Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: JERSEY JACK PINBALL  (Read 66831 times)

Donkbaca

• Our reptillian overlords would be pleased
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 09, 2012, 06:28:10 pm
    • Slim built MAME/Xbox cab
Re: JERSEY JACK PINBALL
« Reply #200 on: August 15, 2011, 04:43:39 pm »
All th EMS in my neck of the woods are ridiculously overpriced, people feel like because something is old, it's worth a lot

Jeff AMN

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 25, 2017, 05:26:24 pm
    • Gamer Theory
« Reply #201 on: August 15, 2011, 05:13:28 pm »
I really don't understand the problem.  You might spend $200 on an EM, fix it up, play it awhile, and sell it for a $100 loss?  Who cares?  You blow $100 on dumb crap all the time.

Yeah, depending on how long I have a game, I don't mind taking a $100 hit on a sale. Part of the fun is fixing them anyway, so I see that as time enjoyed. Usually I at least break even or make a few bucks when I sell my stuff though.
http://www.CoinOpShippers.com - The lowest rates on pinball and arcade shipping in the USA.
http://GamerTheory.com - Video Game News, Reviews, Editorials, and Contests
http://www.thepinballpodcast.com/ - The Pinball Podcast - Two Pinheads Talking Pinball

smartbomb2084

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 13, 2021, 03:14:53 pm
  • Having a SMART phone will make you DUMB.
« Reply #202 on: August 15, 2011, 05:27:27 pm »
I have always believed that half the fun of owning a pinball is working on it.  If you aren't 'mechanically inclined' as they say then owning a pinball really isn't for you unless you are just going to turn it on and have it look pretty.  It WILL break if you are actually going to play it for any extended length of time and if you don't  know of a good reliable home tech then you are out of luck if you can't fix it yourself.

If you have had a game for some time and you sell it for what you paid you are not really even but actually ahead because you got to play it for FREE as long as you owned it.

bleargh

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:32:07 pm
  • ribbit...
« Reply #203 on: August 15, 2011, 07:56:32 pm »
(touch-ups done, clear is curing).  Its been a whole lot of work to get it looking nice, but its finally coming together.

That's the sort of advanced work that is totally optional.  It's great to do but a clean and shopped game will play just as well if you don't touch it up and clear it. 

Agreed; I didn't have to go to this effort on the machine.  When I first picked it up I thought I was just going to do a quick cleanup on it, but as I got into it I realized that although my first impression was "not that bad shape" there were more and more things piling up each time I looked at it... multiple spots worn through to the wood, heavy planking, major cupping on all the inserts.  I laughed at myself, and decided that I guess I needed another "summer project" to work on, so I stripped the whole thing down and basically started a restoration of the puppy.

Donkbaca

• Offline Offline
« Reply #204 on: August 15, 2011, 08:10:37 pm »
Don't get me wrong, I think that's great. But as a pin-noob I just want a fun machine to play on, I wouldn't want to spend and a few hundred bucks on something not working in my garage that  I don't know exactly how to fix. I know these things break, but I think it would be easier to fix something that you played and knew worked rather then getting something that didn't play and try to get it working. Anyhow, I would rather pay 1200 for a cleaned up, working pin than 650 for a beater pin, at least for my very first pin.

TopJimmyCooks

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 01:18:39 pm
« Reply #205 on: August 15, 2011, 09:37:16 pm »
I really don't understand the problem.  You might spend $200 on an EM, fix it up, play it awhile, and sell it for a $100 loss?  Who cares?  You blow $100 on dumb crap all the time.

Yeah, depending on how long I have a game, I don't mind taking a $100 hit on a sale. Part of the fun is fixing them anyway, so I see that as time enjoyed. Usually I at least break even or make a few bucks when I sell my stuff though.

I bought the HGOT for market for a player, and I've got $400 in parts and tools.  If I can't fix the original control board, I will never see my cash back out of this thing.  If I can, I can resell my $200 replacement main board for about $175 (says ebay) so I'll be fine.  Gives me some incentive to get soldering.  but, it was worth it because I've got the game to play while screwing with the board.  Then, once my mame rig is done, it will be easier to break the thing down for some more fun restoration to increase the $. 

I will be happy if I clean it, touch up the field and repaint the case and clear enough cash to get a soldering station. 

smartbomb2084

• Offline Offline
« Reply #206 on: August 16, 2011, 12:06:20 am »
This is entirely off topic here but I want to know... Is your red, white, and black 'Album Cover' a reference to THE WHITE STRIPES?

kastawaykid

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 05, 2021, 12:52:54 pm
« Reply #207 on: August 16, 2011, 01:00:03 am »
This is entirely off topic here but I want to know... Is your red, white, and black 'Album Cover' a reference to THE WHITE STRIPES?

I thought that by his name "Top Jimmy Cooks" and the "Album Cover" (Eddie's favorite guitar), that he was probably a Van Halen fan?

ChadTower

• Chief Kicker - Nobody's perfect, including me. Fantastic body.
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 19, 2022, 12:01:54 pm
« Reply #208 on: August 16, 2011, 08:15:52 am »
I averaged it out once... figuring what I spent on buying, repairing, maintaining, and losses/gains on sales versus number of times I played them. 

It came out fairly close to about $1/game and figuring realistically I'm playing 300-400 games a year spread across all my machines, that's not all that bad.

Those guys that buy them, clean them, and flip them are making less than $5/hour doing it and don't believe another word they say if they insist it's much more than that.  

Truth.  The truly profitable flips are few and far between.  Maybe you break even on a really good one these days.  Most you don't and you're doing it because you care about the machine.

The part that I don't get about the $100 loss scenario is the newly acquired skills involved with fixing the game.  That's the main thing I get out of it.  When I got into this hobby I didn't even understand what soldering is nevermind being able to do it.  A few years later I'm the guy everyone gives their expensive stuff in need of repair because "Chad can fix almost anything".  Granted, a lot of that is just being able to find the right forum for advice, but the electrical repair and basic PCB troubleshooting I've picked up is worth way more than $100/machine.  I save more than that every time an appliance dies and I don't have to spend $100 just to get a repair guy on site to look at it.  I have fixed my water heater, my washer twice, my dryer, my dishwasher, and a couple other things with the skills I've picked up from this hobby.

TopJimmyCooks

• Offline Offline
« Reply #209 on: August 16, 2011, 09:12:22 am »

I thought that by his name "Top Jimmy Cooks" and the "Album Cover" (Eddie's favorite guitar), that he was probably a Van Halen fan?

I like the White Stripes too . . . and don't worry, this thread was thoroughly derailed before this tangent cropped up.   :cheers:

whammoed

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 22, 2024, 08:43:18 am
  • Crack don't smoke itself
    • NiceMite
« Reply #210 on: November 07, 2011, 10:40:39 am »
Haven't seen an update on this in months.   This still on track or cancelled?

Jeff AMN

• Offline Offline
    • Gamer Theory
« Reply #211 on: November 07, 2011, 11:02:01 am »
It's still on track, but there seems to be an odd lack of urgency to get the product out. Some days I think it looks amazing, other days I think it looks like pinball soup and confusing. I really can't wait to see how it all plays out, but it is a little unsettling how slowly it's coming together.
http://www.CoinOpShippers.com - The lowest rates on pinball and arcade shipping in the USA.
http://www.thepinballpodcast.com/ - The Pinball Podcast - Two Pinheads Talking Pinball

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #212 on: November 07, 2011, 11:04:04 am »

I'm having trouble coming up with a reason to be emotionally invested.  Yeah, I'd like to see a new pinball vendor, but I don't think I'll ever see one of these.  Or if I do it will be for 10 minutes at some gathering from behind the crowd of guys around it who don't respect people waiting.

jrivelli

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 27, 2012, 05:49:28 pm
  • When you want success as bad as you want to breath
« Reply #213 on: November 08, 2011, 05:29:32 pm »
While I can say it will be nice to have another Pinball vendor out there, it actually won't be. They are aimed at making massively priced home use only games. Not really the type stuff many of us will ever see and no one in their right mind will put out a $7,500 pinball on route. I wouldn't at least, yikes!

I just hope a lot of the parts are going to be common and easy to replace. Nothing like a $7,500 pinball with ultra expensive parts or impossible to find!
Current games:
- Data East Star Wars Pinball
- High Speed Pinball
- Pool Sharks Pinball
- Big Guns Pinball
- Fire! Pinball
- Simpsons 4 Player Arcade
- Mortal Kombat I

Jeff AMN

• Offline Offline
    • Gamer Theory
« Reply #214 on: November 08, 2011, 05:39:42 pm »
They'll be using Bally/Williams parts.

jrivelli

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 27, 2012, 05:49:28 pm
  • When you want success as bad as you want to breath
« Reply #215 on: November 09, 2011, 02:02:41 pm »
The other problem is that there just isn't the market for games to be sold in the 10,000+ mark anymore. It seems like games may move into the ultra expensive HUO. I am really really curious to see how this does in the private market AFTER their first pin. Then again with how long it has taken to make this first pin who knows how long the second will take or if there will ever be one?

