Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up --- Bug Reports --- Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

  

Author Topic: "Steve-O-Cade" major update to Bigbuffs Arcade Project  (Read 6681 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

bigbuffs

  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 75
  • Last login:April 15, 2016, 04:35:46 pm
Re: "Steve-O-Cade" major update to Bigbuffs Arcade Project
« Reply #40 on: June 22, 2013, 03:16:55 pm »
So I was ready to run all the wires for all the controls. Each button has an RGB led so i decided to get a bunch of cat5 cable that I had laying around and run 1 cat5 wire to each button and then route the wires back to the button and led controllers. Now I had origionally cut a piece of plexi to go onto the top of the control panel but because when I cut the hole for the trackball and the two buttons that will serve as l/r mouse buttons, I didnt take into consideration how much room the trackball housing takes up. Because of this I had to move the mouse buttons up a 1/2" or so. So, I had this piece of plexi I had cut but could no longer use, I decided I would put it under the control panel to help keep it look a little cleaner.
 
I painted the cover black after I ran all the wires.
   
After I got all the wires ran I installed all of the pushbuttons and got every wire hooked up which took forever!!!!

bigbuffs

  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 75
  • Last login:April 15, 2016, 04:35:46 pm
Re: "Steve-O-Cade" major update to Bigbuffs Arcade Project
« Reply #41 on: June 22, 2013, 03:33:58 pm »
OK so now to the artwork. I had Gbeef do the artwork and we played with a few different Ideas and what he ended up with I really loved. I think he did a great job and would defiantly recommend him to anyone who doesn't have the time or skill to design the artwork themselves. I did a test print to make sure all the controls lined up with the CPO and once I got all that lined up I had my CPO printed by gameongrafix. I went to a local shop to have the sideart and marquee printed. The shop didnt have backlit paper that is used on most marquees but he suggested printing it on a window cling that has a white background. It was only like $8 to do that so I figured I would give it a try. Here are some pics of the artwork being installed and what the marquee looks like
   






The marquee turned out pretty good and I made a little youtube video that showed how I did it.

bigbuffs

  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 75
  • Last login:April 15, 2016, 04:35:46 pm
Re: "Steve-O-Cade" major update to Bigbuffs Arcade Project
« Reply #42 on: June 22, 2013, 03:47:07 pm »
Here are a few random pics of things I have added to the arcade. First I decided to buy a new motherboard and proccessor for the arcade and I mounted everything under the the pullout portion of the control panel box. I have the hard drive and PSU all mounted right next to the motherboard. This make everything easier to access and work on. I also had to get a different smart powerstrip for the new motherboard but I like this new strip better than the old one anyway. I also tapped into on of the molex pins from the PSU and created a little power bank that has 12v 5v and ground to make it easier to hook up anything extra that would require those voltages. I also added a 4 port USB hub to the front of the cabinet for hooking up any controllers or any other usb items. I also mounted the sub on the bottom of the cabinet where I still had alot of space. I had to extend all of the wire that run to the audio controls that sit at the top of the cabinet and it all turned out pretty good.

I am going to try take some more pics of the cab as a whole and show how the buttons all look lit up and stuff like that. I am also planning on making a video detailing everything that I have done so far but for now this will be it.