post
    • RayB.com
« Reply #25 on: July 16, 2011, 02:42:27 pm »
I look forward to stories of working for an amusement operator, Kampcool. Is there a guy there who would fit the name "Mumbles" ?
NO MORE!!

kampcool

• Offline Offline
« Reply #26 on: July 17, 2011, 01:11:42 am »
  That would be a negative, no one there that even fits that moniker.  However, I walked in right when the regular tech-guy has been a "no-show", "M.I.A", because of a realestate computer tech job.  Timing is everything in life.  I enjoy being there part time.  I love it more than my real job.  I would work there for free if my wife would let me.  <grin>. 

RayB, are you familiar with my area?  I have been real interested in meeting hobbyists in this neck of the woods.

Im going in tommorow with a fresh set of batteries in my camera.  I will be back with pix of the "GRAVEYARD", I promise.   

RayB

• Offline Offline
  • There's my post
    • RayB.com
« Reply #27 on: July 18, 2011, 04:02:19 pm »
  RayB, are you familiar with my area?  I have been real interested in meeting hobbyists in this neck of the woods.
No, I'm in Toronto. My questions were a joke in reference to the time SirPeale worked for an operator and, well, he had some entertaining stories for us.   :)
NO MORE!!

kampcool

• Offline Offline
« Reply #28 on: July 25, 2011, 12:06:25 pm »
    I can only imagine.     Im going to have to look those conversations up.     I took some pix last week, and it is so dark down there, i only took a few, because of the poor quality.  These are a few I took with the flash, and a spotlight.

http://i797.photobucket.com/albums/yy256/kampcool/Playland/SN851009.jpg[/img]

ahofle

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 30, 2023, 05:10:22 pm
    • Arcade Ambience Project
« Reply #29 on: July 25, 2011, 01:36:51 pm »
 Our town has had the pleasure of a "Successful Arcade" since 1969.  It started as a pinball, and expanded.  I ask myself, how is this possible?  Anybody else got hometown coin-ops in business longer?  

Manitou Springs "Arcade Amusements" (near Colorado Springs) has been around for longer I believe.  They don't have a website so I'm not sure of the exact age, but it's probably been around for 60+ years if I had to guess.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/arcade-amusements-inc-manitou-springs
http://www.yelp.com/biz/manitou-penny-arcade-manitou-springs

They have a ton of classic arcade games and pinballs going back to the 40s.  It's really an amazing place if you're ever in the area.

kampcool

• Offline Offline
« Reply #30 on: August 02, 2011, 06:24:37 am »
Sweet post and leed.  I keep finding reasons to go to Colorado....

My Boss is really wanting to explore the elimination of all CRT's in his machines.  He wants to convert to lcd's, and flatscreens.  Alot of his hardware has been converted to the new linear power supplys, and  as much of a retro stickler I am, maybe this is not such a reach financially, compared to the witch hunt and hours involved in hunting down fixes involved in the late 80's-late 90's screens. 

boardjunkie

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 05, 2019, 06:05:58 pm
« Reply #31 on: August 02, 2011, 10:25:08 am »
Some of the stuff in the pix looks as tho I'd seen it before. What is the place you are talking about? Area? The whole "basement graveyard" thing sounds very familiar....

Gray_Area

• -Banned-
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 23, 2013, 06:52:30 pm
  • -Banned-
« Reply #32 on: August 03, 2011, 03:48:47 pm »
 My Boss is really wanting to explore the elimination of all CRT's in his machines.

You'll have to start your own basement graveyard - of parts.
-Banned-