My biggest bummer is the chance of playing this is slim to none. None of my friends have $7,500 for a pinball. I need new friends obviously

Current games:
- Data East Star Wars Pinball
- High Speed Pinball
- Pool Sharks Pinball
- Big Guns Pinball
- Fire! Pinball
- Simpsons 4 Player Arcade
- Mortal Kombat I

mebronx2000

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 15, 2023, 02:39:34 pm
« Reply #216 on: November 09, 2011, 07:17:31 pm »
i will take pics when we get it  :applaud: :applaud:

FrizzleFried

• no one listens to me anyway.
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 30, 2023, 01:14:24 pm
    • Idaho Garagecade
« Reply #217 on: November 15, 2011, 03:20:07 pm »
i will take pics when IF we get it  :applaud: :applaud:

Fixed...
Visit my arcade blog at: www.idahogaragecade.com (Updated 10-28-21)

TopJimmyCooks

• Offline Offline
« Reply #218 on: November 15, 2011, 07:28:34 pm »
"i'm talkin' bout my Doorbell, when ya gonna ring it - when ya gonna ring it"  with m' pinball machine?

I don't see the economics of one pinball machine with 5-6 well known engineers & designers working on it for months/years.  Say 7K per machine, they sell 2500??, thats 1.75 mil.  Say these dudes make 75K/year and work on the project for 1 year each that's a third of a mil right there.  overhead, mr' jack's cut, etc. gotta cost something to buy the parts and make the thing ($3K?) anyone know the cost of pinball parts like they do with phones and tablets on ifixit?  Making one game at a time with no ongoing pipeline of machines a/la stern is not a model I would invest in. 

I really hope it gets made and is a good thing for the buyers, and I'd love to play, I'm no snob, I enjoy all themes and play styles so far.  'course these guys are big in the redemption game biz and have forgotten more about the game than I ever knew.  I just don't see how the business model makes sense. 

MaineEvent

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 10, 2015, 07:45:33 pm
« Reply #219 on: November 16, 2011, 08:47:07 pm »
New picture(kind of?) of the prototype
My Games:
Arkanoid

Xiaou2

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 12, 2024, 06:16:00 am
  • NOM NOM NOM
« Reply #220 on: November 17, 2011, 12:30:16 am »
Ohh man, I dare say this will be the most Hideous Pinball ever produced.
>.<

Q*Bert_OP

• Wiki Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 25, 2012, 07:20:42 pm
  • Oh yes, we did!
« Reply #221 on: November 17, 2011, 01:22:09 am »
It's Cirqus Voltaire all over again!!!  :puke
WTB: The Grid by Midway (2001), looking for 2 or more complete games, and large marquee

Necro

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 29, 2022, 08:22:22 pm
  • Building a 'Classic' MAME Cab
« Reply #222 on: November 17, 2011, 08:37:37 am »
New picture(kind of?) of the prototype

Yeah, that's a straight up (poor) photoshop job.

smartbomb2084

• Offline Offline
« Reply #223 on: November 17, 2011, 08:52:42 am »
If this game is going to use WMS mechanical parts does anyone know if the boards will be WPC based too?

Or is all we care to do around here is bash bash bash someone elses work?

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #224 on: November 17, 2011, 09:56:23 am »

I dunno... I don't see that as being any worse than Avatar.  Most people don't hate Avatar. 

Jeff AMN

• Offline Offline
    • Gamer Theory
« Reply #225 on: November 17, 2011, 11:44:08 am »
I just think that after all the Photoshop bashing from the JJP team, they release a machine that's got Photoshop-Fu all over it.

Xiaou2

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 12, 2024, 06:16:00 am
  • NOM NOM NOM
« Reply #226 on: November 17, 2011, 11:58:06 am »
Personally, I cant stand those cheezy break into song movies anymore, with rare exception. Its very annoying.  Imagine a pinball using video clips, singing songs from the WOZ?  Thats no treat to me.

Maybe they think this will attract a lot of children or something.   But thats Way off-base.
For one thing, Pinball isnt a childs game.  And when the kid is finally old enough to be good at them and enjoy/appreciate them, they are not going to be interested in WOZ one bit.

As for the 'Art',  its just not happening.   Even if this is hand painted, with one of these hyper-realistic artists.. it LOOKS like a collage of Photos.  It carries no artistic interpretation, and so it looks cheesy as hell. (like the movie itself)

At least with Avatar, the movie wasnt a bunch of full grow actors in badly made Halloween costumes, and sets that looked like they came out of a high school play.

Of course, I dont like Sterns Avatar look either.  But just sayin..

Vigo

• the Scourage of Carpathia
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 21, 2024, 08:20:28 am
« Reply #227 on: November 17, 2011, 01:18:51 pm »
Personally, I cant stand those cheezy break into song movies anymore, with rare exception. Its very annoying.  Imagine a pinball using video clips, singing songs from the WOZ?  Thats no treat to me.

Heh, yeah. Thinking about it, I can't imagine a much more grating set of songs to have during play. Now if it played Pink Floyd during play....  ;D

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #228 on: November 17, 2011, 02:34:03 pm »

If it played Pink Floyd anyone under 45 would walk away.

HaRuMaN

• Supreme Solder King
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+45)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 03:58:35 pm
  • boom
    • Arcade Madness
« Reply #229 on: November 17, 2011, 02:46:03 pm »

I'm 33 and love Pink Floyd.  Even started to collect vinyl PF albums.

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Trade Count: (+58)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 18, 2024, 03:07:49 pm
  • Have you played with my GingerBalls?
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,142404.msg1475162.html
« Reply #230 on: November 17, 2011, 02:52:44 pm »

I'm 33, love Pink Floyd too. Dark Side of Oz was pretty neat, and I wasn't even high or anything.  I guess Chad thinks Pink Floyd was a 1 hit wonder?
If you're replying to a troll you are part of the problem.
I also need to follow this advice. Ignore or report, don't reply.

HaRuMaN

• Supreme Solder King
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+45)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 03:58:35 pm
  • boom
    • Arcade Madness
« Reply #231 on: November 17, 2011, 03:01:43 pm »

I'm 33, love Pink Floyd too. Dark Side of Oz was pretty neat, and I wasn't even high or anything.  I guess Chad thinks Pink Floyd was a 1 hit wonder?

Tell that to Roger Waters...

Nephasth

« Reply #232 on: November 17, 2011, 03:06:13 pm »

I'm 26 and watched what we called Pink Oz (apparently it's also Dark Side of Oz too) 10 or 11 years ago. Pink Floyd's not bad, I'd rather this pin play that than those damned Wizard of Oz songs...

Donkbaca

• Offline Offline
« Reply #233 on: November 17, 2011, 03:10:41 pm »
Hey! I'm 33 and like Pink Floyd as well!

amendonz

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 02, 2017, 04:33:57 pm
« Reply #234 on: November 17, 2011, 03:42:11 pm »

Necro

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 29, 2022, 08:22:22 pm
  • Building a 'Classic' MAME Cab
« Reply #235 on: November 17, 2011, 08:51:29 pm »

Seconded on the loving pink floyd and being 33.  Not on the vinyl thing.  LAst thing I need is another ---goshdarn--- thing to collect.

Nephasth

« Reply #236 on: November 17, 2011, 09:39:29 pm »
I'm 33 and love Pink Floyd.

I'm 33, love Pink Floyd too.

Hey! I'm 33 and like Pink Floyd as well!

Seconded on the loving pink floyd and being 33.

Hmm... I don't suppose you guys all drink Rolling Rock and attend secret meetings as well?

smartbomb2084

• Offline Offline
« Reply #237 on: November 18, 2011, 08:30:30 am »
Why bother to click posted links, smartbomb?  Much easier to talk trash.   ::)

No need to click posted links when we can have you do the reading for us.  You are all too eager to oblige.

As far as trash talking goes I'm learning from the best around. You.

Donkbaca

• Offline Offline
« Reply #238 on: November 18, 2011, 11:25:03 am »
Hmm... I don't suppose you guys all drink Rolling Rock and attend secret meetings as well?

No, but I did go to club 33 at Disneyland this year...

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 20, 2024, 02:39:34 am
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #239 on: November 18, 2011, 08:12:53 pm »

No, but I did go to club 33 at Disneyland this year...

Lucky bastard!  :angry:
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***