Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Bringing back my dad's favorite - Defender!  (Read 2250 times)

ArcadeClassix

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 07, 2015, 07:33:11 pm
Bringing back my dad's favorite - Defender!
« on: February 04, 2011, 12:51:12 am »
Hello guys, I've been trying to get a Defender arcade for some time now. It was my dad's favorite and subsequently my mom's least favorite because she spent hours standing by my dad while he played it back in the day lol. I finally scored one on eBay for $200 non-working. It's in fantastic shape. All of the art is beautiful, even the control panel only had a couple of cigarette burns but it's authentic and that's what helps make it cool. The boards are all there, the previous owner said the only problem is the main pcb because he said he tested all of the boards in his buddy's Defender and the main pcb is the only one that didn't work.

I got it home and started testing things. I plugged it in, and all I got was a "buzz" from the speakers, nothing on screen. The rom board had all leds lit. I compared the main PCB board to one I had on hand, and I saw that there was some small component that was soldered to a leg on a chip on both, but the one I was testing had come undone so I resoldered it. Nothing again. Also, after this, the rom board leds didn't light. I did get the right startup sound one time after I resoldered the component to the chip leg but it didn't do it again.

I did however, get the sound board to emit a test sound. I read that the test is supposed to cycle through all sounds when the button is pushed, but the test sound just kept repeating the same sound. I also noticed the original power supply board now only showed the -5 volt led when turned on.

I bought a switching power supply kit with adapter from Arcadeshop and put it in tonight. When I disconnected the part of the harness that plugs into the arcadeshop adaptor, and plugged it into the switching PS all of the voltage leds lights lit on the original power supply correctly. This was a step back though, now I have no sound from speaker, and no test sounds. Also, even though I tapped into both 110v AC legs for my new PS, when tested at the PS terminals, didn't show on the multimeter that 110 was going to the terminals.

And that's where I'm at right now. Any help is appreciated!

ArcadeClassix

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 07, 2015, 07:33:11 pm
Re: Bringing back my dad's favorite - Defender!
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2011, 08:53:46 pm »
Nobody have any advice on the issues with my machine? I'm dying to play this thing  :cry: